PDA

View Full Version : What's the most disappointing bike accessory you've bought?

clmintie
23rd August 2009, 18:17
Here's mine....

Bought some Zeta MX roost handguards today and am very disappointed with them after fitting to the 85. So very flimsy, I didn't realise the mount was plastic. The shop didn't mislead me, silly me assumed they were ali... Grrr,

vazza
23rd August 2009, 18:24
I'll have them!!!

Armitage Shanks
23rd August 2009, 18:44
Been there - done that

Caveat Emptor

_STAIN_
23rd August 2009, 18:53
don't know what your talking about, got em on my ZX10R. Tested in excess of 280km/h, stop stones and bugs just fine.

YellowDog
23rd August 2009, 18:56
don't know what your talking about, got em on my ZX10R. Tested in excess of 280km/h, stop stones and bugs just fine.
Slow down. Slow down.

Where's the fire?

But it does sound like they do a good job.

LBD
23rd August 2009, 19:10
The Ducati DP rear hugger for the S4R monster...It leaves a big gap in the swing arm open for stones and debri to shoot through and damage the rear shock....The whole purpose of the hugger was to protect the shock.

Have just replace it with a different design from Shift Tech....

You can see the rear sping and shock through the swing arm in one photo. The other is the new Hugger closing the hole

Rupe
23rd August 2009, 19:13
fox pawtector gloves, don't wear them as find my old ones better

hospitalfood
23rd August 2009, 19:20
for me it would have to be petrol, i just keep having to replace it

clmintie
23rd August 2009, 19:23

Cool, good onya (might start wearing helmet in my van when you're on the road), but how often do you drop your zx10 at low speed in the sand/mud?

courts
23rd August 2009, 19:32
yeah i bought polisport roost guards .they were flimsy and hopeless . changed them for zeta full barkbuster type handguards that have taken an absolute hammering on rocks, clay and trees and are holding up fine.not to be used on race track though......

flyingcr250
23rd August 2009, 20:00
yeah i bought polisport roost guards .they were flimsy and hopeless . changed them for zeta full barkbuster type handguards that have taken an absolute hammering on rocks, clay and trees and are holding up fine.not to be used on race track though......

i bought some aceribis ones that were plastic, they didnt last long at all, i was thinking about the full on alloy bark buster type, but the mounting comes real close to the hydraulic clutch, could snap it off if i crash and the bark buster swivels up wards.

Ktmboy
23rd August 2009, 20:10
I have to say that I too am disapointed with the guards on offer. Had to seriously modify ours to fit them. Was a mission.

I think the most dumb thing I bought was a nose protector for my goggles. First time I fitted it I got a rock right on the snoozer. Filled the googles with blood.

McJim
23rd August 2009, 20:12
for me? It has to be the rider. I don't know why I spent all that money on a fat bastard that just sits on my bike and slows it down. Meh.

2fitty
23rd August 2009, 20:24
I bought a brand new fmf fatty, the dissapointing thing was it was attatched to a 92 kdx200,which constantly broke down leaked and fell apart after every ride.AWESOME

barty5
23rd August 2009, 20:26
fox pawtector gloves, don't wear them as find my old ones better

those the ones i got you if there still newish ill get back from yah as mine are fucked

barty5
23rd August 2009, 20:32
Here's mine....

Bought some Zeta MX roost handguards today and am very disappointed with them after fitting to the 85. They have to be the most useless product ever. So very flimsy, I didn't realise the mount was plastic. The shop didn't mislead me, silly me assumed they were ali... Grrr, into the bin with them......

i bought set of these for mine work great on bike but not so well when hit with yah ribs but hey everything on bike is still ok.

http://northern.sprint3.com/package/content/kernel_sales_images_actualRender.asp?intKernel_ima ge_PK=2335

Rupe
23rd August 2009, 20:34
those the ones i got you if there still newish ill get back from yah as mine are fucked

No not the yellow under glove things, they're great.

My Fox pawtector gloves.

Rupe
23rd August 2009, 20:35
i bought set of these for mine work great on bike but not so well when hit with yah ribs but hey everything on bike is still ok.

http://northern.sprint3.com/package/content/kernel_sales_images_actualRender.asp?intKernel_ima ge_PK=2335

link needs password.

barty5
23rd August 2009, 20:36
link needs password.

oops my bad forgot in automatic logon ill repost pic

barty5
23rd August 2009, 20:37
here you go ...

barty5
23rd August 2009, 20:38
No not the yellow under glove things, they're great.

My Fox pawtector gloves.

yeh the pawtector hows old are they what size

1wheel riot
23rd August 2009, 20:41

dirt is a bit differnt . i got a new all balls raceing bearing kit and the cages in them collasped after one race. fuckd me right off

clmintie
23rd August 2009, 21:00
here you go ...

Yeah, those are OK, but not legal for MX......

nothingflash
23rd August 2009, 21:20
My waterproof boots. They're hopeless - they fill up in no time and the water obviously plugs all the holes because they don't let it back out again :brick:

Sparky Bills
23rd August 2009, 21:23
Here's mine....

Bought some Zeta MX roost handguards today and am very disappointed with them after fitting to the 85. They have to be the most useless product ever. So very flimsy, I didn't realise the mount was plastic. The shop didn't mislead me, silly me assumed they were ali... Grrr, into the bin with them......

You do realise they are a "roost" protector?? So your hands should be nice and protected from your mates roosting and bushes etc.

Buddy L
23rd August 2009, 21:33
I had these ones on my old CR, were on the bike when i got it and they handled a lot of crashes with me at the helm. But towards the end of their life they would vibrate lose and hang under the bars. Tossed them in the end.

http://www.acerbis.com/p106_handguard/5502.html

Just had another look and this model seems to have a better monting set up.
might have ironed out the problems that i had with the older model.

clmintie
23rd August 2009, 21:34
You do realise they are a "roost" protector?? So your hands should be nice and protected from your mates roosting and bushes etc.

Yes I realise they are only for deflecting debris thrown up from the bikes in front and they will probably manage to perform that task most of the time, but they are so flexible in their mounts that the rock that was going to hurt your fingers is simply going to push them back and hit anyway.....The principle of their design is OK, I just think they're under-engineered...

Buddy L
23rd August 2009, 21:45
The principle of their design is OK, I just think they're under-engineered...

Its always going to be hard to make something that is strong and ridged, with only one mounting point.
Its a real pickle.
Like you said in your first post, they need to have a alloy Skeleton

oldguy
23rd August 2009, 21:47
What's the most disappointing bike accessory you've bought?

the bike:doh:

clmintie
23rd August 2009, 22:09

I thought you liked your RMZ...???

B0000M
23rd August 2009, 22:16

thats similar to the most dissappointing thing cheese ever bought.

Underground
23rd August 2009, 23:07
Without a doubt ,Oxford clock thermometer .
Bought one of these and went for a ride ,it got a little damp and a little cool ...damn thing quit on me :(
So I thought 'faulty item ' and nice bike shop gave me a new one ... sweet :clap:
Went for another ride , maybe a little humid and warm , or even cold .
Nothing a 'motorcycle clock' shouldnt be able to handle .
And the damned thing quit on me :(
So I pulled it apart and I could find NOTHING that proctected the electronics from the elements !! wtf ?
This is suposed to be a motorcycle accessory .
Anyway nice motorcycle shop gave me my money back and I spent it on something useful ...like beer , which worked fine ,both in the rain and the sun :clap:and who gives a fook what the time is .

oldguy
23rd August 2009, 23:09
I thought you liked your RMZ...???

I do, but its been that long since Ive ridden it, I forgotten what its like:crybaby:

thats similar to the most dissappointing thing cheese ever bought.

haha your on to it. :rofl:sad but true:(

cheese
23rd August 2009, 23:16
yeah a 98 rm that turned out to be a 96 was dissapointing. I spent twice what I paid on it fixing it. I could have just got a new bike for all the trouble i went through.

Live and learn.....

takitimu
24th August 2009, 00:13
Oil cap for klx - oem is flat blade to screw & got a 14mm alloy one, alloy to soft and thread was peeling, lasted one oil change.
I have those guards on the husky, from prev owner, i was sceptical & branches can hurt, they do deflect 90+% I reckon, so I am happy enough, got well roosted today no dramas, no rocks that I noticed mind you.

jt119
24th August 2009, 00:32

like that dye gilo :Offtopic:

skidMark
24th August 2009, 02:10
A small dog.

oldguy
24th August 2009, 18:19
like that dye gilo :Offtopic:

haha maybe I should put the RMZ through it, squeeze it through the rollers than cut into strips