PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Wellington got off a parking ticket?

pieman
1st August 2009, 21:17
Hi everyone,

On Friday I came back to my bike parked on the Lambton Quay bike park to find $200 worth of tickets, $200 for expired wof and $200 for either expired rego or they didn't look hard enough for it. I just comepletely overlooked both having been expired, went down 1st thing the next day and renewed both.

SO I'm guilty I know that I just didn't check the dates, I see looking on the interwebs that some other local councils allow 28 days to show you've got your wof and reg and they waive the tickets. $400 is a hell of a lot to get stung for!!!

Has anyone had any experience in this issue, I see lots of post from Akl about similar issues, but gather each council will have ther own rules, WCC has nothing on the matter on its website.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance
q

Trudes
2nd August 2009, 02:58
I had a jolly good e-mail fight with the wankers at Wilson Parking who ticketed my car while I was parked at the hospital. Aparantly I was 10 minutes over my time.... not that I ever recieved an actual ticket, first I heard of it was when I got a reminder that I had 21 days to pay it before they started charging me an extra $20 or something. So when I disputed it they had my number plate registered to a car that I don't and never have owned (personalised plate... they swapped an 0 for an O) when I queried that they then did what any dumbfuck can do and did a plate search and came up with our vehicle.... except that at the time the ticket was issued we hadn't bought that vehicle yet. So anyway I sent them e-mail messages every day for a month about this shit, they stopped replying to me and I figured I might as well just pay their stinking $40 ticket before it went up to $60 and I still got made to jump through hoops and get no explanation from them as to why they are such dumbarses who can't get a vehicle's registration details correct. Must be all the canibalism they do down there.
Anyway...... good luck with that.:mellow:

James Deuce
2nd August 2009, 08:20
Ummm, that's not a parking ticket.

All you can do is write in with proof that you sorted it the next day and see if they'll let you off.

You could request a court hearing, but if you lose (and you probably will) you'll have court costs added to the bill.

Trudes: That one would have gone to court, all the proof supported your case and the Judge would have spanked the ticketing agency HARD. WCC got fined $15000 for forcing my wife through two court cases after ticketing a car in Tory St and getting the rego wrong. The ticket was issued before she moved to Wellington, and she had proof that the car was in the Auckland Hospital staff carpark at the time it was supposed to be in Tory St.

If you have a valid reason for getting off a ticket you will.

Max Preload
2nd August 2009, 13:56
I had a jolly good e-mail fight with the wankers at Wilson Parking who ticketed my car while I was parked at the hospital. Aparantly I was 10 minutes over my time.... not that I ever recieved an actual ticket, first I heard of it was when I got a reminder that I had 21 days to pay it before they started charging me an extra $20 or something. So when I disputed it they had my number plate registered to a car that I don't and never have owned (personalised plate... they swapped an 0 for an O) when I queried that they then did what any dumbfuck can do and did a plate search and came up with our vehicle.... except that at the time the ticket was issued we hadn't bought that vehicle yet. So anyway I sent them e-mail messages every day for a month about this shit, they stopped replying to me and I figured I might as well just pay their stinking $40 ticket before it went up to $60 and I still got made to jump through hoops and get no explanation from them as to why they are such dumbarses who can't get a vehicle's registration details correct. Must be all the canibalism they do down there.

If it was Wilson Parking you shouldn't have paid. They don't have the power to fine you but they make their "infringement notice" look suspiciously like the real thing to try and intimidate you into paying stupid amounts of money for miniscule breaches. All they did was INVOICE you and you can dispute the amount and offer to settle on a pro-rata basis for their loss of income for you continuing to park in the spot after the time you had paid for had passed. They can *TRY* and lodge it for collection but you just dispute that too and it has no bearing on your credit rating. Add that to the fact you didn't even own the car at the time and they don't have a leg to stand on.

I'd fight it all the way, but I'm a cunt like that - I don't let these fuckers bully me - I just get informed.

Max Preload
2nd August 2009, 14:01
On Friday I came back to my bike parked on the Lambton Quay bike park to find $200 worth of tickets, $200 for expired wof and $200 for either expired rego or they didn't look hard enough for it. I just completely overlooked both having been expired, went down 1st thing the next day and renewed both.

What? They didn't look hard enough or it was expired?

I have grave concerns for the future of mankind, not for any natural or man-invented catastrophe like anthropogenic global warming or cooling (whatever it is, week by week), but simply the inability for people to even fucking well communicate coherently.

pieman
2nd August 2009, 17:12
My Reg had expired, it expired at the same time as the wof, but the wording on the ticket says:

"Using a vehicle while not displaying a current licence label in the manner required"

So it was expired but that wording on the ticket indicates that the guy couldn't see it, it was on the swing arm like alot of bikes, and how I brought it.

Were you taking the piss? or interested in helping?

Thanks
q

Max Preload
2nd August 2009, 17:46
My Reg had expired, it expired at the same time as the wof, but the wording on the ticket says:

"Using a vehicle while not displaying a current licence label in the manner required"

So it was expired but that wording on the ticket indicates that the guy couldn't see it, it was on the swing arm like alot of bikes, and how I brought it.

Were you taking the piss? or interested in helping?

Thanks
q

A bit of both. What about the wording of the WoF one?

Write to them asking for the specific regulation that prescribes the manner of placement of the licence label on a motorcycle, enclosing a picture of it's position from a distance so they can't actually make out it's a new one. They won't be able to because it doesn't exist. Make no mention of the fact that it was expired - they won't check - they work at the council because they're lazy and not pro-active so that's the only place that will have them.

Naturally, they'll refuse your explanation anyway with bullshit like "Having given consideration to all the circumstances we have decided that the infringement offence notice still stands. As such you are required to pay within 28-days". Then write back requesting a hearing. If you word it right, they'll drop it because they know they won't win, although the actual chances of you doing that, given your first post, are quite slim. :bleh:

jaykay
2nd August 2009, 17:59
As Max preload says a Wilson Parking ticket is an unenforcorceable invoice and they NEVER need paying.

As for the WCC tickets, I would almost guarantee the Reminder Notice will be prejudicial and invalid. Wait until you receive them and check if they have given you 28 days from the date you get them to either pay or request a hearing. If they have only given you 28 days from the date they sent them then they are meaningless.

However they can't be ignored - reply thus: "Until your purported Reminder Notice for alleged offence xxxxxxxx complies with the Summary Proceedings Act 1957:- A hearing is requested".

Post back when you have some sort of response from the council.

jaykay
4th January 2010, 14:22
Thought I'd reactivate this thread rather than start a new one - as it has come to pass that the CCC have (finally) decided to take me to court. The big day out is the 20th of this month.

The alleged offence is not displaying a valid pay and display ticket - the problem is that the Reminder Notice is defective - put simply the time they are allowing for payment of the infringment fee is LESS than the law states, and the council can't write it's own laws. Hence the process is outside the law and meaningless.

If the council loses in court, they have a problem (a big problem as they are pulling in $8,000,000 a year in fines) - if they win then they have a problem, as I will appeal to the High Court (which will cost them considerably more than the $40).

As luck would have it an aquaintance is working as a PA in Christchurch, and says that my name is being used by the council in training manuals and lectures to emphasise that they must get their paperwork correct, because on the last couple of occasions in court I've had to pay $42 (in total), they have had to pay a few thousand. Perhaps they have decided it is better to take me to court as they will get their defective paperwork sorted (by me) for free, as the various lawyers they employ seem unable to perform this basic task.

PS Wilson Parking and other similar tickets are still unenforceable and uncollectable, ignore them. They are an unsolicited invoice which can be safely filed in the bin - you will not be taken to court and it will not affect your credit rating.

Berries
4th January 2010, 23:27
Did you have a valid ticket when you got booked ?

I have always wondered why bikes use pay and display parking. Obviously there is nowhere safe to stick the ticket so there is a good chance you'll get booked. Maybe it's a Dunedin thing, there are that many places you can park a bike in town without paying I am just always surprised when I see a bike taking up a car space when there is free bike parking less than a block away.

Hawkeye
5th January 2010, 06:53
In Wellington, they passed a by-law specifically excluding the use of pay and display parks by bikes unless it is a single machine per bay (Which I don't know of any in Welly)

Ratti
5th January 2010, 14:18
In Wellington, they passed a by-law specifically excluding the use of pay and display parks by bikes unless it is a single machine per bay (Which I don't know of any in Welly)

Does this mean that I can park in a PnD car spot and not have to pay?

Jon Visser
6th January 2010, 11:32

No - the Bylaw (see 6.5 of http://wellington.govt.nz/plans/bylaws/traffic.html) states that motorcycles may not use P&D spaces at all.

Broomrider
11th January 2010, 07:41
The alleged offence is not displaying a valid pay and display ticket -

This is the offence you can fight, there is no where on a bike you can safely put a pay and display ticket. You got one it was blown away in the wind or it was stolen...CCC do not supply us with enough/any motorcycle parks in the city and if they do they are few and far between, I have seen one of late and that is in Rangiora... so tell the judge you paid but it went missing, and that almost all streets in CHCH CBD are pay and display so what choice do you have....

the problem is that the Reminder Notice is defective - put simply the time they are allowing for payment of the infringment fee is LESS than the law states, and the council can't write it's own laws. Hence the process is outside the law and meaningless.

The reminder notice is secondary and if the judge says to you..." did you park there? did you get the original ticket? ... if you answer yes, he can tell you that you did receive notice and you were aware of the fine... case closed if he wants to be a pedantic bastard.

Unless you can produce proof that the CCC are using your case for training to emphasise that they must get their paperwork correct, therefore proving that CCC did stuff up, this will be dimissed as hearsay.

jaykay
25th January 2010, 08:26
Interesting articles in the Dom Post and The Press over the weekend concerning the parking tickets and quotas. Purely by coincidence I asked a Christchurch Parking attendant a couple of questions whilst he was on the witness stand last week. 1 - Do you have a quota for writing tickets? No. 2. Do you have a performance target? after some interjections by the JPs and prosecutor the eventual answer was again No. According to the newspaper articles these answers were not correct. Watch this space for what could become interesting.........

However the point of this post is to alert everyone to these facts. It takes literally months for a disputed ticket to end up in court, and the Dom post article says the average time as a Parking Attendant in Wellington is only a year - and the Parking Attendant HAS to be in court to give evidence - if he is no longer a Parking Attendant the prosecution will fail. Dispute a ticket the correct way, and the chances are you'll never have to pay.

firefighter
25th January 2010, 09:27
No - the Bylaw (see 6.5 of http://wellington.govt.nz/plans/bylaws/traffic.html) states that motorcycles may not use P&D spaces at all.

How this is not discrimmination is beyond me........

I suppose it's a good way to pick on/discourage those helping to reduce congestion, good old Kiwi attitude and foresight.

Fuck i'm embarrassed to be a kiwi sometimes.

red mermaid
25th January 2010, 09:42
This is the offence you can fight, there is no where on a bike you can safely put a pay and display ticket. You got one it was blown away in the wind or it was stolen...CCC do not supply us with enough/any motorcycle parks in the city and if they do they are few and far between, I have seen one of late and that is in Rangiora... so tell the judge you paid but it went missing, and that almost all streets in CHCH CBD are pay and display so what choice do you have....

The reminder notice is secondary and if the judge says to you..." did you park there? did you get the original ticket? ... if you answer yes, he can tell you that you did receive notice and you were aware of the fine... case closed if he wants to be a pedantic bastard.

Unless you can produce proof that the CCC are using your case for training to emphasise that they must get their paperwork correct, therefore proving that CCC did stuff up, this will be dimissed as hearsay.

So I take it the best legal advice you have is to go to Court, tell lies, and therefore perjure yourself in front of the Judge.

You know of course that the penalty for perjury is prison?

jaykay
25th January 2010, 12:48
As there is no requirement to take the witness stand which means the judge cannot ask the question, there is no question of telling lies.

Anyway - has anyone got a Council Reminder Notice issued within the last few months?

I could do with knowing how Further Action 3 on the reverse is worded - and if the Due Date is 28 days from the date the notice was posted OR 28 days from the date the notice was received.

I have a Christchurch example, any other council ones would be useful.

PuppetMaster
10th February 2010, 12:51
To answer the original poster. yes, you can get off tickets from WCC. I got one for not displaying my rego properly or something (it was ages ago). It is behind the number plate but the nub warden maggot obviously couldnt be fucked looking properly and gave me a ticket. I took some photo's and sent the WCC a letter asking why I could see the rego and the warden cunty couldnt. They took my case no further. Ofcourse it didnt help their case that the faggot warden cunty bitch wrote down the wrong street where the offence occurred, apparently they didnt know the road they were on was called Lambton Quay, dumb farkers.
Good luck egtting off both Warrant and Rego though.

beachbiker
29th July 2010, 14:46
Hi guys,

Wel i just came from town (central auckland). Was there to pick something up so I parked in a hidden carpark expecting no warden to be patrolling around there within the next ten mins so I didnt get a ticket. To my suprise I returned ten minutes later to find i had a ticket for $60!

Now I dont want to pay this as I didnt want to pay the $4 minimum to park there in the first place.

I was hoping you could give me some advice Jaykay?

I noticed you previously said "PS Wilson Parking and other similar tickets are still unenforceable and uncollectable, ignore them. They are an unsolicited invoice which can be safely filed in the bin - you will not be taken to court and it will not affect your credit rating."

Is this true as it is a wilson parking ticket? Also it was my partners car so I need to get it sorted. Dont know if it helps but on the ticket it states the car is "grey" when it is clearly black. Dont know if this will help.

Any thoughts on this matter are much appreciated/

Thanks

Neshi
30th July 2010, 00:35

I put it in between spots. I've even done it in front of the people that check the pay n display and they never said anything. Cars can still get in and out of their spots, and you can park freely.

[ carspot ]bike[ carspot ] but with the butt of the bike to the curb of course..

Berries
30th July 2010, 08:36
Wel i just came from town (central auckland). Was there to pick something up so I parked in a hidden carpark expecting no warden to be patrolling around there within the next ten mins so I didnt get a ticket. To my suprise I returned ten minutes later to find i had a ticket for $60! Now I dont want to pay this as I didnt want to pay the $4 minimum to park there in the first place.
Hang on. You parked a car in a parking space and purposefully didn't buy a ticket and expect to get off the fine for not purchasing said ticket ? How's that going to work then ? Good luck finding that loophole.

spacemonkey
30th July 2010, 09:37

You know it wouldn't surprise me if it were to show up on a Baycorp credit check..........Wilson are cunts like that.:2guns:

rastuscat
30th July 2010, 09:44
...............but the same old advice still applies.

Don't park illegally and you won't get a parking ticket.

Is there any part of this you want explained further? I've just read the post from beach biker, and can't believe the things people expect to be able to do with no consequences.

He wanted to save himself $4, then rants about how unfair the whole thing is. Tripe.

So there.

Max Preload
30th July 2010, 14:06
Don't park illegally and you won't get a parking ticket.Patently untrue. I've had 'parking tickets' when I've been parked legally. I disputed them with copies of the relevant legislation and it still took a few letters ending with letters asking to be notified of the date of the defended hearing to get them dropped.

rastuscat
30th July 2010, 16:15
Patently untrue. I've had 'parking tickets' when I've been parked legally. I disputed them with copies of the relevant legislation and it still took a few letters ending with letters asking to be notified of the date of the defended hearing to get them dropped.

Go back and read the thread. Beachbiker admitted parking illegally, then bitched about getting a ticket.

I'm certainly not saying that the enforcement people never make mistakes, just that there are lots of people doing things they won't admit.

Maybe I should modify my advice. Don't break the law and it's most unlikely you'll get ticketed.

That better?

Max Preload
30th July 2010, 17:59
Go back and read the thread. Beachbiker admitted parking illegally, then bitched about getting a ticket.

You didn't quote anyone so your post was a clear statement, not directed at a particular event or post. I'm not going to waste my time guessing who or what you were directing a post at. You made a blanket statement: I refuted it.

I'm certainly not saying that the enforcement people never make mistakes, just that there are lots of people doing things they won't admit.

Maybe I should modify my advice. Don't break the law and it's most unlikely you'll get ticketed.

That better?

It's better. But I still dispute your claim that it's unlikely. Almost half of my parking tickets have been successfully defended and I've yet to lose on one I have defended.

spacemonkey
30th July 2010, 18:56
I'm not going to waste my time guessing who or what you were directing a post at. You made a blanket statement: I refuted it.

And that was how it looked to me too.

jaykay
6th August 2010, 15:49
Just to remind everyone that so called parking tickets issued by private companies are an invoice and do NOT need paying.

A private parking company (such as Wilson) cannot issue "fines", as they are not enforcers of the law. In theory they could take you to something like the disputes tribunal for damages to the car park or loss of income, trying to charge more than the original amount is not enforceable. ie they cannot make you pay.

In the unlikely event Wilson tried to take legal action, (which they won't), and you didn't turn up (which you would to claim damages from them), and they won (very difficult), you could apply for a rehearing. Do you think hey are going to spend time and money knowing they will never get anywhere?

Got delayed myself a few months ago at the local mall, and spent about 30 minutes in a ten minute slot. All correspondence has gone in the bin.

Do NOT ignore council or police tickets, legal or illegal. Personally I always go to court, had another speeding ticket dropped in Rangiora a couple of weeks ago, the police had almost everything wrong. And yes, I'm off to the High Court again for costs.

Berries
8th August 2010, 07:24
If that is true, and I have no reason not to believe you, wouldn't it make more sense to keep quiet about it ? The only possible result will be that the parking company loses money due to nobody paying for tickets anymore so some legislation will be changed or introduced to close the loophole that was giving you free parking. Or they close the car park. Either way, you lose.

marie_speeds
8th August 2010, 09:07
Parking companies getting clever! Some have started clamping vehicles, and the bastards won't take it off until you fork out the money.

Max Preload
9th August 2010, 01:19
Parking companies getting clever! Some have started clamping vehicles, and the bastards won't take it off until you fork out the money.Clever? No. You may remove them yourself and there's nothing they can do.

St_Gabriel
9th August 2010, 20:55
can they clamp bikes? wouldnt have thought they would be made for them....