PDA

View Full Version : Need help - bike damaged by unknown person

Milts
6th August 2009, 21:35
So, on Tuesday I parked my bike in the usual place at Uni, out of the way of all the other dozens of bikes parked at the top of the student union building. Come back after an hour of class and find it two meters back from where I left it with the mirror folded in, the killswitch on, a bunch of new scrapes and a slight crack in my front top fairing :shit:

I reckon someone else dropped their bike/scooter on it and maybe knocked it over, and then picked it back up and walked off. I checked with Campus security, they have a camera in the area but my bike was just off screen - they can see the front wheel, and about 20 minutes after I parked it it gets moved, but they can't see what happened/who was there. So I have no way of finding out who did this. I do have full insurance (with Vero), but I have a 500$ excess... is it worth seeing if my insurance will cover a plastic weld + new paint job? Are they likely to cover it without proof/identity of who did it? And even if they do, is it worth it considering I'll have to pay $500 (which I do have, but would rather put into my savings)... thoughts?

mossy1200
6th August 2009, 21:43
So, on Tuesday I parked my bike in the usual place at Uni, out of the way of all the other dozens of bikes parked at the top of the student union building. Come back after an hour of class and find it two meters back from where I left it with the mirror folded in, the killswitch on, a bunch of new scrapes and a slight crack in my front top fairing :shit:

I reckon someone else dropped their bike/scooter on it and maybe knocked it over, and then picked it back up and walked off. I checked with Campus security, they have a camera in the area but my bike was just off screen - they can see the front wheel, and about 20 minutes after I parked it it gets moved, but they can't see what happened/who was there. So I have no way of finding out who did this. I do have full insurance (with Vero), but I have a 500$ excess... is it worth seeing if my insurance will cover a plastic weld + new paint job? Are they likely to cover it without proof/identity of who did it? And even if they do, is it worth it considering I'll have to pay $500 (which I do have, but would rather put into my savings)... thoughts?
insurance company will replace the fairing rather than weld it.
dont dwell to much as shit does happen.
Its even possible that you may not have had it stand properly and it fell over etc and someone picked it up for you.
Stick a sign up around the area asking if anyone knows what happened and at least if thats the case someone will let you know.
Otherwise someone has knocked and over and wouldnt man up .I know that if I had seen someone knock a bike over I would chalange them and get their details.

Taz
6th August 2009, 22:19
I don't know who did it sorry.

Max Preload
7th August 2009, 01:40
I don't know who did it sorry.

Me either.

davereid
7th August 2009, 08:38
Bad luck mate. But shit happens.

I absolutely promise you that in the future it will happen again, you will have a vehicle broken into or stolen, and that at least once every 5 years your vehicle will appear with a new dent or scratch.

Some arsehole has just walked the length of my car with a key, just to say hello.

Village idiots are just one of those great things about our great global village.

Waxxa
7th August 2009, 13:47
Can you live with the damage? I would suck it up if I could and leave the $500 excess to more substantial damage...

slofox
7th August 2009, 14:31
is it worth seeing if my insurance will cover a plastic weld + new paint job? Are they likely to cover it without proof/identity of who did it? And even if they do, is it worth it considering I'll have to pay $500 (which I do have, but would rather put into my savings)... thoughts?

If you ask your insurance company nicely, they will probably answer those questions for you....

crazyhorse
7th August 2009, 15:14
Can you ask around at Uni? Someone must've seen something ??? put up notices. Insurance is there for that purpose, so it would depend on how bad it is. I dropped my bike in the back yard, just scratched the side and broke the gear lever, so I won't claim insurance, not bad enough. Good luck

YellowDog
7th August 2009, 15:18
Before you go to the insurance company and mess up your 'no claims' get quotes to see how much you can fix it for. <$500 may do it. Panels can be respayed and matched up cheaply, so don't rush into anything until you know.

Good luck.

captain_andrey
7th August 2009, 16:26
Sux... I've had the same thing happen only at work in a secure garage. No one owned up. The good thing about insurance is they replace every single bit that has even the slightest scratch on it. Might be worth the excess.

Mully
7th August 2009, 16:35
Insurance will write off a 91 ZZR rather than replace panel.

I'd look for a cheap fix or just live with it.

Sucks, I know. But this is what happens when they make hunting fucktards for sport illegal.

Pegasus
7th August 2009, 16:51
It sux, I know. Similar thing happened to my car. It is called (by the insurance company) Hit by unknown Third Party. The claim could not be declined for that reason. You would have to pay the excess and lose your No Claims Bonus. It may well be worth lodging the claim, then if quotes come in under Excess or just over, you can withdraw the claim. Make sure you tell them that at the start though, so that they do not go ahead and authorise repairs to start, without you knowing. If you start repairs, without letting the Insurance Company know first, and find out there is more damage and you do need to claim after all, that can prejudice a claim and get it declined (still not likely, but a possibility).

peasea
7th August 2009, 19:48
Bad luck mate. But shit happens.

I absolutely promise you that in the future it will happen again, you will have a vehicle broken into or stolen, and that at least once every 5 years your vehicle will appear with a new dent or scratch.

Some arsehole has just walked the length of my car with a key, just to say hello.

Village idiots are just one of those great things about our great global village.

Happened to me just before we left Orks. Some gook twat backed into our almost new V8 Berlina and did a runner. I was inside a workshop and missed the incident but a local knew who he was and had his cell number! I rang him, set up a meeting for a job and he fronts, so I grab his rego number then get out to confront him. He tells me to fuck off and says "If you think I'm I'm paying you're fucking stupid."

I controlled myself (odd, I know) and told all this to the local bobbies. He was 'known to them' etc and then lo and behold, the cops ring me saying he laid a complaint against ME saying I threatend to KILL HIM! The next time I discuss a dent I'll take a witness.

Upshot was; I didn't have time to pursue it as I was already leaving town and the slimy fuck got away with it.

Hot water got most of the dint out of the plastic bumper but every time I wash that car I see the shit-bag's face and hope he still lives at the same address, coz I still go to Orks on occasion....

Milts
7th August 2009, 23:14
Cheers for the reply guys. Insurance won't cover it as they don't know who did it and whether or not they were insured. I only have 3rd party/fire/theft insurance because comprehensive while on a learners means I'd be paying the value of my bike in premiums about every 20 months or some such rubbish. Guess I'll suck it up and hope the crack doesn't worsen.

Nasty
8th August 2009, 01:09
Cheers for the reply guys. Insurance won't cover it as they don't know who did it and whether or not they were insured. I only have 3rd party/fire/theft insurance because comprehensive while on a learners means I'd be paying the value of my bike in premiums about every 20 months or some such rubbish. Guess I'll suck it up and hope the crack doesn't worsen.

PM Crazefox .. local wellington Magician!

MaxB
8th August 2009, 23:40
If you can live with the cosmetics fine. Just get it sprayed up when you sell.

I would get the structural stuff attended to though. Cracks have a habit of getting worse.

You can save yourself heaps by taking the fairing apart and taking only the bits you need plastic welding to the repairers.

vindy500
8th August 2009, 23:44

but when it gets broken (as in now) it makes full cover kinda worth it

1wheel riot
11th August 2009, 18:44
if you clame it then make shore they replace the damge with new genuen parts and it could be werth 1 to 2k to fix it and they will/should cover it if you have full insurince.

vindy500
11th August 2009, 19:32
I looked at your bike today at uni (i think) its not exactly major, whatever damage it did