PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge - Gisborne - Cambridge

ktulu
4th April 2005, 10:10
Hi Guys, thought I would tell my story in here, went for a pretty big ride (by my standards anyways) on the weekend....

I sold my bike on trademe to a guy in gisborne and said I would deliver it for 200$ so on friday night after work, loaded it on the back of my ute at two smokers place and headed for cambridge.

Rolled it off in the morning and got ready to start on the journey with my father in law on his CB1300 and me on the RGV. Left cambridge just before 9. Stopped in rotorua, the continued through to opotiki around the rotorua lakes, was some pretty cool scenery here, got in to a bit of a gorge and it was soaking wet on the roads so I took it fairly easy but lost the CB behind me and after a minute or so of waiting got saw the terrified father in law roll along saying that the wet stuff gave him the shits as he is up to 8000kms on his first tyre and I think its getting a bit worn.

Stopped in opoitiki for gas the headed through the gorge to gisborne, FUCK THIS GORGE IS AWESOME!! it was absolutely full of 45kph and 55kph corners and had the awesome views of the river and stuff, this is where the RGV really came into its own (even though I was off the bike every 50kms for the whole trip needing to walk around a bit to get feeling back in my legs and ass) but I was absolutely caning the CB through here even though he would reel me in on the straight bits.

Arrived in gisborne around 2pm, pretty cool coming down out of the gorge and having all of those vinyards around. Dropped the bike off, with cash in hand I jumped on the back of the CB and I realised why my father in law had been doing so well and not feeling any pain, the seat was like a fucken lazy boy. Fuelled up at the shell and bumped in to a slightly pommy chap riding an anniversary VFR, said he used to work at red barons or something, said they had been caning it through the gorge but one of the guys he was riding with on a ZZR had to make a donation the government when they got closer to gisborne.

On the way home we headed through opotiki where we saw a wedding on the beach and had some young maori guys try to run us off the road in their excitement of waving to us but we made it through to gisbore then went up the coast to tauranga then back through to cambridge.

Arrived at about 730pm, fell on the ground and lay there for a while, I might just be a soft cunt but I had hardly ridden for two months and we did 730kms in one day, half of that on that great touring bike the RGV.

All in all it was a great day....

Kms: 731
Donations: $0
Stops to ease pain of touring on rgv: about 10
Scary slides: 2 (in the wet gorge, not fun)

Smiles: thousands, it was a great day, love bikes, even some harley riders waved, I'm going to miss having a bike for a few months but all going to plan I am going to be on a VTR1000 by spring so hopefully some more big rides next summer.

MSTRS
4th April 2005, 10:23
A very profitable trip in all ways. You want to try the Waioeka when it's 40oC in the shade - gives new meaning to the name "River Road"

Gixxer 4 ever
4th April 2005, 11:24
A cool trip on some of the best roads in the country. :2thumbsup We have done most of that country and it rocks. You did it hard on the pain front. You need more riding to thicken the skin. Lucky it was not 40 deg as MSTRS said. It is not fun when the road is running down the hill ahead of you but on a 25 deg dry day it is the best in the country. Only thing you have to watch are rocks falling on to the road but other than that go for it. :ride: :niceone:

Gixxer 4 ever
4th April 2005, 11:29
got in to a bit of a gorge and it was soaking wet on the roads so I took it fairly easy but lost .
Did it lead you onto an old Railway bridge?

Waylander
4th April 2005, 12:52
Glad to see ya had fun mate. You did the ride I plan on doing to celibrate getting my bike runnin again. :2thumbsup

vifferman
4th April 2005, 12:58
. Fuelled up at the shell and bumped in to a slightly pommy chap riding an anniversary VFR, said he used to work at red barons .
Hey - I know him! His name's Peter, and he has (or used to have) two VFRs - the Anniversary Edition (actually a UK "Special Anniversary Edition", with all kinds of Harris goodies on it), and a 1989-ish VFR750.

ktulu
4th April 2005, 13:00
Did it lead you onto an old Railway bridge?

Oh that fucken railway bridge. Came off the other end of it on the gas trying to get back with the CB after I had pulled over, find that I have to make quite a sharp turn and cross railway lines which were a little bit damp. Fucks sake, slid, gave me the shits, tried to pass a truck, there was a car stopped in the other lane. Happened pretty quick but wasn't fun.

Shit I loved those roads through there actually, not a whole lot of boring straights but we kept a pretty good pace through the straights, around 130-140 as there were no collection cars our fundraising. Or for that matter, schools, built up areas, blindspots, just clear roads

scroter
4th April 2005, 13:04
got in to a bit of a gorge and it was soaking wet on the roads so I took it fairly easy but lost the CB behind me and after a minute or so of waiting got saw the terrified father in law roll along saying that the wet stuff gave him the shits as he is up to 8000kms on his first tyre and I think its getting a bit worn.

this road goes through waimana (SH2). I never go this road it is crap in the dry. All the trucks have to use it so its rooted and 10 times worse in the rain. alternative route through whakatane/ohope, absobloodylootly awsome road from ohope down to SH2 and to top it off its actually shorter than SH2.

Hitcher
4th April 2005, 13:04
The Waioeka Gorge ain't much fun at 1:00am in a freezing hurricane. Must do it again sometime. In daylight. When it's nice and fine.

TonyB
4th April 2005, 13:23
Hey - I know him! His name's Peter, and he has (or used to have) two VFRs - the Anniversary Edition (actually a UK "Special Anniversary Edition", with all kinds of Harris goodies on it), and a 1989-ish VFR750.
Hey, I know him too- this makes him almost famous, I'll have to let him know. He sold me my FZR- something for which my wife may never forgive him :2thumbsup . I still keep in touch with him, and he pops around to have a cider when he's in Chch.

trevf
4th April 2005, 16:33
yeah that gorge is awsome in the dry but absolute shit in the middle of the night in the pissing rain as was the case on the rusty nuts ride

Zapf
4th April 2005, 17:36
what road did you take from rotavagus to gisborne.

LB
5th April 2005, 06:13
Oh that fucken railway bridge. Came off the other end of it on the gas trying to get back with the CB after I had pulled over, find that I have to make quite a sharp turn and cross railway lines which were a little bit damp. Fucks sake, slid, gave me the shits, tried to pass a truck, there was a car stopped in the other lane. Happened pretty quick but wasn't fun.

The very same bridge (near Taneatua) where matthewt and bugsplat came a cropper on the Southern Cross a couple of years ago.

Gixxer 4 ever
5th April 2005, 07:34
The very same bridge (near Taneatua) where matthewt and bugsplat came a cropper on the Southern Cross a couple of years ago.
.See, we don't gather enough money from fuel to have road bridges. I couldn't believe it when we turned off and saw it. The gap between the rail line and the road is big enough to give you some problems.

ktulu
5th April 2005, 08:54
what road did you take from rotavagus to gisborne.

I'm not too sure about exact areas because I am not particularly familiar with that area but we went through rotorua and took the turn off to whakatane just after the airport and followed that through but turned again before we hit whakatane township