PDA

View Full Version : front brake rubbing...?

cammo
3rd April 2005, 13:15
after my slow speed fall onto the right had side of my bike the toher day, ive noticed that the front disk is rubbing against the brake pads?? :confused: i cant work out whats doing it or how to fix it...? and i am slightly worried as the track day is this weekend and want my bike to be going as good as poss.

so any help of any kind would be greatly appretiated!!!

Two Smoker
3rd April 2005, 13:57
after my slow speed fall onto the right had side of my bike the toher day, ive noticed that the front disk is rubbing against the brake pads?? :confused: i cant work out whats doing it or how to fix it...? and i am slightly worried as the track day is this weekend and want my bike to be going as good as poss.

so any help of any kind would be greatly appretiated!!!

Spin your front wheel and see if there is any wobble in the rotor. Also check the life left in the pads... if your rotor is warped you will feel the front brake lever pulsing...

speedpro
3rd April 2005, 14:00
The front could have been knocked out of alignment. Make sure your forks are straight and parallel to each other.

cammo
3rd April 2005, 15:14
naa i dont think the rotors bent cos i had to ride it home from wher i fell and that didnt happen...im not sure if it was rubbing b4 the crash and i was a lil worried that had beat up my bike after i had crashed (as you do!!) bit it doesnt seem normal to me so i duno...maybe the bike shop next week???

GSVR
3rd April 2005, 15:59
If a bike sits for a while you will notice the pads rub quite a bit when you push it around but after a short ride they wont be rubbing much at all.
Have you been for a ride a seen if they come right?

Hey keep practicing those weelies (I may get to ride in the Trackday yet)

Two Smoker
3rd April 2005, 16:47
naa i dont think the rotors bent cos i had to ride it home from wher i fell and that didnt happen...im not sure if it was rubbing b4 the crash and i was a lil worried that had beat up my bike after i had crashed (as you do!!) bit it doesnt seem normal to me so i duno...maybe the bike shop next week???

Check the wear on the pads then, and also do what speedpro said and check your forcks arent twisted... If they are twisted, just undo the bolts on the triple clamps and *ping* they will be back in place...

Zapf
3rd April 2005, 16:55
Check the wear on the pads then, and also do what speedpro said and check your forcks arent twisted... If they are twisted, just undo the bolts on the triple clamps and *ping* they will be back in place...

is twisted forks different to bent fork? :confused:

or in his case can it be the caliper mount bent from a good knock?

Two Smoker
3rd April 2005, 16:57

I wish it wasnt :crybaby:

erik
3rd April 2005, 21:31

or in his case can it be the caliper mount bent from a good knock?
Twisted just means the tripple clamps have moved a bit so they're not perfectly lined up. The number of times we've had to straighten out my brother's zzr's forks... ;)
The last one wasn't even his fault, some knob crashed into his front wheel while the bike was parked at uni. It had the steering lock on which stopped the bars from rotating, but the force was enough to break the base of the lock and twist the forks. Dunno who did it either.

Zapf
3rd April 2005, 23:34
Twisted just means the tripple clamps have moved a bit so they're not perfectly lined up. The number of times we've had to straighten out my brother's zzr's forks... ;)
The last one wasn't even his fault, some knob crashed into his front wheel while the bike was parked at uni. It had the steering lock on which stopped the bars from rotating, but the force was enough to break the base of the lock and twist the forks. Dunno who did it either.

amazing how many bikes I see at uni these days.... funny they haven't replaced the student car parks.... still!

cammo
4th April 2005, 00:03
thanks for all your help guys, i gotta do a lil bit of commuting tomorrow so i will see what happens and ill try the triple clamp bolts too and see what happens. so yeah ill see what happens....cheers for your help, its greatly appretiated!!!

will try post back tomorrow!

idb
4th April 2005, 00:07
One other thought.
I've got the same problem at the moment, it started a few days ago when I put the calipers back on after some maintenance work.
It seems to be that one of the pistons isn't retracting properly.
The book says to remove them, replace the o-rings, scotchbrite any crud off the pistons, lube them a bit with brake fluid & put them back in.
I'll do that this week.
Cheers

cammo
4th April 2005, 22:55
went for a ride today... still seems to be rubbing tho! so i might try the triple clamp thing and will try to find a way to jack my bike up to free spin the front wheel. will keep you posted

Two Smoker
5th April 2005, 07:14
went for a ride today... still seems to be rubbing tho! so i might try the triple clamp thing and will try to find a way to jack my bike up to free spin the front wheel. will keep you posted

Just get a mate to rock the bike onto its side stand...

erik
5th April 2005, 08:15
zzr250's have centerstands, just get someone to hold the rear wheel down while you are adjusting the forks. ie. have them sit on the pillion seat.

cammo
5th April 2005, 12:56
zzr250's have centerstands, just get someone to hold the rear wheel down while you are adjusting the forks. ie. have them sit on the pillion seat.

yes they do. but mine is in the garage in bits. it was scraping on the ground and i never use it so why have it!! and instead of a paddock stand...two car jacks doo the exact same thing!!! its great. (doesnt help the front tho)

Lou Girardin
6th April 2005, 13:37

Are they rubbing or binding, ie. is the wheel spinning freely?
The pads should make light contact with the disc and you can hear the pads rubbing when spun.

cammo
6th April 2005, 15:53
Are they rubbing or binding, ie. is the wheel spinning freely?
The pads should make light contact with the disc and you can hear the pads rubbing when spun.

i havnet lifted the bike clear of the ground yet, but when being pushed ther is a light scrapig sound....