PDA

View Full Version : Brake piston seals

MrMelon
6th April 2005, 18:22
I failed my warrant AGAIN cos my brake pistons are sticking.
I took the callipers off and it looks like the seals around the pistons are sticking out at various places which is stopping them from retracting properly (as well as all the dirt and shit that was in there)

Is there a kit you can get that has all the seals for a front brake overhaul and how much should I generally expect to pay for one? I need to get this fricken bike warranted and back on the road!

Cheers!

sedge
6th April 2005, 18:48
I reckon it would be cheaper to tie a strong chain to the street magic and throw it overboard when you want to stop.

Um... You at work tomorrow ? Let me know what the model code is and I'll have my people talk to your people. (AKA I can ring the guys I normally deal with and get a quote for you)

Pokey outy seals doesn't sound good, yurk, haven't you got a track day to go to in the w'end ? Nothing like a squirt of brake fluid on the pads at the end of the main straight to brown the leathers.

I wanna go to this one bad ! But I've got a birthday thing happening on the Sat and I'll likely be comatose and unbalanced (more than usual) on Sunday :(

Sedge.

curious george
6th April 2005, 18:50
Last quote I got was $22 bucks a seal!! Times 8 for the front end made it bloody expensive!
Can anybody do it cheaper?

bugjuice
6th April 2005, 19:07
I redid the seals on my CBR250 cos they were leaking. Couldn't believe how much 4 little rubber rings cost, but wasn't hard and made the world of difference. Don't know if there's a kit for them, but it'll cost no matter what. Really don't know why, just do. I found that it was quicker and cheaper to get mine straight from Honda than anywhere else as it all came from Honda to start with.. So don't think Kawa will charge more, they might be the cheapest!

MrMelon
6th April 2005, 20:11
Fuuuck!
That's not sounding too promising. It'd probably be cheaper to get a whole set of new zx6r callipers of ebay than to just get some new seals...

This track day's looking pretty doubtful now.