PDA

View Full Version : ATGATT- and this my friends is why

humphrt
3rd September 2009, 17:10
http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,19460.0.html

Makes you think pretty hard about what gear you're wearing.

Stay safe out there.

James Deuce
3rd September 2009, 17:35
Stick it up your bottom. Though I'm sure if you're an ATGATT Nazi you have your buttplug in.

Danae
3rd September 2009, 17:48
That guy is an idiot, I'm sorry...not even helmets.

Just going around the corner I can understand when people just wear jacket/gloves/helmet, that's fine and not my problem...

But this guy (and pillion) didn't even bother with a helmet! That's pretty daft.

PrincessBandit
3rd September 2009, 18:24
I loved n00dles first comment "glad to hear you're alright". Holy hell, he thinks they're alright????? I suppose as they are, as opposed to "dead".

Jonno.
3rd September 2009, 18:44
"she liked the thrill of leaning and I wanted to impress her."

humphrt
3rd September 2009, 18:53
"she liked the thrill of leaning and I wanted to impress her."
its much like Deuce trying to impress us with his manly im invincable and dont need to shit...

Im not a Nazi i dont always wear the full power ranger suit(dont bother with pants for the commute) i just think theres a valuble lesson to be had.

True it was stupid but you gotta feel for the guy. He has admitted he fucked up big time and i dont think he'll ever forget it. Anyway nobody died this time, just lessons learnt.

h_tron
3rd September 2009, 19:00
im afaird i surcame to un-ATGATT-ing two saturdays agos, took an hour to pick the gravel out of me and fractured my collar bone, and to be honest i probably should have come worse off so i count my self lucky. fortunately i was only on my bmx, i always AGTATT on my R6, but learning from this little crash has made me never have to think twice about using all the gear when i ride my proper bike :eek:

CookMySock
3rd September 2009, 19:03
Then time started up again and she started crying. Farr-rrr-rrrrrk.

Thanks for that.

Steve

Taz
3rd September 2009, 19:10
Hey Humphrt - How long did it take you to heal from that...... Oh wait a minute thats not even you is it? Or even someone you know?

humphrt
3rd September 2009, 19:16
Or even someone you know? Piss off.

could you please point out where i said it was me or someone i knew?

all i said was that there was a lesson to be learnt, whether you learn it or not is of no consiquence to me. its your life so why dont you go troll somwhere else.

Hitcher
3rd September 2009, 19:22
The BDOTGNZA wishes it had avoided this thread. "im invincable" indeed.

Kiwi Graham
3rd September 2009, 19:27
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=89887
Anything like this has got to make you think!

humphrt
3rd September 2009, 19:36
You know i just thought that some people might get something out of it as i did. And hopefully some still do, but im getting the impression that i was being naive :doh:

Metalor
4th September 2009, 15:26
im afaird i surcame to un-ATGATT-ing two saturdays agos, took an hour to pick the gravel out of me and fractured my collar bone, and to be honest i probably should have come worse off so i count my self lucky. fortunately i was only on my bmx, i always AGTATT on my R6, but learning from this little crash has made me never have to think twice about using all the gear when i ride my proper bike :eek:

Davey Boy! How ya goin man? You goin to the gig next thursday at kings arms?

Glad it wasn't coming off your r6 that did that! Makes you think about all those cyclists in their gay jumpsuits and if they ever came off, they still go pretty quick!

YellowDog
4th September 2009, 15:41
Wearing a helmet is not a legal requirement in some places.

ATGATT protection is not a legal requirement anywhere.

Maybe those in authority need to take this more seriously.

James Deuce
4th September 2009, 17:30
Wearing a helmet is not a legal requirement in some places.

ATGATT protection is not a legal requirement anywhere.

Maybe those in authority need to take this more seriously.
Maybe they don't. Maybe people and the "authorities" need to be grown ups about the choices people make.

F5 Dave
4th September 2009, 18:06
Here we go. :blank: "Am I my brother's keeper?"

The only time the roadtoll in NZ has reduced as a result of legislation is compulsory seatbelt use.

That could be argued that was infringing people's right to choice to wear one or not.

On the other side of the coin people are generally stupid.

Why should others pay for them to maim themselves & rack up hospital costs when they could have easily done something to protect themselves a considerable amount? (ie wear a seatbelt).

But if they had the choice they would continue making stupid decisions, that has been proven.

Ok then some will argue where does that stop? Well that line should be drawn somewhere sensible rather than dismissed altogether. I for one don't want to have to pick up some muppet who has come off & slice & diced themselves because they were riding in shorts & sneakers & I don't want to have to foot the ACC bill either.

ACC should be there to help accident victims, but I would like to think that the victims didn't actively go out of their way to be stupid.

For those who proclaim as loud & clear about their choice; are they so eager to meet the bill? Or will they sheepishly look around & hope the gummermint won't put ACC levy up to intolerable levels?

YellowDog
4th September 2009, 18:29
Maybe they don't. Maybe people and the "authorities" need to be grown ups about the choices people make.
I understand what you are saying however other countries have shown that by seriously investing in driver awareness and rider training; as well as increasing the levels of ability and standards required to pass a bike test: Given time, road deaths and accidents do reduce proportionally.

dieseldave
4th September 2009, 19:04
ATTGAT not high on the list in places like Paris or Rome. Helmets seem to be the minimum requirement but footwear, jackets etc not important it seems. I saw sandals, sneakers, high heels! t shirts, suit jackets anything but safety oriented stuff. They pootled along just fine and there were, it seemed, thousands of riders. Big waves of them taking off at the lights.
It was a fearsome sight.

caseye
4th September 2009, 19:13
Don't give a stuff what anybody else does, but if you choose not to gear up don't come whining to me, cause I won't give a damn.Simple really, don't wear it, don't complain or expect to be looked after by the health system.

The Wop
9th September 2009, 12:20
Don't give a stuff what anybody else does, but if you choose not to gear up don't come whining to me, cause I won't give a damn.Simple really, don't wear it, don't complain or expect to be looked after by the health system.

The problem Caseye is that unless they are breaking the law, they WILL be looked after in the health system and the ACC payers and tax payers ARE footing the bill. So even if you are monumentally stupid and come off wearing jandals and a t-shirt, as long as you have a helmet on, you will be taken care of....sad but true.

Brian d marge
9th September 2009, 14:58
Snip
I had my first wreck Thursday night.

do I need to keep reading ?

The facts Ma lud;

1. American
2, I had my first wreck Thursday night. ( NOOB )
3, Ran out of lean ??????
4. Trying to impress a woman

Stephen

Brian d marge
9th September 2009, 15:01
PPS

No ACC here

all is well , health system fine ,,, cost of stupidity twenty dollars depending ...

all good

Sorry if it pear shaped over there ,,, doing something about might have helped

Stephen

p.dath
9th September 2009, 15:24
I wont say anything except please cast your vote in this poll:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=107219

Katman
9th September 2009, 15:32
I'm not an ATGATT nazi. Hell, there are literally countless times that I ride bikes with little more safety gear than my helmet. I'll be fucked if I'm going to rug up every time I take a bike out for a road test.

However, before anyone else tries flaming the OP for this thread, bear in mind it is not a thread abusing someone else for not wearing all the gear. It is merely a thread showing someone elses mistake and one that may give rise to people thinking about the consequences of their actions.

For that, I say thanks for the thread.

Itchy_Kiwis
14th September 2009, 19:50
its much like Deuce trying to impress us with his manly im invincable and dont need to shit...

i dont always wear the full power ranger suit(dont bother with pants for the commute)

Holy Hell! thats something i wouldnt want to see !!!ever !!:doh:

quickbuck
14th September 2009, 21:31
Makes you think about all those cyclists in their gay jumpsuits and if they ever came off, they still go pretty quick!

Actually those "gay jumpsuits" slide along the road pretty well.
I did hear of one dude who cycles to a motorcycle racing event and put leathers on over his Lycra....
When he binned it was like putting a hot iron onto the Lycra.....

Back to the OP...
Yep, eye opener really. 35mph..... hell kids, most scooters are at their "least stable" at that speed....

Insanity_rules
14th September 2009, 21:46
I came off on a gravel road in all the gear at 50 Ks and mostly the gear did its job. One small graze. If I hadn't been fully kitted I'd have been toast.