PDA

View Full Version : GPS users, your assistance please?

pritch
13th August 2009, 09:02
There is a speedo thread hereabout in which several people have mentioned GPS readings. A quick look indicates that there is a wide range of prices, from very inexpensive up to the Zumo at about $1500.

The Zumo might look OK on a GS BMW or an ST1300 Honda but...

In the past I have tended to subscribe to Finn's theory of navigation which suggests that when your way is blocked by water, you stop.

I see that the "mapping" receivers cost about $800, but maps cost a couple of hundred each and I'd eventually need two.

What make and model recievers are you guys using, and what do you actually use them for?

I did see Cowboyz' thread some time ago but it looked technically complicated I don't want to get into hacking or cracking.

If anyone could shed light where there is currently darkness it'd be appreciated:yes:

cowboyz
13th August 2009, 09:15
I use a garmin legend for ~$200. It does navigate but pretty hopeless at it.

I really only use it for recording. So I can work out what went wrong after the fact and it keeps average speeds etc. Its a pretty good unit. I think its been overtaken by the garmin GPS60 but they are waterproof and pretty much idiot proof.

NighthawkNZ
13th August 2009, 09:26
I use the Garmin Quest... it does the job :)

vifferman
13th August 2009, 09:27
I use a TomTom 1 3rd Edition, solely because I bought it using FlyBuys points. However (but!) I'd buy another TomTom just because it's such a great GPS. The only things I don't like about it are that the screen could be bigger (it's only 3.5"), the battery has only 1 hour lifetime, and it doesn't have enough on-board memory for the European maps, so we can't take it to Yrp with us next year, unless we load only the smaller maps, rather than the whole Western Yrp map. The features, ease of use, logic, etc. are all fantastic, and I have found nothing so far that I don't like or think could be improved.
We'll probably give it to one of the MutantSpawn when we upgrade.

I've used it twice (2 times) on the bike, and it was good. I just stuck the mount on the underside of the windscreen. Next time I'll stick it on the tacho or speedo face. The only other GPS I've used on the bike was a Navman, which wobbled too much and fell off a few times.

We use the TomTom in the car even when we know where we're going, as it has some features that are useful even when your route is known, like speed checking (I've set it to moo when we go more'n 8km/h over the speedlimit), time of arrival, distance to destination, points of interest, alternative routes, etc etc. I've found too that it's great when driving places around D'Auckland that I don't ge to very often, as I don't have to think about which way to go - just plug in the destination (or click it, if it's a favourite), and concentrate on driving.

cowboyz
13th August 2009, 10:07
), and concentrate on driving.

that doesnt sound like an auckland driver.

sorry too easy.

Rockbuddy
13th August 2009, 10:28
I use a garmin Zumo550 on my cruiser and use it in the car as well it has bluetooth so the phone connects so it becomes a good hands free unit, has an mp3 player, as far as maps go i use opensource maps found here http://www.nzopengps.org/ they are free and are updated weekly but only work on garmin gps

ynot slow
13th August 2009, 10:30
Navman S30 off trade me for $200,as new and accurate,has 3.5" screen.Works for us,haven't tried it on the bike.battery life is good.

cowboyz
13th August 2009, 10:37
the S30 is not waterproof is it?

Nasty
13th August 2009, 10:41
Navman S30 off trade me for $200,as new and accurate,has 3.5" screen.Works for us,haven't tried it on the bike.battery life is good.

I have the S150 with a slightly larger screen ... its attached to the bike using a RAMM mount and Aqua box.

Jantar
13th August 2009, 10:48
The early model Garmin Legends were pretty good for speed etc and the maps (free in NZ) were OK. But no routing and very slow to upload and download. Their accuracy was also pretty good when in exposed areas, but not very sensitive when in deep valleys of thick bush.

The newer Legend HCx (around $400 when bought new on eBay) are much better. Great detail, highly sensitive so they seldom lose lock on satellites and routing. The maps are available free from open source http://nzopengps.org/ and are better than the commercially available ones.

Devil
13th August 2009, 10:50
garmin GPS60 but they are waterproof and pretty much idiot proof.

Yep, about $500 new too, and opensource maps are free.
They navigate just nicely and they're a good handheld as well.
Battery life is good too.
I'll probably end up with one of these.
Would love a zumo because of it's bluetooth, mp3, touchscreenyness, but cant really justify the price to the Treasurer, plus apparently it only routes on road. (so no offroad routes, correct me if I am wrong).

Edit: It's the 60Csx that I mean. I'll be getting one of those.

The Pastor
13th August 2009, 11:04
I have the garmin gps 60csx something or other, cost about $700 and with the free maps its really good.

Handhelds are great for the bike, i have it cliped to my jacket and i can just pull over and turn it on if i ever get lost. - dont try to mount it so you can see, accident waiting to happen

i bought it for hunting and its great

Hitcher
13th August 2009, 11:09
The zumo 550 with the NZ opensource maps takes a power of beating. I also own a Garmin Etrex Legend and can't see it going within 20% of what the zumo can do. It's not hardwired into the bike for a starter, bringing into play the joys of AA batteries and being able to read a screen the size of a matchbox at night, or during the day with associated screen glare for that matter.

Shop around and you'll find you can buy a zumo with change from $1,100.

Devil
13th August 2009, 11:11
dont try to mount it so you can see, accident waiting to happen

Sure, but for the rest of us who can handle more than one thing at a time:
Has a nice snug RAM mount and the directions are pretty good.

ynot slow
13th August 2009, 11:11
the S30 is not waterproof is it?

No,grabbed it for the car,but can put it in jacket for protection,or mate has radar on his busa behind screen and no weather probs,so if gps was mounted there be similar,need to remove if stopped and raining though.Plastic cover an option as well maybe.

Devil
13th August 2009, 11:13
Shop around and you'll find you can buy a zumo with change from $1,100.

Check pricespy, can get it for under $1000 now (just).

The Pastor
13th August 2009, 11:15
Depends if you get a handheld one or not, handhelds require more use - screen turning off, small buttons, small screen, harder to use

incar ones are better as they have a bigger screen with typically larger easy to use buttons - but are often not waterproof.

Also have to think about vibrations etc, might not be an issuse, but my radar dector has come out of its ram holder from vibrations / wind

cowboyz
13th August 2009, 11:39
i havemy handheld mounted just in front of me and use it just fine.

vifferman
13th August 2009, 11:49
..concentrate on driving.

that doesnt sound like an auckland driver.

No.
But being a motorcyclist most of the time, I'm probably atypical.
Plus I don't actually think of myself as a D'Aucklander. While I currently live here, I've also lived in Rotorua, Canberra, Rotorua, Hamilton, Christchurch, and Tauranga.
Given the choice, I'd probably live somewhere else, like Central Otago.

pritch
13th August 2009, 13:23
No.
I'd probably live somewhere else, like Central Otago.

I'd like to live maybe half the year in Otago. Not this half though!:cold:

Gremlin
13th August 2009, 13:35
I have a Garmin Zumo550, and use the NZ open source maps (link already provided).

From the official importer, Challenger Motors, it will set you back a smidgen over $1100 inc GST, its a not a parallel import etc. Remember that part of the cost of the Zumo package is the mounting hardware. Ram solutions for both car and bike, hardwire kit for bike, cigarette lighter charger for car, plus AC power cord, usb transfer cable etc.

Open source maps would be one of the most accurate in NZ, and if you do find an error, point it out, and it gets fixed. Updated mapset normally available every week. Huge POI database courtesy of www.zenbu.co.nz. Maps can only be used with Garmin GPS.

My Zumo would have clocked up over 15,000 km, no issues, bouncing down plenty of rough roads (and into one ditch :whistle:) and through thunderstorms. Rugged it certainly is.

What do I use it for? Well, pretty much anything. Basic navigation for long rides, going to strange places easily, long touring, and also tracking corrections and changes to the mapset (I go out of my way to find errors, to make the mapsets more accurate :yes:)

It doesn't do 1 second track logs (only really handy for tracking road accuracy) but touch screen is pretty easy to use, and can be used with gloves. Plays MP3's (chuck a sd card in, I know it will support at least 4GB) bluetooth to helmets and phones etc.

slofox
13th August 2009, 13:52
my radar dector has come out of its ram holder from vibrations / wind

Lay off the beans in the diet then...:whistle: :dodge:

Hoon
13th August 2009, 14:36
I have a Garmin 60Cx. Primarily purchased for tramping/hiking type activities so it was a pleasant surprise to discover it also did road autorouting stuff with the free OpenGPS maps.
Comes in very handy as a handheld especially when doing the tourist thing overseas - sitting in a bus/train at night and knowing exactly where you are and which stop to get off - also being able to tell taxi drivers which streets to take :)
I always take it with me when I go out of town even when I'm not driving, so handy to find food/atm/fuel places instead of looking up and down the street.

If you are only needing in/on vehicle GPS then get the bigger screen Zumo type GPS's. If you fancy some mobile action as well then get a handheld (smaller screen but). Eventually I want to upgrade to a PDA type camera/phone/GPS/computer/media player all in one gizmo.

Devil
13th August 2009, 14:44
I have a Garmin Zumo550, and use the NZ open source maps (link already provided).

From the official importer, Challenger Motors, it will set you back a smidgen over $1100 inc GST, its a not a parallel import etc. Remember that part of the cost of the Zumo package is the mounting hardware. Ram solutions for both car and bike, hardwire kit for bike, cigarette lighter charger for car, plus AC power cord, usb transfer cable etc.

http://www.notebookcity.co.nz/product/garmin-gps-zumo-550-motorcycle-navigation-bluetooth-nz-new

Says "NZ New" and 12 month warranty... comes with mounts n shite...

Hrm, she'd kill me.

pritch
13th August 2009, 15:05
I Eventually I want to upgrade to a PDA type camera/phone/GPS/computer/media player all in one gizmo.

I've just become aware of those and did think that I might be able to kill two birds etc, but the phone/PDA items I've seen so far don't seem robust or waterproof enough for bike use.

There are reviews of multi purpose GPS receivers which comment that in some respects the item would be better if it was less "jack of all trades"...

I'm still undecided whether to buy a less expensive item and make do, or go the whole hog and get a Zumo. The price of the Zumo is looking a lot better here than what I'd seen previously.

So thanks guys there is some good info in this thread, I had only previously seen ads for the expensive Topo(?) maps and was unaware of the open source downloads.

NordieBoy
13th August 2009, 18:12
My old greyscale eTrex Legend did about 70,000km on the dash of the Nordie and then the DR until I sold it to FredOnTour and he finally killed it. Once you smear vasaline around the battery inc the ends, vibration isn't an issue.

I love my Quest and will pick up a spare when I can get one cheap.

NZOpenGPS maps and free Topo maps too.

xgnr
13th August 2009, 18:41
A quick look indicates that there is a wide range of prices, from very inexpensive up to the Zumo at about $1500.

The Zumo might look OK on a GS BMW or an ST1300 Honda but...

I

Pricey but an excellent product.

I know where you can get these for $1000 including GST (NZ Maps etc an Auckland outlet, legit reseller) PM me if you want the contact details. Its only two sets of tyres (ouch)

Cheers

Stu

ps I have no financial or other interest in this, just helping out ok :yawn:

pjpnz
14th August 2009, 06:49
I use a Tomtom One. Took to Aussie for two weeks on a FJR. Brilliant for navigating motorway system and city streets. Strongly recommned mounting backets from RAM soluitions in NZ. Great company!

When in Oz, I found a map (old technology!) best for setting routes and getting the 'big picture'...but GPS great for getting through town and cities; and deciding which was to turn 200 km form anywhere.

Crisis management
14th August 2009, 16:01
I use a Zumo as well and can't fault it, ride with it in any conditions and use it with winter gloves no problem, given my need for reading glasses now (I hate old age..) it has big enough print to be usable without ferreting about trying to find glasses.
It's bloody robust too, I have taken my crash testing seriously and haven't managed to stop it yet.
Have a look at some and see the differences, at the end of the day your needs may be quite different to mine.