PDA

View Full Version : CB550 sport front brake

cheshirecat
24th August 2009, 14:43
Any ideas or advice would be welcome.

We'd like to upgrade the front brake on this bike. At present it's effect is minimal even by 1977 standards. It has new pads and a good disc but !!!!

Given two options - keeping bike as standard option or by changing it's front end option.

cheers

m

Bonez
25th August 2009, 17:56
I take it it's a cb550F super sport? You can mount a second disk, caliper, braided lines and better suited resevoir (early twin disk goldwing for instance). Just need to mill a groove on underside of the second disk centre to accommadate the speedo drive boss. GB 400/500s have 35mm dia fork tubes. Haven't measured them up centre to centre, or total length though to see if they're a straight slip in replacement. Ok the front wheels on the GBs are 18" but that should'nt be too much of an issue and you get lighter alloy hoops. One idea I'm playing with at the moment seen as Gerbles isn't operational. The back brake is great. You could adapt your riding style to use both in unison for the time being till you've got the front sorted.

You could also post your quary- http://www.sohc4.net/

Bonez
25th August 2009, 18:13
Pic of the slots. Another common alteration by some was to turn the calipers around so they are located behind the fork lowers. Drilling hole in the disks was another mod.

R6_kid
25th August 2009, 18:34
I have a 1985 CB650LC which has equally shite brakes. I just make sure they are maintained properly and know that this bike doesn't stop half as well as anything else I've ridden and as such maintain a bigger following distance than usual, and I'm a bit more alert when following other vehicles.

Braided lines, fresh fluid, and practicing emergency braking in the carpark is my suggestion.

Changing calipers and master cylinders can get a bit messy as there is a bit of maths involved with how much fluid the master cylinder is pumping vs how much the calipers want to receive - get it wrong and it could end up much worse, or with no feel but lots of stopping power which is equally as dangerous.

cheshirecat
30th August 2009, 11:18
Pic of the slots. Another common alteration by some was to turn the calipers around so they are located behind the fork lowers. Drilling hole in the disks was another mod.

Thanks for this. I like the Goldwing thoughts. It's at Boyles Welly at the moment recovering from the effects, or lack of effect, from the aforementioned front brake.

m

Bonez
30th August 2009, 18:35
Thanks for this. I like the Goldwing thoughts. It's at Boyles Welly at the moment recovering from the effects, or lack of effect, from the aforementioned front brake.

mThat's no good. No damage to the rider I hope.

cheshirecat
30th August 2009, 20:15
That's no good. No damage to the rider I hope.
They are fine, thanks for asking