PDA

View Full Version : Race report from taupo 3rd april

k14
4th April 2005, 21:03
Yeah I know you will probably be sick and tired of reading reports of yesterdays meeting by now but I'll put mine up anyway :2thumbsup

Well the day dawned clear and with a bit of a bite in the air, contrary to the weather forecast of rain, and we set off to the racetrack just before 8. Upon arrival at the race track the loud speaker rung out calling all riders to the sweeper. Upon arriving at the sweeper I found a massive trail of oil from a BMW that spat the dummy during the driver training day on saturday. So everyone grabbed a broom and started sweeping. Next I went to sign in and then got my bike scrutineered, everything was fine and I was ready to race.

The first practice session soon arrived and I was ready to go. Having not ever been out on the circuit before and previously only having 6 or 7 laps at ruapuna on my bike I was just looking to get to know the bike and the circuit and not really caring about my times. The big problem was the sweeper, it is hard enough normally and with the oil slick all around the inside line it was alot harder to work it out. Anyway I just putted around slowly getting to grips with the track and managed a best time of 54, pretty slow but a good start.

Towards the end of the session I noticed my engine temp getting up towards 70 degrees and I was a bit worried about this. After talking to some of the other guys running 125's there I was told to remove the front guard and also check to make sure there is no air trapped in the radiator. I managed to do all this and just get my bike back together after about 2 mins of the second practice session. I got out for about 4 or 5 laps, continuing to get to know the circuit better. The engine temp had stabilised down to around 65 degrees, which is alot better although still on the hot side for a 125, but I was happy with that.

Well that was the end of practice. I still felt fairly unsure of the circuit, but couldn't do anything about it cause the first race was just 30 mins or so away. After watching motoracer carve up the F1/F2 race and a few more races it was my turn.

I headed out for the warm up lap and took my position on the back row of the grid, not wanting to get in the way of anyone else out there. After a short wait the flag was dropped and the race was underway. I still haven't mastered launching the 125 and didn't get the greatest start in the world, none the less I was away. I can't really remember the race very much but I think I passed a few and got passed by a few. I managed to stick on the tail of an RZ350 for the last 2 or 3 laps but couldn't quite work out a way to pass him. After the 6 laps were over I ended up 15th out of 21. I was happy with that and my lap times had come down to a best of 50 seconds. Plenty of room for improvement in the next 2 races.

Before I knew it the second race was upon me. Again I took my place at the back of the grid and the flag was dropped. I got a better start and managed to go around 2 or 3 guys at the first corner. Then another at the hairpin, although I had to take evasive action when a guy on an SV650 took a somewhat peculair line out of it. I picked him off at the right hander out of the hair pin and then continued to hold that position for the rest of the lap. I made a bit of a mistake (missed a gear) and let a green zxr pass me coming into the hairpin. Another guy on a 125 managed to pass me aswell. I was pretty guttered that this happened and was determined to make a menz. I kept on the back of the other 125 for the rest of the race but couldn't pass him due to being very cautious at the sweeper because of the oil still all over the track. I kept on his arse but couldn't get past and when the checkered flag came out I had again finished 15th. I managed to knock off another second off my best time and had got it down to 48.9, I was really happy with this time but still thought I could get it down another second or so. I was also determined to get ahead of the 125 that beat me by 1 place and improve my overall placing.

The final race of the day arrived, and it had been extended to 8 laps due to them proceeding through the program fairly quickly. As in the previous races I lined up at the back of the grid and had a good start. Passing 5 or 6 people in the first 2 corners. Setting a good pace in the first 2 laps. Then again I stuffed up the gear changes coming into the hairpin and the green zxr passed me. Not to worry as I knew I could get him later in the race. I tried to pass him coming into the sweeper but made the wrong decision of trying to go round the outside, letting a SV650 pass me. Learning from this I decided to follow it for a lap and see where I could possibly get past him. At the hairpin we both managed to pass the zxr when he ran wide and now it was just me and the sv for the remaining 4 laps. Every corner I would get even with him and then as soon as he put the power down he would take about 3 or bike lengths on me. I saw the white flag come out signalling the last lap and I thought to myself, I'm taking this guy or crashing. So after failing to pass him at the I had one opportunity left to take him, that was at the sweeper. The only chance I had was to ride up the inside of him and that meant riding over the concrete dustand oil. So the sweeper came and i outbraked him going into it. Side by side going through it I put the power down and got a big slide on the front wheel which created a bit of a head shake. I kept the throttle pinned and put my head down for the final 100m or so dash to the line. I didn't see him again and had accomplished the great last corner pass. This left me 11th for the race, and I also managed to get my best time down to high 47's. I was stoked.

That was the end of the days racing. I had an awesome day and managed to accomplish my goals of not coming last in a race and getting a lap time under 50s. I managed to also finish 2nd in the 125GP class (although there were only 3 people in it though, lol).

It was great to meet and race against some other kbers, Motoracer, Curious George, That Guy, Frosty, JustSomeGuy, AJTurbo and probably some others that I forgot. So untill next time cheers guys.

Photos to come

sAsLEX
4th April 2005, 21:09
Good write up and a great day!!

hurry up with those marvellous photos lol
Also host that vid of you at the hairpin!!

I also got a couple of you MR going round the hair pin, and some of that dude on #50 for k14 to look at his lines!!!

k14
4th April 2005, 21:14
Photos, here.
1.) Frosty
2.) Motoracer coming into pits
3.) Me :banana:
4.) Motoracer showing how its done
5.) Frosty leading someone (not me, probably about to lap me)
6.) Me again showing the incorrect line :wacko:

k14
4th April 2005, 21:18
1.) Me again
2.) and again (sorry for the slighty "me" orientated pics)
3.) Me behind the sv that i passed on the last corner
4.) me after being passed by the zxr
5.) me after i passed the zxr back
6.) jay dibben showing the real way to ride a 125

Here are some vids that saslex took aswell (thats why they suck so bad):
Vid 1 (http://kp14.orcon.net.nz/vid1.mov)
Vid 2 (http://kp14.orcon.net.nz/vid2.mov)

sAsLEX
4th April 2005, 22:10
Here are some vids that saslex took aswell (thats why they suck so bad):

You ungrateful sod!!!!

Was having to time you at the same time!! thats my excuse and i am sticking to it!

FROSTY
4th April 2005, 22:23
hey It was fantastic to meet ya dude.
I'm sorry I diddn't show ya round the track. looks like ya diddnt need my help though. I'n that last race I watched ya lines for awhile (all i bloody could do dagnamb it) and ya looked pretty smooth.
Fantastic first effort young fella

Motoracer
4th April 2005, 22:33
Hey man, that was good to read cause since I had parked on the outer field, I didn't get to come out to watch you race. You had an awesome first time there and a bloody good progress through out the day.

Reading about you taking the SV on the final corner of the final race was the icing on the cake. I'am sure you'll be one of the once to watch out for in the future. Top effort! :Punk:

Two Smoker
5th April 2005, 07:24
Awesome stuff mate!!! I always seem to miss the best race days :( Cant wait to see this bike in the flesh and blatting around the track!!!

babyB
5th April 2005, 22:52
never tire of readin reports k14. especaly when i couldnt be there myself.
good on ya

Kwaka-Kid
5th April 2005, 23:04
Well done dude!!!

Really well done.