PDA

View Full Version : Hard Chroming Forks

PZR
23rd October 2003, 20:27
Has anyone rebuilt their front forks and had to get them hard chromed because they were pitted? I did the fork seals in mine not long ago and the effing thing has started to leak again. Now it's not hard to replace the seals but I do not want to do it again and have it leak again. Any advise welcome.
This is the disadvantage of owning an old bike I guess but I would sooner not have to fix it any more than I need too.
:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :brick: :mad: :mad:
Can't find a little picture for pissed off

Firefight
23rd October 2003, 20:33
Yeah I think Andrew did, you could PM him,or If I ride with him this weekend I'll ask him:eek:

firefight.:rockon:

130wide
23rd October 2003, 21:34
Try this link:
I'm thinking of doing my GPz750 turbo forks.

http://www.racinglinks.co.nz/ceramics.htm

PZR
24th October 2003, 11:07
Originally posted by Firefight
Yeah I think Andrew did, you could PM him,or If I ride with him this weekend I'll ask him:eek:

firefight.:rockon:

Would you mind asking him or tell me his site name as I do not know Andrew
Thanks

That site is good and they look great but I do not know if I want to spend that much at this time, but Ill bookmark it.

What?
24th October 2003, 18:32
I had my CB1100 fork legs re-chromed about 7 or 8 years ago by

Engineering Services Ltd,

61 Riri st, Rotorua,

ph: 07 348 8764.

Went there on several recommendations. Cost $60 + gst per leg. Job was excellent.:niceone:

Firefight
25th October 2003, 13:17
Originally posted by PZR
Would you mind asking him or tell me his site name as I do not know Andrew
Thanks

Andrew is on this site and be contacted as "Andrew", however I will ask him, If I see him this weekend.

Firefight::cool:

Dave
25th October 2003, 14:28
There is some basic things you can do before you go to that expense-are they actually pitted or just leaking?

You need to make sure that you use decent seals-there are more crap brands than good ones!

You need to align the forks after installation-EVERY TIME.
otherwise the fork tube is pushing on one side of the seal-and it will never seal.

Are your fork tube bellmouthed? If a fork works up and down enough times it will eventually flare out and increase in diameter.

food for thought.

Andrew
25th October 2003, 18:27
Go talk to the guys at Colemans. They replaced my fork seals and cleaned up the forkes on the lathe.
Good job done!!

PZR
15th November 2003, 20:42
For any interested this is the solution I came up with in the end.

I dismantled everything and honed the pits in the chrome with a fine hone stone. If you did not know, chrome is porus and water can get underneath and rust the steel. This then creates an effect like a volcano which pushes the chrome up and out. This then rips the seal causing a leak. After honing the chrome back I was still left with a small hole where the pits were most severe. I filled these with superglue then honed them back again. I do not know how long the superglue will last, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper than $500.00 to $600.00 to get them ground back, rechromed and then ground again. It seems to work fine I took it to Taupo and back over three days last week and no apparent problems :2thumbsup

Andrew
15th November 2003, 20:58
A couple of months after getting my fork seals replaced, i've noticed that one of them has started to leak again. I'm not confident about replacing the fork seals myself, I'll just see if it'll go through its warrant with a leaky seal.

What?
16th November 2003, 06:57
Originally posted by PZR
a hell of a lot cheaper than $500.00 to $600.00 to get them ground back, rechromed and then ground again.

Kinell - where did you get that price from????:gob::gob::gob::gob:

Kickaha
16th November 2003, 07:54
Originally posted by PZR
For any interested this is the solution I came up with in the end.

I filled these with superglue then honed them back again. I do not know how long the superglue will last, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper than $500.00 to $600.00 to get them ground back, rechromed and then ground again. It seems to work fine I took it to Taupo and back over three days last week and no apparent problems :2thumbsup

Last time I had some rechromed was some time ago but it was $180 for the pair,the superglue trick works fine,we did it on a RZ250 years ago that had a stone chip and 12 months later still hadn't caused any problems

PZR
17th November 2003, 21:38
Originally posted by What?
Kinell - where did you get that price from????:gob::gob::gob::gob:

Price for the hard chroming was from Otahuhu Hard Chromers at 250.00/300.00 and grinding from a place he uses further down Huia Rd at 250.00/300.00. Too expensive for my old girl (and the bike as well)

PZR
17th November 2003, 21:50
Originally posted by Andrew
A couple of months after getting my fork seals replaced, i've noticed that one of them has started to leak again. I'm not confident about replacing the fork seals myself, I'll just see if it'll go through its warrant with a leaky seal.

If you can get the old seals out the top without having to dismantle the complete thing its really easy, just slide the new ones in, but removing the stauncion from the body can be tricker if you do not have the right tools. I had to make a tool to fit right down inside to undo the lower bolt for mine. Easy when you have a welder. If you have a manual check it to see how to do the job. Seals seem to be priced around $25.00 to $40.00 a pair plus a pack of new oil is around $30.00. E mail me if you want some help and I ll see what I can do
Make sure you wipe the oil off just before you get to the WOF place so its less likely to look as if its leaking, but do not leave it too long without fixing it as it will effect your handling eventually

What?
18th November 2003, 06:33
Originally posted by PZR
plus a pack of new oil is around $30.00.

If you are just replacing to OE spec, save some bucks and use Auto Transmission Fluid. It is just 5 wt oil, same as the more expensive fork oils.

Andrew
18th November 2003, 10:22
My Forks are USD, so would that make it a lot harder to work on??

What?
18th November 2003, 12:12
No. They are just the same once removed from the bike.

HDSpringer
24th September 2004, 22:37
You could always contemplate changing you front end, I never have a problem with oil seals at all.