PDA

View Full Version : Mission One electric sportsbike

Matt Bleck
13th August 2009, 13:29
This bike boasts a top speed of 150 mph, a range of 150 miles on one charge and 100 foot-pounds of torque.

I'm not sure about the look of it and $70,000 is a bit step for me!

http://www.ridemission.com

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1BHo3fYzJc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1BHo3fYzJc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

R6_kid
13th August 2009, 15:16
Looks mean in black.

I also saw that the failed Motocycz C1 MotoGP bike has been turned into an electric bike as well.

p.dath
13th August 2009, 18:13
Consumer class (as in affordable and practical) electric vehicles are getting so close now. We need more vehicles like this to help improve the technology and knowledge in this area.

scracha
13th August 2009, 18:16
They haven't put much effort into it. Why does it have a chain? Why isn't it two wheel drive.

sil3nt
13th August 2009, 18:37
Looks like a camel.

bogan
13th August 2009, 18:59
Consumer class (as in affordable and practical) electric vehicles are getting so close now. We need more vehicles like this to help improve the technology and knowledge in this area.

The techs already there, lots of homer projects are built as consumer class bikes. Jozzbikes Aprilia (http://www.jozzbikes.co.uk/PHEV/electric_motorbikes/conversions.php?request=2&PHPSESSID=3b99ac913ee9cf4604c8f0ca475ae7f9) can do 80mph and 40 mile range, can probly get the components for bout 6-7k nzd, plus rolling frame.

p.dath
13th August 2009, 19:01
The techs already there, lots of homer projects are built as consumer class bikes. Jozzbikes Aprilia (http://www.jozzbikes.co.uk/PHEV/electric_motorbikes/conversions.php?request=2&PHPSESSID=3b99ac913ee9cf4604c8f0ca475ae7f9) can do 80mph and 40 mile range, can probly get the components for bout 6-7k nzd, plus rolling frame.

I don't think the battery technology is really quite there yet. We need a lighter battery combined with something like a hyper-capacitor that doesn't cost as much as the whole vehicle.

bogan
13th August 2009, 19:14
I don't think the battery technology is really quite there yet. We need a lighter battery combined with something like a hyper-capacitor that doesn't cost as much as the whole vehicle.

It depends on what you want out of it, 40 miles is plenty for a nice sunday ride, not enough for a weekend away. Priced up a decent set of lithium iron phosphate cells, 60-80k range at legal speeds would be around 2k, can supply massive currents, 30kw-ish, and engine brake at 10kw-ish.

jono035
13th August 2009, 20:02
They haven't put much effort into it. Why does it have a chain? Why isn't it two wheel drive.

The extra un-sprung weight provided by hub-motors would be my guess. Also, generally, a single higher-power electric motor will be more efficient in terms of power-to-weight than 2 smaller motors. The only real benefit I can think of from hub-motors would be being able to regeneratively brake on the front wheel, but that wouldn't be worth throwing the handling out the window for...

jono035
13th August 2009, 20:33
It depends on what you want out of it, 40 miles is plenty for a nice sunday ride, not enough for a weekend away. Priced up a decent set of lithium iron phosphate cells, 60-80k range at legal speeds would be around 2k, can supply massive currents, 30kw-ish, and engine brake at 10kw-ish.

30kW is 40hp. Assuming you need around 15hp to cruise at 100km/hr on a reasonably light bike then that is around 10kWh worth of battery pack to run it for an hour which would get you a best case of 100k range, which I would guess would shake down to more like 50 once you account for losses around the place and regeneration inefficiencies... From the Wikipedia article on Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries it states a current energy density maximum of 110Wh/kg, which would be a 90kg battery pack. The price listed is minimum of US$0.50/Wh, so USD$5k for that same battery pack.

It seems the numbers work out reasonably well although that's a lot of battery weight. 10kg for motor, 10kg for controller/wiring and you're at 110kg, 20L of fuel would make that equivalent to a 90kg petrol engine... I'm definitely interested to know where you priced those batteries from though...

p.dath
13th August 2009, 21:23

That sounds too good to be true. Is that US$ maybe?

jono035
13th August 2009, 21:38
That sounds too good to be true. Is that US$ maybe?

Might be in USD and not including shipping from China. Very interested to know the specs on the cells and the pricing...

bogan
14th August 2009, 09:50
Its based on a calculated 100kmhr power consumption of 5.3kw, with a pack size of 40aHr at 72V, or 2.9kwhr, ahh bollocks, i used the old and broken spreadsheet in the previous post. But 40ahr could get you 55km, and a 40 ahr pack from here (http://www.evcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TS%2DLFP40AHA) is 1550NZD + shipping from the states, weighing in a 36kg. So maybe for that price its still in the commuter arena, rather than a sunday rider, then again 36kg + 20 for the motor and controller, is probably lighter than most IC engins + pipes + gas +rad etc, so addining another 20ahrs would give it a decent range too.

jono035
14th August 2009, 11:52
Its based on a calculated 100kmhr power consumption of 5.3kw, with a pack size of 40aHr at 72V, or 2.9kwhr, ahh bollocks, i used the old and broken spreadsheet in the previous post. But 40ahr could get you 55km, and a 40 ahr pack from here (http://www.evcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TS%2DLFP40AHA) is 1550NZD + shipping from the states, weighing in a 36kg. So maybe for that price its still in the commuter arena, rather than a sunday rider, then again 36kg + 20 for the motor and controller, is probably lighter than most IC engins + pipes + gas +rad etc, so addining another 20ahrs would give it a decent range too.

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting the numbers. Is the 5.3kW for 100km/hr a standard rule-of-thumb type value or has this been calculated for your specific application?

What are the motor and controller that you are using and roughly what are they worth? Is there a thread floating around with any of this info?

I'm doing my masters in electrical engineering on EV related stuff at the moment, but I've never really run the numbers on an electric bike before, makes a lot of sense and is a much easier target than a full EV.

Leyton
14th August 2009, 11:54
As long as it handles like my fossil drinker and produces the same feedback in terms of handling and sound I am happy!

jono035
14th August 2009, 11:57
As long as it handles like my fossil drinker and produces the same feedback in terms of handling and sound I am happy!

Not 100% on the sound but the handling in theory shouldn't be too hard to get similar given the normal weight and distribution of engine/fuel etc...

Leyton
14th August 2009, 12:11
Not 100% on the sound but the handling in theory shouldn't be too hard to get similar given the normal weight and distribution of engine/fuel etc...

Yeah I just had seen the vid.. actually does not look that painful.. hehe. Now, if they can get the bike running on earths free energy. That would be something special!

jono035
14th August 2009, 12:26
Yeah I just had seen the vid.. actually does not look that painful.. hehe. Now, if they can get the bike running on earths free energy. That would be something special!

Meh, I'd be happy enough with it running off nuke plants but not so much at the moment, instead lets stick tonnes of wind turbines everywhere and let people deal with the horrible power-grid implications later...

Leyton
14th August 2009, 12:36
Meh, I'd be happy enough with it running off nuke plants but not so much at the moment, instead lets stick tonnes of wind turbines everywhere and let people deal with the horrible power-grid implications later...

No no no my son, "Earth Energy" is something the environmental hippies forget about when they started protesting against ugly poo wind farms.

http://montalk.net/science/115/earth-grid-research

T.I.E
14th August 2009, 12:48
Would ya wanna ride at night????? bugger that, i wouldnt even idicate. Opps never did lol.
But a great solar panel sitting on the garage roof charging it up over the week for a small saturday or sunday run would be a go for me.
Id be keen.

bogan
14th August 2009, 12:54
Interesting stuff, thanks for posting the numbers. Is the 5.3kW for 100km/hr a standard rule-of-thumb type value or has this been calculated for your specific application?

What are the motor and controller that you are using and roughly what are they worth? Is there a thread floating around with any of this info?

I'm doing my masters in electrical engineering on EV related stuff at the moment, but I've never really run the numbers on an electric bike before, makes a lot of sense and is a much easier target than a full EV.

Im designing my own motor controller, using an ETEK-R, they now have the ETEK-RT which is even better. The 5.3 was calculated with drag co-effs of a sportsbike, hayabusa i think it was + 1kw of rolling friction. Theres a discussion in the custom projects group on it, and ill chuck a thread up once shes going

Laava
14th August 2009, 13:02
This is kinda spooky, like someone edited out the howling exhaust noise. Good watch tho! Gonna order one in T.I.E?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/foRIB9h8T20&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/foRIB9h8T20&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qduhF3HQDcs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qduhF3HQDcs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bogan
14th August 2009, 13:05

the jozzbikes ducati sounds pretty cool i reckon, and handling wise, the center of mass can be lower, and all the mass grouped close together making it pretty nimble.

I reckon LED headlights and running lights are the way to go, less than a hundy watts all up.

sels1
14th August 2009, 13:19
I reckon LED headlights and running lights are the way to go, less than a hundy watts all up.
Yeah I was thinking that too. The current draw for LED indicators would be next to nothing, the tail light could be a bunch of LEDs flashing at different rates, and the same in front with white ones for daytime use. Just need something a bit shinier for seeing where you are going at night.

T.I.E
19th August 2009, 13:08
This is kinda spooky, like someone edited out the howling exhaust noise. Good watch tho! Gonna order one in T.I.E?

Nice... id be allright out here in the desert if i had a few solar panels on the bike. ill take two (dont wanna be greedy.)

jono035
19th August 2009, 15:04
the jozzbikes ducati sounds pretty cool i reckon, and handling wise, the center of mass can be lower, and all the mass grouped close together making it pretty nimble.

LED headlight is probably a waste. Quartz Halogens get a similar amount of light per watt than all but the most efficient (and expensive) LEDs and are a hell of a lot easier, no controller required or anything (you don't want to use a ballast resistor otherwise you'll use more power than a bulb by a long way).

For the indicators, LEDs are definitely the way to go.

Either way, it is going to be less than 100W all up, so barely a drop in the bucket...

R6_kid
19th August 2009, 15:55
They sound like the RC car I had when I was 14.

aff-man
19th August 2009, 16:28
Very interesting....

DiD a bit of a looksee when me anD a mate lookeD into electric gocarts.

Still not sure i'D sit on those batterys..... if the go bang..they"ll really go bang.

jono035
19th August 2009, 16:59
Very interesting....

Still not sure i'D sit on those batterys..... if the go bang..they"ll really go bang.

As opposed to having a tin can full of petrol sitting on top of a hot piece of machinery sitting a few cm away from your crotch?

bogan
19th August 2009, 20:57
Very interesting....

lifepo4 batteries used in the high power EV's are very different form the lithiums you find in laptops etc, in that they do not explode! Though i heard this from a guy selling the lifepo4's :shifty:

bogan
19th August 2009, 20:59
LED headlight is probably a waste. Quartz Halogens get a similar amount of light per watt than all but the most efficient (and expensive) LEDs and are a hell of a lot easier, no controller required or anything (you don't want to use a ballast resistor otherwise you'll use more power than a bulb by a long way).

For the indicators, LEDs are definitely the way to go.

Either way, it is going to be less than 100W all up, so barely a drop in the bucket...

Will have to look into quartz halogen by the sound of it. And no i wouldnt use a ballast resistor, just put a heap in series. I may stick some led running lights on mine for a bit of extra visibility.

jono035
20th August 2009, 06:43
lifepo4 batteries used in the high power EV's are very different form the lithiums you find in laptops etc, in that they do not explode! Though i heard this from a guy selling the lifepo4's :shifty:

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery#Safety) would appear to back you up on that...

"LiFePO4 is an intrinsically safer cathode material than LiCoO2 and manganese spinel."

jono035
20th August 2009, 07:01
Will have to look into quartz halogen by the sound of it. And no i wouldnt use a ballast resistor, just put a heap in series. I may stick some led running lights on mine for a bit of extra visibility.

You've got to have at least some amount of ballast resistor with LEDs. The more LEDs you have in series, the more sensitive they will be to any voltage variations.

For instance 10V worth of LEDs and a ballast at 12V will have 2V across the ballast. When this increases to 14V then the current through the LEDs will have doubled. At 16V then the current is tripled. I guess it depends on what you're going to be doing in terms of powering them. Are you going to have a buck converter to drop the battery voltage down to 12V or so? That would negate the problem.

Btw, I'm not sure wtf I was thinking when I said quartz halogen, I meant Xenon HID lamps... The kind with the blue tint to them in car headlights.

davereid
20th August 2009, 08:25
Electric cars and motorcycles are really old technology, being re-invented from time to time to score a clean-air research grant or fool an investor.

The only thing that has really improved since Mr. Edison made the first magnetic engines is the power source energy density.

Look at it this way...

My bike has a 20 kg fuel capacity, = 928 MJ of energy in the tank.
My conversion to zooms is pretty crap, but I still have over 300 MJ of zooms awaiting my request, as well as heat that is handy in cars in cold places.

Mr. Edisons best battery, lead acid gave him 2.8 MJ of storage for the same weight, but he could convert it to motion at very high efficiency, leaving him with 2.65 zooms in the tank, but no spare heat for the footwarmer.

Technology raced us ahead, almost 100% improvement in only 150 years with the 1999-2009 vintage NiMH battery of the same weight giving me 5 MJ of energy in the tank.

My best tested (but not mass produced) battery technology, Lithium ion nanowire, would give me 50.8 MJ of storage if I could make a 20kg one.

Of course, all the battery based systems are storage only.

I had to actually create the energy elsewhere to put in them, as well as use fuel to mine, transport, smelt, package and re-ship them to point of use.

Plus, depending on whos' report you read, assuming it were possible to convert the worlds vehicles to batteries, there may be insufficient lithium to make batteries for even 1/2 of the current generation of vehicles, leaving us somewhat short for the 2010 model year.

Electric cars and bikes are great, and may have a future role of some type. But even at their best they lag way way way behind liquid fuels.

bogan
20th August 2009, 10:16
You've got to have at least some amount of ballast resistor with LEDs. The more LEDs you have in series, the more sensitive they will be to any voltage variations.

For instance 10V worth of LEDs and a ballast at 12V will have 2V across the ballast. When this increases to 14V then the current through the LEDs will have doubled. At 16V then the current is tripled. I guess it depends on what you're going to be doing in terms of powering them. Are you going to have a buck converter to drop the battery voltage down to 12V or so? That would negate the problem.

Btw, I'm not sure wtf I was thinking when I said quartz halogen, I meant Xenon HID lamps... The kind with the blue tint to them in car headlights.

Im talking bout using them for an electric bike, so the voltage ripple is less than 1% (off a buck converter). For ICE bikes there really no point in using leds as theres so much power available anyway.

Ah yup, the halogen ones did sound a bit commonplace, though i thort the HID ones were a little bit iffy on the legality side of things.

bogan
20th August 2009, 10:26
Electric cars and motorcycles are really old technology, being re-invented from time to time to score a clean-air research grant or fool an investor.

The only thing that has really improved since Mr. Edison made the first magnetic engines is the power source energy density.

Look at it this way...

My bike has a 20 kg fuel capacity, = 928 MJ of energy in the tank.
My conversion to zooms is pretty crap, but I still have over 300 MJ of zooms awaiting my request, as well as heat that is handy in cars in cold places.

Mr. Edisons best battery, lead acid gave him 2.8 MJ of storage for the same weight, but he could convert it to motion at very high efficiency, leaving him with 2.65 zooms in the tank, but no spare heat for the footwarmer.

Technology raced us ahead, almost 100% improvement in only 150 years with the 1999-2009 vintage NiMH battery of the same weight giving me 5 MJ of energy in the tank.

My best tested (but not mass produced) battery technology, Lithium ion nanowire, would give me 50.8 MJ of storage if I could make a 20kg one.

Of course, all the battery based systems are storage only.

I had to actually create the energy elsewhere to put in them, as well as use fuel to mine, transport, smelt, package and re-ship them to point of use.

Plus, depending on whos' report you read, assuming it were possible to convert the worlds vehicles to batteries, there may be insufficient lithium to make batteries for even 1/2 of the current generation of vehicles, leaving us somewhat short for the 2010 model year.

Electric cars and bikes are great, and may have a future role of some type. But even at their best they lag way way way behind liquid fuels.

I had not heard of the lithium shortage before, bugger! Electrics do lag way behind liquid fuels, atm that is, battery technology is getting a lot better very quickly, and it doesnt matter how much power ICE bikes can get from petrol, when all the petrol runs out :crybaby: I figure if we try as many alternatives as possible now, we should stand a better chance as fuel starts to run out. And since battery electric is best suited for home conversion projects, thats where my interest is!

Badjelly
20th August 2009, 11:07
Assuming you need around 15hp to cruise at 100km/hr on a reasonably light bike...

Its based on a calculated 100kmhr power consumption of 5.3kw...

Yeah, I was going to say, 15 hp (11.2 kW) is way more than you need at cruise at 100 km/h. It's all aerodynamic drag at these speeds (on a level road, anyway) and the power requirement goes up as the cube of the speed.

My Scorpio has, what, 18 hp (13.4 kW) and will go 130 km/h. (Some say 140, but I don't believe them.) So at 100 km/h it will need 13.4 kW x (100/130)^3 = 6.1 kW. That depends primarily on frontal area and drag coefficient, not weight, so a 600 sporty will need less, until the rider pulls a wheelie.

When considering power use of electric vehicles, people tend to forget that most vehicles spend most of their time using a small fraction of maximum power.

jono035
20th August 2009, 12:36

The technology hasn't changed in a larger sense of motors, batteries, controllers have always been around, but I'm actually involved in some of the research being done into electric vehicle technologies and there is much more going on around me and we have come so far in so many different ways that it is quite disingenious to say otherwise.

Batteries: Sure, some of the same old chemistries are still around, but even those are being constantly improved by new electrode materials and manufacturing technologies. Large scale lithium based chemistries are now moving things from the realm of impossible when I started looking at this stuff 10 years ago to merely difficult now. Also it isn't about matching an ICE based vehicle to start with, it is about being 'good enough', which the vehicles available now/soon are for a lot of people.

Lithium shortage: Myth. (http://gas2.org/2008/10/13/lithium-counterpoint-no-shortage-for-electric-cars/) Lithium ion batteries have bugger all lithium in them anyway. For the older electrode types it was the cobolt that was the problem, and that isn't even used in the manganese spinel or iron phosphate electrodes any more. These problems also have a way of getting solved/mitigated as more people start using them and they actually BECOME a problem. No-one cares about it at the moment because the lithium supply is plentiful for the forseeable future.

You use 32% as an efficiency number for your engine, half that is a more realistic number for total average efficiency.

Sure, you have to generate the energy elsewhere, but using electric motors in a vehicle allows you to be completely independent of that, meaning nuclear (gasp!) or wind/solar or whatever can be used. If they perfect fusion tomorrow, it will make no difference to the vehicle. Also, it lets your regeneratively brake, which for a lot of applications is the golden bullet. I figured roughly that about half the energy that I use on my commute through the city (30km round trip) is lost through the brakes.

Yes, sure, they are way 'behind' liquid fuels according to your metric of range, but just check out the tesla roadster and you'll see that they've got plenty of power. The range capabilities aren't as good, but for the VAST majority of people it would make stuff all difference. There are also ways to mitigate this (generator trailers or on-road wireless charging) for instance. Like I said before, they don't have to be equal or better, just good enough. Sure, it may require some people to change the way they use their vehicles until the technologies really start to 'catch up', but the other advantages (cheapness to buy once the economies of scale catch up and cheapness to run NOW, lack of maintenance) already outweight the supposed disadvantages for some people.

Sorry if this makes no sense, it's a bit of a brain dump...

madbikeboy
20th August 2009, 13:27
Interesting.

Also, something to consider - power grids have an issue - power storage. So, in the middle of the night, with lots of geothermal energy being produced, and the odd bit of hydro - there is essentially excess capacity. At 7 am and 6 pm, there are massive spikes in usage for residential (conversely, businesses use a fair bit of energy during the day).

So, if I can plug my elecky bike in to charge between midnight and 5am, it's actually reducing waste (since we can't effectively store it anyhow, right?).

jono035
20th August 2009, 19:49
Interesting.

Also, something to consider - power grids have an issue - power storage. So, in the middle of the night, with lots of geothermal energy being produced, and the odd bit of hydro - there is essentially excess capacity. At 7 am and 6 pm, there are massive spikes in usage for residential (conversely, businesses use a fair bit of energy during the day).

So, if I can plug my elecky bike in to charge between midnight and 5am, it's actually reducing waste (since we can't effectively store it anyhow, right?).

Yep. And with some of the research that the Uni is doing on smart-grid applications, the extra load from vehicle charging can actually be used to enhance grid stability in situations where lots of non-constant generation is used, such as wind and, to a certain extent, solar.

Basically if the power coming from a set of wind turbines drops by 50MW, then the grid can tell 50MW of chargers to stop charging until it comes back, then can bring them back up straight away if it comes back. If not then it could either cycle between who is charging at what time, or request that all chargers lower their load by a little bit. The research showed that this was surprisingly feasible, with response times of around 10 seconds or so required.

davereid
21st August 2009, 09:05
The technology hasn't changed in a larger sense of motors, batteries, controllers have always been around, but I'm actually involved in some of the research being done into electric vehicle technologies and there is much more going on around me and we have come so far in so many different ways that it is quite disingenious to say otherwise.

Batteries: Sure, some of the same old chemistries are still around, but even those are being constantly improved by new electrode materials and manufacturing technologies. Large scale lithium based chemistries are now moving things from the realm of impossible when I started looking at this stuff 10 years ago to merely difficult now. Also it isn't about matching an ICE based vehicle to start with, it is about being 'good enough', which the vehicles available now/soon are for a lot of people.

Lithium shortage: Myth. (http://gas2.org/2008/10/13/lithium-counterpoint-no-shortage-for-electric-cars/) Lithium ion batteries have bugger all lithium in them anyway. For the older electrode types it was the cobolt that was the problem, and that isn't even used in the manganese spinel or iron phosphate electrodes any more. These problems also have a way of getting solved/mitigated as more people start using them and they actually BECOME a problem. No-one cares about it at the moment because the lithium supply is plentiful for the forseeable future.

You use 32% as an efficiency number for your engine, half that is a more realistic number for total average efficiency.

Sure, you have to generate the energy elsewhere, but using electric motors in a vehicle allows you to be completely independent of that, meaning nuclear (gasp!) or wind/solar or whatever can be used. If they perfect fusion tomorrow, it will make no difference to the vehicle. Also, it lets your regeneratively brake, which for a lot of applications is the golden bullet. I figured roughly that about half the energy that I use on my commute through the city (30km round trip) is lost through the brakes.

Yes, sure, they are way 'behind' liquid fuels according to your metric of range, but just check out the tesla roadster and you'll see that they've got plenty of power. The range capabilities aren't as good, but for the VAST majority of people it would make stuff all difference. There are also ways to mitigate this (generator trailers or on-road wireless charging) for instance. Like I said before, they don't have to be equal or better, just good enough. Sure, it may require some people to change the way they use their vehicles until the technologies really start to 'catch up', but the other advantages (cheapness to buy once the economies of scale catch up and cheapness to run NOW, lack of maintenance) already outweight the supposed disadvantages for some people.

Sorry if this makes no sense, it's a bit of a brain dump...

Yeah, for sure, as I commented there is a place for electric vehicles, just like there is a place for the push bike or the bus.

I just think that its wasted effort, its a blind alley being followed by some ver dedicated and intelligent people, but a blind alley nonetheless.

My figure for efficiency is actually low, not high. ICE engines can now achieve 50% efficiency. While my car may only reach 30% thermal efficiency in creating rotary motion, the heat is a useful feature, not just waste, and its not fair to compare it without allowing for the usefullness of the heat. Additionally, Peltier effect generators in the exhaust system will be a fact of life soon, generating the power for the vehicles electrics from exhaust heat.

I commented that there is, a shortage of lithium - and as I said it depends on what report you read.

The article you linked to makes the comment "the upper limit on most mineral resources is, for all practical purposes, unbounded".

That of course is crap, if it were so we never face an oil or coal shortage.

According to the USGS, world lithium resources stand at 13-14 million tons. We may discover recoverable resources of three times that. Maybe, giving us say 40 million tons.

How much do we need for a vehicle ? Lets assume that the worst tolerable car would carry the equivalent of 1 gallon, or say 5kg of petrol.

Thats about 230 MJ of energy, say 77 recoverable if I just let the heat go to waste. (Which I don't actually.) So I have, more or less 21.4 kw/hrs in my 1 gallon tank.

Your article says I need 1.4 kg of lithium to store 1 kw/hr.

My lithium battery will need to have 30kg of lithium to store the same energy.
So, 1 tonne of lithium will make batteries for 33 cars.

The USGS says known world reserves of lithium are 14 million tons.

So known world reserves will make batteries for 462 million cars - about half the number we currently have.

Of course, if we wanted those vehicles to have comparable performance to modern liquid fuels then we would have to carry 10x the fuel, or even more if we lived in a cold climate and wanted a heater.

At best we could make 46 million cars. About 7 months production.

davereid
21st August 2009, 09:11
Basically if the power coming from a set of wind turbines drops by 50MW, then the grid can tell 50MW of chargers to stop charging until it comes back, then can bring them back up straight away if it comes back. If not then it could either cycle between who is charging at what time, or request that all chargers lower their load by a little bit. The research showed that this was surprisingly feasible, with response times of around 10 seconds or so required.

We did this years ago, right here in good old N.Z. but not for the same reason. We had a system called FRED, Fast Reacting Emergency Dump.

FRED watched system stability, particularly frequency. If it got too low, FRED would switch off big loads, all over the country to help stabilise frequency. FRED generally picked on loads that don't mind being turned off, like coolstores etc that have lots of thermal lag.

For all I know FRED may still be running.

bogan
21st August 2009, 09:47
Yeah, for sure, as I commented there is a place for electric vehicles, just like there is a place for the push bike or the bus.

I just think that its wasted effort, its a blind alley being followed by some ver dedicated and intelligent people, but a blind alley nonetheless.

My figure for efficiency is actually low, not high. ICE engines can now achieve 50% efficiency. While my car may only reach 30% thermal efficiency in creating rotary motion, the heat is a useful feature, not just waste, and its not fair to compare it without allowing for the usefullness of the heat. Additionally, Peltier effect generators in the exhaust system will be a fact of life soon, generating the power for the vehicles electrics from exhaust heat.

Internal combustion engines have had a massive head start on electric vehicles, with the huge amount of battery research being done I would be surprised if battery capacity doesn't continue to increase. Overall car efficiency is significantly less than 30%, the peak is maybe up there for some models but cars dont run at optimum conditions, and the heat isn't a useful feature yet, for half the year a very small percentage is used to heat the occupants but the majority of energy is wasted, and electrics can have heaters too ya know.

jono035
21st August 2009, 20:00
We did this years ago, right here in good old N.Z. but not for the same reason. We had a system called FRED, Fast Reacting Emergency Dump.

FRED watched system stability, particularly frequency. If it got too low, FRED would switch off big loads, all over the country to help stabilise frequency. FRED generally picked on loads that don't mind being turned off, like coolstores etc that have lots of thermal lag.

For all I know FRED may still be running.

Yeah, but this is on a generic-load consumer level scale.

And as for the lithium - demand has a healthy habit of providing options. As with everything (oil reserves and such) as they start to run out, people start looking for more.

MarkH
24th August 2009, 00:33

I'd say that LiFePO4 cells would be safer than a tank full of petrol. It is the LiCo cells that have a tendency to 'vent with flame' if anything goes wrong.

Matt Bleck
18th September 2009, 13:31
Mission Motors sets 150mph electric motorcycle land speed record (http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/09/mission-motors-sets-150mph-ele.html#more)

MarkH
18th September 2009, 13:50
Mission Motors sets 150mph electric motorcycle land speed record (http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/09/mission-motors-sets-150mph-ele.html#more)

Well done to them!

And electric bikes will only get better. As the price comes down & the battery performance goes up they will become a more viable alternative to fuel burning bikes. For touring we'll have to wait for sub-10min charging times, which will probably be achieved if super capacitors live up to their hype.

Ducky848
18th September 2009, 18:16
Charging rates are getting there. 3rd gen lipos are upto 5c charge rates or 15min.