PDA

View Full Version : Givi top box for DR650 with custom mounts

Monstaman
18th August 2009, 08:53
I like the Givi system, I have had a 35L traffic box since 2001 which I have transplanted to each bike as I have changed over the years.

I wondered as to how good for adventure riding but a lot seem to have them, anyway I bought a 45 L box so when wife and I go away we can take the tent with ease as previously it never quite worked very well.

So I bought the second hand box with the newer resin lightweight baseplate, Murphey came to play as well and no matter where I wanted to put the support bracket on the indicators, the hand lift etc were in the way.

Also wanting to set it up for a bit of two up which meant putting it w a y back on the bike which was not ideal for when I am by myself which will be most of the time.

So I have fabricated my own mounts, now I can bring the baseplate and top box right up to the seat to keep better weight distribution and when wifey comes along we can slide it back 90mm to give her some room as well.

Not a biggy but I thought I would my idea and work, probably been done a dozen times before but I did a search but couldn't find anything like this.

Monstaman
18th August 2009, 08:54
Couple with different boxes.

Taz
18th August 2009, 11:25
Nice job. Must be nice having a subframe you can bolt things to :)

Monstaman
18th August 2009, 13:30
Cheers Anthrax, the Tardis is pretty good tho, was easy enough to fit a rack to that cos the subframe goes right out.

Now I just gotta get out and road / trail test it, can't do Skippers road as it is closed for 6 weeks while they fix it back up again.

Next part of that project will be removable pannier holder frames, always something to do :Punk:

Taz
18th August 2009, 15:43
Here's what I knocked up one arvo for the KTM
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv282/advkiwi/P1020832.jpg

Monstaman
18th August 2009, 19:17
Good shit, there still seems to be a very limited range unless you wonna spend some HUGE coin eh, gotta love the kiwi way.

Taz
18th August 2009, 22:02
A similar rack from the USA was going to cost NZD$400. Mine cost an afternoon and $25 bucks including paint. Tested it on the mmmmm ride and it survived. Mainly used to carry a 4L fuel can.
Andy.

Monstaman
18th August 2009, 22:13
Mate that looks professional, I feel like deleting my pics now as it looks shabby next to yours!! :crybaby:

Main thing is it is functional, I am not out to win any beauty contests with this and it works perfectly for either the 35 L box, the 45 L box or simply strapping something to it.

Love making my own stuff eh.

Taz
19th August 2009, 12:53
Just don't look at mine too closely........ My welding skills with my mig are very below average. But I needed a way to carry gas on the mmmmm ride and this was it.