PDA

View Full Version : Jif

PirateJafa
6th August 2009, 10:51
The magic liquid in a bottle. The best cleaning agent known to man, besides a wife.

It's not going to have any wayward effects on bike plastics and whatnot, I trust? Doesn't seem to be a particularly harsh liquid, but still?

007XX
6th August 2009, 10:54
The magic liquid in a bottle. The best cleaning agent known to man, besides a wife.

It's not going to have any wayward effects on bike plastics and whatnot, I trust? Doesn't seem to be a particularly harsh liquid, but still?

Why the need for Jif in the first place? It just seems a little drastic as it does attack some pretty mean spooge within the home...

Personally, I use a bit of dishwashing liquid if I'm short on car cleaning liquid.

vifferman
6th August 2009, 11:24
Jif has abrasives in it - DON'T use it on your plastics.

2wheeldrifter
6th August 2009, 11:30
I wouldn't use it..... get the wife to do it! :done:

No really, wouldn't use dude!

klingon
6th August 2009, 11:31
I've used Jif very successfully on a red bike seat. It removed all the imbedded dirt & grime and left it looking as good as new! I wish I had taken before & after pics.

2wheeldrifter
6th August 2009, 11:33
I've used Jif very successfully on a red bike seat. It removed all the imbedded dirt & grime and left it looking as good as new! I wish I had taken before & after pics.

True! always use a product that is made for what I want to use it on... within reason. each to there own:yes:

PirateJafa
6th August 2009, 13:11
Jif has abrasives in it - DON'T use it on your plastics.

Right, all I needed to hear, thanks!

Looks like I'll just need to use a bit extra elbow grease in cleaning the bike today instead. :niceone:

gijoe1313
6th August 2009, 14:43
Spend the dosh when Supercheap has a discount sale and buy up Meguiar's range of products ... they sure do the job when it comes to making your pride and joy all shinies and pretties ... my preccioussss ....

Mom
6th August 2009, 17:43

Dont listen to these fools, Jiff is safe to use on any surface, I particularly recommend it for cleaning your more delicate skin areas, for extra efficacy apply with a wire brush :D

Quasievil
6th August 2009, 18:05
Calcium Carbonate I think is the abrasive part,Not good for plastics at all. Alot depends what you want to clean, if grime and grease I use a turps and wash off with mild detergent afterwards.
If just dirt, just use detergents.

jono035
6th August 2009, 19:28
Why the need for Jif in the first place? It just seems a little drastic as it does attack some pretty mean spooge within the home...

Personally, I use a bit of dishwashing liquid if I'm short on car cleaning liquid.

Dishwashing liquid is bad juju on any car that you have a wax on, strips it right back, agressive as all hell. Made this mistake on my accord and then almost straight off (probably because I park down at the port) the paint started to fault in a bunch of places. Still haven't got it all fixed.

klingon
6th August 2009, 21:02
Dishwashing liquid is bad juju on any car that you have a wax on, strips it right back, agressive as all hell. Made this mistake on my accord and then almost straight off (probably because I park down at the port) the paint started to fault in a bunch of places. Still haven't got it all fixed.

Like those stupid window-washing fools at intersections who use dishwashing liquid in their stupid water bottles and ruin your paint work when it dribbles down! :angry: Happened to me years ago and I still haven't got over it! :mad:

KiwiRat
6th August 2009, 21:22

Yeah, that's because of the dissolved salts in it. It's bad shit for paint jobs, as you unfortunately found out.

jono035
6th August 2009, 21:50
Like those stupid window-washing fools at intersections who use dishwashing liquid in their stupid water bottles and ruin your paint work when it dribbles down! :angry: Happened to me years ago and I still haven't got over it! :mad:

Yeah, I remember seeing one of those guys at the lights and wondering just how much damage they have indirectly done to the paintwork on how many different cars!

KiwiRat: Yeah, it's just a pity I had to find out that way <_<

Spyke
7th August 2009, 08:02
if you have a dirt bike with scratched up and really dirty pastics use it. but thats all id use it for.