PDA

View Full Version : Hyosung gt250 not shifting

jubilant
8th August 2009, 20:25
guys i have a 250 gt hyosung its a great bike to ride but im having some trouble in that the bike just will not shift into neutral once the engine is running..its fine when stopped but just not when its running any ideas other than an oil and filter change as thats been done today and still playing games?

mowgli
8th August 2009, 20:34
With the clutch fully in mine would often do that. I found the trick was to slip the clutch just a little then knock it up gently into neutral. Worked every time.

Zuki lover
8th August 2009, 20:39
seems that almost everyday someone is complaining about there taiwanese hunk of shit!:shit::shit::shit:

jubilant
8th August 2009, 20:44
its not a complaint i love my hyo but im a new rider so was wondering if anyone had experience of them being like that and what to do....just one thing has anyone that gripes about these hyos had a ride on one, its bloody good fun!!

will give the clutch slipping a go in the morning when im out for a razz

CookMySock
8th August 2009, 20:47
Has it just started doing it? Have you been rough on the gears? Have you just changed the oil?

Steve

quickbuck
8th August 2009, 20:54
guys i have a 250 gt hyosung its a great bike to ride but im having some trouble in that the bike just will not shift into neutral once the engine is running..its fine when stopped but just not when its running any ideas other than an oil and filter change as thats been done today and still playing games?

DB, it would be nice if you actually read the OP.

Anyhow, my guess is it is a technique thing. All bikes are different... just a matter of getting used to it.
Another thing may actually be that your clutch cable has stretched a bit over time.. they do that, and now the clutch is actually dragging a little when trying to find neutral.

mowgli
8th August 2009, 20:58
Another thing may actually be that your clutch cable has stretched a bit over time.. they do that, and now the clutch is actually dragging a little when trying to find neutral.

Good point. The shop mechanic that did my 1000km service mentioned specifically that the GT250 needed all the clutch travel it could get and told me to regularly check and adjust.

CookMySock
8th August 2009, 21:06
Did it start doing it right after the oil change?

Steve

puddytat
8th August 2009, 21:13
Quite afew bikes can be difficult to slip into neutral with the motor running & at a standstill....a technique you can try when coming to a halt is to slip it into neutro before it has come to a standstill....

jubilant
8th August 2009, 21:17
its been doing it since i got it about 4 months but i never paid it much attention as i dont do large k's on it so i just keep the clutch in when i stop and hold it in first , im going to give it a once over tomorrow and see what i can do but if anyone has dealt with this and could have a look for me then let me know and i will head over .

cheers for all the advice so far, its all being taken in and a plan of action is forming in my head

mattian
8th August 2009, 21:22
its not a complaint i love my hyo but im a new rider so was wondering if anyone had experience of them being like that and what to do....just one thing has anyone that gripes about these hyos had a ride on one, its bloody good fun!!

I used to have the same problem on my Suzuki VL 250. Just slip the clutch slightly like he says and try it again. Is it a brand new bike?? often parts need time to mesh together so that all the grooves are in the right places. Its not uncommon

CookMySock
8th August 2009, 21:29
its been doing it since i got it about 4 months but i never paid it much attention as i dont do large k's on it so i just keep the clutch in when i stop and hold it in first , im going to give it a once over tomorrow and see what i can do but if anyone has dealt with this and could have a look for me then let me know and i will head over .Try knocking it from 2nd into neutral at near idle while you are moving along at jogging speed WITHOUT using the clutch. If it slips into neutral really easy WITHOUT the clutch but tightens up real bad WITH the clutch, then I'd say you have the same fault we had.

Ask your bike shop to check the housing around the bearing underneath the clutch. I bet you have a cracked housing or a bent selector.

If you keep riding it, it might snap part of the housing off completely. This won't hurt anything, but your clutch lever will go really sloppy and loose, and when the engine warms up you will have little or no clutch at all.

If this is the problem, then I can probably help you further. We got the importer to come to the party on some labour.

Steve

jubilant
8th August 2009, 21:48
right thats great news i will have a good look as soon as its light and be back to let you guys know what the result was..

my experience with bikes is very limited but i would suggest a hyo to anyone starting out. a real good bike to learn on

jubilant
8th August 2009, 21:50
its a used 2004 with 50 k on the clock been abused a little but now in my loving hands, i give it more attention than i do my wife, the bikes got a better shape !!!

CookMySock
8th August 2009, 22:11
its a used 2004 with 50 k on the clockWell they might not help you out with that many kms (ours was near new), but at least you can fix it. The labour was about a grand, just on the engine. We did all the work on the bike, taking the engine out and putting it back in. (not difficult.)

Yeah the hyos are plenty of fun to own.

Steve

Jizah
9th August 2009, 07:49
I always had trouble on mine too. Like other people have said, make sure you're slowly moving when you try and change. Make sure clutch cable is adjusted properly, and also try revving the bike a little with the clutch in right before you try for neutral.

I always had to leave my self room in front of me when stopping, and combine these 3 things. Walk the bike forward in first with clutch engaged then rev it and change.

nosebleed
9th August 2009, 07:56
Sounds like a complicated procedure. Good luck

Of course it could just be that the clutch plates are worn

CookMySock
9th August 2009, 08:56
Of course it could just be that the clutch plates are wornWill that provide the same symptoms?

Steve

crazyhorse
9th August 2009, 09:32

Just gotta read these threads to know they are a bike with a lot of problems.

jubilant
9th August 2009, 10:29
this is the only problem i have with the bike and reading through a tech file i was sent last night i have found that it may be the shifter possitioning forks being worn?

im stripping the bike down today so will have a look and see whats what, shame though as i wanted to be out on the road today? maybe later

CookMySock
9th August 2009, 10:36
this is the only problem i have with the bike and reading through a tech file i was sent last night i have found that it may be the shifter possitioning forks being worn?Possibly. I would check the the bearing housing behind the clutch for a crack first. It's dead easy to get at compared to a full engine strip. If there is a crack, you will have to strip and replace the right-side casing, or swap a good-runner engine into it (not expensive).

Steve

Katman
9th August 2009, 12:36
I'd be looking closely at the fingers on the clutch basket. 50k of abuse could well have resulted in grooves being worn into those fingers making it difficult for the clutch plates to fully disengage from each other.

The fingers of the clutch basket can be carefully filed back to a smooth finish.

jubilant
9th August 2009, 22:12
had a good day of tinkering and things seem to be a lot better, shifting into neutral most of the time now with a bit of cable adjust and riding style and another engine oil change being about all i did, the mechanics all seemed in good nick ( to my poorly skilled eyes ) but thanks to everyone that has helped out with info and ideas...

i look forward now to passing the full test and getting out on the road with some of you !

again guys thank you very much for all the help its appreciated