PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a 1968 'bitsa' Bonnie

Molly
23rd August 2009, 07:37
I'm going to be undertaking my first nuts-and-bolts restoration of a '68 Bonnie shortly and decided to log the whole process in a blog. Just thought I'd post the link in case anybody was interested.

Cheers.

http://www.abonnieforjo.blogspot.com/

tri boy
23rd August 2009, 07:51
Enjoy.
Lots of old knowledge on here with the likes of Paul, Motu, Ixion etc to help with the historic details if needed. (correct whatsit, that is fitted to only black thingamajig from chassis# .......- ******** etc).
I'll just sit in the corner and keep the tea pot brewed. (3 heaped tablespoons of loose tea into pot filled with rain water, pot to the kettle, not kettle to pot:girlfight:)

edit. Damn. Forgot the ginger nuts.
(Oh Shaun..........)

Voltaire
23rd August 2009, 07:56
Your description made it sound like a pile of bits....but in fact its a nice running bike with practical modifications.
I have a couple of pre unit " projects" but I understand the 68/69 Bonnies are about the best in terms of performance/handling/style.

Are you going to fit the twin leader drum for the look of stay with the disc for better braking?

popelli
23rd August 2009, 11:05
had a 68 saint once

lovely looking bike but it was a load of trouble

had a 47 speed twin - it was a far better bike wish I still had it

my advice get a decent workshop manual, and get a few books on that particular model so you know what you are looking for in the way of parts etc

original front hubs for those are now worth $$$$$ and the 68 had a one off linkage to the twin leader and a one off alloy cover for the offside of the hub

also last year of the eyebrow badges

cc rider
23rd August 2009, 23:10
Your description made it sound like a pile of bits....but in fact its a nice running bike with practical modifications.Yeah, that's not a pile of bits, believe me. I have that :rolleyes:

Am looking forward to following your resto, Molly

Molly
24th August 2009, 19:02
Are you going to fit the twin leader drum for the look of stay with the disc for better braking?

Just put some better pics on the blog as I could see why you though that front brake was a disc. As far as I know it's the right one for the year.

If they ever finish my bloody garage I'll make a start on it.

www.abonnieforjo.blogspot.com

Paul in NZ
24th August 2009, 19:12
yep - interesting combo of parts...

Looks like a 71 / 72 set of forks, a 69/70 front brake, later engine (hard to tell)...

You can suss out the engine / frame numbers here...

http://www.britishspares.com/41.php

Its important to figure out what everythings off because contrary to popular belief, there were significant differences...

Its all good stuff for a riding bike, good forks (the headlamp wire brakets and flatbacked light were not up to much), good brake, better engine (breathing etc) so its not like it's a pile of cast offs...

Not sure how much you know about them and I wouldn't presume to tell you but there are some good places to go for info...

Cheers

Motu
24th August 2009, 19:17
This is a '69 front wheel...or so I'm told.

Molly
24th August 2009, 19:43
Not sure how much you know about them and I wouldn't presume to tell you but there are some good places to go for info...

Cheers

Well, I've got a video 'A Bike is Born' where a British vet decides to rebuild a basket case but beyond that.... Not a clue ;-)

Been working on my own bikes for years but mostly Harley. Plenty of tools and a good lift. Just short on time most of the time. Expect to have it finished in ten years or so... Thanks for the link by the way. I understand it's a five speed '73 motor. Starts easily enough and seems to run well without smoking (must be out of oil...).

Paid $4,200 for it. Might be too much. Might be a bargain. Doesn't matter as I just wanted a nice project and am really doing it for my missus.

Molly
24th August 2009, 19:46
This is a '69 front wheel...or so I'm told.

That's a cool pic. Not quite the same as the one on my bike. :-)

Paul in NZ
24th August 2009, 20:29
Paid $4,200 for it. Might be too much. Might be a bargain. Doesn't matter as I just wanted a nice project and am really doing it for my missus.

Good price - you could probably part it out for that... easily!

Check the engine numbers - see if it starts with T120V or T140V. The very very early T140's were real oddballs and you might have issues if it's one o dem...

If the engine has a good history, leave it till it goes pop or you get curious. If it was me I'd tear it down but I'm anal.

So - little custom then? Flat tracker??

Molly
24th August 2009, 20:37
Been looking online at rigids with Bonnie motors. Very nice but this one will be a nice, classic-looking bike as that's what the wife likes. Will check the motor number, ta. It'll be a nuts and bolts rebuild inc. the motor. I'm fussy too.

stormtrooper
5th September 2009, 22:42
I'm going to be undertaking my first nuts-and-bolts restoration of a '68 Bonnie shortly and decided to log the whole process in a blog. Just thought I'd post the link in case anybody was interested.

Cheers.

http://www.abonnieforjo.blogspot.com/

Nice one mate good to see a old school bonnie resto taking place, have just restored a 1951 speedtwin and am near the end of a 64 bonnie will see if i can put up some pics if i can work out how to up load them onto the site, have some good contacts for original parts if you need.

Molly
11th September 2009, 21:26
Thanks for that. Learning more about the bike all the time. May yet pick your brains.