PDA

View Full Version : Budget racing safety measures

Naki Rat
17th August 2009, 09:22
A few more photos that I've scanned off of old neg's lately with some interesting lack of spectator safety measures from a race meet in the late '70s. Obviously the crowds had a little more common sense and respect for competitors than they do today as I don't remember any real problems or casualties.

I remember the sidecars getting pretty loose, but that hasn't changed :eek:

Where, when, who ?

TOTO
17th August 2009, 13:01
Where were those taken ?

Headbanger
17th August 2009, 14:33
I see Wanganui

Naki Rat
17th August 2009, 15:57
I see Wanganui

Well done that man :first: Cemetry Circuit Boxing Day 1978 by my reckoning.

Macontour
17th August 2009, 16:34
Some classic bikes in those pics!! They probably rode them during the week, took the lights off, put a number on and raced. Great leathers and helmets too.....aaaaah the good old days!

Kickaha
17th August 2009, 17:46
A few more photos that I've scanned off of old neg's lately with some interesting lack of spectator safety measures from a race meet in the late '70s. Obviously the crowds had a little more common sense and respect for competitors than they do today as I don't remember any real problems or casualties.

In the early Nineties the same lack of spectator safety measures was evident at the New Brighton street races

The odd fuckwit would wander across the track while the races were on

How long has Wanganui been fenced for?

eelracing
18th August 2009, 02:27
How long has Wanganui been fenced for?

Back in those days (free entry to)I was just a kid and from memory i think the outside of most corners were only chickenwired at best.I remember even sitting on the inside curb,feet in the gutter and watching Croz,Stu Avant and co,probably even a young Robert Holden come roaring around the first corner.
But i think by the early to mid 80's they started to push the spectators back more and more.

But great to see the old photo's

Naki Rat
18th August 2009, 08:14
Probably 1980 Cemetry Circuit. #26 on the Callender Motorcycles Suzuki is the late John Marsh, a whiz at exhaust design (Piper chambers?)

Mikkel
18th August 2009, 08:40
I suspect the following would have been said at the race briefing:

If you crash - try and aim for a hay bale.

Kickaha
18th August 2009, 17:42
Probably 1980 Cemetry Circuit.

I'd say probably 83ish going by what looks like a 16 inch wheel in the Katana

Naki Rat
18th August 2009, 20:00
I'd say probably 83ish going by what looks like a 16 inch wheel in the Katana

You got that right and while I was checking got a few names. 2nd from left is Hiscock, next two feature Neil Looney then John Marsh.

Katman
18th August 2009, 20:39
You got that right and while I was checking got a few names. 2nd from left is Hiscock, next two feature Neil Looney then John Marsh.

The first photo in post #8 is Pat Hennan. The last one is Glen Williams.

Maha
18th August 2009, 20:44

I remember the sidecars getting pretty loose, but that hasn't changed :eek:

Where, when, who ?

Number 40 (pic 5 post 1) with 2ZM in the Leathers? Dave Hiscock.
He was the first resident kiwi to be granted a non-numeral racing number.
2ZM was a Radio sponsor.

Maha
18th August 2009, 20:47
Probably 1980 Cemetry Circuit. #26 on the Callender Motorcycles Suzuki is the late John Marsh, a whiz at exhaust design (Piper chambers?)

Hiscock again (H)
You can just make out the last few letters on his back, and Wellington MC on the sleeves is give away.

Naki Rat
18th August 2009, 20:54
The first photo in post #8 is Pat Hennan. The last one is Glen Williams.

And Stu Avant being tailed by Neil in photo #3.

Naki Rat
18th August 2009, 21:04
A few more oldies from a local New Plymouth event :shifty:

Boob Johnson
18th August 2009, 23:34
Great old shots NR :niceone:

Where in New Plymouth was that? Looks pretty urban!

Naki Rat
19th August 2009, 08:26
New Years Day 1978 Frankley Road 'drags'
From memory #3 & 4 are Kelvin Bishop on a stripped down Z900 or 1000, #5 Mark MacKellow on an H2 (?)