PDA

View Full Version : Deciding between a CBR600 and an SV650

sturm
31st August 2009, 07:29
Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I am trying to decide between a CBR600 and an SV650. Ive been riding for ~5 years, the last bike I had was a 2000 zx6r which felt too race focused for my riding. (I lowsided it around a roundabout, and haven't ridden for a couple of years).

Im now pretty keen to jump back on, and I've narrowed it down to either an older CBR (the F3/F4 should be a bit more comfy than the ZX), or a newer SV650. Theres tons of great reviews of the SV, but im worried about the lack of windscreen, and the 30hp less power than a 4cyl 600.

Ive seen a CBR600F3 on trademe. It has a full akropovic exhaust (incl headers) and a k&n filter. What effect would that have on performance (would it kill the mid-range torque?)

Has anyone ridden either of these bikes?
cheers!

popa griffin
31st August 2009, 07:35
It doesnt matter how much horsepowers you have. You can only go as fast as the speed limit anyways.

Id pick the CBR over the SV simply for the looks.

But thats me personally.

javawocky
31st August 2009, 07:46
Mmmm, what is the really problem here? If you low-sided is it because the turning circle on the ZX6r was too big? Did you hand slip and unleash the fully power of the mighty quacker? Did you hit some oil or was it raining?

'Cause although both the SV650 and CBR are no match for a ZX6r I don't think they are that much different for general every day situations.

You need to identify what the problem was and fix it with the right bike. If a more commuter friendly bike is what you need, then take a look at something like this perhaps... http://www.suzuki.co.nz/Motorcycle/Street/GSX650F/

An alternative might be to get the SV and put high clip ons to give you better control at low speeds.

Your thoughts?

CookMySock
31st August 2009, 07:52
I am trying to decide between a CBR600 and an SV650. Ive been riding for ~5 years, the last bike I had was a 2000 zx6r which felt too race focused for my riding. [....] Has anyone ridden either of these bikes?Have you not ridden a vtwin? If you do, the difference between the bikes will be instantly clear to you. There are SV650s everywhere (or other mid-range vtwins) so get on one right away and you will see.

Steve

R6_kid
31st August 2009, 07:57
Try a Yamaha TRX850. Feels like a 400cc bike but with 80N/m of torque to push you around. Rev's like an inline four but with the rumble of a v-twin due to the 270 degree crank setup on the twin cylinder engine.

It doesnt matter how much horsepowers you have. You can only go as fast as the speed limit anyways.
Once you've had more than 100hp it's hard to believe that sentiment. You may settle for less, but you'll do anything to avoid going back to anything that will now feel underpowered. Torque is where it's at... horsepower is simply an engines ability to convert torque in to power by way of rpm. Lots of torque means good ridability, if you're low on torque then your engine will most likely make up for it bay way of high rpm's in order to achieve a decent peak amount of 'horsepower' usually distributed over a short engine rpm range.

Also, the sign doesn't stop your bike exceeding the speed, your right wrist does.

Maki
31st August 2009, 08:06
I thought a CBR600 is "race focused".

slofox
31st August 2009, 08:07
The SV is a LOT more economical than the CBR...it is also capable of ~ 200km/hr if you really want to go that fast despite its lower power rating.

I have the SVS with the clip-ons and rearsets and think its pretty good for what I want. I will find it hard to replace when the time comes.

sturm
31st August 2009, 08:12
javawocky - Ever since I got the zx6r it felt unstable. Like when turning in, it would immediately feel like it was about to tip over. It wasnt progressive, it was a sudden lurch. Round the roundabout, going slowly, it tipped over too far and the front skidded out. Luckily a rider on an old BMW helped me pick up the pieces and get it started again :)

Maybe the previous owner had jacked the suspension up at the back? I probably didnt have enough of a test ride before buying it. I did a good amount of 'fast' twisty riding on the fzr250r I had before, and it never felt like that.

No, i havent ridden a vtwin yet. Its on my todo list though :) Whats the best way to get some test rides? Im looking private sale but feel a bit dodgy going and riding someones bike unless theres a chance I might buy it.

Morcs
31st August 2009, 08:33
The SV650 will seem slow compared to an F3/F4 CBR.

Both the F3 and F4 are sports tourers and very comfortable.

javawocky
31st August 2009, 09:22
javawocky - Ever since I got the zx6r it felt unstable. Like when turning in, it would immediately feel like it was about to tip over. It wasnt progressive, it was a sudden lurch.

I haven't ridden a zx6r but I rode an old zx 900 (can't remember the model exactly). On a slow left turn I almost pooped myself when it felt like it was going to low side. I thought it was just my inexperience at the time.

Fast forward to my SV1kS and it feels completely stable under all situations. I only once had a near oopsy moment the other day on a very slow right hander of camber when I wasn't concentrating on my riding and tried to take to corner with too much lean at a slow speed, I dabbed my foot for safety and pulled it upright. Would have been one of those true Doh moments if I had come off at 2km/h

I also test rode a GSXR600 and that was also very stable at any speed. If it wasn't for the cramped up style I might have bought one.

p.dath
31st August 2009, 09:29
I haven't ridden an SV650, but I do have a CBR600F.

It has plenty of power for me (not that I have ever got close to unleashing it). I've found it a pleasure to ride. It is very forgiving of mistakes.

The CBR's have a history of being very reliable bike's, tend to last a long time, and getting parts for them is easy.

javawocky
31st August 2009, 09:32
I haven't ridden an SV650, but I do have a CBR600F.

It has plenty of power for me (not that I have ever got close to unleashing it). I've found it a pleasure to ride. It is very forgiving of mistakes.

The CBR's have a history of being very reliable bike's, tend to last a long time, and getting parts for them is easy.

At the risk of sounding gay :Pokey: I had a cbr600f for a day as a loaner bike. I really enjoyed it as well, very user friendly.

Mystic13
31st August 2009, 09:44
gay.:mellow:

Mystic13
31st August 2009, 09:57
If you found the ZXR too raced focused then it seems either of the bikes you mention will be less so.

I'd wander out to a dealer and take the bikes for a ride.

After coming off I would have preferred to have continued riding till confident again.

Some bikes are really well balanced and others not so great. Having said that a quick turning bike can be a good thing.

Someone here spoke of pressing the foot (I assume brake) when they were too low.

I would think you'd want to;

a/ hit the throttle because that'll pull the bike up.

b/ countersteer it up.

A quick ride on either isn't going to let you know what the bike is like after a 2 year break.

For what it's worth I'd practise riding skills when you get the bike;

- counter steering,
- practise increasing turn in speed, you should be able to dive the bike down quick to the point you shoot around the corner at and pop it out quick.

From what you are saying it's not so much the bike but your lack of confidence in taking a corner and controlling the bike through the steering and accelerator. I wouldn't have considered using brakes in that situation.

Sounds like the low side was not a loss of traction due to speed and road surface but more you took the bike down past the point of no return. If you were decelerating you would also be loading up the front which wouldn't help.

After a crash I find it useful to reflect on how I did what I did and then making changes so that doesn't occur next time.

phoenixgtr
31st August 2009, 09:58
Sounds to me like it wasn't the sportyness of the ZX that was really the problem. I have a 99 ZX-6R and to be honest, as far as sports bikes go it's on the more comfortable road-going end of the scale. BUT I know what you're saying with the roundabout thing. The ZX is not confidence inspiring at low speeds at all. I've low-sided mine. They seem to be quite top heavy and seem to fall into the low speed corners, requiring a special riding style.

As for a CBR F3 vs a SV, you just need to ride some. The CBR will be quite alot like the ZX, but the SV will be completly different, especially the engine. A v-twin is a different kettle of fish. You may find it boring. You may love it. My better half has a SV650S. I find it dull...

javawocky
31st August 2009, 10:04
Someone here spoke of pressing the foot (I assume brake) when they were too low.

If you are referring to me it was one of these super slow brain fart :blink: moments where the bike almost stalled. I dabbed my foot on the road, but it wasn't need as there was more than enough grip. I used to do the MX thing so the foot goes out :P - I see Rossi is starting to catch on now as well.

But yes, dabbing the back brake on a slow right hander would be very silly. I have a big v twin anyway, the back brake is purely for show :shifty:

Mystic13
31st August 2009, 10:15
Riden both. Both are great and it'll come down to personal preference.

The SV has a broad power band and torque so you can even been in too high a gear and still ride a corner. It's more forgiving. The CBR is bullet proof.

I prefer the 4's for sound and feel but we're talking personal preference. I prefer the twin for it's broad range of torque. I prefer a fairing.

People who own both bikes rave about them.

325rocket
31st August 2009, 10:16
you might want to look at the SV1000 as well.

Mystic13
31st August 2009, 10:36
If you are referring to me it was one of these super slow brain fart :blink: moments where the bike almost stalled. I dabbed my foot on the road, but it wasn't need as there was more than enough grip. I used to do the MX thing so the foot goes out :P - I see Rossi is starting to catch on now as well.

But yes, dabbing the back brake on a slow right hander would be very silly. I have a big v twin anyway, the back brake is purely for show :shifty:

Yep, twas you. So dabbing the foot on the road was what you meant. Not a bad idea.

I've done that twice, on road. Once on black ice and I kept my leg down. From behind I looked like a tripod sliding sideways.

I've almost low sided at full speed around a corner. Loss of traction, time slows right down, the bike gets past that point of no return and you know you're going for a slide, make the decision to kick it up, the bike pops up, you're heading for a high-side, you glance across and look where you're going to land, think about how you might fly through the air, continue to hold on and keep the throttle on, the bike shakes violently and the shakes diminish as you continue riding off. Time returns to normal speed. I returned to figure out how I loss traction and discovered the strip of seal across the corner was in fact compacted metal packed to the level of the road.

Foot down can have it's uses. I ended up with a small bruise on my inner leg as it hit the bike.

Sturm - If you lived in Auckland I'd lend you a bike to try.

sturm
31st August 2009, 12:48
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like ill be hitting up some bike shops around wellington in the weekend :)

So having a full aftermarket exhaust system shouldnt cause any noticable reduction in the mid-range? Anything to look for when/if I go to see the CBR? Its the 1997 FV model. On paper it seems pretty similar spec to the ZX, but according to the reviews, more forgiving.

I bought the ZX in Christchurch. I rode down from welly on saturday on the 250, rode back on sunday on the ZX. The ride back changed my perception of space/time! Like pulling out to pass a couple of cars in a long queue behind a truck, and ending up passing the whole queue and truck and still having tons of straight clear road ahead. Crazy stuff.

Kinje
31st August 2009, 12:49
It probably depends a lot on whether you like the IL4 of V2 engine style.

My mate has a 02 CBR 600 F4I for sale in Wellington. It's a great bike that gets up and goes as well as the RR but is a bit more comfy riding position.

sturm
31st August 2009, 13:00
Oh yeah? Is it on trademe? How much does he want for it? Flick me a link/email address :)

Kinje
31st August 2009, 13:14
Not sure of TM address, can't get it at work :(

Try sending him a pm _intense_ (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=4617) and I'll tell him you're going to get in touch.

CookMySock
31st August 2009, 13:22
Ever since I got the zx6r it felt unstable. Like when turning in, it would immediately feel like it was about to tip over. It wasnt progressive, it was a sudden lurch.This was happening a lot for me - sudden and scary tip-in during cornering. I was holding the bars too firmly, and leaning on them.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=70800

Once you bar-push firmly, especially at low speeds, you have to release the pressure and allow the bars to turn inward, or else you get a very sudden and alarming avalanche of tip-in.

That is, you must apply a positive pressure and then allow the negative displacement to follow. If you hold the bars rigidly, the positive pressure is applied more in the manner of "a positive displacement" and the bars will push back hard against you, and as you resist them you cause an additional and inadvertent dive inwards.

I had to sit further back and take all my weight off the bars, and steer gently with slack wrists or shoulders and elbows. Now it tracks nicely, and is perfectly stable leaned over. I can further add bar-pressure left or right, and steer comfortably.

HTH,
Steve

Muppet
31st August 2009, 14:19
The SV is a LOT more economical than the CBR...it is also capable of ~ 200km/hr if you really want to go that fast despite its lower power rating.

I have the SVS with the clip-ons and rearsets and think its pretty good for what I want. I will find it hard to replace when the time comes.

How do you find your SV? Have you ridden more powerful bikes etc Is the SV enough for commuting, touring etc How many km's do you get from a tank? I hear the 650 is a much better bike than the sv1000s. Can you let me know what you think, cheers.

grbaker
31st August 2009, 14:28
I actuallly had a 1999 SV650S and a ZX6R 2001 at the same time, but can't help you on the older CBR600 F3/F4... never been attracted to many Honda's.

For road use around the ever so bumpy roads in Wellington, the Hutt and the other place of the hill, the SV650S was much better. Hit a pothole mid-corner... so what, that is what suspension is for. In truth I had the local Suzuki dealer put heavy weight fork oil in the front suspension to stiffen it a little.

The ZX6R was great on the motorway, but it stiff suspension was a real pain on the rougher rural roads, holding a line whilst bashing into the corners bumps was quite hard.

As for performance the SV engine is really nice... it may not be the screamer the CBR or ZX6R are but the power is delivered strongly and can punch of the line once you know how.

My advise... test ride them both and pick the one you like.

slofox
31st August 2009, 14:54
How do you find your SV? Have you ridden more powerful bikes etc Is the SV enough for commuting, touring etc How many km's do you get from a tank? I hear the 650 is a much better bike than the sv1000s. Can you let me know what you think, cheers.

How do I find the SV? Usually I just open the garage and there it is.....(sorry, couldn't resist that...)

Seriously. I do enjoy the SVS. I have put race tech emulators and springs in the front to good effect. I have yet to do the rear but maybe one day. I have put a Two Brothers slipon on as well to make it sound more like a V twin and less like a sewing machine. Oh and Michelin PR2's made a dramatic difference to handling as well.

More powerful bikes? In fact, bikes I rode in the past probably had LESS power despite being rated "powerful" bikes in their day. Standards change...The V-Twin power spread is wide and very well behaved. The Two Bros can probably widens it a little as well but the OEM can is fine too. I have not ridden an IL4 in many many years...no experience of a modern litre IL4. Overall I would say that the SV's power to weight ratio is fine. It can certainly kick you up the arse if you ask it to.

Generally get 350km+ on a tank of gas. I have kept fuel records from new and can get anything from 58 - 64 mpg in old money (20 - 25 km/l). Depends on how you control your right wrist...I run it on Gull Force 10. You ought, in theory, to get even more mpg from a non ethanol blend. The Two Bros can increases fuel consumption a little (lose about 2 km/l)

Frame is excellent - cornering stability is tops compared with what I used to ride. No flex at all. As someone has said, hit a bump mid corner? No big deal. Have run through a diesel spill (small) with only a little sidestep as a result. Same with scattered loose metal on the corner - some sidestep but no dramatic stuff. Keep your nerve and it behaves very politely. Ridden (very carefully I might add) through road ice with no ill effects. Very nimble bike, light, flickable and responsive. Hard to break the grip with available power - you can wrap it on without fear. Unless the road is totally slippery I suppose but I have never tried that anyway.

I can commute comfortably on it and I have ridden it from Hamiltron, round Lake Taupo and back (465km) in six and a half hours without major discomfort. And I am old as buggery to boot.

I too have heard that the 650 is a "better" bike than the thou whatever that means. Not ridden the thou so can't say, but it was originally designed as the 650 so I daresay the package was originally the 650 so maybe better overall balance etc.

I've had this bike 17 months now and still think it's pretty cool to ride. As all the reviews say, it is totally fun to ride. Specially if you do the mods to the suspension.

Sparky Bills
31st August 2009, 15:09
Buy a Honda. Its that simple.

javawocky
31st August 2009, 15:45
For commuting my SV1ks will get about 180-200km before fuel light comes on - about the same as my old RG150 :P
Cost about $21-$23 to fill up, I haven't done a proper MPG yet.

Obviously open road riding produces better economy. Haven't done a long enough stretch of pure motorway to give you an idea of this, always riding B roads :Punk:

mister.koz
31st August 2009, 16:01
From watching people ride the sv's and riding IL4's myself (zxr250, zx6rr, zx10-r) i don't think they can be compared.

Totally different benefits and downsides and the torque vs hp debarcle just makes it more complicated, don't worry about the stats or what the books say, it ALWAYS comes down to the feeling of a bike and how it's dynamic suits you.

Balance and turn-in are effected completely by the rider and how you ride and that effect varies from bike to bike. I found my zx10 way easier to handle than my zx6... it turns tighter, its progression in any direction is smoother and more predictable.. go figure?

There's also a massive diversity in models every year, aparently my zx6rr (2005) was nothing at all like the 2003..

All good advice aside, take them for a spin, its the best answer :)

steelestring
31st August 2009, 16:12
So does that mean you should consider another kawa?

hmmmm zx10 aye :innocent:

Morcs
31st August 2009, 16:13
I hate it when people talk about torquey bikes such as twins and refer to IL4s as not being torquey - Horsepower is a product of torque x engine speed. A bike with more hp has more torque. :P

The Honda is a well made, reliable bike.
The suzuki is a suzuki and its budget was tighter.

Youd be better off comparing the sv1000 to a cbr600. Even then a 4 is better. Lighter, shorter wheelbase, smoother etc..

mister.koz
31st August 2009, 16:18
So does that mean you should consider another kawa?

hmmmm zx10 aye :innocent:

Green is good, i am a self-proclaimed kwaka nut :love: but hey once again everyone's got their own preference.

I got lots of mates who are happy on their twin sv's, firestorms, hysungs, aprillia, dukati's and even tripple trumpy's and they wouldn't trade them for anything :)

xxcbr69xx
31st August 2009, 17:07
Yep CBR600F3 is the pick of that bunch, one of the best allrounders of all time! :done:

steelestring
31st August 2009, 17:48
Green is good, i am a self-proclaimed kwaka nut :love: but hey once again everyone's got their own preference.

I got lots of mates who are happy on their twin sv's, firestorms, hysungs, aprillia, dukati's and even tripple trumpy's and they wouldn't trade them for anything :)

I did find myself falling in love with unrealeone's rsv on saturday :shit:
Comfy as hell and that intoxicating thunder that you feel in your chest is amazing!! I think the a big plus about the twins is how narrow the bike is also... it just feels lean and mean:2guns:

erik
31st August 2009, 20:44
I hate it when people talk about torquey bikes such as twins and refer to IL4s as not being torquey - Horsepower is a product of torque x engine speed. A bike with more hp has more torque. :P

Not true, it's possible for an engine to produce low torque over its rev range, but high power at high revs compared to an engine that produced heaps of torque at lower revs but couldn't rev very high.

Wiki Drifter
31st August 2009, 20:50
Never ridden a cbr600f, but I've test ridden the SV650s and ER-6F (07 & 09 models). So this is my useless comparison between the two:

SV pros:

-Light weight
-Good handling
-Nice sound
-Cheaper

SV cons:

-Can't think of any serious ones, quite impressed with the SV. :shifty:

ER (09) pros:

-Good handling
-Engine felt more torquey than the SV
-Has fuel gauge but hate the digital rev counter
-Very upright seating, so will be less tiring than the SV for long rides?*

ER cons:

-Weak brakes
-Heavier compared to SV, although both are light bikes.
-Several thousand $ more expensive than the SV.
*Seat padding made out of wood. This seem to be the case on all the Kawas I've ridden 6R, 10R, Z-1000...

Overall I thought the SV650s was better than the ER. Instead of the naked the SV, you can have a look at the SV650s which all have screens. Just test ride both the CBR and SV and choose your favourite. :done:

Someone mentioned the TRX850, definitely an under-rated bike, rides a lot better than it looks.

Muppet
1st September 2009, 07:59
How do I find the SV? Usually I just open the garage and there it is.....(sorry, couldn't resist that...)

Seriously. I do enjoy the SVS. I have put race tech emulators and springs in the front to good effect. I have yet to do the rear but maybe one day. I have put a Two Brothers slipon on as well to make it sound more like a V twin and less like a sewing machine. Oh and Michelin PR2's made a dramatic difference to handling as well.

More powerful bikes? In fact, bikes I rode in the past probably had LESS power despite being rated "powerful" bikes in their day. Standards change...The V-Twin power spread is wide and very well behaved. The Two Bros can probably widens it a little as well but the OEM can is fine too. I have not ridden an IL4 in many many years...no experience of a modern litre IL4. Overall I would say that the power to weight ratio is fine. It can certainly kick you up the arse if you ask it to.

Generally get 350km+ on a tank of gas. I have kept fuel records from new and can get anything from 58 - 64 mpg in old money (20 - 25 km/l). Depends on how you control your right wrist...I run it on Gull Force 10. You ought, in theory, to get even more mpg from a non ethanol blend. The Two Bros can increases fuel consumption a little (about 2 km/l)

Frame is excellent - cornering stability is tops compared with what I used to ride. No flex at all. As someone has said, hit a bump mid corner? No big deal. Have run through a diesel spill (small) with only a little sidestep as a result. Same with scattered loose metal on the corner - some sidestep but no dramatic stuff. Keep your nerve and it behaves very politely. Ridden (very carefully I might add) through road ice with no ill effects. Very nimble bike, light, flickable and responsive. Hard to break the grip with available power - you can wrap it on without fear. Unless the road is totally slippery I suppose but I have never tried that anyway.

I can commute comfortably on it and I have ridden it from Hamiltron, round Lake Taupo and back (465km) in six and a half hours without major discomfort. And I am old as buggery to boot.

I too have heard that the 650 is a "better" bike than the thou whatever that means. Not ridden a thou so can't say, but it was originally designed as the 650 so I daresay the package was originally the 650 so maybe better overall balance etc.

I've had this bike 17 months now and still think it's pretty cool to ride. As all the reviews say, it is totally fun to ride. Specially if you do the mods to the suspension.

Hey thanks for that, what you've said is very helpful, the tank range is quite impressive, I used to own a cbr600fm and took a ride on a 99 sv650 and liked it quite a bit. The larger bikes I've owned are often too much for the road, whereas the mid range jobs are brilliant. Hmmmmm...................

mister.koz
1st September 2009, 08:47
Not true, it's possible for an engine to produce low torque over its rev range, but high power at high revs compared to an engine that produced heaps of torque at lower revs but couldn't rev very high.

Torque vs horsepower is irrelevant, my IL4's got plenty of torque down low and enough hp to lift the front at slow, quick, silly and stupid speeds.

Its the feel. Search for torque vs hp in the threads, there's some really good stuff in here that both proves and disproves allot of things.

Its the feeling, not the stats.

BigOne
1st September 2009, 22:03
Ive never had a small/medium IL4, but I did have a SV650 K2 naked for 5yrs, and it rocked. I did the forks and it had an Ohlins rear, and there was almost nothing could match it on hills and twisties, but it could keep up with the bigger bikes pretty well too.
The engine was just huge fun, better torque than an IL4 down low, but bloody willing if I wanted to absolutely thrash it, too. With good tyres I could use WOT out of corners, without fear of it un-hooking. With a worked over suspension, they are hard to beat. We have a SV thou in the family too, but I preferred the 650. I ride a 1400 now, but I miss the banana.

bounce
1st September 2009, 23:48
just adding 2 cents regarding the old zx6r you rode. worn tyres that are out of round or badly setup suspension will both make the bike feel diabolical in the corners. I have ridden my own zx with incorrect setup suspension wise and cannot believe how bad it can be. Maybe try another bike before writing off sportsbikes, you may find another that feels spot on for you.
good luck with your decision.

slofox
2nd September 2009, 13:10
Hard to break the grip with available power - you can wrap it on without fear. Unless the road is totally slippery I suppose but I have never tried that anyway.

Well...correction to that. I did just that this morning - wrapped it on on a wet road - while on a shiny patch in fact. And yes, the grip did break briefly. But, once again, no drama. A little flick of the tail and it bit back in and away we went without mishap. Very forgiving machine.

slofox
2nd September 2009, 13:11
just adding 2 cents regarding the old zx6r you rode. worn tyres that are out of round or badly setup suspension will both make the bike feel diabolical in the corners. I have ridden my own zx with incorrect setup suspension wise and cannot believe how bad it can be. Maybe try another bike before writing off sportsbikes, you may find another that feels spot on for you.
good luck with your decision.

Agree with this - especially the tyre bit - had the same experience on the SVS just prior to putting new ones on.

wysper
2nd September 2009, 16:49
Ive never had a small/medium IL4, but I did have a SV650 K2 naked for 5yrs, and it rocked. I did the forks and it had an Ohlins rear, and there was almost nothing could match it on hills and twisties, but it could keep up with the bigger bikes pretty well too.
The engine was just huge fun, better torque than an IL4 down low, but bloody willing if I wanted to absolutely thrash it, too. With good tyres I could use WOT out of corners, without fear of it un-hooking. With a worked over suspension, they are hard to beat. We have a SV thou in the family too, but I preferred the 650. I ride a 1400 now, but I miss the banana.

Funny you should say that, I am on a SV650, came with in a gnats whisker of buying a GSX1400 yesterday before realising I couldn't really afford it. I tried a VTR1000 but prefered the 650. So now will probably keep the SV for another couple of years. I will do the suspension and pimp it a little. I love it.

BigOne
2nd September 2009, 23:35
Funny you should say that, I am on a SV650, came with in a gnats whisker of buying a GSX1400 yesterday before realising I couldn't really afford it. I tried a VTR1000 but prefered the 650. So now will probably keep the SV for another couple of years. I will do the suspension and pimp it a little. I love it.

Hi Wysper,
I'd still have the 650 nekid if I hadn't hi sided it on the Hill, and trashed it. Hot tar.
There is sooo much you can do with the 650. Send the forks to Robert Taylor, for emulators, and get a decent rear shock. Ohlins ARE the best, but there are lots of good options that are cheaper.
If you want, PM me, and jack up a time for a good yack. Check out SoCalSVRider, and SVDown Under, both worth a good long trawl.
I have some stuff left over that you'd find useful, too, jets, crash bobbins, a rad guard, etc. I even did a front end swap from a SRAD GSX1000. I have the full Manual, too. Could cut it to a CD for ya.
Save the 14 for later. You'll like that, too.

fastegg
14th September 2009, 15:35
Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I am trying to decide between a CBR600 and an SV650. Ive been riding for ~5 years, the last bike I had was a 2000 zx6r which felt too race focused for my riding. (I lowsided it around a roundabout, and haven't ridden for a couple of years).

Im now pretty keen to jump back on, and I've narrowed it down to either an older CBR (the F3/F4 should be a bit more comfy than the ZX), or a newer SV650. Theres tons of great reviews of the SV, but im worried about the lack of windscreen, and the 30hp less power than a 4cyl 600.

Ive seen a CBR600F3 on trademe. It has a full akropovic exhaust (incl headers) and a k&n filter. What effect would that have on performance (would it kill the mid-range torque?)

cheers!

i have a 2004 SV650 and have owned a previous model CBR and would have an SV over the CBR anyday.....there heaps of fun and you'll never get sick of it..... mine's got factory pro velocity stacks (+4hp) removed intake snorkel, K&N, full yoshi system and power comander PC3.... 73rwhp.. also fitted GSXR-600 rear shock and straight wound fork springs... you'll never want to sell it... i have a 3mm OS wiseco piston kit (694cc)going in soon.. and if i can get the money a falicon strocker crankshaft (750cc) its a grrreat toy.....

fastegg
14th September 2009, 15:47

cheers!

i have a 2004 SV650 and have owned a previous model CBR and would have an SV over the CBR anyday.....there heaps of fun and you'll never get sick of it..... mine's got factory pro velocity stacks (+4hp) removed intake snorkel, K&N, full yoshi system and power comander PC3.... 73rwhp.. also fitted GSXR-600 rear shock and straight wound fork springs... you'll never want to sell it... i have a 3mm OS wiseco piston kit (694cc)going in soon.. and if i can get the money a falicon strocker crankshaft (750cc) its a grrreat toy.....