PDA

View Full Version : Johan's VMCC 09 round 4

johan
24th August 2009, 21:32
F1
Ducati 998

I owe Motomart this round.
I went down to the garage to kick the tyres and have a look at the bike Friday morning and found a pool of fork oil on the floor. I called Pat at Motomart and he said to bring the forks in and they'll fix them for Saturday's race. A few hours later they called back and said forks were ready to be picked up again. Champs!

Qualifying
I had really been looking forward to ride the long track again. It's so much more fun with the fast corners all the other challenges it presents.
I had dropped the front 4mm to get the thing to turn better, but to be honest I couldn't tell the difference. It wasn't worse anyway so I'll try another 2mm for the next round.
Qualified 13th, 4th row, so I knew I better get good starts to get into top 10 again.

Race 1 - F1
I lined up on 4th row on the inside. Spud right infront of me, slightly to the left. Lights goes off and I'm leaning as far forward as I can to keep the front down. I see Spud bouncing a bit and hope he'll hold his line and pass him and the rest of the 3rd row accelerating through the first four gears. The acceleration is such a rush and the tunnel vision at the end of the straight is pretty sweet too. For once I didn't break too early but staid close to the guys in front of me. I managed to get out of turn 1 in 7th position I think. Craigh Frethey is right in front of me which was great I thought, because he's always quicker than me and now I could try to keep up with him.
It was working pretty well until I tried to break later but struggled to stop the thing. Damn breaks are useless, made for posing outside Starbucks, not for stoppies after the front straight. I have to sort that out.
I run wide in Higgins after a late break attempt and Sandra get a great drive out of the corner into the extension. I closed in on her trough the fast corners and as we enter the long left sweeper, over the new seal and bumps, we're right leaned over at the outside of the track, you have to very gentle here and wait before you can get on the gas again, the rear tends to step out I've noticed. Sandra getting on the gas a wee bit too much and the rear comes right around and she's sliding on the ground and I fear I'll run into them. Fortunately they drift to the outside of the track and I make it through. :eek5:
Craig is now long gone and I finish the race 7th. My best F1 result to date!

Race 2 - F1
Not so good start this time, probably around 10th into turn one and I ride quite slowly in general. I get passed by 4-5 bikes in the first lap before I manage to get up to speed. I pass a 2-3 bikes in the extension and the long sweeper coming into Dunlop and are now behind Spud and Sandra. There's nothing much I can do but having a ball riding with them. I try one last desperate attempt to pass Spud in the last lap, last corner but I over cook it a loose all momentum coming out of the last corner and Spud walks away from me, I finished 11th.

LG superbike race.
I almost missed this race for whatever reason. I was on my way but the bike didn't sound right, very noisy!? Ahh, I forgot the earplugs. By the time I was sorted the dummy grid had left but the officials let me out to join the warm up lap.
Spud decided to do a LeMans start but the rest of us took off by the lights.
A few laps into the race I was trying to keep up with Sandra again. She's very quick around the short track but I catched up again around the extension.
With only a few laps left Sandra miss the turn a goes straight out over the grass.
The only guy in sight now is Adrian Cox but he's far ahead. Even though I rev the poor twin untill the trellis frame glows red, Adrian casually wheelies away from me on the strights :mad:
I think quite a few riders went down in this race, I end up finishing 4th.

Another great VMCC meeting. Even though a few hickups in the morning, VMCC improvises and keeps every thing smooth and flowing.

Catch ya'all at round 5!

cheers
johan

Clivoris
24th August 2009, 21:50
Great riding again man. Do you ever wonder what the world would be like on the back of a modern 4 cyl. superbike? I'd be curious about how you'd go. Or you could borrow Scuzme's 1098.

scuzeme
24th August 2009, 22:22
My wife gives me a very long lead but when it comes to wanting to race the 1098 she jerks the collar pretty hard woof! woof! it aint gunna happen.....well maybe if i buy her a horse or a diamond ring maybeeeee it may happen.
Good results Johan and it was good to dice with you for all of 20 seconds on the weekend.

johan
24th August 2009, 22:40
Great riding again man. Do you ever wonder what the world would be like on the back of a modern 4 cyl. superbike? I'd be curious about how you'd go. Or you could borrow Scuzme's 1098.

hehe, cheers mate, don't tempt me! I'm quite happy with this bike.
I still haven't tried anything newer than a 998.
I know if I take a 1098 for a ride I'll sign the papers... But I need a new kitchen and a bathroom first... Or that's what I've promised my partner, not to mention the dishwasher haha
I might have a 999r engine upgrade soon though...
But I prefer to lower the laptimes from better riding, not more HPs. I keep on dreaming..

sinfull
24th August 2009, 22:56
Nice read mate ! Your making that bear growle at the IL4's mate, awesome !!!

Funny how the first pic of you was number 65 !

The high res pics are around 3 mb mate if ya want any copies pm me an email addy !

crazzed
24th August 2009, 23:15
mint to see the twin doing so well.
ive got a il4 forsale if you want lol.
were those speeds from gps?

Deano
25th August 2009, 00:40
Looking good out there Johan ! Don't listen to them about the IL4 - it's good to hear the big v twin out there.

wharfy
25th August 2009, 06:48
Great read Johan, and bloody good results !!

driftn
25th August 2009, 07:07
Top effort Johan. I was behind you for a few laps in the last super bike race but got caught up with the rest of the bunch and spent the rest of the race watching you ride away from us. See you next round.

lukemillar
25th August 2009, 15:09
Sounds like a good weekend - I'm bummed to have missed it :(

However, fairings are getting painted now, tyres are sitting next to my desk, so i'll definitely be ready to burst the cherry at round 5!

Clivoris
25th August 2009, 15:27

However, fairings are getting painted now, tyres are sitting next to my desk, so i'll definitely be ready to burst the cherry at round 5!

Top man. 2 day meetings are awesome. Relaxed with plenty track time.
Johan, don't get me wrong mate. I wasn't suggesting you buy a IL4. Just curious about whether you had considered it. I'm sure if Mrs Scuzeme met you and was able to see how stable and trustworthy you are, she would tighten the leash on hubby and get him to loan you the 1098:sweatdrop
I also have a lot of sympathy for the "build up the skills approach".

slowpoke
25th August 2009, 15:28
Well done mate, it's always good fun to to pit and race with you. Remember: just like lingerie, Ducati's never go outta style.

johan
25th August 2009, 17:13
Nice read mate ! Your making that bear growle at the IL4's mate, awesome !!!

Funny how the first pic of you was number 65 !

Great photos! Looks like I got my knee down!

mint to see the twin doing so well.
ive got a il4 forsale if you want lol.
were those speeds from gps?

Hope you're healing well mate! Are you back next round!?
I used a simple GPS device to plot the track. You can see the antenna on the tail piece.

Looking good out there Johan ! Don't listen to them about the IL4 - it's good to hear the big v twin out there.

I'm not giving up the twins just yet, they are too much fun for that!

Great read Johan, and bloody good results !!

Cheers! You scared us all with your slide into the wall. Hope you're not too sore today!

Top effort Johan. I was behind you for a few laps in the last super bike race but got caught up with the rest of the bunch and spent the rest of the race watching you ride away from us. See you next round.

Great to see you back again Luke!
I'm afraid next round I'm the one watching you ride away; you're soo quick around the short track!

Next round is two days, it'll be a great introduction to Manfeild!

Top man. 2 day meetings are awesome. Relaxed with plenty track time.
Johan, don't get me wrong mate. I wasn't suggesting you buy a IL4. Just curious about whether you had considered it. I'm sure if Mrs Scuzeme met you and was able to see how stable and trustworthy you are, she would tighten the leash on hubby and get him to loan you the 1098:sweatdrop
I also have a lot of sympathy for the "build up the skills approach".

No worries mate!
I've looked at other classes and bikes for sure, still not sure what to go for. Picture me on a R6 trying to shift at 9k rpms!

Cheers guys!

Sparky Bills
25th August 2009, 18:26
Well done mate!
Its great to see a Duc that far up the grid.
Keep up the good work.

wharfy
26th August 2009, 13:03
No worries mate!
I've looked at other classes and bikes for sure, still not sure what to go for. Picture me on a R6 trying to shift at 9k rpms!

Cheers guys!

Check with Darrin, but I think it's more like 14,000 rpm :)