PDA

View Full Version : Ducati 848 test ride

captain_andrey
3rd August 2009, 12:11
Where to start...
The looks:
I had very high expectations of the 848 even before I walked into the shop. In photos the 848 is the most amazing looking bike on the market. In person, its is just awe inspiring. From every angle, every line looks perfect. In pearl white its stunning.

The sound:
Its definitely something different. I'd imagine a pit bull makes similar sound just before it rips your face off. You can feel the sound with your entire body, not just your ears. Every person I passed gave me a 2nd look.

The engine:
Having ridden exclusively jap bikes before it took some getting used to. Having so much torque down low and constantly running out of revs up high makes for a completely different riding style. You get used to it though, at least after hitting the rev limiter a couple of times.
There are more problems though. Sitting on the bike you no longer get to hear the amazing sound the engine makes but you can feel it with your bum and your hands. The vibrations do take some getting used to. It was quite uncomfortable at first and my hands even went numb for a while when cruising down motorway.

Comfort:
Well is a sporty setup for sure. I thought the daytona 675 was hard to use on the road but the 848 is in a different league. The seat is rock solid. The bars are low, probably as low as the daytona - the lowest in the 600 class I tested when I was first looking for a big bike. All levers are tiny. I had to use just 2 fingers on clutch and brake. The rear brake, I don't think I ever managed to find it. I'm sure it was there. At full lock, my hands would hit the fairings.
The mirrors are not usable. I thought my CBR mirrors were pretty crap but the 848 mirrors might as well not be there. I'm quite tall, 192cm, which means I sit up high. The mirrors would not rotate up enough so even if I moved my arms out of the way all I could see was the ground behind me.

Other:
Brakes had a good feel to them. Feels like my Honda has a better initial bite but still very good and linear. Steering is very light, almost too light going over bumps. I'd prefer a dampener for the peace of mind. Overall, very nimble bike that just wants to be flicked round in corners, but then, so is every 600 supersport.

Conclusion:
Ducati have a different philosophy on what a bike should be like. Its great in its own way but, unfortunately, not for me.

Thanks for the guys at Motormart for letting me have a go. The open/demo day was great.

Kendog
3rd August 2009, 12:16
Interesting thoughts, cheers.

I am looking forward to trying one out.

MotoGirl
3rd August 2009, 12:28
As a matter of interest, how many throbbing twins had you ridden before you took the 848 out?

captain_andrey
3rd August 2009, 12:32
As a matter of interest, how many throbbing twins had you ridden before you took the 848 out?

Like I said, only ridden Jap IL4s in the 600+ range, well and the 3 way Daytona :)

So read that as you will. These are just my thoughts from the way I ride.

bikerboy011
3rd August 2009, 12:34
I have riden the 1089s and i loved it.

slofox
3rd August 2009, 12:42
There's nothing like a V-Twin...:love:

325rocket
3rd August 2009, 12:44
nice write up. i love the look of the 848. do you think it would be better for a smaller person?

captain_andrey
3rd August 2009, 12:53
nice write up. i love the look of the 848. do you think it would be better for a smaller person?

Definitely. I think every 600 would be better for a smaller person though :(
I wanted to compare it to a similar bike that I have. 1098 would just be in a different league.

Marmoot
3rd August 2009, 14:20
Conclusion:
Ducati have a different philosophy on what a bike should be like. Its great in its own way but, unfortunately, not for me.

Did you try it in the sweeping twisty bit with a spirited gallop or, better yet, on a track?
Don't let it fool you. Once it is cranked beyond vertical orientation the bike becomes a totally different beast.

R6_kid
3rd August 2009, 14:36
I have riden the 1089s and i loved it.

You should try the 1098s, I've heard the extra 9cc is well worth the money!

captain_andrey
3rd August 2009, 14:59
Did you try it in the sweeping twisty bit with a spirited gallop or, better yet, on a track?
Don't let it fool you. Once it is cranked beyond vertical orientation the bike becomes a totally different beast.

I took it over Haywards Road. Not the twistiest road around but has a few sweeping corners.

BMWST?
3rd August 2009, 15:12
Thanks for the guys at Motormart for letting me have a go. The open/demo day was great.

did you go to avalon park and back?.I was getting a tag and saw a white ducati arrive at the carpark,turn around and leave....

captain_andrey
3rd August 2009, 15:22
did you go to avalon park and back?.I was getting a tag and saw a white ducati arrive at the carpark,turn around and leave....

Nope that must have been the guy before me. I went straight onto the highway and then over Haywards.

Sparky Bills
3rd August 2009, 15:42
Lucky bugger!
Im still trying to get my turn on it! :no:

DMNTD
3rd August 2009, 15:52
Lucky bugger!
Im still trying to get my turn on it! :no:

Pull finger lad! The harder you push a Ducati (Euro bike) the better they handle...just watch out at rounderbouts

scracha
3rd August 2009, 20:32
Pull finger lad! The harder you push a Ducati (Euro bike) the better they handle...just watch out at rounderbouts

Agreed. They don't actually work until you're doing at least 140.

LBD
3rd August 2009, 21:02
Agreed. They don't actually work until you're doing at least 140.

My S4rs starts getting into the groove at 125....

boomer
3rd August 2009, 21:28

the s4rs i rode was quite funky till it crashed itself.. not very fookin stable.

As for the write up, i get the feeling you're a bit of a commuter type rider, without being too insulting. I rode the 1098 in the twisties and ive never been so enthrawled in my life... having no wing mirrors ( which seems such a large part of your wtite up) was the very least think i was thinking about....

torque, brembo's hauling your fast ass to a stop and sounding beautiful; The setup is thin, precise, energetic and like no other IL4 you'll ride.. these things were made to ride fast.. and will make anyone ride fast...

sorry u didnt like it; but thres no accounting for honduh riders :confused:

Marmoot
3rd August 2009, 22:16
Au contraire. Nothing feels betterer than a warm 848 in the morning. Makes going to work very much worthwhile.

captain_andrey
3rd August 2009, 23:09
the s4rs i rode was quite funky till it crashed itself.. not very fookin stable.

As for the write up, i get the feeling you're a bit of a commuter type rider, without being too insulting. I rode the 1098 in the twisties and ive never been so enthrawled in my life... having no wing mirrors ( which seems such a large part of your wtite up) was the very least think i was thinking about....

torque, brembo's hauling your fast ass to a stop and sounding beautiful; The setup is thin, precise, energetic and like no other IL4 you'll ride.. these things were made to ride fast.. and will make anyone ride fast...

Hehe yeah fair enough. The thing is I need a bike that does both commuting and weekend warrior stuff. Millage wise I do about 50/50 commuting/having fun so I will always be after a bike that is well balanced. Maybe if I lived on a race track, or anywhere near one for that matter it would be an option.

LBD
3rd August 2009, 23:25

Crashed itself?

I have a damper on this un but not on the earlier S4, no stability complaints with either and that includes track days where they are not ridden like nanna's either.

The 848 definately looks the part...

NighthawkNZ
3rd August 2009, 23:40

3000-4000 cruising around 100-120kph... Most big V-Twins not just Ducati are just that, big and lazy, yes you do need to work them and they don't start to come alive until they in the mid to high rev range then you start to notice a difference... and they start to suck back the fuel...

LBD
3rd August 2009, 23:57
3000-4000 cruising around 100-120kph... Most big V-Twins not just Ducati are just that, big and lazy, yes you do need to work them and they don't start to come alive until they in the mid to high rev range then you start to notice a difference... and they start to suck back the fuel...

I don't think Lazy describes a Duc motor in any sense....

Fuel consumption? I have no complaints 250km/11.5 L of moderatly agressive riding.

slowpoke
4th August 2009, 00:05
The OEM gearing is seriously screwed up (to suit noise regs?). Throw another couple of teeth at the rear sprocket and you'll find you can actually accelerate in top gear from 100kph, instead of hooking 5th every time you pass a truck going the other way. Mileage won't be affected and you'll find it a lot more fun everywhere.

LBD
4th August 2009, 00:10
The OEM gearing is seriously screwed up (to suit noise regs?). Throw another couple of teeth at the rear sprocket and you'll find you can actually accelerate in top gear from 100kph, instead of hooking 5th every time you pass a truck going the other way. Mileage won't be affected and you'll find it a lot more fun everywhere.

14T front is a popular mod Duc mod, not sure if that would apply to the 848.

Switched to a 14T for a while, then back to the original 15T. It suited my country riding style better. If I rode any amount in the city, definetaly a 14T.

I suspect OEM gearing is aimed at Euro motoways.

2wheeldrifter
4th August 2009, 07:12
It is a committed riding position..... not a tourer
Is made to be pushed.... Look at what it has.. some comprehensive components ready for the track, from the dash to the wheel nuts! Ducati's Data Analyzer ready to plug in, is an option.. but it just say's again.. this is for the track.

Your right if you lived by a track... :2thumbsup

Most Duc's sportsbikes mirrors are poor.... no need though as no one is going to pass you :)

Sparky Bills
4th August 2009, 08:43
They are geared up to pass emisions laws overseas.
Down 1 on the front and you have a very fun piece of kit.

If I was a weekend/sunny day warrior id have one of these in a flash!
Oh wait!.... Or would that be a hypermotard....or a streetfighter.... or a 1098...or a.....

SOO MANY OPTIONS!

Tony.OK
4th August 2009, 09:16
They are geared up to pass emisions laws overseas.
Down 1 on the front and you have a very fun piece of kit.

If I was a weekend/sunny day warrior id have one of these in a flash!
Oh wait!.... Or would that be a hypermotard....or a streetfighter.... or a 1098...or a.....

SOO MANY OPTIONS!

How about throwin all them shiney bikes in a truck and haulin em up to Manfeild for a REAL demo day:msn-wink:

Just as a thought about test rides etc from shops......................how many send someone out on a bike without giving the sags a quick look at? 5 min of pre sale time might make all the difference to the victim.........er I mean customer..................................even the best bike can feel like shit if its not set somewhere in the ball park for a particular person.
Be a great thing for any shop to offer IMHO...........sorry gone of topic a tad

pritch
4th August 2009, 09:23
Captain A's comments are in line with the road tests I've seen.

The 848 is more useable on the road than its larger sibling but the mirrors are still crap and there is basically no comfortable riding position.

BIKE tested the big Duc at the Nurbergring and had at least one nasty incident involving nearly getting run over by a fast moving Porche the proximity of which they were completely unaware due to being able to see nothing in their mirrors.

None of which will deter those who succumb to the "passion"...

Marmoot
4th August 2009, 11:22
BIKE tested the big Duc at the Nurbergring and had at least one nasty incident involving nearly getting run over by a fast moving Porche the proximity of which they were completely unaware due to being able to see nothing in their mirrors.

The ducati was going through the track in reverse gear, I assume?

pritch
4th August 2009, 12:06

It was a Ducati not a Goldwing. :whistle:

The BIKE staffers would have been going for it but a local driving a fast Porche, and who could almost drive the track in his sleep, might find even quick bikes getting in his way at times.

captain_andrey
4th August 2009, 16:43
fast Porche
hmm I wonder what that's like? :Pokey:

2wheeldrifter
5th August 2009, 08:27
What you have there Captain, is the twin sports convertible model with optional foot rests and cup holder... very sort after model :Punk:

BMWST?
5th August 2009, 20:47

no.....a fast car with a driver who knows the ring would be faster than a street bike...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times

bikerboy011
5th August 2009, 23:23
You should try the 1098s, I've heard the extra 9cc is well worth the money!

hahahahah lmao ya i ment the 1098s:laugh:

gatch
16th August 2009, 14:36
Can anyone tell me what the 848 is like in comparison to the 998 ?

I imagine the 848 would probably be just as quick ?

I would sell any possible future children for either..

Marmoot
16th August 2009, 20:02
Can anyone tell me what the 848 is like in comparison to the 998 ?

That would be hard to find. No self respecting 998 owner would get an 848. Their penis are too small :Pokey: