PDA

View Full Version : Which 600?

tacos
2nd August 2009, 14:41
howdy...
i want the opinions of rider who have or owned a 600...
im getting my full in a few weeks - shuda been done ages ago...
and iv ridden a few old skool 600s but im not sure which one would to get...
can you guys give me some insight to particular pitfalls the bikes would have and how much servicing and repair will dent the pocket... also how you find the bikes to handle under pressure**.... yeah pressure hehe...

** extreme rape situations...

thanks

nsrpaul
2nd August 2009, 15:23
jeez, who could be bothered
they are all great, and all japanese so servicings pretty much the same

really depends if you like green, blue, blue and whit or red!!:shifty:

fatzx10r
2nd August 2009, 15:26
just pick one in your favorite colour

frogfeaturesFZR
2nd August 2009, 15:32
Try a Triumph 675 as well:laugh:

p.dath
2nd August 2009, 15:41
Perhaps you should turn this into a poll ...

Indiana_Jones
2nd August 2009, 16:13
Try a Triumph 675 as well:laugh:

Or a Triumph 600/650 lol

-Indy

2_SL0
2nd August 2009, 16:16
Or a Triumph 600/650 lol

-Indy

Why, they are half the bike a 675 is, or any modern jap bike.

2_SL0
2nd August 2009, 16:17
Oh, I see you own one, sorry Indy.

2_Sl0 removes foot from mouth.

Mystic13
2nd August 2009, 16:17
How old school. Like 80's, 90's?

Honda Bros 650 twin (because I have a low km one I might sell)

Actually of the late 80's bikes they're ahead of their time for frame and tyres 150/110's as opposed to the CBR600 at 130/110's.

Twin cylinder. Will go forever.

As for stuff performing under pressure it's more the rider than the bike in which case have a read of "Twist of the Wrist 2" if you're not upto speed on the riding front.

You need to give a bet better parameters i.e. $$$ and year and what you mean by old school.

Ciao.

Indiana_Jones
2nd August 2009, 16:19

I donno what you're going by, but the D600 is twice the size the little 675 is lol.

Too small for me at 6' 3"

Oh, I see you own one, sorry Indy.

2_Sl0 removes foot from mouth.

:cry:

The damage has been done!

-Indy

2_SL0
2nd August 2009, 16:25
I donno what you're going by, but the D600 is twice the size the little 675 is lol.

Too small for me at 6' 3"

-Indy

So its a whale, that explains alot.

Indiana_Jones
2nd August 2009, 16:31
So its a whale, that explains alot.

Just more roomy then the Japs or 675.

It's not a track bike with indicators slapped on it lol

-Indy

2_SL0
2nd August 2009, 16:56
So if I get this right, its a large whale, suitable for the larger person, with excellent indicators. The American market must love them.

Tacos, buy any 600 including Indy's fine recomendation, thay are all good.

Big Dave
2nd August 2009, 16:58
So if I get this right,

You went downhill from there. :-)

2_SL0
2nd August 2009, 17:01
You went downhill from there. :-)

Your biased, you dont count.

However my original comment was aimed at the point the 675 is a far better bike. I believe most magazines have indicated that the 675 is a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better bike.
You disagree?

yungatart
2nd August 2009, 17:03
Check out the insurance availablity for 600's if you are a young fella....

Indiana_Jones
2nd August 2009, 17:07

However my orginal comment was aimed at the point the 675 is a far better bike. I believe most magazines have indicated that the 675 is a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better bike.
You disagree?

No argument that the 675 is a wicked bike, just not right for me.

But the D600 looks way sexier then the D675 in my own opinion.

But saying that, I think the street triple might be my next ride :)

-Indy

2_SL0
2nd August 2009, 17:18
No argument that the 675 is a wicked bike, just not right for me.

But the D600 looks way sexier then the D675 in my own opinion.

But saying that, I think the street triple might be my next ride :)

-Indy

No complaint on the street triple damn nice bike.

See Dave I can say nice things about them.

Actually to answer Tacos question seriously, an older 600 hundy might be better, they are not as twitchy as the newer ones. It would be the most responsible way of moving up in cc.
But hey people go out and buy 1000's straight from a 250. They ussually crash from what I have seen, that is a slight downfall I supose. But if you apply the Mormon Few philosophy, Most Bins Wins. I believe Raj is leading this on the 600's currently.

Indiana_Jones
2nd August 2009, 17:21
Actually to answer Tacos question seriously, an older 600 hundy might be better, they are not as twitchy as the newer ones. It would be the most responsible way of moving up in cc.
But hey people go out and buy 1000's straight from a 250. They ussually crash from what I have seen, that is a slight downfall I supose.

If Taco can afford it, I say get a newer 600, it'll last a while longer/less likely to shit out on you.

As for crashing, the key is just taking it easy. Don't try and ride it like you rode the 250 lol, more to do with rider responsibility then the power of the bike.

-Indy

Big Dave
2nd August 2009, 17:27

However my original comment was aimed at the point the 675 is a far better bike. I believe most magazines have indicated that the 675 is a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better bike.
You disagree?

Depends.

Performance wise - yea, no question.

Suitability for taller people wise - nay. I found the 650 pretty ride-able, the 675 looks at me and says 'help'.

2_SL0
2nd August 2009, 17:30
Depends.

Performance wise - yea, no question.

Suitability for taller people wise - nay. I found the 650 pretty ride-able, the 675 looks at me and says 'help'.

We are not all 7ft tall, I say from the safety of behind my keyboard, Im very brave from here.:whistle:

Big Dave
2nd August 2009, 17:34
We are not all 7ft tall, I say from the safety of behind my keyboard, Im very brave from here.:whistle:

True, but there are plenty of lock forwards around too.

My favourite 600 at the moment is the Kawasaki KRL650. No shit.

Wingnut
2nd August 2009, 17:35

Hadly mate. The 675 is a good bike, granted. But hardly worthy of all your talking it up crap........

Indiana_Jones
2nd August 2009, 17:47
Hadly mate. The 675 is a good bike, granted. But hardly worthy of all your talking it up crap........

What he said.

-Indy

Cajun
2nd August 2009, 18:14
howdy...
im getting my full in a few weeks - shuda been done ages ago...
and iv ridden a few old skool 600s but im not sure which one would to get...
can you guys give me some insight to particular pitfalls the bikes would have and how much servicing and repair will dent the pocket... also how you find the bikes to handle under pressure**.... yeah pressure hehe...

** extreme rape situations...

thanks

All the japa 600 are very simlar, ride them all and see what suits you. ALot of it is styling/colour scheme, the major difference, each one, sometimes does one thing better than other, but is worse in another area, but all equals out in the end.

All services are 6,000kms(cost 150-200) with major ones every 24,000 (valves) (cost 200-250)

=cJ=
2nd August 2009, 18:46
I bought a 2008 GSXR as my first (and only) 600.

Compared to a 2004 and an early 2000 CBR 600, I rate the Suzuki as a better bike, but that's kinda meaningless, it blardy well should be.

If I was doing it again, I would still spend the extra and get my GSXR again.

325rocket
2nd August 2009, 18:56
if you really are into "raping" your bike dont go for an early cbr, pretty boring. maybe an R6 and dont forget about the ZX636r (or zxr636 whatever is it) bit more go thanks to the extra 36cc.

2_SL0
2nd August 2009, 18:56
My god you can have alot of fun talking crap. No wonder so many people here do.

scracha
2nd August 2009, 18:59
if you really are into "raping" your bike dont go for an early cbr, pretty boring. maybe an R6 and dont forget about the ZX636r (or zxr636 whatever is it) bit more go thanks to the extra 36cc.
Early CBR Boring? Mine scares the bejeezus out of me...it's anything but boring.

Kiwi Graham
2nd August 2009, 18:59
How about this one
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=103402

2_SL0
2nd August 2009, 19:19

I dont talk it up, if I thought so highly of it, I would own one.

However I chucked it into Wiki and got this. These guys obviously 'talked it up'

Extract from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Daytona_675
The Daytona 675 was officially launched at the NEC International Motorcycle and Scooter Show in 2005. An UK based Bike Magazine was given an exclusive test ride prior to the official launch, impressing the magazine test rider. The magazine declared it "the best British sportsbike ever" and "possibly one of the greatest sportsbikes of all time".

And this one:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/triu/triumph_daytona_675%2006.htm

As the first three-cylinder super sports middleweight, the Daytona 675 is a force to be reckoned with in the most hotly contested arena in motorcycling. The Daytona 675 has won countless comparison tests and for the past two years has taken both the MasterBike and Supertest ‘King of the Supersport’ crowns. With its exciting, powerful engine and intuitive, razor sharp chassis the Daytona 675 has reinvented the supersports middleweight map. The Daytona IS incomparable.

Oakie
2nd August 2009, 19:20
Check out the insurance availablity for 600's if you are a young fella....

What she said ... even more so if you are going to 'pressure it'

tigertim20
2nd August 2009, 21:06
Early CBR Boring? Mine scares the bejeezus out of me...it's anything but boring.

seconded, they can really move once you are in tune with them!

What she said ... even more so if you are going to 'pressure it'

seconded, wait, thirded-ed(?)

You need to be more specific if you want some suggestions eg-
do you have a preference on configuration?
do you have a preference on style? I am assuming you wanna go sport/sport touring?
What is your upper/lower price range?
What sorta years exactly?
how much/ what kinda riding do you do?, eg commuting/sunday long rides/occaisional short blast.trackdays?
these are all important factors to consider.
I would suggest getting a shortlist of desirable bikes, then look up bike specific forums for each, thats the best way to find out the good/bad traits, common problems etc from each of them, from people who actually own them!

jamiey
2nd August 2009, 22:29
F2 CBR6's are heaps of fun, rev the nuts off em and hold on. Hey why not buy mine??

bikerboy011
2nd August 2009, 23:09
I would say go test ride them all and see which one suits you best.

Indiana_Jones
3rd August 2009, 08:13
I would say go test ride them all and see which one suits you best.

What the fuck?!

A common sense answer in a KB thread!?!?!! :scratch:

-Indy

Mystic13
3rd August 2009, 09:18
Yep, and since posting this thing up Tacos hasn't been back with a further post.

All this drivel without a single comment from 'em.

Oops. Sorry. As you were. Continue arguing. :innocent:

mowgli
3rd August 2009, 09:43
howdy...

Seriously consider a naked bike, streetfighter style. You'll get all the thrill of power in the twisties without [edit: as much] risk of losing your licence on the open road. The wind pressure when you open her up is a good reminder that you're still learning and should be taking it easy. Triumph Speed Four is a beauty. Relatively light handling, short wheel base, loves corners ... tho I'm not biased :whistle:

_intense_
3rd August 2009, 11:52
buy my loved cbr600f4i, its an awesome allrounder, stil slick enough to keep up with the new 600s (on a good day), also not as track oriented, so a lot easier in day to day riding...

Indiana_Jones
3rd August 2009, 12:03
Seriously consider a naked bike, streetfighter style. You'll get all the thrill of power in the twisties without [edit: as much] risk of losing your licence on the open road. The wind pressure when you open her up is a good reminder that you're still learning and should be taking it easy. Triumph Speed Four is a beauty. Relatively light handling, short wheel base, loves corners ... tho I'm not biased :whistle:

A good point.

I'll be getting naked for my next bike. Be it a street triple or Bonneville.

And the speed four aye, same engine as mine pretty much :D

-Indy

The Pastor
3rd August 2009, 12:12
A good point.

I'll be getting naked for my next bike. Be it a street triple or Bonneville.

And the speed four aye, same engine as mine pretty much :D

-Indy
is your good idicating whale not good enough for ya?

Indiana_Jones
3rd August 2009, 12:18
is your good idicating whale not good enough for ya?

Na bro, needs more 'prestige' lol :sunny:

-Indy