PDA

View Full Version : Helmet damage question

That Guy
11th August 2009, 14:30
Hi there - I had a minor off on the weekend and smacked my helmet a bit. I should probably get it professionally checked to see if the polysterene has been crushed. Anybody know of a professional place to get helmets checked?

Thanks

BiK3RChiK
11th August 2009, 14:31
Dood! I wouldn't waste my time or money going down that road...

Get a new one! What's your brains worth?

Rodney007
11th August 2009, 14:37

what about a lowside and just a bit of a scrape?? with no real drop damage?

Waxxa
11th August 2009, 14:47
Replace helmet - no other alternative.

A helmet is designed to take 1 impact. Replace it!!!! Even though it may not appear to have been damaged, you are relying on its integrity of strength.

Any impact will compromise this.

BiK3RChiK
11th August 2009, 14:48
what about a lowside and just a bit of a scrape?? with no real drop damage?
Well, it all depends I guess.. A helmet that has been 'smacked' on the ground sounds a bit more than what you describe, but who's to know what impact the helmet had before it 'scraped' along the ground?

It's ultimately up to the owner of the helmet, but if I had impact damage on my helmet any more than a scratch, I'd be in the market for a new one. I value my brains and I've heard too many horror stories of brain damaged people to not buy a new one.

But, as you were....

Katman
11th August 2009, 14:59
and I've heard too many horror stories of brain damaged people to not buy a new one.

But most of them were probably like that before their helmets ever hit the road.

PrincessBandit
11th August 2009, 15:13
But most of them were probably like that before their helmets ever hit the road.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

BiK3RChiK
11th August 2009, 15:17

:whistle:.........

Nasty
11th August 2009, 15:19

I am so with you on this one ... helmets are there for one reason and once that one reason has eventuated you replace it. House and contents insurance will cover it if you bike insurance doesn't.

Gotta think ... what is it worth to me to be able to think.

dogsnbikes
11th August 2009, 15:30
what nasty said or try this:bash:

ready4whatever
11th August 2009, 15:49
polysterene? what about those motorcycle gangsters with nothing but a tin, open face helmet lol. splat

rickstv
11th August 2009, 15:52
You origanally bought your helmet to protect your head, it has now done it's job. It's only designed to do it once so dont muck around. Replace it

Rick.

The Stranger
11th August 2009, 16:02
What's your brains worth?

Ah, you do realise that this is KB eh?

vifferman
11th August 2009, 16:03
Do we need to find that thread that has the link to the Arai guy talking to Jay Leno? :rolleyes:
Basically, he said that if a helmet is toast after say, falling on the ground from your bike, then it was no good to start with. Helemts are designed to retain their integrity in very severe crashes, such as in a MotoGP race at a bazillion km/h. So if you had a lowside, and there was no real impact with the road, and the "bit of a scrape" is only superficial damage (i.e., only the paint is scuffed, but the shell isn't cracked or otherwise compromised), then keep it.

But it's all academic/epidemic/pandemic. I've had a helmet that was never dropped or involved in an altercation with the road, but cracked just from daily use. I had another that had a very slight scuff on the visor as its only sign of me falling on the road. I had mild concussion for three days from that, so I replaced the helmet. My last helmet was involved in a faceplant onto the footpath, but only the top of the visor and brow vents contacted the concrete, and I was doing less than walking speed, so I've kept it as a spare helmet for pillions, and have no problem with my loved ones wearing it.
Use your brains (unless they're faulty from falling on the road?)

YellowDog
11th August 2009, 16:05
What does a scraped or slightly damaged helmet say to others about you?

Get a new one.

p.dath
11th August 2009, 16:23
Consider this different angle. A helmet has a maximum lifetime of 5 years before you have to replace it anyway. How many old is your helmet?

If it only has a couple of years left anyway before replacement then just do it.

The Stranger
11th August 2009, 16:25
What does a scraped or slightly damaged helmet say to others about you?

You got me. What?

Katman
11th August 2009, 16:25
A helmet has a maximum lifetime of 5 years before you have to replace it anyway.

Wow - you're an absolute authority on everything, aren't you?

Deano
11th August 2009, 16:28
Consider this different angle. A helmet has a maximum lifetime of 5 years before you have to replace it anyway. How many old is your helmet?

If it only has a couple of years left anyway before replacement then just do it.

Well that's what the manufacturers say.......not that they have any agenda or anything.....

:rofl: Pot/kettle.

p.dath
11th August 2009, 16:29

It's a well established rule. Google it.

nodrog
11th August 2009, 16:35
ive never seen rossi come in and get a new helmet after sliding down the road on his head. somebody better email this thread to the moto gp safety people, cos they are doing it wrong.

Deano
11th August 2009, 16:38
ive never seen rossi come in and get a new helmet after sliding down the road on his head. somebody better email this thread to the moto gp safety people, cos they are doing it wrong.

It's all about the points and the championship on the track. They also race when injured, thus increasing their chances of crashing and doing more damage...but they have private insurance and probably pay through the nose.

(I know your comment was tongue in cheek) :niceone:

nodrog
11th August 2009, 16:40
(I know your comment was tongue in cheek) :niceone:

it was about rossi, so its more like "tongue in arse"

YellowDog
11th August 2009, 16:43
You got me. What?
Everytime someone sees your damaged helmet they are going to ask you where when what why and how you came off your bike.

Like that's something you want to publicise or be reminded of every time you meet someone?

The Stranger
11th August 2009, 16:51
Everytime someone sees your damaged helmet they are going to ask you where when what why and how you came off your bike.

Like that's something you want to publicise or be reminded of every time you meet someone?

WHAT THE FUCK!
You're shitting me right?

Like I'm going to spend $600.00 on a new helmet because of what someone else thinks?
You're out of your fooken mind, that's a set of tyres.

enigma51
11th August 2009, 16:53
Doug Get a perm

mister.koz
11th August 2009, 16:59
:rofl::rofl:

Can't find the smilie for black pots pointing and kettles...

Doug Get a perm

And a new helmet.

The packing in a helmet can't really be examined without distroying the helmet anyways so its a moot point.

Get an new one, save the doubt.

PrincessBandit
11th August 2009, 17:00

I still wear my scarred red Suomy jacket, complete with patched bits and scuffs. Perhaps jackets / leathers don't have such a "wow" factor when damaged to them is visible.

YellowDog
11th August 2009, 17:00
WHAT THE FUCK!
You're shitting me right?

Like I'm going to spend $600.00 on a new helmet because of what someone else thinks?
You're out of your fooken mind, that's a set of tyres.
OK - OK - So I have a mark on mine trying to get out of the garage before the door comes down AND no I don't care what other think about it.

It all depends how badly damaged the helmet is and its up to the owner to make the choice.

I wouldn't wear a badly damaged helmet that clearly looks like I have had a bin because there is a good chance that it has done its 'once only' job and may not be safe for a second go.

But also, I certainly wouldn't want to be reminded of it.

mister.koz
11th August 2009, 17:01
I still wear my scarred red Suomy jacket, complete with patched bits and scuffs. Perhaps jackets / leathers don't have such a "wow" factor when damaged to them is visible.

Battlescars are cool.

Not on helmets tho....

The Stranger
11th August 2009, 17:07
OK - OK - So I have a mark on mine trying to get out of the garage before the door comes down AND no I don't care what other think about it.

It all depends how badly damaged the helmet is and its up to the owner to make the choice.

I wouldn't wear a badly damaged helmet that clearly looks like I have had a bin because there is a good chance that it has done its 'once only' job and may not be safe for a second go.

But also, I certainly wouldn't want to be reminded of it.

I'm pissed off and don't like to be reminded that I dropped it in the carport, mainly because of the cost, but I aint forking over another 600 to erase the memory.

Last Shoei I biffed out we attacked it with the back of an axe. Took ten blows to crack the shell and at least another couple to penetrate it. I'm not too worried about the shell disintegrating in an impact, fook it, my head isn't worth that much.

YellowDog
11th August 2009, 17:14
10 Blows - WOW -

Agree that the replacement cost hurts more than the reminders.

That Guy
11th August 2009, 18:33
sounds like there aren't any professional tests that can be done....I thought Arai offered a service but maybe I was wrong.....wouldn't be the first time.

Jiminy
11th August 2009, 19:06
I've found this link very handy to make up your own mind:
http://www.smf.org/faqs.html

I came off a few months ago and hit my head on the ground. Slow speed and small hit at the visor's anchor point, but I've written my helmet off because I expect the inside bit to have done its job. You can find pretty cheap helmets, and cheap doesn't mean less safe than expensive ones (but it means less bells and whistles).

Moki
11th August 2009, 19:16
...get it professionally checked to see if the polysterene has been crushed.

No such thing. Helmets are a one use thing....and are designed to only do it once!