PDA

View Full Version : Hyosung 2010

ital916
28th August 2009, 08:59
Here are the pics of the hyosung 2010 range. Don't be haters lol, I think they look good, are priced well and with the addition of EFI should hopefully ride smoother. Even the wee 250 gets the EFI treatment.

Mmmm I do like the naked gt650.

ital916
28th August 2009, 09:00
and a few more and a nice article to go with i with more info in the EFI.

http://www.hyosung.com.au/downloads/articlepresenter-050809aspx.pdf

cambridgedan
28th August 2009, 09:29
funny how they have gone for a black exhaust trying to make it look like its not stock

nudemetalz
28th August 2009, 09:36
The dark silver/blue/black 650R model looks very smart.

EJK
28th August 2009, 10:06
That's an extreme improvement on design. I can't tell the difference between 06, 07, 08, and 09 models.

James Deuce
28th August 2009, 10:07
In my experience, bikes that change to EFI from carbs get rougher not smoother, due to the much leaner running conditions at all RPM. Stupid emissions laws.

I do like the black naked one.

phoenixgtr
28th August 2009, 10:15
That's an extreme improvement on design. I can't tell the difference between 06, 07, 08, and 09 models.

The tail light looks different...:rolleyes:

ital916
28th August 2009, 10:26

There are subtle changes, it is a nice looking range so why drastically alter it. You dont hear people complaining that mv agustas look the same year after year, so why should hyosung change drastically. It must cost a fortune in tooling costs to make huge changes so I'm guessing the shape will be gradually updated.

ital916
28th August 2009, 10:28
funny how they have gone for a black exhaust trying to make it look like its not stock

dosnt really matter, exhaust is usually the first thing that gets changed. Not as bad as some of the wierd exhaust designs by the big jap 4, hyosung obviously have a bit more conservative approach.

cambridgedan
28th August 2009, 10:32
dosnt really matter, exhaust is usually the first thing that gets changed. Not as bad as some of the wierd exhaust designs by the big jap 4, hyosung obviously have a bit more conservative approach.

yea ture ture

Leyton
28th August 2009, 10:53
Hyosung are really stepping up into the market well. I still like the styling!!! I would love to have a little GT250R again as a commuter

nosebleed
28th August 2009, 11:01
There are subtle changes, it is a nice looking range so why drastically alter it. You dont hear people complaining that mv agustas look the same year after year, so why should hyosung change drastically. It must cost a fortune in tooling costs to make huge changes so I'm guessing the shape will be gradually updated.

That might have more to do with the fact that italians actually have a sense of "style" whereas Hyosungs have as much design flair as the Kopu bridge.

tri boy
28th August 2009, 11:31
In my experience, bikes that change to EFI from carbs get rougher not smoother, due to the much leaner running conditions at all RPM. Stupid emissions laws.

I do like the black naked one.

I think the EFI was trialed in a few countries previously, and was found wanting in a few areas, so NZ and others countries didn't receive them.
Possibly the bugs have been removed, and the fuelling is pretty close.
Time will tell.

CookMySock
28th August 2009, 12:27
Smoothness - these carbed 650 engines are really tractable ay.. The power comes on gently in a newbie-friendly way. Sure, someone straight off a easy-peasy vtwin 250 should take care not to oops the throttle, but its much much less snarly and snatchy than the inline fours I have ridden. So it's an easy "big" bike to ride.

However, the first time you goose it though 5,000rpm you will think the windscreen is going to leap out, lol.

Yeah I'd buy a later model one, but I wouldn't buy a new one - too much depreciation.

edit: the only body change is the tail section, which is completely new.

Steve

retro asian
28th August 2009, 17:51
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=139725&d=1251406784

To a cruiser rider like myself, that "R" looks suspicously like a GSXR "R"... and a bit like a Honda (Civic) "R"...

Elysium
29th August 2009, 07:20
Well lets hope they sorted their blowing engine problems as well as other problems the bikes were known for.

James Deuce
29th August 2009, 08:51
Well lets hope they sorted their blowing engine problems as well as other problems the bikes were known for.

See this attuitude is starting to get on my tits. 25 years ago, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha all had sporting 250s that only got through 20,000 kms if they had a single, commited owner who really knew what they were doing. Luckily these young owners were usually endowed with a Dad who knew bikes and knew that these particular bikes needed religious maintenance and quality lubrication products.

25 years ago all these manufacturers had been in business far longer than Hyosung have been. You couldn't go on a n00b ride 25 years ago without an MVX 250 seizing the middle piston or an RG250 grinding to a halt because some egg forgot to put oil in the reservoir.

I have it on good authority that some people rode off on their Hyosung 250s, only to reappear with 12,000km (or more in one case) on the clock with no intervening oil change only to whinge blue murder about the destroyed crank bearings not being covered under warranty. It had no warranty. It's supposed to have had three oil changes by then.

The expectations of bike ownership are firmly rooted in the appliance corner now, and you're not expected to look after your bike and it is expected to just run and run. We can probably thank the US culture of suing manufacturers for the stupidest of things, but mark my hairy nostriled words, Hyosung are at a much better stage than any of the big 4 manufacturers were after 5 years of exporting product. Hell, what Honda did to itself with the first iteration of their much lauded V4 is still talked about today. Their reputation for reliability and build quality (starting to fade from what I can see) is built entirely around the fact that they built a bike way more unreliable than a Hyosung 250 after being in the business much longer and then had to over-engineer everything they made from then on.

Anything they built for the next twenty years after that incident was almost bullet-proof - except for the first batch of RC30s which were sent out with valve seats made of cheese. $6000 worth of stuff went into mine under warranty. Hyosung in 2009 are no where near as twitchy as Honda in 1989.

naphazoline
29th August 2009, 09:04
I believe that with all the new manufacturers floating around now,there will be some stiff competition for the big four in years to come.:clap:

Does Hyosung manufacture the engines, or does another company make the engines?

James Deuce
29th August 2009, 09:09
I believe that with all the new manufacturers floating around now,there will be some stiff competition for the big four in years to come.:clap:

Does Hyosung manufacture the engines, or does another company make the engines?

Hyosung started out making engines for Suzuki. They make their own engines.

jrandom
29th August 2009, 09:42
I went on a ride last weekend with a chap on a new Hyosung 650 cruiser.

He's a moderately accomplished road racer, and he made it go fast. Like, properly quick road riding. If I'd overtaken him, it would only have been a gratuitous display of having 50 more horse powers than he did. That cruiser boogied along real good.

Those Hobag 650 cruisers are a surprise. Horribly ugly, true, but about the same power and weight as an SV650, super comfy, and still possessing very reasonable ground clearance.

I wouldn't ever buy one, of course, but if I was in the market for a cruiser, and motorcycling wasn't all about the image, I might be tempted.

ital916
29th August 2009, 15:18
See this attuitude is starting to get on my tits. 25 years ago, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha all had sporting 250s that only got through 20,000 kms if they had a single, commited owner who really knew what they were doing. Luckily these young owners were usually endowed with a Dad who knew bikes and knew that these particular bikes needed religious maintenance and quality lubrication products.

25 years ago all these manufacturers had been in business far longer than Hyosung have been. You couldn't go on a n00b ride 25 years ago without an MVX 250 seizing the middle piston or an RG250 grinding to a halt because some egg forgot to put oil in the reservoir.

I have it on good authority that some people rode off on their Hyosung 250s, only to reappear with 12,000km (or more in one case) on the clock with no intervening oil change only to whinge blue murder about the destroyed crank bearings not being covered under warranty. It had no warranty. It's supposed to have had three oil changes by then.

The expectations of bike ownership are firmly rooted in the appliance corner now, and you're not expected to look after your bike and it is expected to just run and run. We can probably thank the US culture of suing manufacturers for the stupidest of things, but mark my hairy nostriled words, Hyosung are at a much better stage than any of the big 4 manufacturers were after 5 years of exporting product. Hell, what Honda did to itself with the first iteration of their much lauded V4 is still talked about today. Their reputation for reliability and build quality (starting to fade from what I can see) is built entirely around the fact that they built a bike way more unreliable than a Hyosung 250 after being in the business much longer and then had to over-engineer everything they made from then on.

Anything they built for the next twenty years after that incident was almost bullet-proof - except for the first batch of RC30s which were sent out with valve seats made of cheese. $6000 worth of stuff went into mine under warranty. Hyosung in 2009 are no where near as twitchy as Honda in 1989.

+1 :clap:, well said.

tri boy
29th August 2009, 15:29
Care to show a link/proof to how many engines have "blown up"?
JD hit the nail on the head. I did my time on Honda's, and still remember the VF/CBX750,550/MVXNSR/XR re,rf/and many more diabolical engine failures.
Big ends, cyl seizures, cams, tensioners, primary chains, clutch housings, etc etc etc.
If it wasn't for Honda's superb results in all facets of racing through the 70-80's, and that exposure and marketing, nobody would of bought much except for CT, TRX's and nifty fifties.
Rock on Hyosung NZ.

Bonez
29th August 2009, 19:03
Care to show a link/proof to how many engines have "blown up"?
JD hit the nail on the head. I did my time on Honda's, and still remember the VF/CBX750,550/MVXNSR/XR re,rf/and many more diabolical engine failures.
Big ends, cyl seizures, cams, tensioners, primary chains, clutch housings, etc etc etc.
If it wasn't for Honda's superb results in all facets of racing through the 70-80's, and that exposure and marketing, nobody would of bought much except for CT, TRX's and nifty fifties.
Rock on Hyosung NZ.You just had to metion the CBX750 didn't you:girlfight: Honda have always made things harder and more complicated than necessary. Two cam chains when one would do the job,RFVC , V-TEC bah blah etc ect ect.

tri boy
29th August 2009, 19:05
You'll be right bro.
I'm sure Honda chamferred the big end oil galleries on your crank properly:whistle:

Bonez
29th August 2009, 19:15
You'll be right bro.
I'm sure Honda chamferred the big end oil galleries on your crank properly:whistle:Swing arm bearings are clapped out at 45,000kms though.:argue: Honda seemed to have forgotten what grease nipples where used for for a bit.

James Deuce
29th August 2009, 19:23
Swing arm bearings are clapped out at 45,000kms though.:argue: Honda seemed to have forgotten what grease nipples where used for for a bit.

What do you mean "for a bit"?

The only new bikes I see grease nipples on are Guzzis.

trailblazer
29th August 2009, 19:44

very well said. It's good to see someone that doesn't own a hyosung sticking up for them :clap:

BIKEGAL68
29th August 2009, 23:00
I wish they had the grey an black bike out when i got mine.............. God its nice ....................

trailblazer
29th August 2009, 23:13
the orange and black ones look pretty good to. ;)

Pussy
30th August 2009, 15:05
I reckon they're nice looking machines.
Must have a scoot on one at some stage

disenfranchised
3rd September 2009, 19:12
I was quite interested a while ago when I saw a supposed image of the 2009 model 650R for Japan in this image floating around.

I'm beginning to suspect it was all a have though, as on the Japanese website, they don't even have any 650 models.

If it had been real, I would definitely still be considering Hyo when I upgrade. (I'll still try one of course)

AllanB
3rd September 2009, 20:11
That might have more to do with the fact that italians actually have a sense of "style" .

Sometimes.

The origami muffler on that new V4 Aprilia is bloody awful - they probably market it as 'Japanese styling' ha ha ha.

And Ducati's styling of their electrical wiring often appears to resemble a bowl of spaghetti being thrown over the frame......

Hyosung - probably a name that will be as common as any of the big makers in a decade or two.

325rocket
3rd September 2009, 20:23
Hyosung - probably a name that will be as common as any of the big makers in a decade or two.

I think you’re probably right but they new to update the look of their bikes. The first run of bikes was good (I thought anyway) but if they want to shake the “hyosung’s are crap” rep its time for an update. The stacked headlight has to go for one. They look good side on but from the front they already look out dated.

DarkLord
3rd September 2009, 22:24
Whatever happened to the supposed 1000cc V-twin they were supposed to be bringing out?

NighthawkNZ
3rd September 2009, 22:54
I will give Hyosung 5 years and they will be a major player, yes they have had a few teething issues, but as JD said all manufactures have had to go through this. Hyosung have been making a name for them self overseas, and apparently do well on the track as well.

Styling is each to there own whether they look good or not. I ride the other half's GT650 every so often... its a great bike, handles well (comparatively) its a good first big bike from the learners.

Creeping Death
3rd September 2009, 22:59
...like Samsung,those things will be everywhere.

CookMySock
4th September 2009, 07:22
Whatever happened to the supposed 1000cc V-twin they were supposed to be bringing out?And their RX450SM Supermoto.. lots of folks were looking forward to that.

They certainly entered the marketplace with a hell of a wallop, which is ten thousand times better an attempt than the chinks are making.

Steve

SS90
4th September 2009, 08:58
Interesting.

A hell of alot of Hyosung bashing goes on on this site, and it just seems more and more that it is not as well deserved as some would have us believe, infact, lately I read the thread on a 100,000KM old GT250R.....you know, I can't think of ONE VT250 (of any model year) that has seen those KM's.

Sure, it MUST have happened, but personally I have never seen (or heard) of such an example.

I don't particularly WANT a Hyosung, but in the future if Family etc force me to own a cheaper bike then I would opt for a second hand GT650 straight away!

CookMySock
4th September 2009, 09:41
The GT650 is probably the bike least ridden-by-the-masses in NZ, simply because there isn't that many of them. Everyone's ridden a gixxer, and less a ducat, but not a GT650. So it's easy to be disparaging about something one has never ridden.

I own one, and I don't really know any different. The only thing I really don't like about mine, is it's ability to handle square-edged bumps. Other than that, its a barrel of laughs.

If people want to ride with me and trade turns on bikes, I'd be keen. Mostly. Case by case basis I guess. I let one bloke ride it and he complained how badly it handled on gravel.. fucken arse I almost wet myself - not keen on that again.

Steve