PDA

View Full Version : So what would YOU do about the dog?

slofox
2nd September 2009, 18:01
There's a dog lives across the gully from me. It barks. All day while its people are away working.

This doesn't worry me at all because I am away at work as well. I only hear it during the time between them leaving and me leaving. And most of that time I am out biking anyway...

Some of my neighbours listen to it a lot more than I do. And some of them want to get the council involved. My own reaction is against this in the first instance since it is possible and maybe even probable that the owners of the dog don't know it barks while they are away. Someone ought to go tell them before they sic the animal control goons on them. (Yes, some of them here ARE goons...)

Recently, on two separate occasions, the dog has yowled and howled at night, sounding rather distressed - unlike its daytime noise which is just plain ole barking...albeit bloody annoying if you hear it all day long.

Which brings me to the point of wondering if maybe the neighbours have a point about the dog controllers. When I hear the night-time stuff I wonder if the dog is in pain or neglected or just what.

I don't feel it is my place to intervene since it causes me no grief. But the doubt as to the welfare of the dog is niggling away...

What would you do?

AllanB
2nd September 2009, 18:03
Just organise a street party and EAT it.

slofox
2nd September 2009, 18:14
Just organise a street party and EAT it.

Errmmm - no Tongans locally else the problem wouldn't be there eh?

vifferman
2nd September 2009, 18:15
They may well not realise, and apparently it's something that the dog can be trained to not do. OTOH, if you tell them, they may get very shitty and defensive. Still better to tell them in case they don't know.

Gremlin
2nd September 2009, 18:21
I'm all for going over and speaking to them first.

Sure, if they tell you where to shove your comments, you respond in kind.

Hopefully, they will be receptive, and you go from there. Just remember to try and explain your point of view in a calm way, without shouting/accusing etc.

duckonin
2nd September 2009, 18:38
Go and tell them slofox,as you could well be right ...They are not aware it barks when they are not home, after that (dog control) with no doubt..

Now whilst you say the barking does not annoy you, it must be having an effect, as this is the start "you have focused enough to broach the subject"..

slofox
2nd September 2009, 18:41
Go and tell them slofox,as you could well be right ...They are not aware it barks when they are not home, after that (dog control) with no doubt..

Now whilst you say the barking does not annoy you, it must be having an effect, as this is the start "you have focused enough to broach the subject"..

What really had the effect was the neighbours talking about getting dog control involved....but yeah, guess I will have to mosey on over one morning and tell 'em the locals are gonna sic the law on 'em...the dude drives a WRX...dunno whether that's a good or bad sign...

Gareth123
2nd September 2009, 18:43
Dogs bark all day because they're locked up and miserable. They're only telling the world how miserable they are. There was an article about lazy dog owners getting their dogs debarked because they couldn't be bothered looking after them properly. Front page of the press a few days ago.

Sidewinder
2nd September 2009, 18:46
get a .22:ar15::ar15:

dangerous
2nd September 2009, 18:52
OK... look I am guilty to having a dog that barks when Im at work.
Now 1st up Im glad to hear comments re, letting the owner know 1st. The dogs likely to be a youngen and lonely, not its fault and not something the owner can help if he is unawear.

I had a local snitch on me to the council I was pissed at the warning I got and went door knocking till I found whom complained. Well what ya know the complaines were the new locals and it seems their cat sits across the road bating the dogs... all anamal nature.

All this dober needed to do was let me know and I would have sorted the problem (let the staffie deal to the cat LOL) but no now I have a complaint on the dogs records for keeps.

Speak to the owner and if he is reasonble then he will sort it out, cos if ya dont know how can you fix it.

The Dobie was the barker the Stafie the acomplis the XN still silenced.

get a .22:ar15::ar15: not nice

Dogs bark all day because they're locked up and miserable. They're only telling the world how miserable they are. There was an article about lazy dog owners getting their dogs debarked because they couldn't be bothered looking after them properly. Front page of the press a few days ago. yip ya right there... as for the debarking thing, farking discusting, if docking is to be baned then so should that shit.

CookMySock
2nd September 2009, 18:53
I'm all for going over and speaking to them first. [...] Hopefully, they will be receptive..That rarely works out, and if you're unlucky you will then have a hostile neighbor.

I'd just report it to the council. Council will take a fair approach if its a first-time complaint.

Steve

no_8wire
2nd September 2009, 18:54
Also, make a big effort to correctly identify which house it is coming from.
I know from experience I did not appreciate when confronted with an anger neighbour claiming my dog had been barking all day. (Which it hadnt, I was home all day that particular day). Who when confront with this fact went on to say instead that they barked all day at other times. (in fact was dogs further up the valley)

1st - Find were the dog is from/house
2nd - Approach neighbour nicely and tell them that the dog sometimes barks continual during the day (if that is the case and the others are not exaggerating, as often can happen if some thing has got your goat)

3rd - Dogs bark FACT. Kids scream, expect noise either way, try to give a little bit of leeway if you can/want too.

4th - Sometimes the dog is aggravated by the immediate neighbours pets/ kids/dogs. I now in our case the neighbour didnt seem to think there was any problem with their dog (small) approaching the fence and barking at our dogs, who would in turn return barking but some what louder due to their size. Some how it was only a problem if our dogs barked, anf they were not willing to do anything to control their dogs.

5th- See how it goes for a month/ 6 weeks see if the situation is improved and if not go see them again...

My long 2c

Ms Piggy
2nd September 2009, 18:56
What would you do?
Talk to the dog owners or complain to the local council.

short-circuit
2nd September 2009, 19:01
Dog control/animal management no question

musicman
2nd September 2009, 19:02
Instead of going over and having a chat, why not leave a note in their letterbox first? That might be a less agressive action. I'd imagine reading a note would be better than being told to the face "your dog barks all day".

dangerous
2nd September 2009, 19:02
That rarely works out, and if you're unlucky you will then have a hostile neighbor.

I'd just report it to the council. Council will take a fair approach if its a first-time complaint.

Steve

crap... the average dog owner will be concerned, the dog is likely to be a family member. (yes rearley the dogs owner can be a fuk and only has a dog cos he thinks its a tough look, in that case Id nark)

marty
2nd September 2009, 19:23
if docking is to be baned then so should that shit.

docking SHOULD be banned...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=docking

crazyhorse
2nd September 2009, 19:28
I don't like dogs - so shoot it :rofl:

Sidewinder
2nd September 2009, 19:29

yes yes yes

Big Dave
2nd September 2009, 19:35
Call animal control. Need the number? The girl in the Red Van is really nice.

slofox
2nd September 2009, 19:37
Also, make a big effort to correctly identify which house it is coming from.

This is not easy - I can't see across the gully to identify the house. There is a bunch of houses that are hard to identify from their street frontage. We get a back view when we get any view at all. I would have to look for the WRX I think.
There have been other dog problems over the years. This one is pretty mild I think (for me anyway). The last dog barked all NIGHT!!! That was directly over from me. I used to get out there when it woke me in the wee hours and scream at the top of my lungs "SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!". The neighbour went to try and find it one night and couldn't pick the house from their street...be the same this time I think. But I am sure I can find it out if I try hard enough.

Instead of going over and having a chat, why not leave a note in their letterbox first? That might be a less agressive action. I'd imagine reading a note would be better than being told to the face "your dog barks all day".

No, I would go in person before leaving a note. Front on up not hide behind a piece of paper....just how I do things.

In person, they can see I am not hostile. A note leaves room for interpretation which may or may not be correct.

IdunBrokdItAgin
2nd September 2009, 19:38
I got an anon letter from a neighbour the other day about my dogs. Seems they have been barking a lot when we are at work.

My missus was quite upset but I was pleased that they had written to me before taking it up with the council (or doing something stupid).

Anyhow, they gave a couple of suggestions about the barking dog being able to see down the road and barking because of what it can see. So, after a couple of diy bits so it can't see down the road (didn't blindfold the dog - that was the second option) it seems to have stopped.

All up seems to have worked.

So, best to send a polite note or knock on their door. This gives the owner a chance to sort things out before getting the authorities involved. If they don't do anything then that is their fault.

Supermac Jr
2nd September 2009, 19:39
go have a chat and use the chat as an excuse to see if the dog is well kept etc. Who knows, maybe the owner is a she...

Naki Rat
2nd September 2009, 19:48

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=docking

The fact that you knew this interpretation of 'docking' is highly suspect :shit:

peasea
2nd September 2009, 19:54
Not so long ago, in a galaxy just up the road..........

my brother in law had a gang just over the rise..........nasty buggers, equally nasty dogs.

Dogs got out, hassled the family's animals, dogs got lead implants.

Dogs got buried.

Gang members came for a visit.
"Hey bro,seen my dogs?"
"Nup"

Short story.....
Happy ending.

sunhuntin
2nd September 2009, 20:09
weve got 3 dogs that seem to bark all the time. one is just over the fence and will set off one of our dogs [which gets told to shut the hell up after 3 barks if we are home.] another is across the road and seems to savage, along with savage owner [more on that shortly] and the third is down the road and does most of the barking due to being left home constantly. but, he is not often there for some reason.

the savage dog barked non stop for about 4 hours the other night. a few days later, just after we got home, the dog was in the unfenced front yard [back is fenced well] with the owner. dog wouldnt repsond to owners instructions [come here etc] and there were some kids walking down the road with their dog which was leashed. kids would have been maybe 10 and younger. as mum and i were going inside, the guy starts going off his nut, telling the kids to get their fuckin dog out of it and cant you see i dont have this fuckin dog tied up etc, which suggests the dog is a fighter. absolute nutjob!

nothing annoys me more than an unchecked barker, but i would attempt to make contact with the owner before calling dog control. however, in the nut jobs case, i would call the council without telling him.

marty
2nd September 2009, 20:17
The fact that you knew this interpretation of 'docking' is highly suspect :shit:

google 'docking' it's at the top of the page......

Winston001
2nd September 2009, 20:20
Dogs bark all day because they're locked up and miserable. They're only telling the world how miserable they are. There was an article about lazy dog owners getting their dogs debarked because they couldn't be bothered looking after them properly. Front page of the press a few days ago.

Exactly. It may not be the owners fault in the sense that they don't realise, but my sympathies are with the dog. And the neighbours. Do what you need to.

nothingflash
2nd September 2009, 20:23
I dunno if I'd call the council first off. Maybe next time (or if) they can get theirs back - a loud stereo or whatever - they'll dob you or any of the houses around you in. A while back we lived in a flat that was in a block of three. One of the neighbours would have loud parties (it wouldn't have been half as bad if the music wasn't shite) so we called noise control albeit after trying to reason with them as a last resort. For the record trying to 'reason' with a couple half cut at 2am is impossible. The next day I'm in the bathroom with a sander dealing to the windows and whatd'ya know - noise control turn up... In hindsight we should have tried to reason with them the next day - can't beat face to face. At least these guys probably aren't aware that people are pissed off about it and might feel bad enough to do something - hard to make a dog stop barking though..."Alright Fido I'm going to work - best behaviour please".

Trouser
2nd September 2009, 20:27
A couple of blocks of cadbury chocolate should solve the problem. All they are good for these days.

dangerous
2nd September 2009, 20:39
So, best to send a polite note or knock on their door. This gives the owner a chance to sort things out before getting the authorities involved. If they don't do anything then that is their fault. correct and well said.

Call animal control. Need the number? The girl in the Red Van is really nice. ben picked up by here have ya?

so going by your beliefs.. if I dont like a crazyhorse, then I am to shoot...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=docking You offering :woohoo:

OHHH... and sidewinder reterning a red rep with the comment shooting a dog is fun, confirms to me you have shit for brains, if only ya mother was to have shoot you at birth.

I dont understand dog haters... well I do actually, if a dog cant ber there friend then thers no wonder they strugle with people friends.

Sidewinder
2nd September 2009, 20:44
dangerous has a dog that he would like to be shot he tells me if anyones up for it
:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

mynameis
2nd September 2009, 21:34
Umu time :lol:

Sidewinder
2nd September 2009, 21:38
Umu time :lol:

early :wari::wari::wari::wari:

ready4whatever
2nd September 2009, 21:59
If its just a sad dog that needs attention maybe it needs a new home or on a leash instead of locked up. if its a mean looking dog that is likely to injure a kid id say shoot it

YellowDog
2nd September 2009, 22:08
I am a Postie and I have started contacting the local dog ranger on a regular basis (I never used to).

The reason I started doing this is that we had a talk given by the Dog ranger's office to explain what they do and ho they work.

These guys are trained in how to talk to owners in a nice way to get them to understand they have a problem and also give them advice as to how they should deal with it.

Owners thank me for 'dobbing them in'. No really, they do. 9/10 times they had no idea they had a problem and may have reacted in a hostile manner to a neighbour complaining.

Give it to the professionals.

Problem solved.

nothingflash
2nd September 2009, 22:14
I am a Postie and I have started contacting the local dog ranger on a regular basis (I never used to).

The reason I started doing this is that we had a talk given by the Dog ranger's office to explain what they do and ho they work.

These guys are trained in how to talk to owners in a nice way to get them to understand they have a problem and also give them advice as to how they should deal with it.

Owners thank me for 'dobbing them in'. No really, they do. 9/10 times they had no idea they had a problem and may have reacted in a hostile manner to a neighbour complaining.

Give it to the professionals.

Problem solved.

Can't argue with that then. :done:

peasea
2nd September 2009, 22:15
Has ANYONE tried shooting the DOG in the face?

Jee---zusss

We had a cat problem.
There's this air pistol we got; right?
No cat problem...........
Funny that.

Gremlin
3rd September 2009, 02:38
That rarely works out, and if you're unlucky you will then have a hostile neighbor.

Gotta disagree. I hate this general trend towards not speaking to people and involving someone else instead.

Sure, it depends how you handle it. You go over ranting and raving, they'll tell you to piss off (I would too). As has been pointed out, it may even be the wrong place. I always say that sugar is going to get you much further than salt.

Now, of course, there will be some that refuse to co-operate, don't give a fuck etc, there are always going to be those. At that point, you give up, and take the route via the authorities.

However, I've always had success using the personal route. I'm not a small push over tho, so that could be part of it. Except sometimes, when neighbours yell, and I go over to explain... they don't answer the door.

Pussies :laugh:

dangerous
3rd September 2009, 06:12
Well this thread has taken a dive, sad really cos the thread starter had a good question to ask considering hes not a dog owner.
But the gutless wimps here that have issues with their manhood have to 'shoot' something so much smaller than them selves... pitty it takes that for them to feel the need to be tough.

YellowDog
3rd September 2009, 06:16
Only one person?

That's pretty good going compared with most threads.

obstacle
3rd September 2009, 07:52
Having been the recipient of such news as a dog owner I made changes that meant our dog didn't spend all day barking.

What sucked was that the first I heard of it was animal control coming round and telling me my neighbour had complained.

As the dog only barked when we were out we had no idea. Since then she's become an inside dog, even when we're out, which has made her much more settled and she feels she's more part of the pack now too. Sorted.

Tell the neighbours first. Animal control are mostly nice but it's a nasty surprise to be alerted to a problem by having them turn up.

sinfull
3rd September 2009, 08:35
What the hell has happened to todays society, where some would rather slip a note under the door than speak face to face ? Lets all build 8 foot fences to block out the neighbours !
Wrx tells me the dog owners are prolly young and cant seem to find the time to excercise the dog in the morning before work ! More than likely find that because the dog spends the rest of its time in the car with the owner, it's kicking up a stink, when left at home alone during work hours (on a chain more n likely)
I'm a bit of a culprit with the noisy dog syndrome, when the bitch was young she climbed the fence and got out on the highway when we went out on the bike, so i had to start chaining her for her own safety and there was a bit of noise apparently (more of a pitifull woooooooooooo than a bark)
The bitch is a bit older now and i've trained her not to head out the front so i can leave her loose after i prepare for my ride by taking her for an hour walk at the beach first ! Hasn't been chained for over a year, hell i don't even use a leash when i walk her !!!
Have got a bit of an issue at the race track at the moment due to the fact i have to harness her in the van and she does kick up a fuss when i walk away to watch a race or ride out to the track so she may have made a rod for her own back there (stuck at home when we head trackside)
But i'm rambling again !!!
I vote go see the owners, they may be able to place the dog somewhere else during the day which might shut it up, or get it some company !!
We had a stray kitten wander in some months ago, which walked up and nudged the dog (blew her away lol) i thought coool and fed it ! They're inseperable now, often find them curled up together on the dog couch out on the deck !

duckonin
3rd September 2009, 09:33
Has ANYONE tried shooting the DOG in the face?

Jee---zusss

We had a cat problem.
There's this air pistol we got; right?
No cat problem...........
Funny that.

Not the face, go right into the throat, thats where the bark comes from..:msn-wink:

vifferman
3rd September 2009, 09:54
Dog's are pack animals (well... duh!) so they regard their owners as part of their pack, and don't like being alone, because that's unnatural. So it's understandable if they're left alone. They're also very territorial, especially if they don't spend enough time out'n'about, being socialised, especially with the other dogs in the neighbourhood. They can be trained to not bark, and as others have said, sometimes it's other animals in the the neighbourhood that set them off, or strange sounds they can hear but not identify.

I know it's really farking annoying when dogs bark or whine when left alone, but it's fixable. In almost all cases, it's not really the dog's fault (it's just being a dog!) but the owner's fault, for not understanding dog behaviour, or not training their dog, or even for getting a dog in the first place then not making sure it's properly cared for! Some dogs really need companionship (another pet) or more exercise and attention, or more training, or even another more suitable home. A placid dog (labrador or whatever) will be quite happy just lazing around, but other breeds need LOTS of exercise, and some very territorial breeds need to be made to feel more secure about their territory, even if that means they can't see/smell/hear things that piss them off (like cats or other animals), so they don't get anxious.

MattRSK
3rd September 2009, 09:57
I think all the people on here talking about shooting the dog should be locked up. You obviously shouldn't be allowed out into normal society with an attitude like that.

Big Dave
3rd September 2009, 10:40
Gotta disagree. I hate this general trend towards not speaking to people and involving someone else instead.

Gotta disagree. I pay thousands of dollars in rates. Part of that service is I don't have to deal with inconsiderate dweebs.

The Pastor
3rd September 2009, 10:54
im no dog expert but i think dogs bark like that when they are bored

Big Dave
3rd September 2009, 10:56
im no dog expert but i think dogs bark like that when they are bored

We're not interested in your social life.

vifferman
3rd September 2009, 11:26

Gotta disagree. I pay thousands of dollars in rates. Part of that service is I don't have to deal with inconsiderate dweebs.

Gotta agree with both of you. I agree that the general trend of not speaking to pople is helping to erode good neighbourly relations, and can really piss people off, when sometimes a quick word in person can sort things. However, I aslo agree with Dave, in that this is what the council oroficers are trained to do, and then this doesn't run the risk of becoming fuedal if the dog owner gets feral about it.

In the final analysis, it's probably better " to do things through the proper channels", even if this does reinforce the whole bureaucratic powertrip thing, instead of personal responsibility.

Big Dave
3rd September 2009, 11:40
Gotta agree with both of you. I agree that the general trend of not speaking to pople is helping to erode good neighbourly relations, and can really piss people off, when sometimes a quick word in person can sort things. However, I aslo agree with Dave, in that this is what the council oroficers are trained to do, and then this doesn't run the risk of becoming fuedal if the dog owner gets feral about it.

In the final analysis, it's probably better " to do things through the proper channels", even if this does reinforce the whole bureaucratic powertrip thing, instead of personal responsibility.

Gotta disagree. No reason - Just because it's trendy.

I've had dealings with both sides of Animal Control - ours dug out once and when Jnr was attacked by a Pit Bull - and they were fair and even handed like Ol' Yella says.

short-circuit
3rd September 2009, 11:43

I'll agree with this then - just to buck the trend of disagreement

buellbabe
3rd September 2009, 11:48
Well I pretty much agree with most of the comments (aside from eating and shooting!).

A few years back my boyfriend had a letter from dog control warning of disciplinary action if he didn't stop his dog from AGGRESSIVE (??WTF??)barking...he was on good terms with his neighbours so beats me why one of them just didn't tell him there was a problem.

Being the type of person he was he decided to install a CCT unit aimed at the 6ft high wrought iron gates... The dog seemed to spend nearly ALL day out the back of the house and out of sight till about 3.15 in the arvo.
Then these little shits would appear on the other side of the gate banging a stick or just rattling the gates.
Suddenly the dog was there and it was barking all right! And strangely enuf he seemed quite aggressive about it...Can't think why...

Parents were spoken to and complaint was withdrawn...

When I moved into my place I visited my neighbours and asked them to please let me know if my dog ever caused ANY problems.
She never has.
As a dog owner I would much rather that the neighbours brought their concerns to ME rather than the council.
And furthermore, as a dog owner, its been my experience that a dog that howls or barks all day long is bored shitless and most probably tied up. If you have a dog in suburbia and you gotta tie it up all day while you are at work then you shouldn't have a dog. The frigging property should be FULLY fenced. And preferably have the dog fenced AWAY from the street frontage where all the 'excitement' goes on.

peasea
3rd September 2009, 14:52
I think all the people on here talking about shooting the dog should be locked up. You obviously shouldn't be allowed out into normal society with an attitude like that.

Oops, sorry. Better to shoot the owner.

Flip
3rd September 2009, 14:54
I also would like to know if the dog is causing a problem during the day.

There is actually very little dog control can do if a dog is barking during the day. Agressive behaviour is another issue. There is no point in having a dog and doing the barking yourself.

I live in a rural area, whilst we were away on holiday (with the dog) one of my distant neighbours left a nasty unsigned note in my letter box about my dog barking. Well after working out who it was I stappled a set of ear plugs on it and left the note in their letter box. I never herd anything again. My dog is a work dog and is with me all day every day.

Big Dave
3rd September 2009, 15:05
There is actually very little dog control can do if a dog is barking during the day.

Then refer it to ?

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/council/services/noise/default.asp

Insanity_rules
3rd September 2009, 15:12

Thats a sick solution. Both my dogs are well behaved, trained and valued family members. I think the owners should be licensed and have to pass a test.

ready4whatever
3rd September 2009, 21:06
But the gutless wimps here that have issues with their manhood have to 'shoot' something so much smaller than them selves... pitty it takes that for them to feel the need to be tough.

I always shoot things bigger than me. Deer wild cattle etc. No issues here. LOL

Skyryder
3rd September 2009, 22:23
Nothing works better to keep a dog from barking than a brisket bone. Only type of bones that should be given to dogs as they do not splinter.

Skyryder