PDA

View Full Version : The woeful tale of wellington wind and the parked bike

kravenmore
2nd August 2009, 20:03
Well, it's happened, my beautiful bike that previously didn't have a scratch on it has been 'broken in' and not even by me! I had it parked on the street as usual, balanced well (I always make sure) and a freaky gust of wind managed to blow it over. A neighbour nicely came to let me know so I went to inspect the damage.
Even with the good quality cover on, the RH ferring still took some nasty scrapes, the RH wing indicator is trashed and the front wheel ferring had a 3 inch chunk cracked off. The fuel tank is now loose and to top it all off, the plate that the RH peg and gear lever are on has sheered in two (I wouldn't have expected THAT, especially from a straight fall).

I would say thank goodness for insurance but since I'm only on a learners, that adds $500 to the excess making it $750. I'm thinking about pushing the fact that my license type shouldn't come into play but insurance companies being what they are, I'm not holding my breath.

So some advice from those more experienced, do you think a center stand would have helped at all?

Also, for those who reguarly park their bikes on the road, do you take any additional precautions against having your bike blown over? I've now got a tie down rapped around it and attached to the fence it's parked next to, just in case.

Well it's safe to say I'm gutted and I'll be off the road for a while I would expect <sigh>
Sh*tty wellington weather :thud:

sunhuntin
2nd August 2009, 20:15
ive only experienced wind that strong once before, it was in picton on my way back from the first burt munro challenge. mine blew over as well. i dont think a center stand would have made a jot of difference, though another stand on the other side may have helped. lol i made sure to park it in good shelter while looking for accomodation, and stayed at a place that had a garage. thankfully, the damage wasnt major [only a mirror and a couple of scrapes on foot peg etc.]

no decent advice really. good luck with your insurance. your license shouldnt come into it. its not like the l plate made it blow over. [im assuming the bike is a 250?]

kravenmore
2nd August 2009, 20:22
yea I'm hoping the insurer see's it the same way but it's in the agreement, $250 general excess plus $500 for being on a learners license, but like you say, it's not as if the license type makes a difference when it comes to gale force winds.

Yea, its a Hyosung GT250R, now almost wishing it was a GT250, well, almost ;-)

p.dath
2nd August 2009, 20:26
That is really bad luck. Could you perhaps find somewhere more sheltered to park it, even if it's a short walk away?

kravenmore
2nd August 2009, 20:33
That is really bad luck. Could you perhaps find somewhere more sheltered to park it, even if it's a short walk away?

not really, it's the only flat part on our street, but it's not exposed to the prevailing winds anway, it really must have been a freak gust.

Well, lesson learned, albeit more expensive than I would have liked. The tie down strop is setup for easy removal and that "sholud" stop it from happening again.

What's really gutting is that because of the bit the RH peg is attached to being broken, it's not really even ridable so I can't even ride it in to get it repaired.

All just a bit shit really

mossy1200
2nd August 2009, 20:39
not really, it's the only flat part on our street, but it's not exposed to the prevailing winds anway, it really must have been a freak gust.

Well, lesson learned, albeit more expensive than I would have liked. The tie down strop is setup for easy removal and that "sholud" stop it from happening again.

What's really gutting is that because of the bit the RH peg is attached to being broken, it's not really even ridable so I can't even ride it in to get it repaired.

which area in town?I got van set up for my race bike and im gunna pick that up on most likely tuesday 4pm ish could drop your off on the way.

kravenmore
2nd August 2009, 20:46
which area in town?I got van set up for my race bike and im gunna pick that up on most likely tuesday 4pm ish could drop your off on the way.

Hey thanks that's an awesome offer. I'm in Hataitai. Will ring tomorrow to get a quote on getting it fixed. I'd like to see if I could get it repaired by TSS Red Baron since they're who I bought it off and it also needs its first service but I'm insured with Swann and I'll have to find out where THEY want it to be taken into...

CookMySock
2nd August 2009, 21:04
I am guessing the cover acted like a sail and assisted the process. I'd also take a look at where else I could park it.

Bummer tho.

Steve

vindy500
2nd August 2009, 21:26

i rode my bandit for month with only the hinge after the footpeg snapped in half

kravenmore
2nd August 2009, 21:28
I am guessing the cover acted like a sail and assisted the process. I'd also take a look at where else I could park it.

Bummer tho.

Steve

Yea, I'm thinking that's the only way it could have happened if it was indeed the wind. Otherwise it'd be VERY very unlikely it was the wind. It went over the opposite way it was leaning (away from the side stand).
I'm going to have another look tomorrow 'cause it's definitely been windier without any problems and people do have to reverse down from the top of our street 'cause there's not enough room to turn a car around. I'm thinking because of the damage to the front wheel ferring (which doesn't have contact damage like the side ferring, just a piece that's broken off under pressure, no scratching) it may have actually been reversed into...
Not that it makes things any better

p.dath
2nd August 2009, 21:41
Yea, I'm thinking that's the only way it could have happened if it was indeed the wind. Otherwise it'd be VERY very unlikely it was the wind. It went over the opposite way it was leaning (away from the side stand).
I'm going to have another look tomorrow 'cause it's definitely been windier without any problems and people do have to reverse down from the top of our street 'cause there's not enough room to turn a car around. I'm thinking because of the damage to the front wheel ferring (which doesn't have contact damage like the side ferring, just a piece that's broken off under pressure, no scratching) it may have actually been reversed into...
Not that it makes things any better

See if there is any evidence of another colour paint on it from an impact.

mossy1200
2nd August 2009, 21:45
Hey thanks that's an awesome offer. I'm in Hataitai. Will ring tomorrow to get a quote on getting it fixed. I'd like to see if I could get it repaired by TSS Red Baron since they're who I bought it off and it also needs its first service but I'm insured with Swann and I'll have to find out where THEY want it to be taken into...

im in Hataitai as well and i have garage space for another bike if you need garaged parking.
pm me

my new trumpet fell over last year.i moved it onto street so i wouldnt scratch in garage and a gust got it.the direct wind didnt do the deed but it started my bike rolling off stand.now i sold trailer so alot more bike room.

BMWST?
2nd August 2009, 21:56
"damaged while parked" MAY be different to other claims...ask your neighbours?One of them may have seen something?Dont think wind will blow a bike of centre stand.

mossy1200
2nd August 2009, 22:07

Also in Hataitai and picking mine up from dyno tune in hutt (motomart)so can drop yours at tss on the way out there.
And let me have a look before you put claim in as $750 could be more than the damage.
My mates painter / panelbeater and has plastic welder etc.

this is the work he did on mine after lowside with some good holes.LOL

vindy500
3rd August 2009, 00:22
Dont think wind will blow a bike of centre stand.
My gpx begs to differ

davebullet
3rd August 2009, 07:50
Install crash bungs. Might not save all the damage, but will help in future. In Wellington, it is only time before one's bike gets blown over.

Markw336
11th August 2009, 09:35
sorry to hear yes i agree with most people here i think you just had bad luck and the cover could have had sumthing to do with it wind getting caught in it and pushing it over

and insurance is a bastard untill you fully licened and over 25 even then is still is

Ms Piggy
11th August 2009, 15:12
"damaged while parked" MAY be different to other claims...ask your neighbours?One of them may have seen something?Dont think wind will blow a bike of centre stand.

I've had my little ole CB blown over a few times in Welli winds so it's not too surprising that kravenmore's has been blown over.

What a bummer though! Hope you get it sorted.

mashman
11th August 2009, 15:24
heh, unlucky man, we should start a club... The Prila has been on her side because of the wellie wind... I never claimed though, just not worth while with the excesses as high as they are... reckon i can live with a few scrapes...

Paulo
11th August 2009, 16:33
Bugger I had exactly the same thing happen, Cover acted like a sail and pulled it over. Nice big dent in the tank now :( I now use bungies to hold the cover on tight and havn't had a repeat of this , although in wellington anythings possible. Saw a van blow over on the Terrace some years ago, that was a sight.

James Deuce
11th August 2009, 17:52

Uh huh. Didn't even have a cover on it either.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=95833

My claim went through with no drama.