PDA

View Full Version : Ferry thing on the news...

Disco Dan
6th August 2009, 22:35
Am I the only one to raise an eyebrow that only MEN where on the life boats... and most if not all the women and children pretty much lost their lives fighting to survive in the sea?

Did they not watch the Titanic movie... ever???

Is there something that I missed to give a genuine reason for it or is it some strange cultural thing I do not understand or know about?

Please, I'm not taking a dig - I just would like to know, it just seemed strange to me and I want to understand.

merv
6th August 2009, 22:39
Something to do with all the women and kids being inside the ferry when it sunk or capsized so they got trapped and couldn't get to lifeboats.

The price of privelege.

Disco Dan
6th August 2009, 22:45
Oh okay. Was that it? Far out.

Do you get a choice? or is it strictly upstairs/downstairs ?

Indiana_Jones
6th August 2009, 22:50
Oh okay. Was that it? And nobody went and got their kids or wives? Seems bizarre. I am certain there is much more to it than what was broadcast but... crikey?

Kinda hard when they're inside the iron coffin that is half way down to the bottom of the Pacific.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pj-1b1Yvep8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pj-1b1Yvep8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

-Indy

Fatt Max
6th August 2009, 22:52
They reckoned on the news that the women and kids may have been asleep below decks....shocker of an accident

Disco Dan
6th August 2009, 22:53
They reckoned on the news that the women and kids may have been asleep below decks....shocker of an accident

Oh I see, corr yes indeed. Very tragic accident.

Jantar
6th August 2009, 22:54
As I understand it there were no lifeboats launched. The capsize occured so quickly that those on deck were thrown into the water and many survived. Those inside would be unable to get out. The men were mainly on deck allowing the women and choldren the luxury of being below decks and therefore in the cool.

In 5 weeks time I'll be on a similar ferry between Upolu and Savaii (Samoa) and having been on this trip previously I know what to expect. Given the opportunity my wife and I will be below decks and out of the heat.

Disco Dan
6th August 2009, 22:58
As I understand it there were no lifeboats launched. The capsize occured so quickly that those on deck were thrown into the water and many survived. Those inside would be unable to get out. The men were mainly on deck allowing the women and choldren the luxury of being below decks and therefore in the cool.

In 5 weeks time I'll be on a similar ferry between Upolu and Savaii (Samoa) and having been on this trip previously I know what to expect. Given the opportunity my wife and I will be below decks and out of the heat.

Oh, wow I got the wrong impression from the news. I understand now thank you. I did not think of it that way with the heat and being below deck as good. I have never been there you see.

Thank you for the explanation.

Kendog
7th August 2009, 06:38
Oh, wow I got the wrong impression from the news. I understand now thank you. I did not think of it that way with the heat and being below deck as good. I have never been there you see.

Thank you for the explanation.

Ain't the news people great at building up wrong impressions like this. Makes for a better story.

ynot slow
7th August 2009, 13:52
Thankfully they're few and far between capsizings are.On the Wahine when it sunk we had friends aboard,a mother and her daughter.Both survived after getting seperated and in seperate life boats,the mother spent a while frantically yelling Storm,Storm and getting slapped silly for being hysterical(so they thought),but took her a while to say my bloody daughter is named Storm.
Best part was they were reunited with a guy who took the baby,(they never really saw him after),the doco Holmes did for 30th anniversary? reunited them.

ready4whatever
7th August 2009, 14:32
at first i thought the men would of beaten the shit out of the woman to get to the boats first therefore the woman got left behind. hmm sad anyway.

btw is it me or is everyone having baby girls now?! i know about half a dozen people who have recently had girls or are pregnant with them, where the hell are the boys? makes me think there will me much less men in the future

Madness
7th August 2009, 17:21
Am I the only one to raise an eyebrow that only MEN where on the life boats... and most if not all the women and children pretty much lost their lives fighting to survive in the sea?

It wasn't just you Disco.

I was following the news closely as I had a colleague over in Nukuolofa at the time and I'm off there next week.

I was initially equally as shocked by the fact that all the crew got back, including the Captain. No tradition there.

It's a sad event and to be honest, I'm more than a little aprehensive about my trip now.

It's interesting how much influence the media can have. There's just been two weeks of civil unrest and blockades in New Caledonia, resulting in around 30 injured Police (oh, dear). It's astounding me just what little media attention that story seems to be getting here and in Australia.

Mom
7th August 2009, 17:26
Reading the news reports today, the weather was not great, the men opted to stay above decks and let the women and children shelter below. What a shocker! My heart goes out to every one affected by this. What a terrible thing to happen to such a small place, there will not be many that are not affected over there.

LBD
7th August 2009, 22:42
Sad and tragic all round.....

Be interesting if TAIC are invited to review the icident....I expect they will. The final report may make some good reading.

Now, will the king Of Tonga return from (Exile in) Scotland?

NighthawkNZ
7th August 2009, 23:06

Sounds about right... but still sad thing to happen...

peasea
7th August 2009, 23:39
When things go pear-shaped with roll-on/roll-off ferries things go pear-shaped very quickly. It looked like a bit of a dunger too, probably overloaded. Sad day.

pete376403
7th August 2009, 23:42
According to Nat Radio, well within load limits for both passengers and cargo. And recently recieved a marine survey by Maritime NZ, if I heard correctly

peasea
8th August 2009, 00:01
According to Nat Radio, well within load limits for both passengers and cargo. And recently recieved a marine survey by Maritime NZ, if I heard correctly

Makes you wonder then don't it? Investigators will probably (hopefully) turn something up.

newbould
8th August 2009, 12:07
When things go pear-shaped with roll-on/roll-off ferries things go pear-shaped very quickly. It looked like a bit of a dunger too, probably overloaded. Sad day.

Overseas at the moment so haven't seen the news but I do remember a similar sounding incident in the north sea - amsterdam I think - roro left port not quite closed in the back door and sank like a rock. 1970"s??