PDA

View Full Version : Your assistance please...

Skinny_Birdman
2nd August 2009, 12:17
I have recently come into contact with the small team who are restoring De Havilland Mosquito aircraft NZ2328 at Ferrymead, in Christchurch. Upon hearing that I was a biker they asked if I knew anyone who rode classic bikes. The part pictured below is a terminal cap from an electrical component. They have been unable to source them in this particular size from any automotive electrical outlet, and have only been quoted outrageous prices to get the genuine article from England. Apparently, however, the same part or something similar appeared on some classic British motorbikes. Does anyone recognise it, and/or can anyone suggest where I might get hold of some (they need 8)? Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
A

Blackbird
2nd August 2009, 14:34
Sorry I can't help but regarding the Mosquito, did that come from a private collection out the west of Nelson, near Moutere? A biker I met a few years ago said that an old guy out there had a serious collection of aircraft from WW2 that he bought post war. Apparently, they aren't on public display but if you were lucky, you could rock up and beg a peek at them all.

SixPackBack
2nd August 2009, 15:51
I suspect 'soft moulding' the product would be straight forward.
Topmark products (http://www.topmark.co.nz/) can supply you with product, and a small mould could easily be manufactured.
We use soft moulding to manufacture many different prototype parts and the process is quick, cheap and easy. If the team you have come in to contact with are capable of Aircraft restoration, manufacturing a simple mould should be simple.
If you require any further advice or guidance, let me know

marty
2nd August 2009, 16:16
Looks like it's from the MS25171/AN781 family of electrical caps. The - # depends on the post size. They come in multiple colours and materials, but silicone is the material of choice.

pete376403
2nd August 2009, 18:02
Would a battery terminal insulator be close?

Pedrostt500
2nd August 2009, 19:12
Try British Spares in Upper Hutt.

Paul in NZ
2nd August 2009, 19:39
Jeze - did you take the pictures from 20,000ft in a mosquito?

it looks a LOT like the rubber cap that sits behind the ignition switch of a 1969/70 triumph 650. NOTE; the one with the ign switch up on the forks.

It might also be similar to the models with the ign on the side cover (circa 67)

Common part - I have a duff spare here someplace OR go see Alan Bland (Bland bros) who can ID it for you.

If the ign switch bit is too big, there is a similar (but smaller) boot on the battery cable of my Guzzi.

so - do I get a ride if I'm right???? Got me own goggles n scarf

Skinny_Birdman
3rd August 2009, 08:40
Sorry I can't help but regarding the Mosquito, did that come from a private collection out the west of Nelson, near Moutere? A biker I met a few years ago said that an old guy out there had a serious collection of aircraft from WW2 that he bought post war. Apparently, they aren't on public display but if you were lucky, you could rock up and beg a peek at them all.

No, that's the reclusive John Smith's one, which is the most complete in NZ. Ferrymead's example came from a farm near Oamaru, I believe. The good oil on all survivors is under DH89 Mosquito here (http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/aviation.html).

Jeze - did you take the pictures from 20,000ft in a mosquito?
Yeah, I struggled to get decent pictures on a camera without a macro setting.

it looks a LOT like the rubber cap that sits behind the ignition switch of a 1969/70 triumph 650. NOTE; the one with the ign switch up on the forks.

It might also be similar to the models with the ign on the side cover (circa 67)

Common part - I have a duff spare here someplace OR go see Alan Bland (Bland bros) who can ID it for you.

If the ign switch bit is too big, there is a similar (but smaller) boot on the battery cable of my Guzzi.

Awesome, that's what I needed to hear. Is Bland Brothers still around? I can't find it in the phone book, or on ye internet, except in a KB thread referring to bike shops that used to be in Chch. Where does one go for classic British/Italian bike parts in Christchurch?

so - do I get a ride if I'm right???? Got me own goggles n scarf

Haw! No, but I'm sure the lads would be happy to show you around if you were in town....

Thanks to all you other blokes for your help.

Cheers
A

pete376403
3rd August 2009, 19:59
In Upper Hutt (Wellington) but maybe able to help:
http://www2.yellow.co.nz/companies/motorcycles-&-scooters/british-spares-ltd/100290131_1187.html

Paul in NZ
3rd August 2009, 20:04
No, that's the reclusive John Smith's one, which is the most complete in NZ. Ferrymead's example came from a farm near Oamaru, I believe. The good oil on all survivors is under DH89 Mosquito here (http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/aviation.html).

Yeah, I struggled to get decent pictures on a camera without a macro setting.

Awesome, that's what I needed to hear. Is Bland Brothers still around? I can't find it in the phone book, or on ye internet, except in a KB thread referring to bike shops that used to be in Chch. Where does one go for classic British/Italian bike parts in Christchurch?

Haw! No, but I'm sure the lads would be happy to show you around if you were in town....

Thanks to all you other blokes for your help.

Cheers
A

Show it to Andrew at Motorcycle Restorations in St Asaph st (if the lazy beggar ever shows up to work) and tell him Paul from wellie with the TR6C sent you

Look - these poxy things cost cents, send (pm) me a mailing address and I'll send you one free to see if it fits, I like escaped mental patients that restore aircraft (you have to be mental) and I really like mosquitos.... and ww2.... (stuff)

HenryDorsetCase
3rd August 2009, 20:22
Look - these poxy things cost cents, send (pm) me a mailing address and I'll send you one free to see if it fits, I like escaped mental patients that restore aircraft (you have to be mental) and I really like mosquitos.... and ww2.... (stuff)

are you following RTW Doug on the advrider forum? If not, you should be. Not only is he riding a hardtail HD panhead chopper that he built round the world, he goes to all the cool shit: basically any WW2 battlefield, memorial, or museum. That and hot women and bike rallies. He is a god to me....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462017

Paul in NZ
3rd August 2009, 20:52
are you following RTW Doug on the advrider forum? If not, you should be. Not only is he riding a hardtail HD panhead chopper that he built round the world, he goes to all the cool shit: basically any WW2 battlefield, memorial, or museum. That and hot women and bike rallies. He is a god to me....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462017

Yeah - its a cool thread but the hot women disturb me...

Skinny_Birdman
4th August 2009, 19:47

That's very kind of you. I'm down on the farm for a bit of R & R at the moment, but when I'm home I'll PM you some dimensions (which I should have posted to start with) and an address...

geoffm
4th August 2009, 20:19
We have an impressive bunch of anoraks on this site who can identify an oddball rubber part from a fuzzy photo, complete with part numbers. I am impressed!

Skinny_Birdman
18th August 2009, 15:09
I have in my paw a little present from Paul in NZ via Tim at British Spares. Thanks Paul for your kind efforts, I'll take it down on Saturday and see how we get on. Looks a smidgen big, but I don't have the original bit any more. Thanks to everyone else who contributed to this thread. Isn't KB great when you can keep it away from the flamers and the morons?

StoneY
18th August 2009, 15:26
I really like mosquitos.... and ww2.... (stuff)

The Mozzie was a war winner 4 sure- fastest prop driven plane of the 40's I believe and made of BALSA- man those things rocked

Good on everyone in this thread- preserve our ol battlers

Paul in NZ
18th August 2009, 19:23
I have in my paw a little present from Paul in NZ via Tim at British Spares. Thanks Paul for your kind efforts, I'll take it down on Saturday and see how we get on. Looks a smidgen big, but I don't have the original bit any more. Thanks to everyone else who contributed to this thread. Isn't KB great when you can keep it away from the flamers and the morons?

In my defense - the original picture was not to scale (sniff)

:sunny:

Hope it works out....

cheshirecat
30th August 2009, 12:08
I have recently come into contact with the small team who are restoring De Havilland Mosquito aircraft NZ2328 at Ferrymead, in Christchurch. Upon hearing that I was a biker they asked if I knew anyone who rode classic bikes. The part pictured below is a terminal cap from an electrical component. They have been unable to source them in this particular size from any automotive electrical outlet, and have only been quoted outrageous prices to get the genuine article from England. Apparently, however, the same part or something similar appeared on some classic British motorbikes. Does anyone recognise it, and/or can anyone suggest where I might get hold of some (they need 8)? Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
A

Who are they - if you can say. My father flew Mossies and might be in the area pre Xmas so would be good to see the project.