PDA

View Full Version : Cg110 / cg125

Paul in NZ
1st August 2009, 09:52
Tell me about these bikes??? Any worries???

Seems to be hard to find another A100 at a give away price so looking at other options - all i need is a small (50cc is fine) wire wheeled, single cylinder bike for a project - not a complete pile of rusty crap....

eelracing
1st August 2009, 12:09
I learned to ride on a CG 110 and it was a great little bike.The engines will go on forever coz the caning i gave it was merciless.Altho i think from memory 90klm was top wack (and that was downhill).
Fresh oil was about the only maintenance it needed and i even fucked that up.I put in the wrong grade and it overheated and lost power bigtime.Once corrected it still ran fine,enough so that i even took it off roading...great little bikes and I wish i still had one.

SMOKEU
1st August 2009, 12:11
I had a 1977 CG125 for my first bike. A great bike to learn on, very light and easy to control. The centre stand seemed to scrape the ground whenever I leaned to the right though, but I had a great deal of fun on that bike and learnt a lot of valuable skills on it. Not much goes wrong with them, and if you can find a cheap one that goes with a WOF and rego then you won't regret buying it.

fridayflash
1st August 2009, 12:31
my first roadbike was a cg125 about a '77 model too from memory
and i agree they are a great bike, pushrod top end, fun to roar
around napier hill at nights...including all the stairss, alleys and
walking tracks hehe im keeping an eye out for one myself
pre 79 so i can rade it with the local classic club

Motu
1st August 2009, 12:47
Based on the CB,but with a pushrod top end,and 4 speed trans,on the 110 anyway.I read a road test by Bike back in the day,and the CG110 was quicker on the 1/4 mile than the CB125 - the wider powerband and 4 speed box getting the job done better than the sportsbike CB125.Just as bullet proof without wearing out cams,rockers and heads.

I'm thinking one would make a good donor for the Petite....

Kickaha
1st August 2009, 13:03
I'd also look at GN125 you can get them both with wire wheels and disc brake front ends

GN125 also has a lot of "hot up" bits for the DR125 that will fit and as they built them just about forever they wont be hard to get bits for

Here's a GN I prepared earlier
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11644&d=1119170623

Crazy Steve
1st August 2009, 13:05
I have a Honda CG110 rusty piece of crap you can have $50.

Crazy Steve.

Paul in NZ
1st August 2009, 14:38
I have a Honda CG110 rusty piece of crap you can have $50.

Crazy Steve.

Sweet - pm me a picture and I'll figure out how to get it here ;-)

Racing Dave
1st August 2009, 16:15
I agree with all the enthusiasm above.

My CG125 has 65,000 km on the clock, and is still on standard bore and rings.

Much tougher when caned than the OHC engines of the CB series, as the one-lobe camshaft is gear driven, and supported on actual ball bearings, so when the oil gets hot or low there's little to go wrong. The gearbox can be annoying with the four-down shift pattern, but a CB100 assembly will slip straight in and give you normal shifting.

Buy the $50 bargain, and enjoy.

Oakie
1st August 2009, 16:52
Mrs Oakie's first bike about 28 years ago was a CG125. Great wee thing. Never did a thing to it and eventually traded in on a Morris 1100 so we had a car for our honeymoon.

fliplid
2nd August 2009, 18:00
Had a CB125-J for a while as a cheapie to run around on. Was pretty bomb proof despite being a bit of an oldie at the time. All I had to change while I had it was the rectifier (busted connector in the resin!) and the exhaust- which was rusted through when I bought it.

classicbikie
26th August 2009, 16:24
GO the cg110 cheap learner bike i just got back from a year and a half in aus cleaned all the rust outta the carby and me wee cg110 started after about five kicks, these things were made to be treated like shit,for the thailand market with poor fuel and oil, and will go forever, but they are shit slow so dont get to0 excited.