PDA

View Full Version : GS100ST restoration

Markpat
21st August 2009, 17:22
Hi, I have just got a GS1000ST and am looking to restore it. Its motor and frame are good but everything else needs work. The local bike shop estimates 8K plus to do everything. Since I dont have the money i'll either have to give up the idea or do it myself. Anybody able to point me at some Spares, restorers, web sites etc. Any input greatfully accepted.

Henk
21st August 2009, 18:43
Do it yourself. If the engine and frame are OK there isn't that much left really. What's wrong with it? I have one of these slowly decaying in the corner of the garage that I keep meaning to do something with but have too many other things on the go to get to. They are a super simple UJM and would be a perfect first project.
8k sounds a lot to spend on it, but if you start on it be aware that it will cost twice as much and take twice as long as you think. At least.
If you have any specific questions PM me with a phone number and I'll give you a call, I had mine in as many bits as it's possible to get these into about 15 years ago.
Fun bikes when they are going if slow and heavy by todays standards, make awesome tourers.

AllanB
21st August 2009, 20:01
The bike shop will be looking at replacing crappy parts with new I suspect thus the high price.

You say the engines good - so you have running gear and cosmetics to play with. Flag the factory restore and mod it to your personal preference.

If the chrome is stuffed - you can strip it and re chrome or strip and paint.

Stock seat is shagged - recover in a different style

etc etc ....

Just don't paint it pink ........

www.oldbikebarn.com or www.bikebandit.com may be able to help with bits.

wickle
21st August 2009, 20:20
You should contact the riders from BFTP group who post on this site, just bought a 1980 GS1000ET this week myself, next week riding up to Auckland to join "Blast from the Past " ride.

toycollector10
21st August 2009, 20:41
Here is your parts supply resource, or at least one of them. There's probably lots of stuff on ebay Australia as well.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=suzuki+gs1000&_sacat=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313&_odkw=suzuki+gs1000st&_osacat=0

There must be a forum on the 'net somewhere where you can get technical support and information.

You need to start with a workshop manual and a parts book.

A restoration won't be cheap. Have you considered importing a fresh one from the USA? There are lots of fabulous low mileage bikes over there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Suzuki-Gs1000-gs-1000-motorcycle-Early-production_W0QQitemZ220462790936QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUS_motorcycles?hash=item33549b3918&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245#v4-11

And they are as cheap as chips but factor in the exchange rate and the cost of crating and shipping and GST etc etc if you want to do it that way. The thing is, your donor bike has to be in good shape, and yours sounds OK.Sometimes you can wind up trying to breath life into a dead dog and it will break you financially if you try that.

Cheers..TC

jellywrestler
21st August 2009, 21:48
Good luck if you can restore one well for under $8K there are 1403 different part numbers alone, many of these multiple items, its friday and i'm being a trainspotter on the interweb between making bolts for one of my old toys.
At the end of the day its about the journey, not the destination

pete376403
21st August 2009, 22:02
http://www.thegsresources.com for useful info

http://www.suziparts.com.au for NOS bits

plus there are heaps of others

Markpat
21st August 2009, 22:05
Thanks so far. Seems the biggest cost will be rebuilding the front end as the fork tubes have quite a bit of rust on them and I am told that just cleaning it off is not enough....
I have read that they can be swapped for other front ends though and help the 1980 lack of breaking at the same time.

jellywrestler
22nd August 2009, 07:55
Thanks so far. Seems the biggest cost will be rebuilding the front end as the fork tubes have quite a bit of rust on them and I am told that just cleaning it off is not enough....
I have read that they can be swapped for other front ends though and help the 1980 lack of breaking at the same time.
theres a couple of options, rotorua electroplaters is where i got my Hesketh forks rechromed or forking by frnak in the states do replacements also i'm looking for fork tubes for a gs1000 alpha sports have them @ $350usd.
depending on whether the bikes got live rego and the standard of restoration you're after as to which path you'd choose

toycollector10
22nd August 2009, 10:19
At the end of the day its about the journey, not the destination

How true.....

Dodgyiti
22nd August 2009, 16:21
There is a few guys on here in Auckland even that have been down that path and come out with some really nice and usable bikes.
It will feel like your bike if you do all you can your self, something to be proud of and who cares if its not perfect anyway, better getting out on it than fussing over how a stone chip is the end of the world.

paturoa
23rd August 2009, 12:29
I've got a gasket and some unused o rings you can have. (workshop clutter!) PM me if you want them and we can organise something.

pete376403
23rd August 2009, 20:13
If anyone needs a GS1000L engine I've got one taking up space in the shed.
Has been bored to 1100. Could need new pistons, I have the old MTC high comp ones and they might clean up. Rings from a Honda Civic Shuttle 1500 would fit if the oil groove is widened a smidgen.
Also other 1000L (that was the cruiser style model) bits. This one was had a major front end impact, frame, forks and tank were buggered.
Exhausts have already gone to another home, seat is pretty good - vinyl split but base unrusted.
Make silly offers and they will probably be accepted, I bought this thing in the hope of using parts off it on the GS1100 but there's not a lot in common.

classic zed
25th August 2009, 11:06
eBay is your friend when your doing this sort of thing, I bought all the hard to get bits like standard exhausts from there for my Z1300. Other than that I had all the black shiny bits powder coated in Glenfield, the chrome done in Otahuhu (even the fork tubes were hard chromed and ground) and the paintwork I did myself a friend of mine recovered the seat as thats what he does for a living.

Let me know if you need help

be aware though when using eBay.com sometimes the models are known by differend numbers in the States, for mine I have to search for KZ1300, for eBay.co.uk its Z1300

I'll be back on the BFTP rides when I finish recovering from spinal surgery.

Markpat
27th August 2009, 16:02
Is it better to have the existing Koni shocks rebuilt, If I can find a place to do it , or buy new aftermarket ones ?

Henk
27th August 2009, 18:16
Check the price both ways on the shocks. The konis worked fine on mine. I should throw my 81 GS1000st into the make me an offer bucket really. I doubt I'll ever do anything with it. Too many other projects and toys.

Bonez
27th August 2009, 18:17
Is it better to have the existing Koni shocks rebuilt, If I can find a place to do it , or buy new aftermarket ones ?They're designed to be rebuilt. They're marketed as IKONS now http://www.ikonsuspension.com/

Putting a post in the suspension thread will point you in the right direction.

KiwiGs
31st August 2009, 12:50
Mate you need to stay away from the stealerships!
These guys,z1enterprises (http://www.z1enterprises.com/), are your friends for the little things you need.
As an example I needed some shims for my GS1000ET
The shims and a gasket from the bike shop $272 and 2 weeks out of Japan the price out of Z1 was $40 and a week.
Cheers

flyingcrocodile46
31st August 2009, 16:27
If anyone needs a GS1000L engine
Make silly offers and they will probably be accepted, I bought this thing in the hope of using parts off it on the GS1100 but there's not a lot in common.

Swap for a GK fairing?.. :laugh: Pete, what's your handle on GSR??? I'm Colin Green

Hey Kiwi GS.. Great to see you here and at the BFTP group.

MarkPat... Get yourself over to the BFTP social group and we'll try and sort you out :sunny:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/group.php?groupid=110

and the GSR site.. Mate you won't believe how helpful and knowledgeable the boys at GSR are.
http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/index.php

pete376403
31st August 2009, 20:23
Engine and bits have been sold, Spyda has a GS1000L chopper that he is restoring, and I now have space in the shed, so I can start putting the GK back together. I'm still keen to buy the fairing, just sorting making arrangements with our Auckland branch to send it down with the regular inter branch shipments. Once thats sorted I'll PM you.
Dont recall my GSR handle, its been a while...

flyingcrocodile46
31st August 2009, 23:44
Dont recall my GSR handle, its been a while...

:eek::eek: :shutup:

Locko
1st September 2009, 00:02
You may just find a decent set second hand...also i with the guys who do it them selves,my gs 1000 forks arnt great but i polished the pits out and got some nice italian made seals,usally they last about a year before i have to replace them but its a easy job.My bike is proudly never been restored or washed,easy to work on and lots of fun,maybe some slightl later model tubes could be used..good luck .

flyingcrocodile46
1st September 2009, 00:41
Hey Locko. Good to meet you on the ride. There is a video of you on the BFTP thread and social group ride thread.

I have forks for a GS1100G

Hey Pete! You wouldn't happen to have a spare set of GK hard luggage would ya? I have the rack and reckon it would all look ok with the 1000S bikini fairing that I have decided to run with.

Anyone got a 1000S fairing?? lol

pete376403
1st September 2009, 13:22
No spare bags or top box, sorry.
There are usually some on E-bay if you can find a seller who ships outside the lower 48. Freight costs would be a killer, though, because of the bulk.