PDA

View Full Version : Baffling question.

Waylander
6th April 2005, 19:33
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to remove the bafholds out of my pipes and then put them back in again without welding or cutting anything? I don't plan on keeping them out I just wonder how much louder my bike will be without them.
(well and also maybe to see if the harley rider down the road notices lol)

Holy Roller
6th April 2005, 19:37
There's that interesting spelling again :killingme

Waylander
6th April 2005, 19:39
There's that interesting spelling again :killingme
Yea, yea couldn't be botherd pting it into word and using spell check. Been workin on the bike all day I think I have earned the right to be lazy the rest of the night.

Holy Roller
6th April 2005, 19:51
Your pipes got end caps riveted on. Drill out the rivets the resulting sound will be a deeper tone without it sounding like a tractor. Would have posted a pix of mine but the bike has just gone to the shop. I haven't rechecked your pix to see what sort of mufflers you have. If they are the shotgun type not sure about them. The baffles on my trail bike that I had were held in by a screw, the screw came out and the baffles shot out the back.

Know what you mean its been a long day :Punk:

Waylander
6th April 2005, 19:56
Ill take pics of the inside of my pipes tomorrow and get a better look inside. Was just sitting here in the lounge when I heard my harley nieghbor go buy and thought about this. Tried looking in my manual and a few places online but came up with nothin. They would have to be in there fairly solid cause it backfires alot when it gets to the time to change the oil.

Holy Roller
6th April 2005, 19:57
Just looked at your pix again.
Can you see any baffles when looking down the end of the pipe, or is there a plate with a smaller hole in it blocking the pipe?

Waylander
6th April 2005, 20:14
Has a plate with smaller pipe running through it. Plate is curved back where it touches inner and outer pipes.

Just found this, it has a wav file of a virago with and without the baffles. Think I like the baffless one better lol not sure if it would pass WOF though.

http://yamahavirago.ca/pipes.htm

Holy Roller
6th April 2005, 20:19
Has a plate with smaller pipe running through it. Plate is curved back where it touches inner and outer pipes.
How is this plate fixed to the outside pipe?
usually they are riveted

Waylander
6th April 2005, 20:25
Can't see right now cause where I have the bike parked has lousy lighting at night so a more detaled description will have to wait. (also can't find my torch) I don't remember seeing any rivets or screws so not sure about that. Still checking the net though.

Waylander
7th April 2005, 15:00
Ok I got the pics, and damn my pipes look rusty as hell. Might just get new ones soon anyway.

Lilmsrocker
7th April 2005, 18:41
Those are the CUTEST BIKER CHICKS....that I have ever seen!!!

Waylander
7th April 2005, 18:42
Those are the CUTEST BIKER CHICKS....that I have ever seen!!!

Hehe thanks.

loosebruce
7th April 2005, 21:05
Oh where oh where can my baffles be............ oh thats right Death cut them out with a gas torch and a hole saw, beats $1000 for a/m pipes i reckon, MR reckons the TL sounds like a Harley, he was bloody lucky i didn't slap em one.

Don't worry about WOF's, i know some people, good people. Cut that shit outta pipes and make some noise :cool: and give yourself a almighty headache in the process, now wheres that panadol, i know it was round here somewhere.................

Waylander
7th April 2005, 21:09
Oh where oh where can my baffles be............ oh thats right Death cut them out with a gas torch and a hole saw, beats $1000 for a/m pipes i reckon, MR reckons the TL sounds like a Harley, he was bloody lucky i didn't slap em one.

Don't worry about WOF's, i know some people, good people. Cut that shit outta pipes and make some noise :cool: and give yourself a almighty headache in the process, now wheres that panadol, i know it was round here somewhere.................
Yea well I want them to look good to so might aswell atleast get them re-chromed. Not a big worry about that they are just held on by two metal clamp thingies so not alot of work taking them off. Might just do that and see what it sounds like see if I like it first.

Holy Roller
7th April 2005, 21:36
Looks like free flow pipes, like cobys. Should already have the awesome sound

Waylander
7th April 2005, 21:51
Looks like free flow pipes, like cobys. Should already have the awesome sound
Do sound very nice but I can't help wonder if they could be better. But since I have no idea what I'm talkin about I'll take your word for them bein as loud as they can be. If that is what you're sayin.