PDA

View Full Version : Scenic Drive

justsomeguy
2nd April 2005, 01:32
Scenic Drive, have you been down it...... what do you think??

It's the best road that I have quick access to and I love it.:love:

Especially during the night when I can have it all to myself.:ride:

It really makes me feel relaxed and calms any stress that life inflicts......:cool:

What are your thoughts on it??:confused:

And what are you're favourite roads. Number one favourites only:shifty:

John
2nd April 2005, 02:07
Have not tried Scenic, dont come down to often - But my favourite quick slow blat is down SH14. Ah, tis a good wee road that, 45k of semi nice twisties.

Big Dave
2nd April 2005, 04:05

Especially during the night when I can have it all to myself.:ride:

It really makes me feel relaxed and calms any stress that life inflicts......:cool:

And what are you're favourite roads. Number one favourites only:shifty:

Mate - i'm happy that you like it, but really, scenic drive is the merest spec of a road in the scheme of things.

A blast through the Hunuas and down to the Bombays has 5 times as much interesting stuff, and that isn't even close to the same league as Queen Charlotte Sound out of Picton or over Takaka hill, - 2 that i experienced after i wrote this lot:
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/daves11.pdf
(Kiwi Rider about 18months ago)

and Arthur's pass, Lewis pass and the SI west coast didn't even get a mention!

I live and learn.

justsomeguy
2nd April 2005, 08:50
I agree that those roads are great.......But I live in Roskill and Scenic Drive is the closest thing I have to go to after work.

Besides I don't really know that many roads

Lou Girardin
2nd April 2005, 08:59
Not for me; too busy, too many wet spots (snigger), too much green slime.

justsomeguy
2nd April 2005, 09:04
Not for me; too busy, too many wet spots (snigger), too much green slime.

Where do you like to go Lou??

Pixie
2nd April 2005, 11:00
Back before the Drive became an urban street it was good.('70's)
But the developer bastards and the residents in their Suck U Vehicles have spoiled the fun.
After the Plague it will be good again!

Jackrat
2nd April 2005, 12:29
Back before the Drive became an urban street it was good.('70's)
But the developer bastards and the residents in their Suck U Vehicles have spoiled the fun.
After the Plague it will be good again!

Yep,your on to it there.
Was a very good road way back,now it's just traffic.
Go south young man :ride:

Ixion
2nd April 2005, 12:51
Even the Bethells and Piha roads are sealed now. Alas, ichabod, ichabod.

The Anawhata road is still a good ride though.

Ms Piggy
2nd April 2005, 12:57
My fav on my recent jaunt down to the SI was the Buller Gorge, Beautiful :love:

XTC
2nd April 2005, 12:59
Good road but not enuff gravel me thinks.....

Motoracer
2nd April 2005, 16:42
It's pretty good but rather dangerous. I feel like playing russian rollet (sp), when I go down that way. Wondering if a car is going to come out of a driveway.

Two Smoker
2nd April 2005, 17:05
At the titirangi roundabout, hang a hard left (rather than a slight left) and shoot down Huia Road, I dont like doing all of it, but i like that section just down from the roadabout, smooth ashphalt and nice corners.

Try Westcoast road as well (just off Scenic Drive) thats a good'un...

But you will be better off heading south... Or shooting upto Oldnorth road...

Ixion
2nd April 2005, 17:10
At the titirangi roundabout, hang a hard left (rather than a slight left) and shoot down Huia Road, I dont like doing all of it, but i like that section just down from the roadabout, smooth ashphalt and nice corners.

Try Westcoast road as well (just off Scenic Drive) thats a good'un...

But you will be better off heading south... Or shooting upto Oldnorth road...

If you like interesting roads and gravel, keep going down Huia Rd, through Little Hiuia, across the stream, take the Whatipu Road. Nice ride.

inlinefour
2nd April 2005, 17:14
Good road, great views and all I could think about was why am I not on my bike??? :confused:

Two Smoker
2nd April 2005, 17:23
If you like interesting roads and gravel, keep going down Huia Rd, through Little Hiuia, across the stream, take the Whatipu Road. Nice ride.

Done it once on the RG, not my cup of tea on the bikes i have, but would LOVE to take a dirt bike/adventure bike down there...

Pixie
2nd April 2005, 17:35
I have been told recently that many of the back roads between waitakere village and the muriwai rd are now sealed.

erik
2nd April 2005, 17:53

It's a pity about all the manhole covers though. Almost one on every corner! (ok, that's a slight exaggeration, but there are a fair few).

loosebruce
3rd April 2005, 02:16
It's pretty good but rather dangerous. I feel like playing russian rollet (sp), when I go down that way. Wondering if a car is going to come out of a driveway.

Yeah im with MR here, it's okay bit of road, wet patches, cars, other people crazier than me on bikes, but the TL is a bit of a handful round those parts and if i push any more than a fast cruisy pace (for me) i'm asking for it.

For me i'll head out Coromandel 25/25A if i want to play. although i really should hit Sh16 and a few more roads up north some more.

Zed
3rd April 2005, 09:45

And what are you're favourite roads. Number one favourites only:shifty:It's good to live close to open roads that's for sure, I'm only 2 mins from SH16 now and really appreciate it when I want to go for a quick blat. Even on my way home from work I tend to go the looooong way home if you know what I mean. :ride:

Scenic Drive (the name says it all) is 'nice' but it's not what I'd call good "open" road. It's fairly narrow and shaded in parts which can be dangerous and you can't really open the bike up for a lengthy period of time, but it's your local stretch of road Mr Guy so make the most of it!

Aitch
3rd April 2005, 21:21
Right now!!! I hate having to wait.....

Two Smoker
3rd April 2005, 21:27
Right now!!! I hate having to wait.....

Its even worse for me, i have 3 bikes, but cant ride any of them :crybaby:

Aitch
3rd April 2005, 21:58
Its even worse for me, i have 3 bikes, but cant ride any of them :crybaby:
I'll ride em for ya!!!!!!!

Lou Girardin
4th April 2005, 08:35
Where do you like to go Lou??

I like SH16 outside of public holidays, mainly because I know it well. And usually carry on to Mangawhai or Matakohe. West Coast Rd from 16 to Warkworth has only 1 or 2 k's of gravel left, that's going to be a blast. I like the Kaiaua loop too. I've only done SH22 once, should go more often, I guess.
Old North Rd, Peak Rd etc is good for a short ride.

Motu
4th April 2005, 11:13
Of course I've been riding Scenic Drive longer than most riders here have been breathing,so I know it pretty well.It's always been rough in places with many hidden suprises,but that's how I like roads...a dirt riders approach,me and the terrain,flat billiard table surfaces are totaly boring....I don't ride roads like that.I once flexed a Featherbed Norton enough to send the chain into the chain guard and roll the chain off,those frames were the standard of flex free frames for many years,so the humps and bumps have always been severe.

When I kept my bikes at home I would go for a ride along Scenic Drive or out to Huia anytime,but they have been kept at work for the last 3 yrs,so a ride is a bigger event and Scenic Drive too short to go to all that hassle for.

John
4th April 2005, 11:18
Of course I've been riding Scenic Drive longer than most riders here have been breathing,so I know it pretty well.It's always been rough in places with many hidden suprises,but that's how I like roads...a dirt riders approach,me and the terrain,flat billiard table surfaces are totaly boring....I don't ride roads like that.I once flexed a Featherbed Norton enough to send the chain into the chain guard and roll the chain off,those frames were the standard of flex free frames for many years,so the humps and bumps have always been severe.

When I kept my bikes at home I would go for a ride along Scenic Drive or out to Huia anytime,but they have been kept at work for the last 3 yrs,so a ride is a bigger event and Scenic Drive too short to go to all that hassle for.
You might enjoy some of the backroads around here, around ruawai there are some AWSOME full stop (.) dirt bike roads - I always managed to crash my CT125 into the ditch, while laughing my head off, and kicking the shit out of the ole honda.

So can someone fill me in on scenic - should I go for a blat on it this weekend is it a must ride road, is it something I will tell my grandchildren about ?

ktulu
4th April 2005, 11:42
I used to love scenic drive but as I have grown slightly older and wiser I realise that it is ridiculously un safe due to the people pulling out of driveways and I have too many times found myself coming around a blind corner and sitting right on the back of a very slow car or truck plus there is no run off, the road is slippery in places and bumpy as hell in a lot.

Its still fun if its close but I prefer space, my ride to gisborne this weekend was bloody awesome