PDA

View Full Version : Kickstand/cut out issues?

.chris
9th August 2009, 14:11
Tried to go out for a ride today only to find my bike broken.

Starts as usual, get on, engage 1st gear and it dies.
hmmm, this happens if you try and take off with the kickstand down.
Checked kick stand, definitely up. try again....
Starts as usual, engage 1st gear and it dies again.

Gave the kickstand, kickstand cut out mechanism a good look over, and all appears to be fine (seems to be a magnet based one), gave it a little bit of a clean thinking maybe it is just this layer of dust/dirt on it causing the problem.
No joy.

Checked fuses to ensure it was not just he fuse for the safety system blown. All fine.

Anyone have anything they can suggest I check?

Just want to avoid having to put her on a trailer and drag it to the shop to have them fix it in 5 seconds and make me look like a useless tool.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

hayd3n
9th August 2009, 14:22
how bout removing the switch?

Max Preload
9th August 2009, 14:50
Or just leave the switch and jumper the wires at the connector...

p.dath
9th August 2009, 14:57
Get a multi meter out and check the kick stand switch. Sounds like it is not working.

.chris
9th August 2009, 16:25
PROBLEM SOLVED

On closer inspection of the bit attached to the stand (the bit with the magnet). It appears to to have been twisted a bit.
Un bolted it, and put it back on straight (to the eye), and what do you know it works.

Weird, cause it was still in a pretty good position related to the rest of the thing even when it was not on straight. Must have a small area it has to be near for it to work (I am talking it was about 1cm difference)

Thanks for you help guys. Now I only look like a tool on the internet, not at the bike shop. :shifty: