PDA

View Full Version : Cat Crap anti fog product

flyingcrocodile46
8th August 2009, 08:16
A heads up on a product called 'Cat Crap' a wipe on & buff off antifog product for visors.

I bought a little container of Cat Crap on the recommendation of CycleTreads. Seemed to be pretty average but did reduce visor fogging a bit for about an hour. The 4th or 5th time I put it on, I noticed that the anti reflection coating was coming away in the middle of the visor on the inside and forming a distorted/obstructed view

I went to CycleTreads to see if they knew of any similar issues and to see what they thought. I told the yank there (nicely without any accusations) and he jumped all over me ranting that every single helmet manufacture has defective visors and that I should take it up with them as there was nothing wrong with Cat Crap. He was very aggressive in his defense of Cat crap, so I figured it wasn't going to be worth the effort of pursuing.

Then I thought I'd see if I could remove the rest of the coating with some Jiff and Brasso. (Brasso is great for polishing fine scuffing out of perspex, cheap sunglasses etc). I spent 10 minutes rubbing hard with both but couldn't get the coating to budge (just scuffed it a bit... bloody hard coating). So, I thought I'd give Cat Crap a go and Hey Presto, in a matter of 5 minutes the protective coating was completely gone.

I finished up with Brasso to buff out the slightly rough surface of the visor that the coating was adhered to. This left super fine scratches (difficult to see) that made the visor a little bit milky to look through.

So I figured I'd try a bit of silicone spray to fill all those super fine scuffs, then decided that it would be too liquid and wouldn't last long (plus would smear and distort the vision). Then I had a brainwave and got the wife's spray can of Pledge furniture polish and gave that ago. I couldn't believe the results :woohoo: Perfectly clear and optically correct.

Give it a go and see if you can extract a few more thousand k's out of your scuffed visor.

Oh yeah!... and don't buy Cat Crap........................... cause...

MotoKuzzi
8th August 2009, 08:54
Good info about the brasso, I've ditched dozens of cheap sunnies over the last few yrs.

Owl
8th August 2009, 08:58
All in the way you go about it. If done properly, you can get a visor mint without the extra crap.
Oh yeah, Neopol should work better than Pledge for hiding scratches. Very temporary fix though.

flyingcrocodile46
8th August 2009, 09:07
All in the way you go about it. If done properly, you can get a visor mint without the extra crap.
Oh yeah, Neopol should work better than Pledge for hiding scratches. Very temporary fix though.

Details please :yes:

p.dath
8th August 2009, 09:50
Just get a pinlock visor and forget putting the chemicals on your helmet. Everytime I've tried a chemical product to fix one thing it always seems to have consequences and makes some other problem happen.

smoky
8th August 2009, 10:02
The 4th or 5th time I put it on.............,

I went to CycleTreads to see if they knew of any similar issues and to see what they thought.

Then I thought I'd see if I could remove the rest of the coating with some Jiff and Brasso. .......
I spent 10 minutes rubbing hard with both but couldn't get the coating to budge (just scuffed it a bit... bloody hard coating).

I thought I'd give Cat Crap a go and Hey Presto, in a matter of 5 minutes the protective coating was completely gone.

I finished up with Brasso to buff out the slightly rough surface of the visor......
....that made the visor a little bit milky to look through.

So I figured I'd try a bit of silicone spray to fill all those super fine scuffs.....

Then I had a brainwave and got the wife's spray can of Pledge furniture polish and gave that ago. ..........

Give it a go and see if you can extract a few more thousand k's out of your scuffed visor.........

What a lot of effort to go to, just to put your self at risk!

Personally I don't put chemicals on my visor - or try to buff out scratches.
The chemicals may make it look cleaner but can weaken the visor - you won't notice until a stone hits the visor and shatters it
You can also buff out a visor so it looks crystal clear - until you have it on and come around a corner and catch the sun and suddenly you can't see anything

Visor scratched or distorted? Just get a new one
Fogging up? Use a pin lock or crack the visor open a bit and harden up

Just my opinion

Laava
8th August 2009, 10:25
Just get a pinlock visor and forget putting the chemicals on your helmet. Everytime I've tried a chemical product to fix one thing it always seems to have consequences and makes some other problem happen.
I have a 3yr old pinlock and recommend! Oh and I use HOT water out of the tap to clean it then dry with a tissue and Pledge it!
But that's just me.

Dealer
8th August 2009, 10:45
I use Rain-X. Tried cat crap but its a lot of effort for the same results as rain-x anti-fog. And yeah, new tinted visor for summer and new clear visor for winter, so a new one every 6 months cos i hate not seeing cars pulling out in front of me.

Owl
8th August 2009, 18:26
Details please :yes:

But that would end my visor repair business!:laugh:

Seriously though, I came up with an idea the other week, but haven't got around to trying it yet. It could be a big fail, but then maybe not and this new idea doesn't involve polishing!:D

ynot slow
8th August 2009, 22:12

Yep Neopol has something in it which shields/hides imperfections in timber and perspex type objects,helps mask scratched surfaces better than pledge.Neopol and steel wool is great on minor timber blemishes,also damp cloth and a hot iron on pine to help lift out small dents and bruises.

98tls
8th August 2009, 22:24
Cats crap sucks,try coke

smoky
9th August 2009, 16:22
Neopol and steel wool is great on minor timber blemishes,also damp cloth and a hot iron on pine to help lift out small dents and bruises.

Didn't know you could get timber or pine visors??

ynot slow
9th August 2009, 19:11
Didn't know you could get timber or pine visors??

Depends if you hit them lol.

Creeping Death
9th August 2009, 19:19
"Cat Crap" sounds dodgy as a product name as it is!

Creeping Death
9th August 2009, 19:20
Much like "Wet n forget"...:blink:

Elysium
9th August 2009, 20:55
Cat Crap is....well crap. I tried it and didn't work. I then spent $50 on an Oxford anti-Fog screen that fitted inside the visor and has worked very well and can fit in nearly all helmets.

R1madness
10th August 2009, 00:24
Cat Crap is....well crap. I tried it and didn't work. I then spent $50 on an Oxford anti-Fog screen that fitted inside the visor and has worked very well and can fit in nearly all helmets.

if your visor or screen need a polish try plexus. is expencive but oh what a job.

JMemonic
10th August 2009, 13:19
Works fine for me, had no issues, and this is not a new product so if it was so bad you would think it might have disappeared off the market by now.

Shaun
10th August 2009, 20:47
FOG CITY FOG SHEILD- Impossible to fog, even in a deep freeze, goes on the inside of your visor.

Re Brasso, try it on your bike and car head lights, makes a huge difference.

Swoop
11th August 2009, 11:36
Yep Neopol has something in it which shields/hides imperfections in timber and perspex type objects
I have been told that neopol has silicone in it. Don't use it on timber if you ever want to re-finish the item, as the polisher will have a bitch of a job.

Pledge is a wax based product and is much safer to use.

Owl
11th August 2009, 12:18
I have been told that neopol has silicone in it. Don't use it on timber if you ever want to re-finish the item, as the polisher will have a bitch of a job.

Pledge is a wax based product and is much safer to use.

Neopol does not contain silicone! We use it in our paint shop and we don't have any product that contains silicone, ever!

Swoop
11th August 2009, 12:33
Neopol does not contain silicone! We use it in our paint shop and we don't have any product that contains silicone, ever!
Good to confirm! I had been told and was a bit concerned. Silicone is a total bastard in the wrong places!

Owl
11th August 2009, 17:27
Silicone is a total bastard in the wrong places!

Oh so right!

We use Neopol for colour matching purposes, headlights and various other things.

You'll also find it's brilliant on non-painted bike plastics and makes brake calipers look real sharp (once dust is removed). In fact any place you'd want the silicone look, without the silicone!:yes:

Askelon
12th August 2009, 10:48
Funny you should mention that layer peeling off! I had a tub of the stuff which I never bothered to getting around to using (my visor doesnt fog too much) but I did give it to my sister to use on her hockey visor and her coating keeps peeling off that. I'll let her know!