PDA

View Full Version : Hello world !

Sutage
7th April 2005, 22:45
Hi all

Currently driving a little 50cc and decided that I want a motorbike now. Going to get that Basic Handling thing on sunday I hope.

Now, i dont really have much to spend 2000 cash, or i could finance but id really rather pay cash off trademe T/E. Was wondering whats a good learner bike around that price range? I really like the look of the Suzuki GSX250 or the Honda CBR, or even a Kawasaki cruiser, just wodnering what you guys RECCOMEND for a learner bike in my price range. I dont really wanna buy a brand new expensive shiny bike and fall off and wreck it, and also when i get my full i'll prob upgrade :msn-wink: :msn-wink:

Any advice is greatly appreciated, plus its in the good cause of getting me off my 50cc!

Btw i'd like to point out that I like the way the motorbike license is done over the car way, a lot of yonug guys like me would be too tempted to buy a ridiclously oversized bike for a learner. Good job government (eek)

Have a good day!

-Richard :cool:

sAsLEX
7th April 2005, 23:14
depends what you looking for? Do you like to cruise or do you want to try get you elbows down in the corners with something a bit faster?

for the cruiser- GN250 just watch the oil level in them

for a sports bike-zxr250 -cbr250(r or RR) prob a bit$$

oh and how big you are, some of the bikes require a bit of limb oragami to fit on if you are taller!!

Mr Skid
7th April 2005, 23:32
Hi Richard,

As sAsLEX says, what do you want to use the bike for?

I'm guessing that you've been using your scoot for commuting.. Do you want a motorbike for the same use?
Have you found any short commings in your scoot that's prompted you to want a motorbike?
Are you going to have lots or little money to throw at a bike in terms of maintainence/repairs until you get your full?

At one end of the spectrum are things like the GN250 (crusier) and XR250 (trail bike) air cooled 250cc single cylinder engines. No big expensive bits of plastic hiding all the good bits on the bike, and easy to maintain.

At the other end are bikes like the GSXR/CBR/ZXR family of generic 250 sports bikes. They are 4 cylinder water cooled engines, and while they have a reasonable peak power output, they do it at high rpm, and to the detriment of low rpm torque.

And if you still want faster and more difficult to learn on, there's 2 stroke v-twins like the RGV250. Someone mentioned earlier that they're something like 100bhp/litre which is quite a bit of go.

sAsLEX
7th April 2005, 23:36
And if you still want faster and more difficult to learn on, there's 2 stroke v-twins like the RGV250. Someone mentioned earlier that they're something like 100bhp/litre which is quite a bit of go.

not really when you compare it to a cbr250RR which make what 45HP with 1/4 of a litre!!

A 2 smoke should be much higher than that i thought, but hey I am prob wrong....

wari
7th April 2005, 23:44
Howerdy SUtage ... :spudwave:

:moon: <== E-Sentiall piece of ridin' e-quippment furrya ... :yeah:

Sutage
7th April 2005, 23:50
Hi, quick repies - very cool

Pretty much i feel when im on my scooter it doesnt go fast enough to keep up with traffic etc. Plus when i stop then start going up a hill it goes real slow for about 20 seconds before it speeds up. Plus i find that even if im going downhill in a 50k zone at 60+ (off clock) idiot cars still overtake me dangerously, really pisses me off. Yeah i commute to work, pretty much just round auckland, but i'd like to be able to drive into the city easier and stuff, and just have the option of going for a longer drive.

I think im like 1.8m ish, weigh like 80kg (feels like a personal ad :/ )
And im 17 so may grow a bit more i guess.

I work so i have plenty of cash for small maitenance, cant afford to replace the engine but ya small things are no problem.

Is 1500-2000 enough for a "decent" learner bike, I mean i'd rather save for another month ( well not really) than buy a heap of crap.

I think i'd rather a "sporty" bike like a gsx or a cbr over a cruiser, not into the whole harley davidson type look really. Nice sporty sleek look is for me, but hey if a cruiser is the best to learn on, i'd def go for it, after all dont ask for advice if you aint gonna take it. :whocares: hehe

Thanks again!

-Richard :Punk:

Mr Skid
7th April 2005, 23:51
not really when you compare it to a cbr250RR which make what 45HP with 1/4 of a litre!!

A 2 smoke should be much higher than that i thought, but hey I am prob wrong....

Yes, you're quite right, don't know how I came up with that one- maybe I left my brain behind when I was over at our mate Kate Edger's place?

The RGV250 is 240hp/l (assuming 60hp at the crank) and the CBR250RR 180hp/l (assuming 45hp at the crank)

Mr Skid
8th April 2005, 00:47
I think i'd rather a "sporty" bike like a gsx or a cbr over a cruiser, not into the whole harley davidson type look really. Nice sporty sleek look is for me, but hey if a cruiser is the best to learn on, i'd def go for it, after all dont ask for advice if you aint gonna take it.
The best advice I read about a first bike was to go for a trail bike. I'm still not sure why I bought a sprotsbike..

I stalled/rev the shite out of my cbr when I first got it, as it's got not a hell of a lot of torque at low revs and low reciprocating weight/flywheel etc.

I don't think about it too much now, but I did get to take a XT400 (trail bike) around the block the other day, and it reminded me how much easier low down torque makes riding in traffic.

Assuming you've got your bike learners, go to a shop and take some bikes for a ride. Until then you'll only have others people's opinions, and bike's appearances to go upon.

MSTRS
8th April 2005, 09:08
Hi Sutage
The others have pretty well covered it. I would add that since you now ride a scooter, it seems reasonable to assume you can balance & manouvre OK. However, remember that those little wheels are very different to 17/18" rims so there will be quite a bit of (un)learning to do. I would say go for the sportsbike type - it will see you through your restricted period much better than a GN for eg. Go sit on/try out a few

magnum
14th April 2005, 15:19
hi and welcome,good luck with a purchase,wont get much for 2k :2thumbsup

FEINT
14th April 2005, 21:31
Welcome to the site.

I have a friend looking for a 250 as well for $2000.00 and only thing he can buy are the GN250's. Everything else cost alot more than $2000.

Hope you can find what you are looking for.

Remember that you need good gear too!

Zed
14th April 2005, 21:40
Hi all

Currently driving a little 50cc and decided that I want a motorbike now...Outstanding statement, I like it! :lol:

Welcome to KB Sutage, I hope you get yourself a *real* bike soon. :Punk:

Zed

N4CR
14th April 2005, 22:06
Hey dude i know of 2 people that are in titirangi.. i used to live on Atkinson road (109 i think...) and there is a guy with a gsx - across 250 about 100m down on the same side (long ashphalt driveway) and another guy i know somewhere else with a vfr250 from memory... if you run in to them im sure they will have a chat lol.
Best of luck getting a new bike and welcome...

sels1
14th April 2005, 22:29
, after all dont ask for advice if you aint gonna take it. :

Words of wisdom......!

Welcome aboard the site Sutage.
There are some benefits to learning on a trailbike. You can develop skills and learn to handle yr bike (and fall off a few times) on the dirt, and then put it into practice on the road. Good like finding a bike, whatever your choice.