PDA

View Full Version : RE: Dubai

vazza
12th August 2009, 16:24
Yo, this is a pretty random thread.

But my dad may have a business opportunity in one of these new super structures that's being built in dubai. I think its called Burj Dubai.

Anyways, hes asked if I would like to move over there for about 6 months to work for him and help him set things up.

Question is, are you able to ride over there? Anyone know anything about the place :D? I would say they would have some insane dunes!

REDRIDER
12th August 2009, 16:38
do it bro, if for no other reason than to see the world, sort of wish I had got out there and now cant... ya know. I had a friend who worked in that part of the world for a year and love it..

LBD
12th August 2009, 16:52
Its an adventure....If theres nothing pressing, keeping you in NZ, then go....

(BTW, get your NZ tax sorted before you leave....)

YellowDog
12th August 2009, 16:58
Dubai is great however you need to be careful when not in the main centres.

As well as getting pissed and wild women, there are also motorcycle clubs that you should join for a safer experience.

My vote would be to go for it and enjoy the adventure.

Good luck.

shafty
12th August 2009, 17:11
We're off to Bahrain (neighbour to Dubai) on Monday - bring it on!

humai
12th August 2009, 17:43
Went to Dubai and out into the desert on a 4WD trip earlier this year. Conjure a mental picture of 1000s of Muriwai/South Head bombing ranges. Dunes literally as far as the eye can see.

You may have to check on desert access rights etc - not sure what the go is there.

It's close to a whole heap of interesting countries - do it for the worldly experience if nothing else, even if you don't ride.

flyingcr250
12th August 2009, 17:58
id go just for the 1% tax

xgnr
12th August 2009, 20:53
Do it ...

Take the opportunity, I am sure you will find women , grog and a bike

Hemex
13th August 2009, 01:23
Yo, this is a pretty random thread.

But my dad may have a business opportunity in one of these new super structures that's being built in dubai. I think its called Burj Dubai.

Anyways, hes asked if I would like to move over there for about 6 months to work for him and help him set things up.

Question is, are you able to ride over there? Anyone know anything about the place :D? I would say they would have some insane dunes!

Sent you a PM bro...

secondfield
13th August 2009, 11:57
Theres an in -depth article in this months ADB (australsian dirt bike)magazine on a bunch of riders in Dubai. They call themselves 'team gay' Lol...

Reckon its the best riding they have ever done ... hundreds of sqkm of virgin desert and dunes. The temperature peaks out at about 45 deg though - 3 liter camelback required. There are even contact details given about where to find them. After reading the article I was buzzing about trying to get there. The boss may also find it in his heart to send me there for a while, Im in Sydney at the mo' so got the ADB mag earlier than in NZ. It should be on your shelves now though ..

Get a 450 to ride over there, its the only thing that will pull you up those monster dunes they reckon..

Lucky bastard! DO IT!

camchain
13th August 2009, 12:39
You should definitely go vazza. Before the end of the month?;)

Chia
13th August 2009, 22:31
Yep you should go.... bike or no bike, it's only 6 months and in the big scheme of things it's not a long time go without riding. Although from what the others have said there's bikes, sand dunes and women... who could ask for more...:rockon:

oldguy
13th August 2009, 22:39
Its an Arab country, just be careful you don't upset anyone.

kjames
14th August 2009, 05:18
i'm living there at the moment... depending on the time of the year, the riding is perfect..

Oct through to May, it couldnt be better. I was out last weekend and its getting a tad warm now.

You can ride in the desert pretty much unlimited. There are a couple of areas that are resticted due to oil drilling, but to be honest we ride there as well and providing you stay away from the plants you get no problems.

Sand / Dune riding takes a little getting used to.

road riding, thats a different story... The combo of Arab, Egyptian, Indian and European drivers is a strange combo and one best not experienced on two wheels.

On the down side, its expensive here. Rents have come right down, but still way more than NZ... beer is super expensive.

Second hand bikes are reasonable at the moment as lots of expats are leaving due to redundancies, so are selling off their toys.

Karl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZAxpXjrbY

this is some helmet cam footage from a trip less than 1hrs drive from center of dubai. Hiring an MX bike isnt a problem either

CHOPPA
14th August 2009, 18:33
i'm living there at the moment... depending on the time of the year, the riding is perfect..

Oct through to May, it couldnt be better. I was out last weekend and its getting a tad warm now.

You can ride in the desert pretty much unlimited. There are a couple of areas that are resticted due to oil drilling, but to be honest we ride there as well and providing you stay away from the plants you get no problems.

Sand / Dune riding takes a little getting used to.

road riding, thats a different story... The combo of Arab, Egyptian, Indian and European drivers is a strange combo and one best not experienced on two wheels.

On the down side, its expensive here. Rents have come right down, but still way more than NZ... beer is super expensive.

Second hand bikes are reasonable at the moment as lots of expats are leaving due to redundancies, so are selling off their toys.

Karl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZAxpXjrbY

this is some helmet cam footage from a trip less than 1hrs drive from center of dubai. Hiring an MX bike isnt a problem either

Cool vid! Man id have to take a compass, id love to play in those dunes though