View Full Version : My first attempt at baking scones

Big Dan
1st August 2009, 17:08
Here is some photos of my first shot at baking

let me know what ya think

Mom
1st August 2009, 17:10
Bored? Wet day?

Actually they look quite good mate. I well remember my first attempt at scones. Followed the recipe to the absolute finest detail. The things came out like rocks, no shit, even the birds could not eat them :pinch:

paturoa
1st August 2009, 17:12
Jam on a cheese scone - what were you thinking?

Big Dan
1st August 2009, 17:13
got a road trip tomorrow and wanted to bake a few things the only proble i see with theses is the bottom is a little hard and they didn't rise but they tast great

made 22 and so far had 7-8 oops might have to make another batch

Big Dan
1st August 2009, 17:14

that they will taste great - Which THEY DO :P

James Deuce
1st August 2009, 17:15
Get.

A.

Bike.

Go.

For.

A.

Ride.

Please.

Virago
1st August 2009, 17:17
http://www.kiwibaker.co.nz

Big Dan
1st August 2009, 17:17
Get.

A.

Bike.

Go.

For.

A.

Ride.

Please.

Piss of JD do you want to buy me one :P

mmm theses taste so good might have another

James Deuce
1st August 2009, 17:19
That's piss "OFF".

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/picture.php?albumid=581&pictureid=28760

Big Dan
1st August 2009, 17:23
That's piss "OFF".

no i was meant to say piss of cause i didn't think your worthy of the other "f"

now if you would kindly play nice it would be great

James Deuce
1st August 2009, 17:29
Piss of whom?

Ixion
1st August 2009, 17:33
Thou art young, so thy offence may perhaps be forgotten in time.

But for the future, take this caution to heart.

Bikers do not bake scones. Ever. It is an offence of the same nature as eating quiche. Just don't do it.

Cooking is fine. So long as it involves meat. But not scones. That's women's work.

PrincessBandit
1st August 2009, 17:38
Bikers do not bake scones. Ever. It is an offence of the same nature as eating quiche. Just don't do it.

But presumably women bikers can? Lots of us do. Any I can tell you that there would be many a woman who'd love their biker man to be able to bake - even scones!

You sound like you've been on a diet of grapes. Of the sour variety. :bleh:

Good on ya baker Dan. I'm all for men's equality!!

Maha
1st August 2009, 17:38
Here is some photos of my first shot at baking

let me know what ya think

They look devine....I can almost smell em....
What are those little brownish things? please dont tell me they're sultanas.

PrincessBandit
1st August 2009, 17:40

Shhhh, don't tell anyone, rabbit droppings are the secret ingredient.

Big Dan
1st August 2009, 17:41
Thou art young, so thy offence may perhaps be forgotten in time.

But for the future, take this caution to heart.

Cooking is fine. So long as it involves meat. But not scones. That's women's work.

nice to see that sexism is alive in KB

Grow up and get with the times woman can do anything

Its my life also and i'll bake when i want to and before JD says his two cents worth sure i don't have a bike but for thoses who think i shouldn't be on this site for that then get over yourselves and get over it its rather boresome now

Big Dan
1st August 2009, 17:44

its just a little bit of melted cheese thats all

Maha
1st August 2009, 17:52
its just a little bit of melted cheese thats all

What a relief...now tell me, you didnt wear an apron whilst baking did you? :confused:

I remember my first attempt at scones, school 1974, mine came out flat and grey looking, even the birds wouldn't touch them, I forgot the baking powder so the teacher, bless her, gave me hers...:wari:

Big Dan
1st August 2009, 18:00
What a relief...now tell me, you didnt wear an apron whilst baking did you? :confused:

I remember my first attempt at scones, school 1974, mine came out flat and grey looking, even the birds wouldn't touch them, I forgot the baking powder so the teacher, bless her, gave me hers...:wari:

no no no apron

Ixion
1st August 2009, 18:08
But presumably women bikers can? Lots of us do. Any I can tell you that there would be many a woman who'd love their biker man to be able to bake - even scones!

To be sure, woman bikers may bake scones. And eat quiche , if they wish. It's excused for them, being women and all. 'twouldn't be right to hold the weaker sex to the same standards as the menfolk.

But proper bloke type blokes all know that there are certain things a genuine bloke doesn't do. Not ever. Not even Honda riding ones. Sourdough damper, maybe. Scones or quiche, no. (Unless they actually work as bakers , of course. That's different) .

Not even limited to bikers. No fair dinkum bastard, biker or no, ever baked a scone.

AllanB
1st August 2009, 18:14
But proper bloke type blokes all know that there are certain things a genuine bloke doesn't do. Not ever. Not even Honda riding ones. Sourdough damper, maybe. Scones or quiche, no. (Unless they actually work as bakers , of course. That's different) .

Not even limited to bikers. No fair dinkum bastard, biker or no, ever baked a scone.

Hmmm (as he checks his penis is still present).

I actually whip up a bloody good scone :done:
I find adding a cup or so of milk to the mixture makes them fluffier and lighter.
Saving weight is good if you are carrying scones on your motorcycle :laugh:

Big Dan
1st August 2009, 18:20
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons butter
about cup or maybe a bit more milk.

mix flour and baking powder together, rub in the butter then mix in milk with a knife. Use a small amount of milk gradually until mix is only just damp. Not sloppy. Turn out onto a sprinkling of flour, shape, then cut into shapes. Bake in a hot oven at about 450F or 230C.

AllanB
1st August 2009, 18:23
Excellent - nice with a ice cold glass of beer :sunny:

Big Dan
1st August 2009, 18:26
we all should make scones tonight and take photos and PM ixion and show him males can so bake

allycatz
1st August 2009, 18:28
Big Dan...general rule of scone making one and half tsp baking powder to every cup flour. Rise up awesomely well. As little handling as possible of the mixture

Ixion
1st August 2009, 18:29
You confuse "may" and "can". Males certainly *can* bake scones. Just as they *can* take it up the arse.

But the two capabilities are alike in that they *may* not be done without shame.

jono035
1st August 2009, 18:36
You confuse "may" and "can". Males certainly *can* bake scones. Just as they *can* take it up the arse.

But the two capabilities are alike in that they *may* not be done without shame.

Yikes.

I enjoy cooking but don't bake all that much, find it a bit fiddly at times. Haven't done scones since home ec in high school but made some pretty awesome apple muffins with a cinnamon custard center the other day...

Keep up the good work Dan!

ynot slow
1st August 2009, 18:36
Only nanas' can make scones well,my nana had an old coal range which added to the flavour,she hated the oven for scones,they had the coalrange for years to heat the kitchen and water via wetback,think they were 60 before they got gas hot water on,and a heater in the lounge,and the house was 80yrs old then 20 yrs ago plus.

Mum doesn't do a bad batch either lol.

Kickaha
1st August 2009, 18:48

Especially without whipped cream

PrincessBandit
1st August 2009, 18:51
... the two capabilities are alike in that they *may* not be done without shame.

Hahaha, tell that to certain well known members of this site..... (they probably make scones too, with cream)

allycatz
1st August 2009, 18:59
So which one of you kitchen bitches can make a decent pavlova? :third:

oldguy
1st August 2009, 19:00

haha if only women who ride (bikes) could cook, the modern woman is to busy trying to be a man, or better than a man, they have forgottin the skills, haha hasn't been a woman that can cook since my Mum:love: :done:

My fav dish for days like today

1 take one phone.
2 dial 0800.....
3 wait approx 30min
4 dingding at the front door, means its ready

and a must with this is a good:beer: to wash that awesome dinner down.

and doing the dishes what dishes.

JMemonic
1st August 2009, 19:01
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons butter
about cup or maybe a bit more milk.

mix flour and baking powder together, rub in the butter then mix in milk with a knife. Use a small amount of milk gradually until mix is only just damp. Not sloppy. Turn out onto a sprinkling of flour, shape, then cut into shapes. Bake in a hot oven at about 450F or 230C.

As has been said increase the baking power, rub the butter in with your fingers not a knife, for cheese scones add the cheese to the mixture before the milk and rub that in again with the fingers.

If you want really easy scone lemonade scones are easy as.

Been baking and cooking to feed a family since I was 8, and then to survive, very handy skills to have.

allycatz
1st August 2009, 19:03
As has been said increase the baking power, rub the butter in with your fingers not a knife, for cheese scones add the cheese to the mixture before the milk and rub that in again with the fingers.

If you want really easy scone lemonade scones are easy as.

Been baking and cooking to feed a family since I was 8, and then to survive, very handy skills to have.

Nah grate the butter in AND mix with a knife very quickly

jono035
1st August 2009, 19:19

Wouldn't even bother trying in our current flat as our oven is utterly terrible, although I've had success under my Mum's direction with her oven.

Kickaha
1st August 2009, 19:39

Not me, but I do a fairly decent sponge cake

davebullet
1st August 2009, 20:06
Na.na.na.na.no! You guys have it all wrong.

Here's your scone recipe.
4 cups self raising flour (or 4 standard and 4 teasp. baking powder)
300ml cream
300ml lemonade (or L&P)

Yup - no joke.

And before anyone says anything about bikers and scones, real bikers know how to make emergency scones for long rides. Don't you know that a scone is the next best thing to a pie?

CookMySock
1st August 2009, 20:09
the only proble i see with theses is the bottom is a little hard and they didn't rise but they tast greatHehe, don't eat too many of those. ;)

Here are the tricks to scones ;

One cup of flour and one and a bit teaspoon and a bit of baking powder.

Oven must be fully pre-heated (250oC) and tray must be cold.

Grate the butter and/or cheese with the cheese grater and then rub it into the flour really well - takes a good five minutes to do this.

Never never never mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until you are 100% ready to slam them in the oven.

Don't make scone dough - make scone batter. Yes, they should be dry enough only to stand up on the tray. Any wetter and they run of the edge.

Don't over-stir the mixture once the wet and dry ingredients are combined. Stir to combine, and then onto the floured tray in dollops and straight into the oven - no distractions or hesitation.

Scones are a very rewarding thing to master.

Steve

Pedrostt500
1st August 2009, 20:35
got a road trip tomorrow and wanted to bake a few things the only proble i see with theses is the bottom is a little hard and they didn't rise but they tast great

made 22 and so far had 7-8 oops might have to make another batch

They must be the famous fighting scones then.

Kickaha
1st August 2009, 20:37
They must be the famous fighting scones then.

Is that related to Dwarf bread?

Argyle
1st August 2009, 20:44
Those scones look tasty mate!

Pedrostt500
1st August 2009, 21:13
Is that related to Dwarf bread?

In a word Yup. for close combat use only.

PrincessBandit
1st August 2009, 21:20
... hasn't been a woman that can cook since my Mum:love: :done:

My fav dish for days like today

1 take one phone.
2 dial 0800.....
3 wait approx 30min
4 dingding at the front door, means its ready
You forgot to sing "83 83 83"

Nah grate the butter in AND mix with a knife very quickly
I cheat and use food processor.

Na.na.na.na.no! You guys have it all wrong.

Here's your scone recipe.
4 cups self raising flour (or 4 standard and 4 teasp. baking powder)
300ml cream
300ml lemonade (or L&P)

Yup - no joke.

Have made that recipe myself. Not as good in my opinion but still does the trick!

Scones are a very rewarding thing to master.

Steve

Certainly are! A favourite lunch on Sunday in our house - quick to make up: a 50/50 of cheese ones and mixed fruit ones.

Big Dan
2nd August 2009, 08:08
Theses have come out much better

ENJOY the view

jono035
2nd August 2009, 09:27

ENJOY the view

Looking good, I've got a loaf of wholemeal bread with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and linseed due to come out of the breadmaker in a little while then I might do a loaf of focaccia to take to uni on monday...

If the oven is going to be hot anyway I may have to give a couple of the scone recipes here a shot.

In fact, I'm going to go turn the oven on!

Nasty
2nd August 2009, 09:46

ENJOY the view

Bloody hell you are getting skilled .. and not just at the photography thing ;) .. they look tastey ... one thing to add is cayenne paper just a small pinch .. helps to flavour them up a little.

That is for the savoury scones ... not sweet!

Owl
2nd August 2009, 09:55

Don't look at me. My pavlova closely resembled Big Dan's plate.

Failed to fully read the recipe before seperating the eggs, then realised I needed an egg beater. Bloody sore arm trying to form peaks with a fork, but fuck I tried!

Moral of the story = Epic Fail!:crybaby:

Edit: Bloody nice looking scones Dan!!!

yungatart
2nd August 2009, 10:48
My nana made the BEST scones.
She used the standard ingredients BUT melted the butter and replaced half of the milk with HOT water. They always went in to a COLD oven.
Absolutely divine!
I still make scones her way...sh's been dead nearly 30 years now, bless her!

tri boy
2nd August 2009, 11:16
Ixion is right!
for the love of all that is manly Dan, get outta the kitchen!
Women will expect all of us to do that stuff soon. Your setting a dangerous precedent.
Next you'll be frecking ironing.:shit:

Kickaha
2nd August 2009, 12:02

Now that would be one step to far

jono035
2nd August 2009, 13:01
Now that would be one step to far

Or be a real man and don't wear shit that needs ironing!

Owl: I remember having to do that for home ec in high school, beating egg whites to be able to peak using nothing but a fork. Have done it twice since then and both times have ended up swearing about it and vowing 'never again'...

ynot slow
2nd August 2009, 13:06
beating egg whites to be able to peak using nothing but a fork. Have done it twice since then and both times have ended up swearing about it and vowing 'never again'...

From the Tim Taylor toolman school a cordless drill is your friend,true.If you can find one beater,or improvise making fork round to stick in chuck.

Ixion
2nd August 2009, 13:22
Bloody hell.

The metrosexual malaise is worse than I thought.

At least now I'll be able to guffaw, knowing that half the bad-ass bikers and Rossi lookalikes are going to head home after their HOG rides and Rat raids, and slip into a nice frilly pinny to whip up a batch of scones. Or quiche.

I limited my last nights culinary efforts to proper man-type bloke cooking - a nice bit of roast beef, roast potatoes, onions, green beans, mushrooms and gravy.

Very nice it was too. proper bloke food, cooked the proper bloke way.

Gawd knows what the metrosexuals eat when they're not scoffing their quiche and scones. Vegetarian fritatta and tofu I imagine.

tri boy
2nd August 2009, 14:04
Some tips for the errrr new age blokes.
Mans Vacume cleaner= Lawn mower. (Briggs n Stratton for the four stroke blokes, Tecumseh for the two smokers).
Mans spatula/egg flipper= Spade.
Mans Iron=Soldering Iron, (preferably kerosine heated, but large electrical will suffice).
Mans washing machine= Water Blaster, (minimun 1500psi. Steam Cleaner fuel by kerosine/diesel =much manly praise).
Mans clippers= chainsaw.
Mans cleaning up technique= Water Blaster/Bon Fire/Explosives.

Please add as you see fit.
(namby pamby replies will have you banished from the "He Man" club.:stoogie:

ynot slow
2nd August 2009, 15:28
Mans electric mixer-Concrete mixer,makes huge batches.

Big Dan
2nd August 2009, 16:56
Ixion is right!
for the love of all that is manly Dan, get outta the kitchen!
Women will expect all of us to do that stuff soon. Your setting a dangerous precedent.

here you go boys thought you both might like a couple of pics

now you have to ask yourself 2 questions

1.Did i really use theses?
2.Am i taking the piss

i'll leave that to your imagination

yungatart
2nd August 2009, 16:58
here you go boys thought you both might like a couple of pics

now you have to ask yourself 2 questions

1.Did i really use theses?
2.Am i taking the piss

i'll leave that to your imagination

All I can say is...will you marry me?:love:
A man who bakes, irons, and dusts....how incredibly sexy!!

MSTRS
2nd August 2009, 16:59

You do realise that once you marry them, they stop doing whatever it was that attracted you to them in the first place? DAMHIK

Big Dan
2nd August 2009, 17:00

Ahh KB dating at its best :)

Big Dan
2nd August 2009, 17:01
You do realise that once you marry them, they stop doing whatever it was that attracted you to them in the first place? DAMHIK

Real men stay true to there word and continue to treat ladies well :sunny:

Ixion
2nd August 2009, 17:20
Mans electric mixer-Concrete mixer,makes huge batches.

Hm. I think that scones mixed in a concrete mixer would class as Bloke-Approved. What would you use to bake 'em? A brick kiln would probably work well.

*That* sort of scone baking would be neither metro nor homo (sort of same thing isn't it?)

Oakie
2nd August 2009, 19:41
I got home for lunch one day when fairly newly married and Mrs Oakie had made scones which hadn't risen. Silly me walks in and says, "Mmm yum, pikelets for lunch". I nearly wore one right between the eyes and that probably would have been a fatal blow. Bit of a standing joke in our family now and both daughters scones still seem to rise more than hers.

Gareth51
2nd August 2009, 21:52

Pavlova yes,scones NO.. don't make what I don't like

mossy1200
2nd August 2009, 22:00
trick with scones is very small amount of salt and dont mix with your hands.
i use big plastic spoons and dont touch the mix at all.
they just seem to rise a lot more.

Why do i know this?
Because my wife cant cook.She has other attributes though.

Kiwi Graham
2nd August 2009, 22:02
Had a baking session today with mr 4, caster sugar and flour every where. Had a fukin great time, cakes tasted nice too. He only whats to bake cakes so he can lick the bowl afterwards.
Its all in the way you fold in the flour ;)

Swoop
3rd August 2009, 09:55
Meh. Ginger Crunch is where it is at!!

http://www.kiwibaker.co.nz
Linky is broken...:whistle: