PDA

View Full Version : ACC levies

SPman
14th November 2002, 23:17
Have those cocksuckers from ACC ignored all the submissions (1100) and increased the ACC levies for bikes anyway!!!!!
Whats up with these shitheads - theyre meant to be running a no fault, non discriminatory accident cover scheme here. Doesnt seem like it to me - they are playing their own little powergames and seem to think they are a fucking insurance company now!!!!!!!:argh: :beer:

SPman
14th November 2002, 23:29
Here we go - ACC recomendations for next year

That the composite average levy rate (including the petrol excise duty) increases by 25% from the current $169.67 to $211.95 per vehicle.

That the petrol excise duty increases from 2.3 cents per litre to 5.08 cents per litre.

That the motor cycle levy differential increases from 150% to 200% of the rate for standard vehicles. At the 200% differential, motor cycle owners would only be funding approximately 18% of the full funded costs of injuries to motor cyclists and/or their passengers.
:angry: :angry: :bash: :bash: :bash:

moko
15th November 2002, 08:24
not too sure what this levy is guys but accident cover for third parties is included in our insurance cover,is ACC some government thing?Basically here if you`re pillion on a bike and the rider has an accident you claim from his insurance company,this is compulsory all over europe and just built in to your insurance premium.Result so far seems to be a big increase in insurance for new and sports riders and a big resurgance in off-road bikes,DR400 is a really big seller here.

wari
19th November 2002, 07:31
Those bastards piss me off ... someone needs to get a little "postal" wiv 'em ... if you know what I mean.

:angry:

wari
19th November 2002, 07:47
Originally posted by moko
... ACC some government thing?

Yeah mate ... it's a monolithic government monopoly which is meant to cover any kind of accident that takes place in NZ ... from prisoners jumping the wall , to bikers being knocked off by a dopey , blind car driver ...

The gripe bikers have here with it is that bikers are being singled out for special attention because of the supposed cost of treatment and care for bike accidents .. never mind the fact that a good proportion of the accidents are actually caused by car drivers. Because of ACC there is no right to sue your employer or fellow citizen for negligence and compensation.

The levy is for everybike and is included in bike registration which is rising at an incredible rate due to the increasing levies. Therefore if you own more than one bike and you keep them registered , you are actually paying more than your fair share ... after all you can only ride one bike at a time.
Essentially bikers are being screwed!

Hamayar
19th November 2002, 15:03
That sounds absolute lunacy...

If the thing is a "Blanket cover" then one fee should
cover you, on "A bike"

irrespective of what bike, you only ride one at a time
(as you stated)

How in hell can you have an accident on two bikes
as a rider at the same time...

It defies logic and common sense:angry:

I can see the thinking behind the ACC thing..

Basically the idea sounds good if..........

it stops the personal injury/sue for damages fiasco that we
seem to be importing from the states, but our insurance costs
are rising so quickly to cover this that for a youngster (under 25)
to run a 1 litre sportsbike the cost is phenominal.

With the bike theft thing as well, many insurance companies
will refuse to insure many of the sports models if you live in a city.

But from what you state about the levels and conditions applied it sounds a load of.. Bollox..

They really need to sort that shite out,

Have you guys got some form of an "action group" to lobby MPs?

(not sure if you allow the same level as swearing as us on Bikezone LOL)

wari
19th November 2002, 15:40
I agree with the concept behind ACC ... but they seem to be more interested in filling the coffers than actually providing what they've been set up to do.

I dont want to see things go American with the right to sue here either.

And yeah ... there is a bit of an action group and there is even an MP who rides and alerted bikers to the ACC reviewing levies on bikers. Recently there was a protest ride and petition circulated. But the beaureaucrats ( how do ya spell that fricking word anyway?) took no notice of it. But then history tells us that polititians never do ... unless it's going to do them out of a job ... pricks!!!

Coldkiwi
19th November 2002, 17:45
Cocksuckers

So is there any avenue left to bitch/moan/ let our voice be heard before it's too late? or should I just go and pay my rego now before its due in January and they screw me over more then?

Stormer
19th November 2002, 18:38
You go in to pay, but instead of handing over a nice tidy cheque, dump a bucket of $1 coins (50 cent, 20 cent coins.... if you can get that many) on the counter, and say you`ll be back in an hour when they`ve finished counting them!
That should slow the system down and get the word out that we`re not going to put up with this shit.

denill
20th November 2002, 08:11
You may or may not have read this article which I posted, 17 Nov on: http://www.silver-bullet.co.nz/
This posting was written by: Peter McIntosh (#2524) National President Ulysses Club of NZ. and has been gleaned from the Ulysses List:
Your support for this rather more equitable ACC funding could be vital when it comes to discussion when it is tabled in Cabinet as a couple of thousand Motorcyclist`s voices can translate to politicians as a couple of thousand votes.

"I have spent some considerable time this afternoon talking with Ruth Dyson, the Minister for ACC. She has her own very definite ideas about how the ACC levies should be collected and her ideas should be endorsed and supported by motorcyclists everywhere.

The current ACC levy recommendations will be put before Cabinet on Wednesday, (20th November) along with Ruth Dyson's own proposals.

She does not support the increase for motorcycles but instead would like to see the ACC levy taken away from vehicle registration and put onto the cost of petrol - she is asking for 15.9 cents on every litre of petrol; that way everyone would pay as they go, according to their exposure to risk - the more miles, the more risk, the more you will pay and no way you can dodge paying your share! She does support a 22% across the board increase for all vehicle registrations but does not want to see the motorcycles pay the proposed 200%. She is also asking for a full review of how levies are collected now and in the future.

She has asked me to rally support for her in the Cabinet meeting - you can all help by contacting your local government MPs, regardless of whether or not they are in Cabinet. You can ring their local electoral office or contact them at Parliament. The more support she has, the more chance of success next Wednesday. So get on the phone, fax and email - ask your MP to support Ruth Dyson in the Cabinet meeting next week. She has also said that the number of submissions received on the vehicle account (over 1100) has greatly helped her cause, showing the depth of feeling out there among motorcyclists.

Please realise that ACC have to release their recommendations publically but this does not mean that they will be rubber stamped by the government. I believe that Ruth Dyson is going into bat for us, to try and secure a fair and equitable deal for all riders and drivers, regardless of how many vehicles/bikes they may own.

Get in contact your own MP - try your phone book for their electoral office phone number first or try this link -:Cabinet Member`s Contact Details: or :MP Contact Details:

Keep your requests for support to the point, positive and polite - being offensive or rude will not secure the support we need for the ACC Minister to succeed."

Regards
Peter McIntosh (#2524) National President Ulysses Club of NZ.

wari
20th November 2002, 13:51
But 15.9 cents per litre sounds like a shit load . I'd like to see some sums to give that justification.

Chances are our mate Ruth is trying to shaft everyone ... not just the bikers.

I dont like the sound of MORE tax going on petrol ... theres enough of that as it is.

Anyway fuel usage doesn't necessarily equate to miles driven and time on the road (or offroad boats , bikes, tanks etc .. ) when you consider the different efficiencies of vehicles. And dont say it will encourage people to use more economical vehicles or car pool cause it wont and thats not the reason for the tax anyway.

Milage clocked up per vehicle / per person (after all its the people who are covered by ACC) is probably a fairer system. How this could be managed is another story that I dont know the answer to, but am open to suggestions.

Working off the odometer of a vehicle like with diesels is not really an option , as we all know there would be some who would do a wind back. Plus its a pain in the arse buying mileage.

What say yous fullas? ... am I just being difficult or overly cynical or what?

Skunk
20th November 2002, 14:29
I would be happy to see it go onto petrol. Think about the side effects.

More mileage = more payment.
Big (damaging) vehicles = more payment.
Lower rego cost = register more bikes :D
Only pay for the bike you're using when you're using it.
Covers unregistered vehicles.

Best (usable) scheme I can see.

(And it can rise slowly instead of these large jumps we're seeing :rolleyes: )

SpankMe
20th November 2002, 14:46
Can't say I take much notice of the price of petrol. I give the man a $20 bill and he gives me my change.

What?
20th November 2002, 17:50
So we've all read the rhetoric, we have protested, we have exercised our democratic rights and made submissions to ACC and we have written to our MP's insisting they represent our views.

Yep, I reckon putting the levy on petrol is probably the fairest way of funding the ACC motor account, and it ought to be fully funded from fuel sales, so rego should only cost a few bucks (?)

BUT... You know what they are going to do to us, and I'll tell you this for nothing, they won't respect you in the morning!

SPman
20th November 2002, 22:11
Apparently, Ruth Dyson (Minister for ACC) actually favours funding through a tax on petrol - about 16c / litre, and doing away with the current system.

Bet you she won't get it through though. - although I'm quite happy to be proved wrong!:calm: