PDA

View Full Version : The Great Raid on TV2

nudemetalz
11th August 2009, 23:06
Just finished watching this movie.
What an awesome movie !!

Apparently the most successful rescue mission in US military history.

Just what those prisoners went through with the Japs during WW2 is absolutely terrible.

XRVrider
11th August 2009, 23:21
Nice, must get this for a look (not downloaded from the internet tho of course), cheers.

Indiana_Jones
11th August 2009, 23:27
Just what those prisoners went through with the Japs during WW2 is absolutely terrible.

I also felt sorry for the Germans caught by the Russians :shutup:

-Indy

Timber020
11th August 2009, 23:37
I also felt sorry for the Germans caught by the Russians :shutup:

-Indy

Yeah all the germas did was invade there country and murder russian men women and children by the tens of thousands. Still, they saved stalin some work I guess.

Indiana_Jones
11th August 2009, 23:42
Yeah all the germas did was invade there country and murder russian men women and children by the tens of thousands. Still, they saved stalin some work I guess.

The Germans were just the frist ones off the mark lol, the Russians would of invaded later.

Nothing like a purge to make the people love you!

-Indy

oldrider
11th August 2009, 23:49
Those little Jap buggers (of that time) were attacking Australia and getting ready to have a go at us too!

It was closer than most modern people will ever know and if it wasn't for the Yanks, we, my wife and I, would have been bayonet practice for them!

Apparently that was their favourite party trick, sticking babies and little kids! :sick:

People wonder why I have a soft spot for Americans! :hug:

Usarka
12th August 2009, 08:12
Those little Jap buggers (of that time) were attacking Australia and getting ready to have a go at us too!

It was closer than most modern people will ever know and if it wasn't for the Yanks, we, my wife and I, would have been bayonet practice for them!

Apparently that was their favourite party trick, sticking babies and little kids! :sick:

People wonder why I have a soft spot for Americans! :hug:

Which is a good argument for us sending troops to afghanistan etc and helping the yanks out a bit.

Otherwise next time they might say "good luck you're on your own".....

Swoop
12th August 2009, 08:13
Didn't see it, but have it taped for later.

I read the book which this is based upon which includes the Bataan fighting and the "Death March" that followed. The few survivors of the march ended up in that prison camp.

The utter barbarism inflicted by the japanese... The POW's were doubly lucky.

Oakie
12th August 2009, 15:19
My dad was captured by the Japanese after the fall of Singapore and spent 3 1/2 years in Japanese work camps in Java. He never spoke about it to any of us except for telling me how to count to 5 in Japanese and telling me how they caught and ate a cat on one of their forced marches. He said it tasted like coconut. Mum would ask him stuff but he said he just couldn't talk about it.
Fortunately he retained a degree of health through the war and was thus fed his 2 ounces of rice a day so he could continue working for the Empire. The only things I learned of his own experiences were from an interview he did when he returned from the war. Pretty harrowing stuff.

He didn't appear to be bitter towards Japanese people as I was growing up although when the motor vehicle dealership he managed got a Honda franchise he refused to sell them and was left to manage the Austin division.

He died of a heart attack at age 57 and that was put down to what he went through in the camp.

HenryDorsetCase
12th August 2009, 15:22
I saw a little of it including the very end. Will look out for the DVD to watch the whole thing without ads. I really liked the newsreel footage at the end.

And Benjamin Bratt's bitchin' hat.

ready4whatever
12th August 2009, 15:48
I watched it, it is a good movie. poor buggas, imagine waiting their on your knees knowing you are gonna be killed, with a handgun or sword.

and yeah i also liked watching the actual footage in the end

Slicksta
12th August 2009, 17:14
I will have to look into it.
A good movie about the Japanese work camps is "To end all wars" in my opinion one of the best movies ever made

Pedrostt500
12th August 2009, 17:23
I was working with a kiwi Veit nam, years ago, he said when he was based in singapore in the early 70s that they were doing some building on the base, and dug up a mass grave from the Jap ocupation in WW2, the way I understood it the old NZ base was part of the POW camp, though I stand to be corrected.

Swoop
12th August 2009, 21:21
Just finished watching it. I was surprised they didn't show the one chap who was left behind, literally sitting on the dunny!