PDA

View Full Version : Car headlights?

JMemonic
3rd September 2009, 23:26
Is this particular to Christchurch or is it NZ wide?

On my brief ride home from work, about 9kms I counted no fewer than 12 miss adjusted head lights, one beam set right, the other, normally the passenger side being so out of correct alignment it would appear as if on high beam and shining nearly directly across the road, so is this just local to here? Or is there something deficient in testing sites?

An even more interesting question for the law enforcement officers, do you folks ever issue tickets for this now days? Or issue warnings?

Motu
3rd September 2009, 23:55
I've been checking headlights with a beamsetter for 20 years now, (since beamsetters replaced lightboards) and some days it seems every car I check has lights set wrong....other times I can go a couple of weeks without finding one out.Biggest reason for lights being way wrong is incorrectly fitted bulbs - the owner thinks he can do it himself,but doesn't fit the springclip correctly,so the bulb sits wrong.

In short - it's Christchurch.

MSTRS
4th September 2009, 09:36
Yep, very common. The one that really gets my goat is SUVs. Their lights are set just the same as cars...yet because they are so much higher to start with, their dip is as dazzling in the mirrors as as a car on highbeam. :bash:
Why can't there be a way of setting so that the physical distance their lights reach is the same as cars?

Beemer
4th September 2009, 09:46
I used to make a bet with myself that I'd see a certain number of one-headlight-out vehicles on the trip home from work each night when I lived in Lower Hutt. On the trip from Porirua over Haywards Hill I would invariably see between eight and 15!

It happened to me a few weeks ago when working in Kapiti - I was driving home from a job in Otaki and it was raining and on dip I thought "shit, these headlights aren't usually this crappy!" and thought I'd check them when I got home to make sure they were working okay. Pull up at home and the other half says "did you know your left headlight bulb had blown?" Sorted! He replaced it with one off his bike so it was back to normal the next day, but some vehicles you see with the whole headlight unit smashed to bits so it's not like that just happened that day.

I hate 4WDs and similar as their headlights are blinding. I've got to the stage where I'll pull over and let them pass as it's extremely wearing having one behind you.

Motu
4th September 2009, 17:46
Why can't there be a way of setting so that the physical distance their lights reach is the same as cars?

There is - over 800mm and the lights are set lower.Unfortunatly the range of allowance falls into the same as for lower than 800mm.

In the real world conically misaligned headlamps enough to cause glare is pretty rare - I bet if you stopped these vehicles and checked,they would have an incorrectly fitted bulb.

ready4whatever
4th September 2009, 17:51
The one that really gets my goat is SUVs...

Combination of SUV's and mums are dangerous in every sence of driving. They think they'l stop a train if they hit one. so nevermind the bikers

Spuds1234
4th September 2009, 23:19

On my brief ride home from work, about 9kms I counted no fewer than 12 miss adjusted head lights, one beam set right, the other, normally the passenger side being so out of correct alignment it would appear as if on high beam and shining nearly directly across the road, so is this just local to here? Or is there something deficient in testing sites?

An even more interesting question for the law enforcement officers, do you folks ever issue tickets for this now days? Or issue warnings?

Could have been me.

The shop has "fixed" my headlight twice now and both times I've had to lower it.

The second time I lowered it (tonight), high beam was pretty useless as it was pointing up in the air. The first time was when I bought the bike.

Creeping Death
4th September 2009, 23:37
The thing I hate is those damn LED headlights,the ones that look like they're permanently on full beam and sparkle blue or purple over every bump in the road!

Specially noticable on late model Terranos!

Gareth123
5th September 2009, 04:18
The thing I hate is those damn LED headlights,the ones that look like they're permanently on full beam and sparkle blue or purple over every bump in the road!

Specially noticable on late model Terranos!

But they look so pretty;)

JMemonic
5th September 2009, 06:54
Some interesting comments, thanks Motu for the info, I wonder sometimes though if the only light checked on the beam setters by some places are the drivers light as a workmate turned up at work with a new wof and no replacement bulb since with this problem, his was as you suggested a faulty install of the bulb, done by a garage at that.

CookMySock
5th September 2009, 07:03
The thing I hate is those damn LED headlights,the ones that look like they're permanently on full beam and sparkle blue or purple over every bump in the road! Specially noticable on late model Terranos!They are very noticeable if you put them on your bike too, which is why I do. They stick out like dogs' balls. Get some, they are a great safety addition. And purty too. ;)

Steve

scumdog
5th September 2009, 08:17
Yep, very common. The one that really gets my goat is SUVs. Their lights are set just the same as cars...yet because they are so much higher to start with, their dip is as dazzling in the mirrors as as a car on highbeam. :bash:

Not only the above but a lot of Surfs and old dungers like that have rear springs softer than Dawn Frenchs arse and the weight of a three litre box of Chateau Cardboard wine sitting in the back is enough to cause the rear of said vehicle to drop by about 6" - resulting in blinding headlights for oncoming traffic.:crazy:

scumdog
5th September 2009, 08:20

Frequently do down here, can't comment on Ch-Ch.

I also give out 'compliance' tickets to make sure something gets done, otherwise a month later and the vehicle STILL has one badly aimed light/ one 'dead' headlight or whatever...

merv
5th September 2009, 08:31
What gets me areall the dorks that drive with their low level driving lights on all the time, that offer stuff all improvement in their vision unless its foggy, yet they are flipping glary to us as oncoming traffic. Scummy needs to go around American style and smash a few with his night stick aka truncheon aka baton.

Motu, what's the law on them, I presume they aren't meant to be used with the normal headlights?

CookMySock
5th September 2009, 09:01
.. low level driving lights on all the time, that offer stuff all improvement in their vision unless its foggy .... I presume they aren't meant to be used with the normal headlights?No they are legal. They work very well getting the vehicle noticed, but as you observe they tend to polarise people. This is not a bad thing if you want people to notice you, if you are on a bike for example. They will hate your guts, but hey they won't pull out in front of you. ;)

Steve

slowpoke
5th September 2009, 10:33
So what about all the folks who drive around with their virtually useless park lights on, when it's raining etc?
Do they only wanna be seen a lil' bit? Don't wanna wear out their headlights? Are they saving their headlights for a rainy day? NEWSFLASH: it is blardy raining!

JMemonic
5th September 2009, 13:35
Frequently do down here, can't comment on Ch-Ch.

I also give out 'compliance' tickets to make sure something gets done, otherwise a month later and the vehicle STILL has one badly aimed light/ one 'dead' headlight or whatever...

Good to see there is one sensible office in the South Island, and now I know it is something you can do something about, it makes me wonder even more about the actions of some here who seem to have it in the too hard basket, guess I should pose the question to the head of police here as he is often in the news with a hardon for road safety.

FJRider
5th September 2009, 13:53
Motorcyclists can be guilty of this too. Beam height gets set with the bike empty in the workshop/garage. Load it up for a rally/tour ... with two up, and the beam is out. I have an adjustor on mine I have to adjust when loaded up.

Motu
5th September 2009, 14:01
A lot of Euro cars (including my Lada) have headlamp levellers...they can be adjusted down from the drivers seat when carrying loads in the rear.Drivers have no idea how to use them,and I find many adjusted to the lowest position.Of course no one complains about this - but they are driving blind at night.....

JMemonic
5th September 2009, 15:31
Motorcyclists can be guilty of this too. Beam height gets set with the bike empty in the workshop/garage. Load it up for a rally/tour ... with two up, and the beam is out. I have an adjustor on mine I have to adjust when loaded up.

Good point, I might need to remember that for ours.

Spuds1234
5th September 2009, 16:23
Yea but how often do you tour at night? And how often do you get annoyed by someone that has their highbeam on in the day?

Its like someone shining a torch in your face at night, you cant seen shit. If they did it during they day you would probably just say "meh" and carry on.

FJRider
5th September 2009, 16:35
Yea but how often do you tour at night? And how often do you get annoyed by someone that has their highbeam on in the day?

I went to Christchurch last weekend. The last three hours in the dark. An ill adjusted high beam can/could have, make life difficult ... and dangerous.

Even an hour on an unfamilar road, can be un-nerving with a poor high beam.

If it is a problem that you can fix ... then and there, why not.

How many bikers on this site, dont know how to adjust the lights on their bike ???

Pussy
5th September 2009, 16:41
So what about all the folks who drive around with their virtually useless park lights on, when it's raining etc?
Do they only wanna be seen a lil' bit? Don't wanna wear out their headlights? Are they saving their headlights for a rainy day? NEWSFLASH: it is blardy raining!

I refer to them as "parklight wankers" :)
Use them for PARKING, by all means.... but if the visibility is even marginally less, isn't it best to be seen.... ie have your headlights on?