PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Yankees?

Coldkiwi
21st October 2003, 17:33
Hey guys,

While advertising my ZX-6R for sale on the net, I received a poorly written email from a bloke in the states who wanted to send me a cheque for the cost of the bike and shipping charges to the US (WHY ship a 2nd hand jap bike from NZ to the US?) The story goes that someone owes him money and he wants them to send me the one cheque instead of paying him. It gets a little strange though as he has not requested I take the bike anywhere to get assessed, just that he wants my contact details so he can send the cheque (based on my advertising blurb and some photos I sent). Now this is all well and good (odd, but good) except that I have just received another poorly written email from a different bloke with EXACTLY the same story and a slightly different price. This makes me highly suspicious although I haven't given them any home details etc.

My question is, has anyone else come across this sort of offer when selling their bike online?

Any info/thoughts greatly appreciated

Nouseforaname
21st October 2003, 17:41
Dodgy....... very dogdy..... actually, just make him send the cheque, once it clears have a nice long holiday at his expense.

What?
21st October 2003, 17:49
Shouldn't be surprised if the e-mail only looks like it came from the US. More likely it came from Nigeria...

Certainly doesn't sound like a lead worth following.

Big Dog
21st October 2003, 21:03
Perhaps its George W Bush (bad spelling) trying to negotiate by offering different prices:p

Seriously though I have heard of Malaysian tax dodge / laundering scheme where people buy big ticket products sight unseen then saying they changed their mind but keep 10% by way of apology.

They send the cheque from the illegitimate account then bank yours into the legitimate account. Money clean and if offshore long enough does not attract tax.

The warning I got about this dodge suggests it is the malaysian / russian mafia.

Can't remember the origin of the warning but.:o

Jackrat
22nd October 2003, 07:32
It,s Russian,Don,t touch it.In the future delete all mail from them,
If they get any of your personal details you lose BIG TIME. :angry2:

bikerboy
22nd October 2003, 08:04
"dodgy yankees"......OI !:angry2:

Firefight
22nd October 2003, 08:21
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
Hey guys,

While advertising my ZX-6R for sale on the net,

Any info/thoughts greatly appreciated

More importantly, what is the new bike your going to replace it with ??:eek:
firefight:cool:

Coldkiwi
23rd October 2003, 11:07
Oh well, just had an email from idiot #2 who tells me he is going to send me the cashiers cheque! (*stnned mullet*) I certainly haven't given them any information they couldn't otherwise look up in the phone book and I won't be releasing the bike to any beggar unless the cheque has fully cleared and I can look see all the money sitting in there.

I can't quite see how they would scam you by doing this though! personal info is obviously one option to be aware of but so long as you don' release the goods till payment is received in full, who cares!?

My mate could only come up with the following explanation if it is a scam:

Great New Scam

All you have to do is offer to buy a bike or car off someone from another country. Tell them you'll send them a cheque for the asking price, but an extra $3000-4000 for shipping, saying you are from the States, and give them a fake address. Don't worry if you aren't from teh states, just get a yahoo or hotmail address, so it won't be obvious, and then use really poor english (because we all know Americans talk like retards (present company excluded of course BB!) and put some of hte more important words in CAPS LOCK so that it looks impressive. Then send the cheque, and wait for it to be cashed. One it's cashed, the bike will be sent to the fake address...... and it will never arrive - and the person selling the bike will be really confused as you've given him a fake address - and all it will cost you is a measily $10,000 or so, just to make one random foreigner confused.

Coldkiwi
23rd October 2003, 11:25
Originally posted by Firefight
More importantly, what is the new bike your going to replace it with ??:eek:
firefight:cool:

ah well now... that would be telling wouldn't it!! :rolleyes:

I will tell you that I pick it up on Nov 2nd tho. Pic's/news of my rapturous joy will be posted accordingly! :D

Big Dog
23rd October 2003, 20:33
Like I said Money laundering. Your risk will be jail time if caught and prosecuted. Or a toe tag if you refuse to refund the money.

Potential gain? Expect to be able to negotiate a 10% cancellation fee.

Your call.

Hoon
24th October 2003, 09:21
These guys are scam runners trying to launder cash.  They scam people out of money and fool them into making the payments out to you instead.  Its easier for them to fake a delivery destination than to cover up a money trail.