PDA

View Full Version : Brand new dropped 08 CBR600RR

Hahn
22nd August 2009, 10:52
A couple of weeks ago I went bike shopping with a couple of mates. We pulled up on the foot path between Cyclespot and Holeshot in Takapuna, North Shore. Just removing helmets etc, and here comes this fella all dressed up in full race leathers taking a brand new 08 CBR600RR for a test ride.

Well, he revs the bike out the driveway, and we turn to watch. He revs again as he turns onto the road, then he must have dropped the clutch... (wheelie attempt maybe?) too bad he was still in the turn. Rear hangs out... kill the throttle and bam! high side!:done:

The bike goes for a nice slide and luckily stops within a foot of Holeshots bikes on the side of the road... and right in front of us.:shit:

Just thought I'd share, certainly makes me treat my bike with more respect having actually seen what cold tires and silly riding can do. Anyone else had any experience with new bikes being dropped?

breakaway
22nd August 2009, 11:12
Fuckin idiot, sounds like he got what was coming to him.

p.dath
22nd August 2009, 11:17
I imagine he had a difficult conversation when he went back to Cyclespot. Do they cover you on their insurance during test rides?

Did you see what he was riding himself before the test ride?

Unit
22nd August 2009, 11:18
Dropped my partners new 09 R1 with only 500ks on the clock in a metal driveway turning round, needless to say he was very good about it :confused:

EJK
22nd August 2009, 11:24
Ouch.... He must have been embarassed :o

CookMySock
22nd August 2009, 11:26
Too busy showing off.

Steve

The Pastor
22nd August 2009, 11:27
yeah they have full insurance, how could they not.

most of them have a 2k excess :D

Jizah
22nd August 2009, 11:35
Hahaha that would have been hilarious to witness. I bet it was breakaway ^^

nallac
22nd August 2009, 11:43
yeah they have full insurance, how could they not.

most of them have a 2k excess :D

yip that makes for an expensive test ride...$2k...
or buy your own brand new damaged bike...

Argyle
22nd August 2009, 11:44
Hehe, never dropped the bike but got my GSXR freshly served from the shop, took it out on the road and thought i were going to be a cool guy and wheelie it.

But the mechanic probably had a oily floor so there some oil on my tires and the whole back tire just spun off on the asphalt and almost made me highside the bike. Must have looking really stupid.

Hahn
22nd August 2009, 13:09
I imagine he had a difficult conversation when he went back to Cyclespot. Do they cover you on their insurance during test rides?

Yeah I the cyclespot guy said it cost him $1000, pretty expensive 4 second ride. Didn't see his old bike unfortunately.

Hahaha that would have been hilarious to witness. I bet it was breakaway ^^

Funny to the tune of the mechanics $8000 repair bill estimate. :third:
Moments like that you wish you had a camera.

PrincessBandit
22nd August 2009, 15:37
Just thought I'd share, certainly makes me treat my bike with more respect having actually seen what cold tires and silly riding can do.

Of course your motives for sharing this story were completely noble and honourable...:whistle:

It was pretty funny though, especially if he was actually trying to show off. If it was "one of those things" that happened through inexperience or whatever then I'd feel really sorry for him. It's easy to take the piss particularly when someone is "all kitted out" with the look then shows their lack of experience.

Let's face it, a lot of us are concerned with image to some degree - I know I'd hate to look like a complete jerkoff and have other bikers sniggering at me if I did something like that ('cause it certainly wouldn't be because I was trying to look impressive!!!). Hope you helped him...

p.dath
22nd August 2009, 15:39
But what I really want to know is if when he took the broken bike back did he ask if they had another for him to try because he wasn't finished his test ride.

Nagash
22nd August 2009, 15:45
It's easy to take the piss particularly when someone is "all kitted out" with the look then shows their lack of experience.

I've always found that one kinda confusing.. seeing as the inexperienced need the full as much, if not more, then the experienced riders.

Poor bastard.. I find it hard to believe that he was trying to pull a wheelie on a test ride right outside the shop. No one's that stupid surely..

YellowDog
22nd August 2009, 15:50
Either this guy was testing a bike he was no way experienced enough to ride - Cyclesports should have recognised this.

OR he was just being a complete dick and deserved the financial pain he will now have to suffer.

I never laugh at the misfortune of others. But when they are trying to show off and it goes wrong......................

My funny/stupid story AND mistake was about a week after I got my new bike.

I went for a meet up/show off and had a great day riding and getting a good feel of how the bike handles. I arrived home full of confidence with a big smile on my face. I performed an immaculate U-turn on my steep drive and stopped the bike on the flat part of the drive.

Whilst still 'as happy as Larry' a swung my leg over the back of the bike to get off without first checking that the side stand peg was engaged. I just kept expecting it to stop (before it hit the ground).

I laughed instead of crying. I was very lucky. The bar end weight and rear foot peg took the shock, so the only cost was a cracked indicator lens.

I told the wife that I though I might be too stupid to own a new bike.

She agreed :(

Hahn
22nd August 2009, 15:57
Of course your motives for sharing this story were completely noble and honourable...:whistle:

It was pretty funny though, especially if he was actually trying to show off. If it was "one of those things" that happened through inexperience or whatever then I'd feel really sorry for him. It's easy to take the piss particularly when someone is "all kitted out" with the look then shows their lack of experience.

Let's face it, a lot of us are concerned with image to some degree - I know I'd hate to look like a complete jerkoff and have other bikers sniggering at me if I did something like that ('cause it certainly wouldn't be because I was trying to look impressive!!!). Hope you helped him...

Yeah we helped the poor bugger pick the bike up. He was showing off his skills or lack of, he was definitely not gently pulling out. (We only had a snigger at home afterwards :shutup: )

Apparently this happens all the time, was just wondering if anybody else had seen or even experienced it.

Hahn
22nd August 2009, 15:59
But what I really want to know is if when he took the broken bike back did he ask if they had another for him to try because he wasn't finished his test ride.
was just cosmetic damage, so after settling the bill he took out again.
I asked if it was for sale damaged, but no new (roughed up) CBR for me.

Laava
22nd August 2009, 23:02
Dropped my partners new 09 R1 with only 500ks on the clock in a metal driveway turning round, needless to say he was very good about it :confused:
It's compulsory to drop a new bike while manoevering about at 0kmh. Way I see it, you did him a favour by doing it for him! He owes you!

Ryan432
22nd August 2009, 23:40
Apparently this happens all the time, was just wondering if anybody else had seen or even experienced it.

Its the new tyres, probably about 15-20 people a year drop their bikes turning onto barrys point rd from treads , holeshot, cyclespot etc The saddest ones are the guys that give you attitude for warning them about it..."I've been riding since way before you were born youngun, how dare you have the cheek to warn ME about something" type additude, other than that you just feel sorry for the people. I think usually its people trying to hit a small gap in the traffic and being a little overentheusiastic on the gas..

Also every person i have seen do it is a guy.. maybe it is related to showing off then ;) haha

DIN PELENDA
22nd August 2009, 23:47

Yes I herd all about it as we met at Kopu few days after that, to do Coro loop . DMTD was still crying :crybaby:and drinking :apint:Bourbon at 10 am.:lol:. That is wary bad what you did, then again knowing his privies record's, you could just say you were trying to help and it's rather you dropped at low speed, if that was him it be at weary high speed "You always droop new bike". That reaction from him, it is what you expect from man like him, good on you Chris(I know it is normal for you to drink bourbon for briefest )!
You are lucky to have him as your man!

PS I'm telling my wife same thing, that she is lucky to have me, but she told me to F^%$#@ OF:(.

TOTO
23rd August 2009, 00:24
excess in cyclespot for bike testing is 2000. that was an expensive mistake !

BMWST?
23rd August 2009, 00:29
had a brand new bike(bought the same day)pushed over in a bike park,tank was dented and paint scrated off,bike next to me had a broken clutch lever....that bike had a tank cover from then on....

Str8 Jacket
23rd August 2009, 07:46
Poor bastard, some people out there just have bad luck!!

Remember, this could happen to anyone. Even you!... ;)

dipshit
23rd August 2009, 11:38
Poor bastard, some people out there just have bad luck!!

Remember, this could happen to anyone. Even you!... ;)

If you are referring to the above post with a bike falling over in a parking space... then yes that is bad luck.

If however you are referring to the original post - then no, it isn't just bad luck. If someone wants to be a wanker and show off pulling wheelies then things like that are on the cards. You make your own luck.

sAsLEX
23rd August 2009, 14:14
I know the rider in question.

Cost him a grand. Still took it for the test ride after.

Claims new tires were the issue.

sAsLEX
23rd August 2009, 14:18

A nice white corolla.....

Looking for First bike in this country.

I think usually its people trying to hit a small gap in the traffic and being a little overentheusiastic on the gas..

Yup thats the one. Treads warns you every time, its even on their receipts.

excess in cyclespot for bike testing is 2000. that was an expensive mistake !
$1K actually.

DMNTD
23rd August 2009, 14:28
Bugger...I missed it!

Yes dear :rolleyes:

He owes you!
You know it!

I know it is normal for you to drink bourbon for briefest
It was 10am after all!

NDORFN
23rd August 2009, 14:46
Poor bugger. Doubt he was trying to show off. Probably just wasn't used to the clutch/power combo and with unscuffed tyres and a tricky corner it was a recipe for disaster. Hope it hasn't put him off.

sAsLEX
23rd August 2009, 14:48
Poor bugger. Doubt he was trying to show off. Probably just wasn't used to the clutch/power combo and with unscuffed tyres and a tricky corner it was a recipe for disaster. Hope it hasn't put him off.

He picked up a CBR600RR yesterday and rode it the 800k home without incident.

Buster
23rd August 2009, 14:56
I used to work at cycletreads on saturday mornings donkeys years ago. It was about 1 bike a month going down on the way out of that driveway. I felt really bad for the old boy who rolled his new harley down the road..end over end.. That was a beast to pick up.

I'm motarded
23rd August 2009, 21:18
poor guy funny or not, that suxs

Sparky Bills
23rd August 2009, 21:29
Oh bugger.
Someone steal the front wheel off it! I need a spare. :clap:

BiK3RChiK
23rd August 2009, 21:38
Yer, I feel sorry for the guy too... and I'm glad his excess wasn't the 2g! But, still, 1g is bad enough, let alone the embarrassment.. Poor fulla!

Hiflyer
23rd August 2009, 21:58
hmmm 1 k is better than mine, its 1200, maybe I should just test ride bikes all the time to and from work :banana:

munterk6
23rd August 2009, 22:11

Bwahahahah!!! he can only kick himself for the foolish decision he made huh...:clap:

No one I repeat, NO ONE rides my bike cept me, the guy who pays for it and everything else. :rolleyes:

discotex
24th August 2009, 19:04
He picked up a CBR600RR yesterday and rode it the 800k home without incident.

Guilt purchase ;)

Nah they're just fucking great bikes.

Hahn
24th August 2009, 23:50
Nah they're just fucking great bikes.

Yeah your right about that, was tempted myself, but couldn't turn down the sweet deal I got on the gixxer!

Unit
28th August 2009, 08:42
Bwahahahah!!! he can only kick himself for the foolish decision he made huh...:clap:

No one I repeat, NO ONE rides my bike cept me, the guy who pays for it and everything else. :rolleyes:
Uhummmmm, We do has our own rides each which we generally stick to, but this partnership is equal in all respects :bleh:

grbaker
28th August 2009, 10:31
I dunno... I just put new tyres front & back.. got they normal "Take it easy" and did so...

Most demo bikes have had a good scrub in but not this one it seems.

I fell sorry for the guy, but only a little bit.

Leyton
28th August 2009, 10:51
Just thought I'd share, certainly makes me treat my bike with more respect having actually seen what cold tires and silly riding can do. Anyone else had any experience with new bikes being dropped?

Yeah I dropped my 900km on the clock 07' YZF-R6 on a round about, fractured a rib $4000 worth of damage to the bike.... not doing anything silly. Just being a n00b.

Ducky848
28th August 2009, 19:41
Many moons ago I took my newly aquired and rather exotic Rothmans NSRSP in for new rear tire and pulled a stoppy outside the front of the tire shop cos a bunch of ppl (and bikes) were standing outside.

Got the back up nicely, rolled three feet into a greasy patch and wound up on my arse. Lots of claps and attention which was the original intention anyhow..

Pixie
29th August 2009, 10:22

Nobody ever said:"look at that guy.He's riding that demo bike really carefully".