PDA

View Full Version : Parking - why are bikers treated like 2nd class citizens?

Bob
9th August 2009, 05:10
A rant on the subject of bike parking... and why a lot of local authorities still seem to treat us like 2nd class citizens... (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/bikepark.htm)

YellowDog
9th August 2009, 06:13
I think the answer has to be that bikers don't expect to pay to park and car owners resent this as they generally have to pay heaps.

PirateJafa
9th August 2009, 08:08
All wrong.

It's because the council people don't ride bikes, and therefore couldn't give a toss about those nasty noisy things.

YellowDog
9th August 2009, 08:11
All wrong.

It's because the council people don't ride bikes, and therefore couldn't give a toss about those nasty noisy things.
Good point.

All KBers need to try and become elected as councillors.

It's the only way.

Grahameeboy
9th August 2009, 08:13
Believe it or not they have just put a bike parking bay in Devonport Village...guess we are not all 2nd class citizens.

Most car parks in Auckland allow free parking..have a shorter barrier to allow you to get in.

Anyway, you have got it wrong..we cannot be 2nd class citizens as we have the freedom of the road....

Grahameeboy
9th August 2009, 08:14
Good point.

It's the only way.

Please nooooo..........

thepom
9th August 2009, 08:48
christchurch is not bad for parking bikes,they have a few dedicated spoys throughout the city....:scooter:

Voltaire
9th August 2009, 08:50
Good point.

It's the only way.

Doesn't John Banks own a Harley?
Is he a KB member?:innocent:

nosebleed
9th August 2009, 08:55
and a Fezza.. could be one of the reasons he's got such a hard-on for roads

portokiwi
9th August 2009, 09:00
Wellington has lots of bike parks. When I had a bike that worked lol
I had no problems finding a park. Even when bike parks are taken The wardens tell you to take a car park but leave room so other bikes can park there for free as well.
Never had a problem (SOOOOOOOOO FAR):wari:

jono035
9th August 2009, 10:54
Having just started back at Auckland Uni I was utterly amazed at the stacks of motorcycle parking available. Bikes and scooters everywhere! Good stuff, provides entertainment as well by having a parade of people on scooters in shorts and jandals!

Sparrowhawk
9th August 2009, 11:14
Hell, there's heaps of bike parking in Ork-land. My favourite place is Civic, they have a huge area on the second floor just for us.

But lets face it, we will always be treated as 2nd class citizens. It's part of the Filthy Biker Scum image.

Squid69
9th August 2009, 11:24
Believe it or not they have just put a bike parking bay in Devonport Village...guess we are not all 2nd class citizens.

Most car parks in Auckland allow free parking..have a shorter barrier to allow you to get in.

Anyway, you have got it wrong..we cannot be 2nd class citizens as we have the freedom of the road....
I own the road.
Its mine!

crash harry
9th August 2009, 12:57
I think that rant misses the mark a bit. The truth is that bikes DO have quite a lot of parking freedom that cars don't. Try squeezing your car in between two pay&display parking spaces in town and see if you don't get a ticket. Try parking your car on the footpath and see how far you get (ok bikes will OCCASIONALLY get ticket for that but not very often). Most parking buildings let you park for free (because you'll just ride around the barrier anyway if they don't...) Remember, we're a minority on the roads, it's surprising that we get as many concessions as we do!

Ixion
9th August 2009, 13:00

Where is that? I was tehre yesterday and didn't notice it (probably because I didn't look, granted).

As to the OP - here in the Empire's crowning gem, bikers are definately not second class. We have reasonable amounts of (free) on street dedicated parking (arguing hard for more, but) . And bikes may park for free at the ends of metered parking areas everywhere in Auckland City. And parking in council car parks is plentiful, reserved and free. And if that still does not suit , then of course a bike may be parked in a car type parking space (one must pay then, but). Surely you can do the same? Not being provided with free dedicate parking is hardly being treated as a second class citizen.

Ixion
9th August 2009, 13:01
Having just started back at Auckland Uni I was utterly amazed at the stacks of motorcycle parking available. Bikes and scooters everywhere! Good stuff, provides entertainment as well by having a parade of people on scooters in shorts and jandals!

It didn't just happen you know.

Grahameeboy
9th August 2009, 14:21
Where is that? I was tehre yesterday and didn't notice it (probably because I didn't look, granted).

As to the OP - here in the Empire's crowning gem, bikers are definately not second class. We have reasonable amounts of (free) on street dedicated parking (arguing hard for more, but) . And bikes may park for free at the ends of metered parking areas everywhere in Auckland City. And parking in council car parks is plentiful, reserved and free. And if that still does not suit , then of course a bike may be parked in a car type parking space (one must pay then, but). Surely you can do the same? Not being provided with free dedicate parking is hardly being treated as a second class citizen.

There was probably a car in it!!..nah its opposite the Westpac Bank on the corner of Clarence Street / Victoria Street..

nudemetalz
9th August 2009, 21:41
All wrong.

Actually not true. I do a lot of work behind the scenes trying to get us extra bike parks in Welly.

PirateJafa
9th August 2009, 21:43
Actually, not true. I do a lot of work behind the scenes trying to get us extra bike parks in Welly.
I was talking about the article, which is in the UK.

nudemetalz
9th August 2009, 21:55
Totally realise that, but most people on here believe the councils don't care much for bike-parking.
Infrastructure and Parking here at Welly City Council have opened quite a lot of new bike parks this year.
I've had a bit of input into it, like asked where good spots are from a biker's perspective.

PirateJafa
9th August 2009, 22:00
In front of the pub is usually the winner.

PrincessBandit
9th August 2009, 22:02
... And parking in council car parks is plentiful, reserved and free.

Truly?? I take it that is as long as you're not in a car designated spot? i.e. park in any of the "dead" zones where you're not obstructing a cars access.

I'd have never done that because I'd be too afraid to come back to an empty space where I'd parked.

Danae
9th August 2009, 22:03
Totally realise that, but most people on here believe the councils don't care much for bike-parking.
Infrastructure and Parking here at Welly City Council have opened quite a lot of new bike parks this year.
I've had a bit of input into it, like asked where good spots are from a biker's perspective.

Bike parking seems a lot more positive in Wellington. I went there a little while back this year and saw bikes parked everywhere (even on footpaths).

Ixion
10th August 2009, 10:06
Truly?? I take it that is as long as you're not in a car designated spot? i.e. park in any of the "dead" zones where you're not obstructing a cars access.

I'd have never done that because I'd be too afraid to come back to an empty space where I'd parked.
There are signposted areas for bikes, but in general, yes, just tuck it out of the way . Sky City also have free bike parking, same deal.

But, caution. This ONLY applies to Auckland City and Sky City car parks. The Wilson and Tournament parking ones are variable, depends on the manager.