PDA

View Full Version : Who gives to charity?

rogson
26th August 2009, 20:21
Not me because I'm suspicious of the motives of those soliciting donations - and I'm sad its come to this.

Big Dave
26th August 2009, 20:32
I sling homeless folks $20 occasionally. If I'm going good. No middleman.

James Deuce
26th August 2009, 20:34
I don't like to talk about my work for charidee.

Big Dave
26th August 2009, 20:44
I don't like to talk about my work for charidee.

She wants to become a man....no sorry that's Chastity.

madmal64
26th August 2009, 21:01
Yep
Happy to do what I can when I can to help people/groups that I have some empathy with.
Also more than happy to say no to door knockers, collectors & telemarketers that come cap in hand to me.
I usually give at a local community level rather than national level as this is where I live and work and if it wasnt for this local community putting some of their earnings my way and keeping me in business I would be screwed and could easily be on the other side of the ledger.

Big Dave
26th August 2009, 21:09
I also support Cancer research by donating my time/camera services if it's a good cause. But that is more an investment.

ready4whatever
26th August 2009, 21:13
i buy lotto tickets that goes to charity apparently

NighthawkNZ
26th August 2009, 21:23
Im a charity case and give to myself

gatch
26th August 2009, 21:39
Yup, especially if the cheeky buggers send out kids with a collection bucket.

Fuckin works every time..

Blackshear
26th August 2009, 22:10
I pay part of the 16m to Samoa/Tonga each year.

ynot slow
26th August 2009, 22:10
Lotto at times,donation lol.

Cancer society,are bloody great when you need them,either the homes for treatment or homes for families to stay at when having surgery away from home.Also the relay for life and dafodil day,amazing volunteers these people.

Any appeal that is close to me,i.e at the Teams champs stockcars in Palmy this year a collection was going round the arena to raise money for Mick Ing who was badly injured at the NZ sidecar champs meeting earlier in the new year,funds to help him return to Brisbane for more surgery and his home.Watching the impact of a sidecar rig land on him,and another hit him was amazing he was alive.

Blackshear
26th August 2009, 22:11
Yup, especially if the cheeky buggers send out kids with a collection bucket.

Fuckin works every time..

Kids gotta learn the hard way, bro.
:innocent:

Mom
26th August 2009, 22:16
Dont be sceptical mate, educate yourself. Chasity begins at home.

mossy1200
26th August 2009, 22:20
The doco I watched a month ago showed that some charities only get 20% of your donation and the people they use to seek donations take huge percentages.

1wheel riot
26th August 2009, 22:25
i give shit loads of money to the goverment through speeding tickits that they give to blugers on the dol. dose that count?

Mully
26th August 2009, 22:31
Cancer society,are bloody great when you need them,either the homes for treatment or homes for families to stay at when having surgery away from home..

Our experience with the Cancer Society has actually been quite different to this

We generally give to causes that we believe in.

We flatly refused to donate to Telethon. I had my doubts about that charity prior to it.

I refuse to give money to the homeless, but I have bought meals for them (you'd be amazed how many "Starving" homeless people only want the money.....)

Ms Piggy
27th August 2009, 07:02
Not me because I'm suspicious of the motives of those soliciting donations - and I'm sad its come to this.

I give to a a regular amount to Oxfam http://www.oxfam.org.nz/index.asp

I do think it's very difficult that so much goes toward admin costs but the reality is that if any organisation (even a charity) is to be really effective they need good systems in place to operate.

I don't ever give to the people that cold call me or approach me on the street with a clip board but I usually give to the street collectors too.

p.dath
27th August 2009, 07:20
I used to more regularly donate to charities, but now I have stopped altogether.

I pretty much stopped when it got to the stage when I was getting a call from different charities every one to two weeks asking for money. I got sick of all the phone calls. Their incessant asking for money drove me to the point where I don't want to donate.
Luckily since the recession they have all but stoped.

Then you have charities that only pass on a small portion of the funds. Take Telethon. They collected $2m, but only passed on $400k to charities - a measely 20%. So they kept $1.6m for themselves for the running of it.

And then you consider that the Government donates funds to a whole lot of organisations - and that means we are already all donating since most of us pay tax in NZ.

slofox
27th August 2009, 07:30
I will donate product (usually stuff I can't sell...) to school fundraisers in my local area. But I tell all those who phone me up begging that "if I ever get my creditors paid, I will think about you..." And then I think "Fuck off".

Dooly
27th August 2009, 07:35
I donate to the local hospice.

I'm sure I'll get my money back in years ahead.:lol:

young1
27th August 2009, 07:42
Local rescue helicopter every year without fail, they help a lot of bikers.

Fatt Max
27th August 2009, 13:05
Yep, we give to Starship and I'm doing teh Oxfam trailwalk next year, paty of which is raising at least $2,500.

We used to give to some other charity (World Vision or something) but missed a donation one month beacuse we were skint. Next thing we know, this fucking woman is ringing us at all time of the day and night slagging us off and threateneing to send someone round to collect the money, just about had the missus in tears.

I told the slag to fuck off and finally got in touch with the charity CEO and gave her a blast as well, fuvking cheek...

So, only Starship, Oxfam plus the "I Survived 3 Weeks of Jeny Craig" focus group gets my donzai....

jim.cox
27th August 2009, 13:25
Local rescue helicopter

and sponsor a kid in Guatemala

plus a few others...

Nasty
27th August 2009, 13:38
Interesting to see that we all have such wide experiences ... I give to a number of charities ... Multiple Scleosis Society, Cystic Fibrosis NZ, Motor Neurone Foundation, Te Omanga Hospice, Mary Potter Hospice, Westpac Helicopter, Wellington Free Ambulance ... just to name a few ...thing is that each of those places has helped my family or myself out at different times .... or family are affected.

tri boy
27th August 2009, 14:00
Canteen + a few others.

nudemetalz
27th August 2009, 15:37
Sponsor a guide dog puppy.

cc rider
27th August 2009, 16:29
I donate to our firies (they saved family during the fires, so love them)
Also help out the vetenarians we use, with equipment etc.
Barnardos & Berry Street (helping abused children) will always have my support

EJK
27th August 2009, 16:34
I don't donate or give charity. I'd rather contribute and do it myself.

Because, honestly, I doubt some of them.

Hiflyer
27th August 2009, 16:45
I pay taxes, and this country is a blardy charity so that counts! :P

Mully
27th August 2009, 16:50
Sponsor a guide dog puppy.

D'ya get to BBQ it if it, ya know, fails the entrance test?