PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering?

Mudflaps
25th August 2009, 17:53
So I was talking to 'a guy' today who said my carb would produce more power out of the corners if I put my air box back on, instead of having a gauze over the mouth of it, as the carb would accept still air into it faster than moving air.

If this is true, and that is the first question, is it, Then what if instead of having still air pulled into the carb from inside an air box attached to the carb, you had a 'scoop' of some description pushing air to the carb mouth! Would this work?

Disclaimer:eek5:
If it sounds like a rediculass thought/idea, please note that I don't know anything about engines at all, and was merely putting the guys comments through the grinder in my head :bash:

Can't think about much more than buckets at the mo...I have the bucket desease:rockon:

Sketchy_Racer
25th August 2009, 18:12
Depends on each bike, but generally I've found that all my bikes have run much better when I have had a air box on.

My current bike won't run without it on now, it needs the static air.

Give it a try, it may work. Pod filters are just for posers....

Mudflaps
25th August 2009, 18:40
Yeah was originally looking at pod filters, but soon stopped. I might try a scoop and see what happens. Failing that, I'll chop the back off my air box and gauze it over.

DELLORTO
25th August 2009, 18:42
my fxr150 wont run with anything but a straight pod....

but now im working on my 2nd generation RAM air induction system.....:woohoo: so hopefullly my engine will run on that

nudemetalz
25th August 2009, 18:46
I put my pod filter on for the last meeting at Kaitoke which was wet, thinking it would keep the water out of my carb.
All that succeeded in doing was fill the pod with water and killing my power (well, what a Loncin has to begin with anyway !! ;) ).

mossy1200
25th August 2009, 18:48
Yeah was originally looking at pod filters, but soon stopped. I might try a scoop and see what happens. Failing that, I'll chop the back off my air box and gauze it over.
CV carbs like airbox unless you modify the springs,air jets etc.Dont try ram air system ducts into cv carbs if thats what you have.

CookMySock
25th August 2009, 18:59
CV carbs like airbox unless [...]Thats what I have always found too. My 650 won't go past 5,000rpm with no air box, but the 250 comet goes like stink with no air box on. Go figure..

Steve

Mudflaps
25th August 2009, 19:09
A cv carb? Not sure what this is but I prob don't have one. I have a standard ax100 carb which is I think 22mm? I was going to enlarge this though to a 28mm. I found the bike revved faster and ran faster without the air box on. I haven't re jetted yet.

quallman1234
25th August 2009, 19:19
I think the stock AX100 carb, is more like 20mm or below. Skunk would know. Its not very big at all.

Maybe im confused, but i believe CV carbs, relay on the vacuum to pull the slides up. Therefore the airbox and carb's have to be at the same pressure?

pete376403
25th August 2009, 19:21
Among (a lot of) other things, the air box reduces some of the intake noise.* An engine with an open carb is pretty noisy, which can sometimes be percieved as faster

* a chainsaw makes more noise from the intake than from the exhaust, according to a very skilled small engine mechanic I know

StoneY
25th August 2009, 19:22
Dunno if its the same thing - ive had an air box all along BUT the intake pipes were not connected to the inlets on my fairing (the GixxeR)
89$ later I had the two flanges that attach the intake pipes-

Bike now idles a lot smoother (or am I just imagining that) and seems to be able to pull longer than before- might be my imagination-

I guess the engineers test this shit at the factories:innocent:

mossy1200
25th August 2009, 19:24
A cv carb? Not sure what this is but I prob don't have one. I have a standard ax100 carb which is I think 22mm? I was going to enlarge this though to a 28mm. I found the bike revved faster and ran faster without the air box on. I haven't re jetted yet.
cv carbs have (normally) a round top above slide that contains a bellows diaphram that lifts the slide.Non cv slides lift dirrectly from the throttle cable.
If you slide lifts with bike not going by turning throttle then its not cv.If it doesnt lift it will be cv.
If its not cv airbox shouldnt be needed but it will run lean if not rejetted and needle heights adjusted. lean is not good as engine temp increases and under load when riding it will loose power instead of make more even though it seems good when you rev it in neutral.

mossy1200
25th August 2009, 19:29
I have heard that rg250 flatslide carb is the altra mod for ax100 engine .You would need to check its not to large for you class of racing though.

Mudflaps
25th August 2009, 20:07
This is all great stuff thanks!

I have heard that rg250 flatslide carb is the altra mod for ax100 engine .You would need to check its not to large for you class of racing though.

I am racing f4 so think I'm allowed up to a 28mm carb?

I'll check out how big the rg250 carb is. It's all food for thought.

F5 Dave
25th August 2009, 21:42
Golly there is all sorts of advice flowing freely.

here are some reasonable - what I'm going to call facts;

1. you don't have a CV carb
2. your bike is 100cc so not restricted by carb size (as a 125 is to 24mm)
3. RG (28mm) will be fine, but you will have to find the right jets by experimentation else it will run worse (or worse seize)
4. depending on other modifications (ports & pipe) it may not be an advantage
5. always remember you have a 4 speed gearbox when making mods
6. I'd always mount a carb with rubber manifold if you change it
7. your mate's advice is pertinent for modern 4 strokes, your bike is neither
8. Cheap Pod filters are a restriction

& more anecdotaly,
9. I've made a few airboxes for my small 2 stroke race engines & have always ended up returning to open carb (albeit now with fully enclosed guards on 5 sides).

Mudflaps
25th August 2009, 22:00
Wow. Thanks. That certainly set some things straight.

I realize that I can't just change one thing and expect wonders. But I guess this is the learning process I need to go through eh.

Kendog
25th August 2009, 22:15
Wow. Thanks. That certainly set some things straight.

I realize that I can't just change one thing and expect wonders. But I guess this is the learning process I need to go through eh.

Half the fun of bucketing is making and fixing the bike, as you know.

Unless you are lazy like me and go the Lonchin way.

Mudflaps
25th August 2009, 22:21
[QUOTE=Kendog;1129372973]Half the fun of bucketing is making and fixing the bike, as you know.

EXACTLY!! That's what I'm signing up for:wari:

AND...then you get to race them! SWEET.

all4A50s
27th August 2009, 06:45
This is all great stuff thanks!

I am racing f4 so think I'm allowed up to a 28mm carb?

I'll check out how big the rg250 carb is. It's all food for thought.

It very much depend on your bike. I have tried a couple on my fifty, original type and a modified one resulting in a worse running bike.

Most small bikes I have worked on are quite happy to run without one. Try it and let us know your results.
George

ajturbo
27th August 2009, 07:51
Half the fun of bucketing is making and fixing the bike, as you know.

Unless you are lazy like me and go the Lonchin way.
and then you will be dealing with me on my 50cc....

Kendog
27th August 2009, 19:11
and then you will be dealing with me on my 50cc....

It's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it.

Mudflaps
27th August 2009, 20:58
It's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it.

Careful:lol::lol:...this is coming from a guy who has a wee tank, covered by a hollow large tank:clap: If size doesn't count...ride with just the wee one!!:lol: No one will mind, and Trudes has seen it before:clap::clap:

Bert
28th August 2009, 18:51
ouch...

Muddy, Carbs are a dark art, small changes are the best option. I'll bring along some jets for you (next meeting).

But for now get it running well and focus on the race craft (corner speed and braking) for a little longer; the bike is fast enough for the field you are running in.
or you might enter my realm of a poorly running bike which i spend all my race days fixing.......or giving up on:weep:

B

Mudflaps
28th August 2009, 19:00
New carb is sitting back up on the shelf:) I'd actually said the same thing to him this morning!! Seems mind changes about what I'm going to do on it every ten mins!!

Kerry is on his way. Just left welly about 20 mins ago.