PDA

View Full Version : Got some wheels for the DR650

Monstaman
19th August 2009, 21:49
... for a bit of track fun.

Bought the DR650 a coupla months ago for adventure biking and a bit of track, I really had a great hoon at Teratonga on my Hypermotard but decided rather than grind that to pieces I would do it on something a little cheaper just in case the unthinkable happens.

So I bought some GSX 250 rims, with tyres and discs, coupla spacers, will still need to do a bit of machining and probably replace the bearings then good to go.

Will never be up there with the top but for me it is about the grin factor and having a thrash on the track without worrying too much.

Will only be a few weeks before I get it all set up then game on!.

cold comfort
20th August 2009, 06:46

So I bought some GSX 250 rims, with tyres and discs, coupla spacers, will still need to do a bit of machining and probably replace the bearings then good to go.

I see you're following Gazburs example. Where did you score the rims and are more obtainable, if you don't mind me asking. Tried places like Jap wreckers but have struck out so far

scorry
20th August 2009, 07:38

6th of september too soon??

round 2 of the southland motard challenge

Gaz should be over the swine flu hopefully, so he should be there

Monstaman
20th August 2009, 08:25
I see you're following Gazburs example. Where did you score the rims and are more obtainable, if you don't mind me asking. Tried places like Jap wreckers but have struck out so far

Yeah was talking with Gaz yesterday and yeap he pointed me in the right direction. Dude I bought them from had the one set only, he had a WR450 for sale on Tardme with these wheels which he said he might sell sep.

I emailed the pics to Gaz and turns out they are exactly the same as his, I paid 4 hundy for the set which included rims, tyres, front disc, two rear discs, cush drive, spacers and sprocket and bearings.

I have to import them cos they are overseas in Auckaloafa but that shouldn't be a biggy.

I seriously doubt the spacers etc will fit as Murphy usually isn't kind to me. :laugh: but hey I have a starting point now which is well cool.

6th of september too soon??

round 2 of the southland motard challenge

Gaz should be over the swine flu hopefully, so he should be there

Sept 6th ... maybe a bit optimistic, got too much shit to do between now and then as it is.

Still gotta get another sprocket and get stuff sorted out for them, very much doubt everything will be right somehow.

Will assess it all when it gets here and let ya know but prolly not a good idea to hold ya breath, really wonna get to levels tho eh, never raced on that before!

cold comfort, just check out Tardme and ask the guys if they wonna sell the wheels separately, I did on a number of auctions and finally got it right on this one, now I know you are after a set them game on I will keep my eyes and ears to the ground too.

So are the the other guy that Gaz was talking about who has just bought a DR650 and wanting to get into it as well?

scorry
20th August 2009, 10:09
really wonna get to levels tho eh, never raced on that before!

19th September last round of king of levels
7th Nov might be your best bet though, Otago Motorcycle club have a go day

levels is the best track in the sth island for motards i reckon

scorry
20th August 2009, 10:13

just sold my set of wheels i had for my wr450 too sorry mate

Monstaman
20th August 2009, 12:11
7th Nov might be your best bet though, Otago Motorcycle club have a go day

Bugga this is shaping up pretty badly as we are away in China then.

Hmmm, gonna haf ta sort my shit out.

scorry
20th August 2009, 12:31
Bugga this is shaping up pretty badly as we are away in China then.

Hmmm, gonna haf ta sort my shit out.

oh come on man where's your priorities lol

Monstaman
20th August 2009, 12:52
oh come on man where's your priorities lol

...yeah just told my wife what for!!! .. laid down the law and said I have a day at Levels with the lads and we will can our trip to China.

She took it quite well and I hope to be out of hospital in time for the racing :doctor:

scorry
20th August 2009, 13:04
...yeah just told my wife what for!!! .. laid down the law and said I have a day at Levels with the lads and we will can our trip to China.

She took it quite well and I hope to be out of hospital in time for the racing :doctor:

thats more like it mate lol

hope you heal up well, she will forgive you sometime :no:

GaZBur
20th August 2009, 13:24
Tried places like Jap wreckers but have struck out so far

Advance Motorcycles in Sth Dunedin have at least one rim maybe the full set of 250 Bandit wheels like the ones I use and got adapted. Was thinking about getting a second set for slicks but money as always the problem. GJS engineering will quote you for adapting them if you tell them what you got as they did a great job on mine.

GaZBur
20th August 2009, 16:27
Hi Andi. Can't remember if I mentioned a few common DR tips. Like grind the crap header weld, rip off half the top of the airbox and get a Dynojet kit.
There are plenty of tips in the DR650 thread and NordieBoy's thread. Most of the tips work too! Can't wait to see you on the track. Also be cool to see Cold Comfort going too. If you ever bin I carry spare levers and some of the boys we ride with are good mechanically(but not me).
If you race Levels it pays to download the Machine Examination Sheet from MC http://www.motorcyclingcanterbury.org.nz/forms.php as it lists pretty much what you have to do for scrutineering.
See ya out there.
By the way I think you got those wheels at a good price from what I been seeing around.

cold comfort
20th August 2009, 17:43
Advance Motorcycles in Sth Dunedin have at least one rim maybe the full set of 250 Bandit wheels like the ones I use and got adapted. Was thinking about getting a second set for slicks but money as always the problem. GJS engineering will quote you for adapting them if you tell them what you got as they did a great job on mine.

Thanks for that Gaz. I will have a word on Friday. They are supposed to be doing a srvice on the Duc at some stage. GJS have it at the moment (modding a pack rack). I got my trailer from Gary also.

Monstaman
21st August 2009, 09:15
she will forgive you sometime

Actually I am bloody lucky really, got a wife who is encouraging me to do it, we are both get out and do it people and she knows that at bike No 36 over 30 years there ain't nothing gonna change soon and apparently ointment ain't gonna fix it either :laugh:.

Hi Andi. Can't remember if I mentioned a few common DR tips. Like grind the crap header weld, rip off half the top of the airbox and get a Dynojet kit.
There are plenty of tips in the DR650 thread and NordieBoy's thread. Most of the tips work too! Can't wait to see you on the track. Also be cool to see Cold Comfort going too. If you ever bin I carry spare levers and some of the boys we ride with are good mechanically(but not me).
If you race Levels it pays to download the Machine Examination Sheet from MC http://www.motorcyclingcanterbury.org.nz/forms.php as it lists pretty much what you have to do for scrutineering.
See ya out there.
By the way I think you got those wheels at a good price from what I been seeing around.

Header - Done, has about 6 mm of weld to 3/4 of the hole and a 10 mm boggy hangin off the other side.
Airbox - Done
DJ Kit - Done, 160 Main

Binning ... hmm hope not .. got bark busters on so that might help.

Have downloaded the scrutineering list, gotta get a numbers and do the wiring of sump bungs and the like ,all good.

Happy with what I paid for the wheels etc, looking forward to fitting them up.

mattsdakar
21st August 2009, 09:31
Thanks for that Gaz. I will have a word on Friday. They are supposed to be doing a srvice on the Duc at some stage. GJS have it at the moment (modding a pack rack). I got my trailer from Gary also.

Hey there,

Another wheel option is Suzuki RGV250 wheels, they fitted straight onto my DRZ400 with different spacers and front brake bracket.
Got my rims from tardme for $80 front and $120 rear
Good luck

Matt

cold comfort
22nd August 2009, 11:41

They have a front 2.15 x 17 ,which looks a bit skinny (and Gary agrees) also a rear off a Honda 4.0 X17. How do these sizes fit with your wheels? Had a look at the pics of your conversion. Very classy!

GaZBur
22nd August 2009, 14:41
Sounds a bit small. Ask Gary W he may know the size for sure but I think they are a 3.5 inch front and a 4.0 rear. You can squeeze a 120/60 17 front and a 160/60-17 rear(with a bit of knife work). That works well for the track but feels a bit indifferent around town. Rolls into slow corners like a boat without a keel if you can imagine that. For non racing I prefer a 110 and 150 combo.

cold comfort
22nd August 2009, 14:51
Cheers. Sounds like the rear will be ok, comes with disc (no mention of sprocket tho.) Still leaves the 3.5 front to match. No rush tho as funds are an issue with house renovations etc. Quite keen on the Back of Beyond to get some gravel miles in the interim. Any recommendations on that?

GaZBur
22nd August 2009, 14:56
Cheers. Sounds like the rear will be ok, comes with disc (no mention of sprocket tho.) Still leaves the 3.5 front to match. No rush tho as funds are an issue with house renovations etc. Quite keen on the Back of Beyond to get some gravel miles in the interim. Any recommendations on that?
Not from me, I am a noobie when it comes to adventure riding. If you look at the last OMCC newsletter it has some info on the BOB and the contact is Noel H. Best talk to someone who knows.

Monstaman
25th August 2009, 14:20
Well my tard wheels are leaving Auckland today and should be in New Zealand within the next coupla days!!

Can't wait to see what I need to do to get going and onto the track. :wari:

cold comfort, I will be on the back and beyond, Holmesy just sent the email with all the details, should be a great fun blast.

cold comfort
26th August 2009, 00:15
Excellent, look forward to it- prob won't be able to keep up judging by your track battles with Gazbur and your video of your jaunt to Rasp Flat but will have fun trying. No joy with the motard rims as yet (can't match the rear, and the front's too small) so if you hear of a complete set let me know.

Buddha#81
27th August 2009, 18:24
Excellent, look forward to it- prob won't be able to keep up judging by your track battles with Gazbur and your video of your jaunt to Rasp Flat but will have fun trying. No joy with the motard rims as yet (can't match the rear, and the front's too small) so if you hear of a complete set let me know.

Don at Pit Lane here in Chch has a set of GSX250R (3.5 fnt, 4.5 rear) wheels with disc, sprocket carrier, axles, spacers and i think they may have had calipers. $600ish was the figure he was talking about.

cold comfort
27th August 2009, 22:50
Hey Buddah #81. Thanks for the heads up but unfortunately they are 750 wheels (prob why they are more expensive) Not sure how they would go.

Monstaman
28th August 2009, 15:01
so if you hear of a complete set let me know.

Will do cold comfort, got a lead this avo which I will follow through and let ya know.

Well Xmas cam early today and my wheels arrived :headbang: :banana:

$24 to get them from Auckland into New Zealand and down to Wanaka, I was quote $80.00 by another crowd!

GaZBur, not long now mate, will have a play tomorrow morning as to fitment and spacers etc.

Tyres are

Rear 150/16 -17 Metzeler Rennsport

Front 110/17 - 17 Gettar F004RR ??, never heard of this, does anyone know?

Front disc is 10 mm too big so I will have to machine that down, came with a 225mm dia rear disc and a brand new 250mm rear disc, 250mm might fit but might need 5 mm prunned off.

Has bearings etc but I suspect they will be too small in the ID but time will tell.

These are them and a close up of the front rubber, anyone can tell me anything useful about the front tyre then lemme know.

BMWST?
29th August 2009, 22:40
Will do cold comfort, got a lead this avo which I will follow through and let ya know.

Well Xmas cam early today and my wheels arrived :headbang: :banana:

$24 to get them from Auckland into New Zealand and down to Wanaka, I was quote $80.00 by another crowd!

GaZBur, not long now mate, will have a play tomorrow morning as to fitment and spacers etc.

Tyres are

Rear 150/16 -17 Metzeler Rennsport

Front 110/17 - 17 Gettar F004RR ??, never heard of this, does anyone know?

Front disc is 10 mm too big so I will have to machine that down, came with a 225mm dia rear disc and a brand new 250mm rear disc, 250mm might fit but might need 5 mm prunned off.

Has bearings etc but I suspect they will be too small in the ID but time will tell.

These are them and a close up of the front rubber, anyone can tell me anything useful about the front tyre then lemme know.

i dont know what it is but i wouldnt track it...

Monstaman
30th August 2009, 11:30
i dont know what it is but i wouldnt track it...

Hmm ,yeah I am wondering eh, it feels firmish, I might take it for a quick road ride before taking it off to see how it holds and if it heats up ok or not and more to the point if it sticks.

I have a super soggy slick to put on so not too worried, just don't wonna waste a tyre with good tread.

It is made by Yokohama, looked on the internet sites but still can't find anything so it could very well be quite old as well.... (note hard aged rubber) :shit:

GaZBur
2nd September 2009, 21:27
Hey Monstaman, just trying to figure what the weather doing for Sunday at Teretonga.
http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/forecast.php?type=rain&region=nzsi&noofdays=5
Looks like it should be dry but too early to tell temperatures.
I am taking slicks down but will probably stick to GPRa's if it is cold.
Got a spare set of GPRa if you a bit iffy about slicks in the cold and I will bring them down. Just let me know.

Monstaman
3rd September 2009, 08:26
Heya Garry, not sure if we are gonna make it yet bugga it... as long as the high doesn't get under cut by the next front we should be sweet.

Needed some special bearings for the front wheel to meet the 42 OD x 17 ID required which have been ordered but seemingly they are coming from different ends of the country.

Have machined the LHS rear spacer and the rear disc, bought 4 new countersunk cap bolts and will be countersinking the rear disc to suit this morning, then finish off the RHS spacer.

Turning down the front disc this avo from 310 to 290 so it will fit straight in.

Can't make any front wheel spacers until my new bearings arrive so catch 22 and it is getting a bit narrow timing wise as the new bearings probably won't be here until tomorrow :(

Soon as I get the bearings it should be all go (dependent on the lathe being free too) so fingers crossed with caution.

Scored a preloved 3000 k old 120/70-17 Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa pro which
will replace the old front tyre, seems that Chinsing bought out Yokohama some 10 years ago so the front tyre would be at least that old so it is a gone burger now.

All go and trying to get there, the front bearing supply has been a setback tho, never mind we won't be far off motoring again.

GaZBur
7th September 2009, 10:33
Hi Andi
Here are the pics of the front as promised. The spacers are 25mm each, same for both sides. The disk should line up perfect. The spacers actually look like cut offs from some galvanised pipe.
It doesnt matter if the rear disk doesn't line up exactly the same as the pistons can float a fair distance but the front doesn't have much margin for error.
Had a ball at Teretonga on Sunday. It was cold but the track was dry for a change and lots of grip.
GaZ

Monstaman
7th September 2009, 13:28
Heya GaZ

Mint .... cheers for that, my bearings arrive again today so tonight might just get busy!!!

I have my middle bearing spacer finished and the two outer spacers bored and ready, just gotta prune them off to length .. now I can! :woohoo:

Glad to hear the track was wet, windy, cold and not worth going as I would have felt I missed out :crazy:

One last Q?, have you cut your side stand down at all?

Rear end all finished and in, took her down the street yesterday and everything is saweet but I do have to bed in the nice shiny new disc so one road to trip to Makas will sort that out and give me a feel for the bike on roadies.

GaZBur
8th September 2009, 07:58
Heya GaZ

One last Q?, have you cut your side stand down at all?

Yep. At about 50mm from memory - unless you can find a hill to park it on every time you stop! I understand Suzuki sell shorter stands but they are expensive for what they are. I have the knobs on now with the short stand and it leans over quite a bit but not ridiclously.

Monstaman
8th September 2009, 10:59
Yep. At about 50mm from memory - unless you can find a hill to park it on every time you stop! I understand Suzuki sell shorter stands but they are expensive for what they are. I have the knobs on now with the short stand and it leans over quite a bit but not ridiclously.

Sweet, thanks man, I have lowered mine a bit (37 mm front and rear) being longitudinally challenged :weep:

Do you run out of ground clearance with your tard wheels on?

GaZBur
8th September 2009, 16:11
Do you run out of ground clearance with your tard wheels on?
I wound my preload up but the arse still drops when the G-force comes in on cornering as I have the standard soft shock. Now that I have slicks on the plastic sliders under my pegs are taking a pounding. I lean the bike until the pegs lift then have to shift my arse off. The peg sliding is a good indicator as that is where the rear is about to run off the edge. The pick shows the Esses at Levels - not a lot of distance to grounding the bolts that hold the pegs on and there are corners that are taken at a bigger lean but they have never ground except on edge strips, and I don't advise that!

Monstaman
8th September 2009, 16:29
Cool cheers for that, yeah grinding hard parts is not a good thing for traction that is for sure.

Well I finished mine today and took her for a quick 5 min spin, all is good and I will take her out later in the week to get used to her.

Pruned 40 mm off my stand to start with, still sits up a bit level but not bad but with the adv wheels on it should be fine which it will have most of the time.

My front spacers are 27 mm LHS and 19 mm RHS as my hub had been machined for a WR450, no biggy as she is all in and done :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: ... now I just gotta get my arse to track and stump up with some half reasonable riding :2thumbsup

So cost in the end

$400.00 wheels and tyres compete with discs
$24.00 freight
$32.62 bearings
$456.62 total cost up and running :woohoo: choooice

Monstaman
8th September 2009, 16:31
..... last ones

GaZBur
8th September 2009, 16:44
Woohoo looks good! Just don't park it next to mine as mine is starting to look a bit - worn in comparrison.
Sexy gold wheels will fit right in with all the rich dudes with thier $1300 Gold Excel rims. You have a cool set of wheels at a ridiculously low price. If you ever decide to sell them - let me know first eh?

Monstaman
8th September 2009, 17:32
Sexy gold wheels will fit right in with all the rich dudes with thier $1300 Gold Excel rims.

Well ... ahem ...didn't realize I was bein trendy. :shit: .. I shoulda cleaned them but I couldn't wait to put up the finished pics.

Yeah pretty pleased with the cost as is the social team, nearly setup which is well cool.

At least your bike has "I have used it marks", mine is still in the poofy "I have just made it group" but that will change, I will however avoid tarseal applied cosmetic enhancements if I can.

Need to get my crash bungs / skatey wheels too, if you have any closeups of yours please put a pic up as well.

cold comfort
2nd November 2009, 20:21
Finally got some rims from Bucketsn'Bits (Auck) A ittle more than i had hoped but complete with carriers, sprocket etc. Checked the sizing with Gaz and dropped them off to GJS for some machining. Would have been keen on the Levels "have a go" day but not enough time to put it all tgether. (Also told i'm not allowed on a track until i have walked the Routeburn with she who allows me two bikes!)

helenoftroy
2nd November 2009, 23:44

Bought the DR650 a coupla months ago for adventure biking and a bit of track, I really had a great hoon at Teratonga on my Hypermotard but decided rather than grind that to pieces I would do it on something a little cheaper just in case the unthinkable happens.

Will never be up there with the top but for me it is about the grin factor and having a thrash on the track without worrying too much.

Finally got some rims from Bucketsn'Bits (Auck) A ittle more than i had hoped but complete with carriers, sprocket etc. Checked the sizing with Gaz and dropped them off to GJS for some machining. Would have been keen on the Levels "have a go" day but not enough time to put it all tgether. (Also told i'm not allowed on a track until i have walked the Routeburn with she who allows me two bikes!)
Soo envious of you guys!!.....really looking forward to seeing you at Levels....

My youngest boy is incredibly keen on us sorting my old DR for racing..watch this space!!an ageing mum & her son tearing around on buckets & a DR!!:scooter:

gaZBur is the inspiration!!track & street racing is a huge amount of fun

Squiggles
26th November 2009, 14:57
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528221 Have about the same invested in my set at the moment

Monstaman
27th November 2009, 14:30
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528221 Have about the same invested in my set at the moment

Did you buy them Sqiggles?, they are well cool.

Squiggles
30th November 2009, 12:07
Did you buy them Sqiggles?, they are well cool.

Nah i've got all the excel bits from Procycle, rear hub is the last piece of the puzzle for me (i think)