PDA

View Full Version : The blue lovely does poohs at Puhoi

Mom
6th September 2009, 17:17
Well maybe not poohs but she has certainly blown a fu fu and I fear it may be terminal :weep:

Went out today to play, as you do on such a glorious day. After seemingly sorting my fuelling issues enough to keep me from whinging on, and on, and on about them it was the least I could do really.

So, 150 odd k's of my kind of fun and then to the Puhoi for lunch. Back up the highway of doom and stopped for a roader in Warkworth. Sitting there admiring my blue lovely from afar I noticed some strange marks on her pipe and a suspicious glint where there should be none. Wandered over for decky and :gob: she has been spraying oil in no small volume all over the show. Luckily only a few minor splashes on the rear tyre.

Now she has run like a dream today. Only one thing different, and that is I filled her with 98 octane fuel last night on the way home. I only got 146 km's of range before reserve on her today. So, I have had a look see, the oil appears to be coming from in front of the transmission as I cant see how it would be blowing forwards, or perhaps it can? Though it does appear thicker between the transmission and the clutch.

In the pic you can see a bolt missing from the cover of the transmission, the casing behind is missing the lug to screw into, and the underneath of the cover is bone dry, no oil at all there.

Ideas?

yungatart
6th September 2009, 17:22
Blown gasket?
How dare she do this when you have just lavished loads of care and attention on her!

Mom
6th September 2009, 17:37
Blown gasket?
How dare she do this when you have just lavished loads of care and attention on her!

I dont know Tart, all I know is sudden oil loss like this, at the bottom of an engine usually spells the removal of said engine from frame to repair. I need someone to tell me if they can where it is coming from, so I know if I need to park her up for the duration (or at least till the bank has some funds) or if, with my dolly tool and 1/4" socket set I can fix from the outside.

*sigh*

Mom
6th September 2009, 17:41
If it helps here, the blue lovely does not leak oil. Never seen a tell tale wet patch under her at all.

I have her parked up on the centre stand with some absorbent material under her to see if she drips anything. I tried to see if I could see any oil pushing out with the engine running, but no luck.

Edbear
6th September 2009, 17:42
I can't offer an opinion myself, but Kelvin at Kaiwaka Suzuki is a good guy and should be able to tell you what the problem is and what it would take to fix at least.

Sorry to hear your day was rather spoiled...

Mom
6th September 2009, 17:45
I can't offer an opinion myself, but Kelvin at Kaiwaka Suzuki is a good guy and should be able to tell you what the problem is and what it would take to fix at least.

Well not exactly spoiled, but certainly finished with a large cloud of bummer settling over me :lol:

Kickaha
6th September 2009, 17:48
she has been spraying oil in no small volume all over the show. Luckily only a few minor splashes on the rear tyre.

A little bit of oil will make a big mess so it may not be as bad as it looks

So, I have had a look see, the oil appears to be coming from in front of the transmission as I cant see how it would be blowing forwards, or perhaps it can? Though it does appear thicker between the transmission and the clutch.

You'd be surprised what the little wind currents around the engine can do

In the pic you can see a bolt missing from the cover of the transmission, the casing behind is missing the lug to screw into, and the underneath of the cover is bone dry, no oil at all there.

That cover is just to make the end of the engine look a bit tidier,and if the seal at the end of the crank had gone behind it there would be oil in there

Clean it with brake clean or degreaser and run it for a while or just go around the block and check it again, most likely it is from the clutch cover gasket or the sump gasket both of which would be easy repairs with the engine in the bike

Mom
6th September 2009, 17:50
A little bit of oil will make a big mess so it may not be as bad as it looks

You'd be surprised what the little wind currents around the engine can do

most likely it is from the clutch cover gasket or the sump gasket both of which would be easy repairs

Oh, you know that is the nicest thing anyone has said to me today.

Maha
6th September 2009, 18:08

You mean.....sp oiled?....:lol:

MSTRS
6th September 2009, 18:21
Ooooh bugger. Hopefully it is just a blown gasket. and you were going to break it to get at the clutch anyway.
The missing bolt is on a dry area cover anyway, so that's not your problem.
I do see a shiny sort of (scratch?) under the vertical bolt in the centre...that's not a crack in the casting, is it?

Sidewinder
6th September 2009, 18:23
yamaha, need i say more?:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Mom
6th September 2009, 18:27
Ooooh bugger. Hopefully it is just a blown gasket. and you were going to break it to get at the clutch anyway.
The missing bolt is on a dry area cover anyway, so that's not your problem.
I do see a shiny sort of (scratch?) under the vertical bolt in the centre...that's not a crack in the casting, is it?

God I hope not. How would a casting simply crack? In fact how would a gasket just let go all of a sudden? I will clean it up, and run it till I find the problem.

yamaha, need i say more?:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

So you are a fan of Yay Maha's too then sweetie? :blip:

Want to come and help me clean up the mess she made? Hells teeth, what a shocker.

Ms Piggy
6th September 2009, 19:34
That bad bike! She should know better than that! Gawd, I hope you can get her fixed up luvvy.

Pedrostt500
6th September 2009, 19:45
Externaly Lubricated

Edbear
6th September 2009, 19:46
You mean.....sp oiled?....:lol:

SP's the good oil.... :2thumbsup

...So you are a fan of Yay Maha's too then sweetie? :blip:....

"You must spread..." :lol:

The Pastor
6th September 2009, 22:19
put the bike on the side stand and take the covers off and have a look at the gaskets, then use a product called hlyomar (from repco etc) and rub that over the gasket - it works wonders.

if the gaskets are gone, replace em

Edit - if its the sump gasket, you'll need to drain the oil, if its the clutch cover you should be ok without draining the oil.

Mom
6th September 2009, 22:26
Edit - if its the sump gasket, you'll need to drain the oil, if its the clutch cover you should be ok without draining the oil.

The plan is to do the clutch anyway, so that gasket is going to have to be replaced anyway, it looks like someone else has siliconed it before today. I am picking sump gasket here, but who knows really. Will have to clean it up to see exactly where is is coming from first. Whatever I wont be riding her till it is fixed. Best I get on with it really, can't waste this weather.

WHy would a gasket simply let go like that though?

The Pastor
6th September 2009, 22:31
The plan is to do the clutch anyway, so that gasket is going to have to be replaced anyway, it looks like someone else has siliconed it before today. I am picking sump gasket here, but who knows really. Will have to clean it up to see exactly where is is coming from first. Whatever I wont be riding her till it is fixed. Best I get on with it really, can't waste this weather.

WHy would a gasket simply let go like that though?
they dont last forever, and need replacing when they break.

If its been siliconed, then i'd susspect that "gasket" first.

Check the oil level in your bike and top it up (if it needs it) and it'll be 100% fine to ride - but im assuming your bike is a weekend warrior so no real need to ride it with a tiny leak.

FJRider
6th September 2009, 22:31
If it's been siliconed ... it looks like it already had "let go" at some stage. Even silicone does not last forever ...

Kickaha
6th September 2009, 22:32
if its the clutch cover you should be ok without draining the oil.

You would have to either drain the oil or put the bike down on the left hand side

The Pastor
6th September 2009, 22:34
You would have to either drain the oil or put the bike down on the left hand side
is sidestand not on the left hand side for her bike?

Kickaha
6th September 2009, 22:39
is sidestand not on the left hand side for her bike?

It is and you may get away with that but I think on the 550 (basically the same motor) I still had to drain the oil

The Pastor
6th September 2009, 22:41
It is and you may get away with that but I think on the 550 (basically the same motor) I still had to drain the oil
oh right, i know it works for most newer bikes