PDA

View Full Version : Just ridden the new Thunderbird

Big Dave
21st August 2009, 14:48
And it's beautiful. For a 1600 it isn't a large machine, but what an engine. Sweetness. The whole bike, brakes, handling and overall appeal are first rate.
If you have your money down - lucky you.

Shot some video and stills - on the KR site soon as.

Edbear
21st August 2009, 14:49
Sigh...! You just hate your job, don't you...?

Big Dave
21st August 2009, 14:53
It has its moments.

Devil
21st August 2009, 15:02
LA LA LA LA LA not listening! :shutup:
Dont need another bike to lust after! :shit:

martybabe
21st August 2009, 15:06
We really need a smiley that indicates utter total absolute jealousy.

In the mean time, good onya and :bleh::bleh:

I'm just about to sit down and read about it in your mag actually, what a coincidink.

Blackbird
21st August 2009, 15:29
Lovely looking bike. I think Rosso from this site has a test ride booked for next week and is itching to part with the readies!

Big Dave
21st August 2009, 15:29
Micheal Esdaile is amazing at the technical detail writeups.

He used to be editor of Revs magazine in Aus in the 80's and he retains all of that tech in his bonce too.

The Stuntman and the machines:

Hitcher
21st August 2009, 15:32
Triumph aren't doing much wrong at the moment!

(Apart from importing Aprilia parts into New Zealand...)

Mystic13
21st August 2009, 16:17
Your article was good. Made me want to go and at least ride one. Nice looking bikes. The comment of 1st shipment pre-sold and second heading that way makes sense.

What an interesting bike. Let us know when the vid and pics are up.

Cheers

MD
21st August 2009, 16:22
How do you force yourself to get out of bed and go to work sometimes?

You lucky, lucky basterd (apparently that's the hip new spelling)

If it doesn't wheelie it's not a real bike. Well that's what I'm telling myself to avoid lust attacks.

I swung by the Trumpet dealer today in case they had a TBird... nope. Mind you the new white/blue Daytona was in! best colour yet.

merv
21st August 2009, 16:52
How about engine vibes Big Dave or are they a thing of the past with big twins now? Funny how in the old days like when Norton Commandos were made they used isolastic to try and get rid of it.

Fatt Max
21st August 2009, 17:09
Glad to see you eventually got to get out on it...I now HATE my day job

Onya Dave

YellowDog
21st August 2009, 17:18
Looking forward to taking one out for a spin.

I have read some very nice write-ups.

Big Dave
21st August 2009, 17:29
How about engine vibes Big Dave or are they a thing of the past with big twins now? Funny how in the old days like when Norton Commandos were made they used isolastic to try and get rid of it.

Some vibration is apparent through the bars. Not at all unpleasant.
It has a really nice feel. Very strong and very cruisey.

There is a factory big bore kit too. :cool:

YellowDog
21st August 2009, 17:30
How do you force yourself to get out of bed and go to work sometimes?

You lucky, lucky basterd (apparently that's the hip new spelling)

If it doesn't wheelie it's not a real bike. Well that's what I'm telling myself to avoid lust attacks.

I swung by the Trumpet dealer today in case they had a TBird... nope. Mind you the new white/blue Daytona was in! best colour yet.

Quite nice:

Big Dave
21st August 2009, 17:40
If it doesn't wheelie it's not a real bike.

It will wheelie.

We didn't try today - what we were actually doing is shaking down the test bikes. Green as.
We put 100km on them to make sure the units are right for the general press and the dealer demos - so nada on the abuse. Bed the brakes - vary the throttle - get the skin off the tyres.

modboy
21st August 2009, 18:30

Got that right! 900k on the clock on my new Thrux, and it's starting to fit like the new pair of gloves I got at the same time (Triumph Expeditions, I can recommend as winter glove).

Goes, in for first service on Tuesday, maybe I'll get Motorads T-bird demo to ride to work on haha, (yeah right)

Molly
21st August 2009, 18:42
Your article was good. Made me want to go and at least ride one.

Where can I find the article?

Oh, and I just bought a Speedmaster last week... I don't want to want another either (luckily I don't think the TBird is a very good looking bike).

Big Dave
21st August 2009, 18:48
Where can I find the article?

On sale yesterday

and wait till you see it in the flesh.

Big Dave
21st August 2009, 18:55
Got that right! 900k on the clock on my new Thrux, and it's starting to fit like the new pair of gloves I got at the same time (Triumph Expeditions, I can recommend as winter glove).

I always enjoy seeing a Thruxton on the road.
Fine looking machines. Damn fine.

Triumph kevlar riding jeans are expensive but worth it too. All the KR crew are in them.

Mom
21st August 2009, 18:58
And it's beautiful. For a 1600 it isn't a large machine, but what an engine. Sweetness. The whole bike, brakes, handling and overall appeal are first rate.

Most important question here. Will my feet touch the ground?

Big Dave
21st August 2009, 19:01
Most important question here. Will my feet touch the ground?

Best I can do you is a probably. Triumph site will have the seat height - I haven't done any research yet - still dickin' with photos.

Mom
21st August 2009, 19:03
Best I can do you is a probably. Triumph site will have the seat height - I haven't done any research yet - still dickin' with photos.

I have had the experience of the feet touch the ground but can't reach the controls as well :pinch: Looking forward to seeing the end result.

YellowDog
21st August 2009, 19:10
Hey Big Dave, I am quite interested in a T-Bird and will definitely give one a go. I do think that it is a fabulous looking bike.

You metion that it is not a big bike for a 1600. I was just windering about the riding position and whether it feels like an out and out cruiser or perhaps a compromise?

I don't really like too layed back riding positions with my feet in the air.

Cheers for the positive information so far.

idleidolidyll
21st August 2009, 19:18
There is a factory big bore kit too. :cool:

waht? a 1600 isn't enough?!
i wanna 2000cc fuel injected blue smoke, you'd have to get 300hp

Big Dave
21st August 2009, 19:25
Hey Big Dave, I am quite interested in a T-Bird and will definitely give one a go. I do think that it is a fabulous looking bike.

You metion that it is not a big bike for a 1600. I was just windering about the riding position and whether it feels like an out and out cruiser or perhaps a compromise?

I don't really like too layed back riding positions with my feet in the air.

Cheers for the positive information so far.

Sporty end of cruiser, but still a cruiser. I found it very comfortable.

Stretch and I were both impressed by the brakes and the engine.

He gets out of shape about cruiser ground clearance a lot sooner than I do, but he's a maestro on two wheels where I'm all about feeling good and a dash of heavy metal thunder.

It's a cruiser ergo.

One I'm toungin' to ride again for sure.

Big Dave
21st August 2009, 19:33
waht? a 1600 isn't enough?!
i wanna 2000cc fuel injected blue smoke, you'd have to get 300hp

Everything Triumph have done with this vehicle is pointed at American V-twins.

A little bit lighter, a little bit more power, a little bit more torque, a little bit cheaper. Apparently there is quite a lot of untapped potential or over-engineering - whatever you call it.

They could have made it a 'whole lot' more, but the sales figures indicate what sells best in the demographic hey Mikey - nudge nudge.

You want to talk Squalkin' Seagulls? Bloor can bore ya!

Molly
21st August 2009, 19:38
Will check out KR tomorrow. Having a day on the Speedmaster that'll take in an event at the local dealer (recreating the Brighton mods / rockers gatherings of the 1960s).

Here's quite a nice article on Triumph by the way:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1205710/Return-wild-How-Triumph-motorbikes-cool-again.html

ital916
21st August 2009, 19:55
Will check out KR tomorrow. Having a day on the Speedmaster that'll take in an event at the local dealer (recreating the Brighton mods / rockers gatherings of the 1960s).

Here's quite a nice article on Triumph by the way:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1205710/Return-wild-How-Triumph-motorbikes-cool-again.html

Well prince harry is riding a duc 1098/1198 not a triumph, dont think the italians will like that :laugh:

Lovely looking duke that too.

idleidolidyll
21st August 2009, 21:31
Everything Triumph have done with this vehicle is pointed at American V-twins.

A little bit lighter, a little bit more power, a little bit more torque, a little bit cheaper. Apparently there is quite a lot of untapped potential or over-engineering - whatever you call it.

They could have made it a 'whole lot' more, but the sales figures indicate what sells best in the demographic hey Mikey - nudge nudge.

You want to talk Squalkin' Seagulls? Bloor can bore ya!

that's all what the America promised too, nice bike an all; more comfy, smoother

Ixion
21st August 2009, 21:34
I wish they would put that motor into a non-crusier bike.

scumdog
21st August 2009, 21:35

Erk, me 6.78 litre Thunderbird suits me..it's plurry large, handles so-so and stops great.

Big Dave
22nd August 2009, 20:30
http://kiwiridermagazine.blogspot.com/2009/08/thunderbirds-arehere.html

AD345
22nd August 2009, 21:02
Nice looking bike.

A decent set of pipes and she'd be a winner (I've never been a fan of the "true duals").

I might have to wander along and take a look in the next few weeks

DMNTD
22nd August 2009, 21:17

I grab our demo on this Tuesday coming which you're more than welcome to try...AFTER ME :devil2:

R6_kid
23rd August 2009, 00:23
I heard that they are running a 270-degree crank such as is found in the Yamaha TRX850 - makes for an interesting power delivery, and also a very distinct sound. Will be interesting to hear a bike with a set of open pipes :drool:

ukusa
23rd August 2009, 01:43
I heard that they are running a 270-degree crank such as is found in the Yamaha TRX850 - makes for an interesting power delivery, and also a very distinct sound. Will be interesting to hear a bike with a set of open pipes :drool:
Not new for Triumph, America & Speedmaster have had 270 for years.

Big Dave
23rd August 2009, 15:30
Not new for Triumph, America & Speedmaster have had 270 for years.

Scrambler too.

HenryDorsetCase
23rd August 2009, 16:42
I have had the experience of the feet touch the ground but can't reach the controls as well :pinch: Looking forward to seeing the end result.

I take it from your question you are vertically challenged, as I am.

Over the years I have basically always thought that the whole "two feet on the ground" thing is not for me. My Scrambler is the same. tippy toes (narrow bike made wide for a shortarse by the sexy sexy pipes.

My point is (and I do have one) go have a sit on one of the Bonneville SE's: Not only have the 17 inch wheels (cast, so you can use tubeless tyres) dropped the bike, it looks really nice in the flesh. Nicely proportioned and makes the motor look big. Plus I can comfortably get two feet on the ground. Really cool.

Sure a cruiser seat is fine because its low, but often the footpegs and foot controls are waaaaaay out there. I had a sit on one of those big M109's recently and couldnt get my feet on the pegs really. Hilarious.

I LOVE the look of the new T bird but I fear it will not be for me. I can almost see me trading the Scrambler for a Bonnie SE though. (though the bonnie might not be as nice on shingle.....and having one of each isnt an option!).

Oxy
23rd August 2009, 19:09
I sold my America.. was sad to see it go, but my new Tbird is only a week away.. can I survive the week??? The wife's comment? I guess we're not getting a house then. Ooops.

Oxy
23rd August 2009, 19:10
Can't ride a house!! hehe

Big Dave
24th August 2009, 13:30
OK - I've just been over to KR headquarters on errands. I borrowed a silver T'bird to show the rest of the crew.

Mom - Michael is 5'6" - comfortable with the controls and saddle height.

Again I loved the engine. You just want to keep rolling it on in top.

Confirmed the retail price is $23,990 +orc for solid paint.

The first two shipments are pretty much sold out, but there are likely to be a few cancellations due to people deciding to wait for their preferred colour. Which will be available in the next batch and build - that if all the planets align - should be here end October.

Best thing is if you are keen is to talk to your dealer now.

Big Dave
24th August 2009, 20:19
I grab our demo on this Tuesday coming which you're more than welcome to try...AFTER ME :devil2:

This is your road captain speaking. See you there.

GMcC
24th August 2009, 20:37

Which seem to be cheaper than similar Triumph parts.................

Big Dave
25th August 2009, 18:36
Went for a ride with the Triumph Dealer Reps - including Mr Dmntd today. They all seemed as impressed with the bike as I am.

I don't think there is a whole lot wrong with a Speedmaster - as medium weight cruisers go - so describing the new T'bird as a Speedmaster on 'roids isn't too bad.

A number commented on the 'top gear roll on'.

I rode a Sprint ST1050 for the day and the dealers had the t'birds. Damned if I hadn't forgotten exactly how nice a bike the Sprints are too.

With all the hoopla about Daytonas and having the Rocket test bike the ST had slipped off radar a bit.

It's quick, comfortable and a it's just a pleasure to ride.

It had panniers on when when I collected it - left them at AMPS - but if I was off to do a South Island lap....it's sporty enough for road use and roomy enough to spend all day on.

Dooly
26th August 2009, 07:37
Geez, I'd hate to have your job Dave.:crybaby:

Big Dave
26th August 2009, 10:05
Geez, I'd hate to have your job Dave.:crybaby:

'Snot really the gig - that's just the prominent enthusiast act - I had to do 'real' work when I got home.

8 page buyer's guide next edition

pritch
26th August 2009, 10:21
The latest BIKE out here has a ride impression article on the T Bird. It handles better than other cruisers and has better ground clearance. Not a lot, but some (it's no sprotbike). Made even more rideable by the smooth clunk-free gearbox.

With the optional screen and bags it might even make a cruisy tourer...

DMNTD
26th August 2009, 10:27
Went for a ride with the Triumph Dealer Reps - including Mr Dmntd today. They all seemed as impressed with the bike as I am.
Highly impressed...infact I was surprised how much it did impress me :yes:
Nimble...grunt...delicious aural satisfaction and a physical appeal that had people looking where ever we rode.

....describing the new T'bird as a Speedmaster on 'roids isn't too bad.
Heh...that would be the technical phrasing surely? Bang on in my opinion.

shrub
26th August 2009, 16:05
so far only around the block, but what a machine! Absolutely stunning build quality, they look much, much better in the flesh than in photos and I can't wait to go for a decent fang this weekend.

I hate my job.

Swoop
26th August 2009, 17:27
Quite nice:
I've said it before...
"That is a bloody beautiful bike!".:yes:

ukusa
26th August 2009, 17:39
I've been staring at the phone all day waiting for the bike shop to ring with those magic words "it's ready". Damn, it's after 5.30, guess it'll be at least another day :angry:

DMNTD
27th August 2009, 10:35
I'll have our demo at Bar Africa tonight if anyone is keen for a squizz

martybabe
27th August 2009, 11:12
Any one in the Naki that's interested, there will be a grand unveiling at New Plymouth Motorcycles on Sat at 10 am .It's certainly generated a lot of interest, even I'm on the brink of putting my money down on one and I've never even considered a Triumph before. Well played them I say.

pritch
27th August 2009, 15:34
Any one in the Naki that's interested, there will be a grand unveiling at New Plymouth Motorcycles on Sat at 10 am ..

Hmmm might pop along if I can drag myself outa the sack in time...

Pixie
28th August 2009, 12:13

Except building bikes with Yank ergonomics.
Are all American bikers decended from Quasimodo?

AllanB
28th August 2009, 12:37
Man i went out and spent my $ on the KR magazine to read a ride review only to find it was a 'report' on the bike not a ride review. Poos.

I was told yesterday a demo one will be in CHCH late next week - just quietly. I only want a perve - it's too fat for my liking, I'd be more inclined toward the Bonnie in one of its forms. But then that's dearer than a Street Triple ........

Of interest apparently a easy change to the bonnie rewards up to 10hp in extra go - mufflers, airbox/filter mod and carb/injector tweak.

Devil
28th August 2009, 12:54

Sat on it last night at the pub. Feels very nice so far, pegs aren't too far away and bars are just nice too. Dont feel too much like a parachute.

Sounds pretty sweet.

I'll be coming to take it for a ride soon Chris!

Big Dave
28th August 2009, 13:22

They don't make 1600s for Pixies.

Big Dave
28th August 2009, 13:23
It's a technical review.

Only moderate power increase from the pipes.

The 1700cc kit takes it to 100bhp.

DMNTD
28th August 2009, 14:17
Sat on it last night at the pub. Feels very nice so far, pegs aren't too far away and bars are just nice too. Dont feel too much like a parachute.

Sounds pretty sweet.

I'll be coming to take it for a ride soon Chris!

You're making me nervous young fella :lol:

AllanB
28th August 2009, 18:50
It's a technical review.

Yeah - but from the cover it looks like a full on NZ road test :drool: nothing new inside that has not been covered before.

Besides - it's a big twin cruiser - it's target market won't care what's inside the engine, they want to know how shes goes an looks :banana:

Buggers will want another $10 from me to read that now! Sneaky marketing .......:lol::lol:
(yeah I could test ride one, but I feel kind of dishonest test riding with no intention of buying - or worse I go for a test ride just for the hell of it and suddenly I get the feeling I have to own it!!!!).

It is still a 'she'? As the bikes get bigger are they still referred to as a 'she'? and if so do they get a suitable ' large girl' name - Burtha springs to mind for a Goldwing or R3 ...........

Big Dave
28th August 2009, 20:31
The T'bird isn't a massive machine like a R3 - think speedmaster on roids.

Oct edition in production now has the quick ride impression and release news (that is on the web site currently with the video)

The test bike was available again as of today - but I have the Aprilia Doraduro so It can hold over till next week.

There will be a ridden article for it Nov issue.

martybabe
28th August 2009, 23:03
Hmmm might pop along if I can drag myself outa the sack in time...

See you there then, don't have brecky, they've got a BBQ on the go.

malfunconz
29th August 2009, 09:43
been up last two nights to look at bike in window(taranaki) and its been under a cover , missing the grand unvieling and sausages as am at sea today out at maui platforms , talk bout suspense.hope the covers off sat night as ill be walking into town from the port to gape .

martybabe
29th August 2009, 13:14
The T'bird isn't a massive machine like a R3 - think speedmaster on roids.

Your right there, much smaller than I was expecting. Apart from what looks like a massive tank it does just look like a beefed up speedmaster, If you weren't in the bikey know you'd be hard pushed to tell them apart.

Nice though and defo on the short list. :drool:

Big Dave
29th August 2009, 14:38
Your right there, much smaller than I was expecting. Apart from what looks like a massive tank it does just look like a beefed up speedmaster, If you weren't in the bikey know you'd be hard pushed to tell them apart.

Nice though and defo on the short list. :drool:

The main difference is at the right wrist.

Sensei
29th August 2009, 19:43
Me & my boys went to check the T-Bird just before my shop here closed today & have to say its a good looking bike , afew area's that I would change like the length of the pipes , I would cut them back to under the pegs with a small slash cut type megaphone muffler convert to chain & black out some of the chrome on the motor as it was abit much for me . Felt like a good ride postion with easy to reach controls & not to bad weight balance & with the 270-deg firing order will sound sweet once it has the right exhaust system fitted along with the 1700cc Kit . The price was pretty competitive . If only bikes shops here would let me ride their bikes I could see how they went but haven't been allowed for near 3 decades now so don't bother asking any more LOL:headbang:

Big Dave
29th August 2009, 20:29
One of the demo bikes I rode had the shorter/stumpy 'off road' pipes. They give it more bark - I personally don't think they enhance the sound much - just make it louder - but I was in the minority on that.

I quite like way it sounds stock. Don't often say that about a modern Triumph.

the 1700 kit and pipes gives it 100hp.

scumdog
29th August 2009, 21:08
afew area's that I would change like the length of the pipes , I would cut them back to under the pegs with a small slash cut type megaphone muffler

Yep, my thoughts too - waay too long.

A shame it has to have a radiator, I guess it's a sign of the times, - I'll give a chocolate fish to the first bofin to invent a hidden radiator.

Big Dave
29th August 2009, 21:23
Yep, my thoughts too - waay too long.

A shame it has to have a radiator, I guess it's a sign of the times, - I'll give a chocolate fish to the first bofin to invent a hidden radiator.

Aye - but It's one of those 'camera adds 20lbs things' - It's not nearly as noticeable/prominent in the flesh.

Take your point about the mufflers - but actually from a rear 3/4 angle they looks the shizz

tri boy
29th August 2009, 21:23
I'll give a chocolate fish to the first bofin to invent a hidden radiator.

A copper's (chocolate) star fish is more of a nightmare than incentive.

Big Dave
29th August 2009, 21:39
A copper's (chocolate) star fish is more of a nightmare than incentive.

No ordinary copper.

AllanB
29th August 2009, 21:54

Benelli had a model a few years back with the radiator under the rear tail piece. It needed fans to extract the heat when in slow traffic. Plus there must be a bit of weight in a full radiator/plumbing and thats not a ideal place for extra weight.

If Buell were to build a cruiser they would put the water in the frame!

Big Dave
29th August 2009, 22:00
If Buell were to build a cruiser they would put the water in the frame!

I'll see if I can get Erik to comment.

Owl
30th August 2009, 04:50
One of the demo bikes I rode had the shorter/stumpy 'off road' pipes. They give it more bark - I personally don't think they enhance the sound much - just make it louder - but I was in the minority on that.

I quite like way it sounds stock. Don't often say that about a modern Triumph.

Stopped in and saw the one they have at Anza's yesterday. Sounded good with the short pipes and looked pretty good too.

It wouldn't be everyone’s cup of tea, but I like it!:yes:

NZsarge
30th August 2009, 06:27
It wouldn't be everyone’s cup of tea, but I like it!:yes:

Yes it was quite nice, (for something missing a couple of cylinders) a couple of small issues but I do mean small but the problem is they jumped out at me straight away but all in all if you were after such a bike it'd be definitely on the must test ride list.
Been having a rethink too, I think I would need it a bit louder... :devil2:

Oxy
15th September 2009, 21:18
I've clocked up 600k on my new Tbird and loving it. Very responsive and great handling, all of which will be put to a greater test when its run in :)
Just a couple of niggles.. little ones. Why did they do away with the sight glass for the oil?? Instead we have a dip stick, which measures the oil correctly when the bike is upright. What the???
Also, if you ever need to top up the water you have to unscrew the front drive cover. Not very considerate, but then I don't expect to have to do that in the foreseeable future. After riding the America for the last 37000kms I find having the ignition key on the right takes a bit of getting used to, and oh yeah, the fuel guage... ran out of fuel when it was till showing quarter of a tank.. and no reserve!!
Other than that, it's all good and I'm loving it!!

ukusa
15th September 2009, 22:18
I've clocked up 600k on my new Tbird and loving it. Very responsive and great handling, all of which will be put to a greater test when its run in :)
Just picked up mine today, only 30kms so far (had to go out to dinner dammit).

Just a couple of niggles.. little ones. Why did they do away with the sight glass for the oil?? Instead we have a dip stick, which measures the oil correctly when the bike is upright. What the???
Also, if you ever need to top up the water you have to unscrew the front drive cover. Not very considerate, but then I don't expect to have to do that in the foreseeable future. After riding the America for the last 37000kms I find having the ignition key on the right takes a bit of getting used to, and oh yeah, the fuel guage... ran out of fuel when it was till showing quarter of a tank.. and no reserve!!
Other than that, it's all good and I'm loving it!!
ah, the things to look forward to.

Oxy
10th October 2009, 17:20
The Thunderbird just gets better and better. 320ks before refueling with an estimated 30k still in the tank. Only cost $26 to fill it up.. awesome!!

scumdog
11th October 2009, 07:55
The Thunderbird just gets better and better. 320ks before refueling with an estimated 30k still in the tank. Only cost $26 to fill it up.. awesome!!

Pretty much the same as my T-Sport.

Nice to be able to do a few km without sweating over "Shit, will I make it to the next gas-station?" stuff.:niceone:

Bronson
11th October 2009, 08:04
[QUOTE=scumdog;1129450405]Pretty much the same as my T-Sport.

Do you get wind swirling around your fairing? I did so I took it off, it rides a hellava lot better.

scumdog
11th October 2009, 08:11
[QUOTE=scumdog;1129450405]Pretty much the same as my T-Sport.

Do you get wind swirling around your fairing? I did so I took it off, it rides a hellava lot better.

My one regret was the bike arrived in NZ minus fairing - would like to buy one - ya got one for a '01 Superglide T-Sport?:wait:

Bronson
11th October 2009, 08:18
[QUOTE=Bronson;1129450417]

My one regret was the bike arrived in NZ minus fairing - would like to buy one - ya got one for a '01 Superglide T-Sport?:wait:

Sorry, I flicked it on to a guy in the same boat. You're not really missing anything, I tried it with a full screen & a cut down one. Still got bashed by the wind & the noise was louder than the 2 into 1 with no baffling.