PDA

View Full Version : 2002 honda vt 250 fault

hospitalfood
28th August 2009, 18:16
hey folks.

my partners bike ( 2002 honda vt 250 ) has an issue, its ignition system cuts out for no apparent reason and the temp light comes on, sometimes it kicks back in immediately but other times it stays cut for a while. when this happens everything else works fine. no blown fuses or anything obvious.

highly unlikely it is to hot, in other words its not.

not sure which sensor is telling bike to stop, not even sure it is a sensor based issue?

have looked about for lose connections etc but no luck.

anyone no which sensor it might be ( and where it is located ) or anything else that might help.

cheers

steve_t
28th August 2009, 18:27
Have u checked the battery/charging system?

hospitalfood
28th August 2009, 18:30
no, but i think it is unlikely that would be the issue, nothing to indicate that has any problems.

MSTRS
29th August 2009, 09:53
I doubt that a VTR250 has sensors of the sort that would cut ignition. More likely to be a faulty connection, on battery or elsewhere, or a bad earth.

hospitalfood
29th August 2009, 09:54
or a bad earth.

very possible

notme
30th August 2009, 11:15
Might sound like a silly question, but does the temp light actually mean overtemp or is it a general warning light? if you run the engine then flick the kill switch does the temp light come on in the same way as when the problem occurs?

I spent a long time tracking down an oil sensor issue that was causing a cut out on a CBR600RR, and it turned out to be a corroded battery positive cable. Found it by noticing that when the kill switch was flicked, the oil pressure indicator was the first thing to light up...so the problem may be your ignition system losing power, and nothing to do with temp.

hospitalfood
30th August 2009, 12:01
think the temp light is general warning.

had a good look at it yesterday, found an (earth? ) link at the back under the seat, there are 2 plugs there with a link between them, suggested to me that the loom could take another gadget back there ( possibly the loom is common to a few models ). anyway, did not have a gadget, just a wire between the 2 plugs, with a decent wiggle it would cut the engine in the same manner as the fault. I have improved the connections with the link and so far have not had it cut out again, so fingers crossed..........