PDA

View Full Version : ZXR Headlight Wiring

wildcat_lgf
4th April 2005, 08:24
Just a dumb question that hopefully someone can help me with...

I've just pulled apart my '91 ZXR250C to paint the frame, wheels etc and have put it back together...What I can't remember is when does the headlight come on? Should it come on when you turn the ignition on or is there a relay that only turns it once the bike is running? I can't run it as yet because the tank and fuel switch etc are currently at the shop getting painted.

The last thing I want is to get it all back together and find that the wiring is wrong. I've checked it against the wiring diagram and it seems right. I have continuity through the wires up to the junction box so that seems right too.

The headlights don't currently come on when the ignition is on, the battery is a little flat at only 11.5V but if its suppose to be on, I should at least get a dim glow, currently nothing happens.

Hope someone can help...

PS I also need 2x front indicators for the ZXR, if anyone has some they want to part with...plus I need the 2x bolts that attach the kickstand switch to the bike, I have the switch, just need the bolts. Thanks

Jonty
4th April 2005, 08:37
On my ZXR250A the headlights come on with the ignition (provided the light switch is on) without the engine running. I would expect that to be the same on the C. I would suggest charging the battery and use a power finder to locate the problem (check the 10A and 30A main fuse).

John
4th April 2005, 10:54
Nah mate, its ok it only will come on with the engine running - seems that its due to the 'Advanced electronics System' that the C has over the A, or such I know its annoying when your in idle because they dull down, abit of a rev brings them up to light again, so lame LOL. Reminds me of the scooter days O_o

But while your at it throw some 100w in there, the 35w are shit at night trust me :(

And shove us some pics of your bike painted, did you get the frame and wheels bead blasted?

wildcat_lgf
4th April 2005, 11:10
Nah mate, its ok it only will come on with the engine running - seems that its due to the 'Advanced electronics System' that the C has over the A, or such I know its annoying when your in idle because they dull down, abit of a rev brings them up to light again, so lame LOL. Reminds me of the scooter days O_o

But while your at it throw some 100w in there, the 35w are shit at night trust me :(

And shove us some pics of your bike painted, did you get the frame and wheels bead blasted?

Good point, might have to up the Wattage on the bulbs, best do it now, cause I won't be bothered later. I got the frame and wheels painted with a 2K Black epoxy, didn't get blasted. The wheels were sanded down (they were only 2K originally anyway I think) and came up nice, frame looks quite good too, not quite as nice as I'd hoped but the painter had to sand back my mistakes (I tried painting it myself to start with :killingme ) and so it would have been really good without my crap painting to start with! Cost me $200, the stripping of the frame and wheels would have involved replacing all the bearings again which was more expense than I wanted plus about $75 extra to strip...figured it wasn't worth it. I'll get some photos up hopefully soon.

John
4th April 2005, 11:16
Good point, might have to up the Wattage on the bulbs, best do it now, cause I won't be bothered later. I got the frame and wheels painted with a 2K Black epoxy, didn't get blasted. The wheels were sanded down (they were only 2K originally anyway I think) and came up nice, frame looks quite good too, not quite as nice as I'd hoped but the painter had to sand back my mistakes (I tried painting it myself to start with :killingme ) and so it would have been really good without my crap painting to start with! Cost me $200, the stripping of the frame and wheels would have involved replacing all the bearings again which was more expense than I wanted plus about $75 extra to strip...figured it wasn't worth it. I'll get some photos up hopefully soon.
Sweet, I'm trying to find someone to bead blast my wheels and frame in whangarei - proving to be a mission - for a full paint job (taking dings out and strip down) they want 1200+, and they said that even if I sand it they will resand it the pricks.

SO yea will be interesting if I ever decide to pay that much.

Be great to see some pictures, also on the bulbs head to repco and try find some car ones, cut the tab on the bulb so it fits - will save you a considerable amount of money - as the proper ones might be your fuel money for a month.

Good luck, cant wait to see some pictures :D

wildcat_lgf
4th April 2005, 11:20
Sweet, I'm trying to find someone to bead blast my wheels and frame in whangarei - proving to be a mission - for a full paint job (taking dings out and strip down) they want 1200+, and they said that even if I sand it they will resand it the pricks.

SO yea will be interesting if I ever decide to pay that much.

Be great to see some pictures, also on the bulbs head to repco and try find some car ones, cut the tab on the bulb so it fits - will save you a considerable amount of money - as the proper ones might be your fuel money for a month.

Good luck, cant wait to see some pictures :D

Yeah it aint cheap...I got mine done by Motocolour and looks quite good, not a perfect finish, but very nice and decals will cover the imperfections. I also got a quote from a car painter who said he'd do it for $600 down here in AKL. He came recommended from one of the workers at ColourWorks (paint supplier) but don't know if that means anything? Might be worth sending your stuff down, or dropping it off when your passing through next time?

Thanks for the heads up on the bulbs :)

N4CR
4th April 2005, 16:11
On my 91 CZXR 250 it (lights) come on when I turn the ignition to on and I'm also keen for some 100 watters in there too :)

John
4th April 2005, 16:13
On my 91 CZXR 250 it (lights) come on when I turn the ignition to on and I'm also keen for some 100 watters in there too :)
Thats because your bike is half ZXR a half ZXR c

You fagsox, your bike is slow and dead and smellllllllllllllllllllllllzzzzzz 0mgz

N4CR
4th April 2005, 16:16
DIE NOOOOB!!!!!!!!

'thread spirals out of control'