PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps on yr mobile

sinned
3rd September 2009, 11:55
I should have discovered how to use google maps on the mobile a year ago and would not have spent money on maps. Now I have loaded the map application I can't see myself ever needing to buy a map again.

All you need and probably have is a mobile with web browser and a data plan or access to data on the mobile. I downloaded the google map application and placed a short cut on the menu giving a one click access to the map.

The map options are similar to those on a full web browser; search, get directions, my location, layers, satellite/map view, favourites, zoom, help. Get directions returns distance and turn by turn instructions.

My locations shows a map with a marker showing where you are. The accuracy depends on the location relative to cell sites so this is not accurate like GPS. However, with the map showing street names etc it takes only a few seconds to work out exactly where you are. When a destination is selected you have a map view of the route or word instructions.

Now I am wondering if I need or will buy a GPS for the motorcycle?

Pros

Free service - except for minimal data cost ($10/100Mb plan or prepay is more than enough) Note that Vodafone and Telecom data plans have come down in cost.
No need to buy any more urban maps (possibly also rural)
This may meet the requirements a lot of users would want of a GPS
If you carry a mobile you will always have maps with you

Cons

Must have mobile coverage - not a problem for me.
Must have mobile with web browser (got that and most have)
Small data cost.
Is not a GPS and can't be monitored while riding.

What to do?

Open the browser at google.com
Download Maps
Place a shortcut

My phone is a Nokia E65 - now an old model. On Vodafone.

Bren
3rd September 2009, 13:07
Now I will never get lost...thanks....

One note though...the application is accessed on google if you click the "more" link

.chris
3rd September 2009, 13:47
My sony mobile came with google maps as standard, it does not have a gps, but it seems to work out roughly where you are based on the cell sites around you.

Just makes google maps load roughly to the right spot, which makes things easier.

You are right, if you do not need tracking or routes then google maps on the mobile phone is a pretty easy solution.

p.dath
3rd September 2009, 13:50
Several of the new model mobile phones have have a GPS receiver built in.

The US manadated the requriement in law so they can track accurately the location of 911 calls. As a result, our phones have started having this feature.

Gremlin
4th September 2009, 00:48
Yep, the Nokia E71 (not E61) has a built in GPS receiver. While you can use Nokia maps, the Google Maps are faster, and still use the GPS to nail accuracy.

The functionality is limited tho, by not being able to add extra points in the middle, and as you say, you need data coverage. I still have a GPS, but then, I'm often in areas with no mobile coverage, let alone data coverage.

Dargor
4th September 2009, 01:08
ant technology grand.

Trudes
4th September 2009, 07:45
Gotta love it eh!

Tony.OK
5th September 2009, 06:41
:crazy: I tried it on my pre pay yesterday, managed to put my house as a favourite, checked my balance after doing so, used over $6 for around 2 min of playing..................thanks Telecom:gob:

sinned
5th September 2009, 09:13
:crazy: I tried it on my pre pay yesterday, managed to put my house as a favourite, checked my balance after doing so, used over $6 for around 2 min of playing..................thanks Telecom:gob:
Can be expensive without a data plan. I use approx 0.5mb on days using maps. My dataplan is lowest Vodafone at 100mb for $10.00. More than I can use.

p.dath
5th September 2009, 09:19
Don't forget Vodafone also have the $1/day for up to 10MB for casual usage. Probably fine for most mapping applications.

But be carefull if you use more than 10MB. The charges are excessive.

cheesemethod
5th September 2009, 14:47
I found this about a month ago for my phone, and I find myself using it more and more. I've got a Nokia N82 and I must say Google Maps is about 500x better than the standard Nokia maps program. Although if you get lost in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage you're a bit stuck, but hey, that's half the fun of biking.

Askelon
5th September 2009, 18:09
I got it on mine - Palm Treo Pro.. Worked ok.. Ended up sticking Tom Tom on my phone - no more downloads, runs nice and quick. Doesnt support A-GPS like Google Maps (which uses both GPS & Cell Tower triangulation to get your coords) so it means I have to wait for the GPS to lock in before I can get anything - I normally only use it for route finding anyways :).

onearmedbandit
6th September 2009, 00:57
Use it on my N95 which has A-GPS, much quicker than Nokia Maps, love the satellite view and also street view. Downloaded an app which uses the phones built-in accelerometer to show lean and pitch angle. Doesn't log unfortunately so won't be using it on the bike yet.

Devil
7th September 2009, 09:26
Use it on my N95 which has A-GPS, much quicker than Nokia Maps, love the satellite view and also street view. Downloaded an app which uses the phones built-in accelerometer to show lean and pitch angle. Doesn't log unfortunately so won't be using it on the bike yet.

Yer, I have an N95. A-GPS is what they're talking about above, the triangulation using Cell sites. if I want to be a cheap bastard I use the nokia maps with A-GPS switched off so it uses no data.

onearmedbandit
7th September 2009, 16:50
Yer, I have an N95. A-GPS is what they're talking about above, the triangulation using Cell sites. if I want to be a cheap bastard I use the nokia maps with A-GPS switched off so it uses no data.

Yeah I know what it is, I use it all the time. I'm on a 512mb per month plan, so using it regularly doesn't concern me. Except however while roaming in Oz, 30sec use cost me $6 lol. Turned off all network use after that. Next time I'll get a sim over there.

slofox
7th September 2009, 18:37
I actually got Google maps to work on my phone this time...last time I tried it, it refused to load properly for some unknown reason - nearly went the same way this time, but second try succeeded...now I need a phone with a BIGGER SCREEN! and a bit more patience as well...

Bren
7th September 2009, 21:02
As far as data rated are concerned last time I played with it on my phone it cost me about 20 cents for 5 min use....

...I am on 2 degrees...must be cheaper than vodaphone or telescum

onearmedbandit
7th September 2009, 23:53
Will have to wait to see what 2deg charge for broadband. Their 3g cell sites aren't running yet.

Devil
8th September 2009, 09:55
What you can do, if your phone has Wifi (like the N95), is you can go wander around till you find an unsecured access point, fire up google maps and just browse around building your map cache for free ;)

bungbung
8th September 2009, 10:14
Do you need to be within cell coverage, on can you cache the maps of your intended route in advance?

(for non-gps phones, e.g. my symbian 60 series phone)

onearmedbandit
8th September 2009, 10:42
You can cache in advance. And yeah it's great finding a wi-fi spot and catching a free ride off that. Google have just recently updated the res for the Chch map, very sharp now.

XP@
19th October 2009, 14:40
Yup maps on mobile was great on the Rusty nuts grand challenge.
the only downside was getting it out in the wet.

But if I was really worried i would have got my umbrella out (really useful acccessory!).

breakaway
20th October 2009, 08:00
For those of you on Vodafone - you can get a data add on even if you're on prepay. The plan gives you 100MB for $10 (for one month). Text 'bblite' to 756 to buy it.

EnzoYug
20th October 2009, 11:24
If you've got a Nokia try Nokia maps. Uses only GPS (which is free if you have it) which should be available anywhere you can see the sky. No cell-reception required.

Nokia maps downloads into your (obviously) Nokia phone before hand and doesn't need data or cell coverage. Google is prettier, but Nokia gets the job done more reliably!

marigami
20th October 2009, 22:22
Excuse me but do you mean that you are using your mobile phone to plan your journey or do you use when pausing while you are travelling ?
I do have GPS on my Iphone but as much as I like to find my way I xwould not imagine using it while ridiing or while planning my journey...

I am not so keen on very well prepared trip I mean I am ok to print the main roads and direction but anyway I eventually end to get lost at the very last of my trip especially whenn travelling in small villages so why not let the curiosity and mystery have its try ?
Of course if you are not in a hurry !
I usually use my GPS on my phone while...walking in Paris to find my way... or to help my friends to drive me back by car.
Are there a lot of GPS for bikers, I mean already set on new bikes in NZ?
Here in France it is not so much spread yet.
But do we really need them that much ?
And anyway don't you have any problem with wifi connection, I mean do you hhave wifi everywhere in the country, because I know, as i am talking of what I know, that in France there are areas where wifi and internet are unavailable, because of landscape or because there are not many people living there.

Kiwi Graham
21st October 2009, 05:21
Used the feature on my blackberry when in the UK, got back to a $340 bill! Didn't get lost though.

XP@
21st October 2009, 14:57
Excuse me but do you mean that you are using your mobile phone to plan your journey or do you use when pausing while you are travelling ?
I do have GPS on my Iphone but as much as I like to find my way I xwould not imagine using it while ridiing or while planning my journey...

You can get a bracket with waterproof plastic box which attaches to your handle bars for the GPS's like Garmin.
You plan your route on the computer, transfer it to the GPS put the GPS on the bike and follow it's instructions...
these people do iphone mounts, but not waterproof ones...
http://www.ramsolutions.co.nz/webapps/site/62807/64745/shopping/custom/shopping-ram.html?find_groupid=6565

For the last ride I did I used it to store the checkpoints then when I got lost used the map to locate where i was (it found me within 1km). I did have to stop and get my phone out of my bag.

genki
23rd November 2009, 09:13
You dont have you pay a fortune to Vodafone or Telecom to be able to use gps navigation. I am using a HTC phone with Garmin Maps on it and it cost nothing to use GPS as the phone has a built-in GPS receiver. You can search any address in NZ and phone has voice guided navigation. The beauty is you can download most uptodate Garmin maps for NZ and rest of the world for free too! I have just upgraded my phone to a latest HTC, so this phone will soon go up on TradeMe:)